P-cubed & linkback love.

by Janetha on January 23, 2012

in how to,moves

another monday down! only 49 left this year.. and a few of those are holidays. always looking on the bright side, right?

my day was jam packed. mondays always are, but i also have a lot to get done before leaving town—both at work and at home.

moves-300x94

after a long day at the office, i ran a few errands around town and then headed to the gym. i missed yesterday’s workout since i was snowboarding, so i decided to pick up where i left off and completed the livefit workout that i missed.

my upper body is pretty weak, so pay no attention to the light weights.  here is how it went down. each set was completed three times before moving onto the next set.

shoulders/triceps/calves.

• narrow pushups (triceps focus): body weight on toes x 10 reps

working set + active rest:

• standing calf raises: 140# x 20 reps
  • calf raise on leg press: 135# x 20 reps
  • imaginary jump rope: 1 minute

sprints:

• 30 second sprint (ranging from 9 MPH-10 MPH)
  • 30 second rest
  • repeat for a total of 30 minutes

meals

after the gym i headed home to whip up marshall’s dinner idea: prosciutto pineapple pizza. P-cubed!

IMG 9634

it’s not really a recipe, but i thought i would share how we make our homemade pizza since we have it so often. i say “we” because this is one meal marshall loves to help out with. he doesn’t like to cook very much, but when it comes to spaghetti, tacos, or pizza.. he’s the man.

our favorite way to make pizza is on the grill, but since it’s january and cold outside.. we use our baking stone.

IMG 9600

it’s not pretty, but it sure has been used a lot!  this stone was a gift from marshall’s mom, but they are very affordable at any kitchen store. baking stones are not just for pizza—they are great for cookies, rolls, or anything you’d use a standard baking sheet for.  the stone helps cook the food more evenly and creates a nice, brown bottom on whatever you’re cooking. i definitely recommend investing in one, you won’t be disappointed.

anyway.. back to cooking pizza at home. it really is super simple AND cheap compared to ordering a pizza. (not to mention a lot healthier.) the multigrain dough from whole foods is only $3 a ball. granted, i could probably make it from scratch for even cheaper, but convenience and being sure it’ll turn out delicious every time is worth the $3 to me.

so, here are the ingredients that went into tonight’s pizza:

• one ball of whole food’s multigrain dough + WW flour for dusting
  • 6 oz (about half a can) of pizza sauce
  • 4 oz grated low moisture, part skim mozzarella cheese
  • 4 oz chopped prosciutto
  • 6 oz chopped pineapple (we used canned rings and chopped them)

method:

1. let dough sit at room temperature for at least one hour.
  2. place a baking stone in a cold oven, turn heat to 500° F.
  3. roll dough in flour so it doesn’t stick.
  4. using hands, shape dough into a pizza crust. make it as thin or thick as you want.
  5. place dough on flat surface (we use a pizza spatula but used a cutting board before we had this gadget.)
  6. layer sauce, cheese, and toppings as desired.
  7. once oven has preheated, pull oven tray out and slide uncooked pizza onto the pizza stone.
  8. bake for 10-12 minutes.
  9. remove from oven. let the pizza cool for a few minutes before slicing & eating. yes, we have had burnt mouths in our house because we are impatient!
  10. the best part is that as the pizza cools, the bottom of the crust keeps cooking on the stone and crisps up really nicely! if you want to stop it from getting any crispier, make sure you remove it from the stone.

IMG 9607IMG 9602
IMG 9605IMG 9608

we had our pizza with salad tonight. i prepped the salad while the pizza was in the oven. this is such a quick & healthy dinner option! marshall and i got home from the gym at 7:05 and we were eating by 7:30.

IMG 9632

i plugged this recipe into myfitnesspal.com and a 2-slice serving (based on the pizza making 8 slices) is 465 calories, 64g carbs, 27g protein, 12g fat, and 10g fiber. good thing it’s a high carb day, right? but seriously.. this pizza is healthy. it is WAY better for you than pizza hut or dominos. it tastes eight hundred fifty three times better, too.

here are a few of our other favorite pizza combos we frequently make:

shredded chicken, red onions, mozzarella, & barbecue sauce image

turkey pepperoni, black olives, green bell peppers, mozzarella, & marinara sauce

grilled chicken, artichokes, tomatoes, feta, & pesto

what are some of your favorite pizza combos?

****************************************************************

LINKBACK LOVE ROUND 1!

when somebody links back to one of my blog posts, i get an email notification. those notifications make me smile, because it means someone enjoyed one of my blog posts enough to blog about it and link back to it. you guys, as readers, don’t know when someone links back to my blog posts.

i thought it would be fun to feature some posts from people who have linked back to my posts so you can see what THEY are saying. sometimes they mention a little bit about the same topic within their blog post, and other times they write a full post on the topic. either way, it’s fun to see what THEY have to say in THEIR post.. whether it’s directly related to my post or not.  nothing wrong with a little linkback love, right?

from my app happy post about iphone apps:

from my post about the zero scale:

from my body for life page:

from my pinterested post:

recipes that other bloggers have made & linked back to my recipe pages:

i love seeing what other people in blog land have to say about similar topics, and i really love to see their versions of recipes and how they turned out. hope you have a minute to check these awesome blog posts out! who knows, you may find a few new blogs to add to your reader.

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 23, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Oh I love HOMEmade pizza!! THis looks awesome, Janetha! My fav pizza combos include veggies, goat cheese, spinach OR chicken, artichoke, pesto, spinach OR veggies, turkey pepperoni and cheese.

Nice work on the workout–looks like a good/hard one!

Leslie January 23, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I looove making homemade pizza too! For the longest time I didn’t have a pizza spatula or a pizza stone, so I’d just roll the dough out directly onto my baking sheet. For Christmas I got a pizza stone and a wooden pizza spatula. I assumed I’d roll & assemble the pizza on the spatula, then just shake it to slide the pizza off, and onto the hot stone. Oh my, what a disaster. I don’t know why my pizza wouldn’t just slide right off. My boyfriend and I wound up using multiple spatulas to lift the fully-loaded pizza crust from the spatula to the stone, while his sister held the spatula steady! It was a hot mess…am I missing something??? How in the world do I easily (and without 6 hands) slide my pizza from my wooden spatula to my hot stone?

Janetha January 23, 2012 at 8:58 pm

We put a little corn meal or flour on the spatula and it slides off.. it has stuck a bit before (and did tonight, hence not having a perfect circle pizza) but it works way better than using 3 pancake spatulas like before, haha!

J @ ... semplicemente j ... January 23, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I could go for a P-Cubed right now … What is your delivery #?

Janetha January 23, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Haha! 8-6-7-5-3-0-9!!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy January 23, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I love putting caramelized onions and goat cheese and a bunch of other stuff on my pizzas. Just depends on the day. Trader Joes also has some great, cheap pizza dough.

Janetha January 23, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Ohhh I know I love their’s! I wish I had a TJs.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) January 23, 2012 at 9:17 pm

i have ALWAYS wanted a legit pizza stone! also I want to try grilling pizza! i know i have seen it on your blog before but I still havent tried it (being that it IS winter and all and I rarely brave the grill) xoxox

Julie @ Sugarfoot Eats January 23, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Yay for linkback love! I’m always now obsessed with Scramble with Friends thanks to you, ha!! If you need more people to play against, my user name is charlottejulie. :)

Heidi Nicole January 23, 2012 at 9:41 pm

That pizza looks amazing! I love pineapple on my pizza but The Husband hates it. We can never eat more than once pizza and he even gets upset if I do halfsies. Silly man. I suppose I should just start doing individual pizzas…

Denise G January 23, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I just found out about your blog a couple of weeks ago and I love it. The pizza looks awesome…I use a baking stone as well. It works well in the oven and on the grill.

Thanks for doing what you do…you are quite the inspiration. Plus it’s nice to see someone who hates cardio as much as I do.

Janetha January 24, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Denise! It’s comments like this that keep me blogging.

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva January 23, 2012 at 10:48 pm

your homemade pizza is making me hungry….I used to eat pizza all the time…friday night treat and all. But since I found out I’m intolerant to dairy and gluten it has been off the menu. Gluten free pizza bases just don’t rock my world in the same way. I did however make a polenta pizza base that turned out yummo! Linkback love is excellent….looks like ur shephards pie is a hit!
Btw how long do ur workouts normally take you??? I’m only on week 2 and the workouts seem to take me about an hour….back and biceps left me exhausted yesterday….but feeling good!!

Janetha January 24, 2012 at 11:49 pm

The first two weeks of Phase 3 the workouts take about 90 minutes.. the last 2 weeks they take a bit less.. maybe just over an hour!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 24, 2012 at 12:32 am

pineapple on pizza is the ONLY way. That, along with lots of red peppers or red pepper flakes is my deal. The sweet with the heat. Your pizza looks perfect!

Em (Wine and Butter) January 24, 2012 at 2:46 am

I LOVE homemade pizza!! I ve recently got really into making a wholewheat flax crust (which I posted the recipe for and which is genuinely amazing!!). Good going on the workout – WISH I was still doing that much exercise!

Erica January 24, 2012 at 4:02 am

So fabulous that your trip is coming up- you must be super excited. Homemade pizza is amazing and I am loving my pizza stone. I can’t wait until its broken in. Josh and I love pineapple on pizza.

Michelle (Better with Berries) January 24, 2012 at 4:17 am

That pizza looks delish – and easy! I didn’t know you could get dough for such an affordable price at whole foods… actually, I’ve never even been to whole foods! Guess I might need to try it!

Lauren January 24, 2012 at 4:58 am

Love making our own pizza. I just made one the other night but sadly it didn’t come out as good as usual. I think it was the dough….TJ’s has some wonderful products but their pizza dough is not one of them.

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health January 24, 2012 at 5:29 am

Oh yum those pizzas look tasty!! I too love getting those emails when someone has linked to one of my posts! It makes me so excited :D.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 24, 2012 at 5:36 am

You make me so nervous for phase 3 – that looks intense!!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) January 24, 2012 at 5:55 am

p-cubed sounds like heaven to me! i like the idea of grilling on a pizza stone too!

Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten-free January 24, 2012 at 6:16 am

That pizza looks great! I can’t live without my pizza stone, it’s the best for baking bread, biscuits, and homemade pizza.

I also loved that you called it p-cubed – anytime there is a phrase or title with alliteration, I always called it “squared” or “cubed”.

glidingcalm January 24, 2012 at 6:43 am

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM WHO DOESNT LIKE PIZZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yours looks fantabulous!!!

papa gc is obsessed with his pizza stone… baking cookies on it sounds like a GREAT idea, but i doubt he’d ever let me come near it with stuff that wasnt bread/pizza dough. he is pretty protective!!

hope you are having a great week , J!

hugs,
gc

Clare @ Fitting It All In January 24, 2012 at 6:51 am

ahh just seeing that workout terrifies me. All the weights and active rest and THEN 30 minutes of sprints! intense.

Sara @my less serious life January 24, 2012 at 7:16 am

yum! i recently discovered the joys of making my own pizza at home. so good!

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy January 24, 2012 at 7:16 am

Pesto pizza makes my life a better place. I love making my own dough but it’s such a pain I don’t do it nearly enough, and the last time I froze it it was meh… If only we had a Whole Foods! On second thought, it’s probably best that we don’t.

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life January 24, 2012 at 7:35 am

Homemade pizza is the best. And even better yet, it’s one of the few foods that I can actually get my husband to make for me :)

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) January 24, 2012 at 7:41 am

i haven’t made homemade pizza in forever! and nice workout lady :)

Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed January 24, 2012 at 8:29 am

I love homemade pizza!!!! I’m a big fan of a white pizza with a ton of veggies and some ricotta. Now I’m hungry!

Life's a Bowl January 24, 2012 at 8:47 am

ALL of your pizzas look mighty fine but the P squared and turkey pepperoni with veggies are making my hungry tummy rumble and my mouth water! We really need to invest in a pizza stone, don’t think the baking sheet is making the cut…

Paige @ Running Around Normal January 24, 2012 at 8:51 am

We very rarely make homemade pizza for some reason! We should do it more often. I just hate making the dough and letting it rise and rest and all that.

Paige @ Running Around Normal January 24, 2012 at 9:07 am

Also, too bad there’s no WF type store around me to buy pre-made dough……

Janetha January 24, 2012 at 9:31 am

It’s probably better that you make your own, honestly! I am just lazy and scared of yeast. Have a good recipe?

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 24, 2012 at 8:58 am

We make pizza every single Friday at home. Sometimes I make dough, but usually we are lazy and just use flatbreads to make them on. Homemade dough is so much better though… I’ll have to look for that dough at Whole Foods- that would be so convenient!
We love to grill pizza outside but yeah- not so much in the winter. I got a pizza stone a few months ago and used it ONCE. I don’t have a pizza paddle and I’m assuming that it’s mandatory since me dough just stuck to the stone…
Have you made cookies on the stone? I hear that’s good too…

Cat @Breakfast to Bed January 24, 2012 at 9:10 am

I LOVE taco pizza and goat cheese and grilled vegetables, or a nice, nyc grease pie with pepperoni and onion. Uh huhh. THAT.

Sarah January 24, 2012 at 9:30 am

Ooh, your pizza looks delicious! I keep saying I need to get a pizza stone; your photos certainly confirmed that.
Thank you for mentioning me under Linkback Love! That was a fun post to write:-).

Katie January 24, 2012 at 9:35 am

I LOVE pineapple on pizza. I need to make pizza soon – I had an instant craving looking at your pictures.

Theodora January 24, 2012 at 9:45 am

I <3 lamp.

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 24, 2012 at 10:22 am

WOW!!!! This pizza looks amazing….please, please, just invite me over ;)

I love weights and need to try this routine, thank you!!!!

xxoo

Nicole @ Making Good Choices January 24, 2012 at 10:26 am

thanks for linking to me! :) :)

Kristen January 24, 2012 at 10:26 am

For the post “It makes me sad” or whatever it was, it actually is GOOD that McDonald’s is taking initiative to post that…it isn’t JUST McDonald’s, it is any starchy thing we make at home, buy at the store, etc etc etc that is heated to a certain temperature that could possibly cause this chemical reaction. It was actually very stupid on McDonald’s part to not express this! Even when we roast vegetables or meats and they brown/blacken, that causes carcinogenic compounds to form b/c the proteins present are changing. It is very interesting, kind of scary too! Obviously wikipedia is not a reliable source but it has the easiest to comprehend explanation:

“Acrylamide also occurs in many cooked starchy foods and is of concern as a possible carcinogen.[2] Acrylamide was accidentally discovered in foods in April 2002 by scientists in Sweden when they found the chemical in starchy foods, such as potato chips, French fries, and bread that had been heated (production of acrylamide in the heating process was shown to be temperature-dependent).[2] It was not found in food that had been boiled[2][3] or in foods that were not heated.[2]
In February 2009, Health Canada announced that they were assessing whether acrylamide, which occurs naturally during the cooking of French fries, potato chips, and other processed foods, is a hazard to human health and whether any regulatory action needs to be taken. They are currently collecting information on the properties and prevalence of acrylamide in order to make their assessment.[4] In December 2009, after a positive reception from the food industry, Health Canada invited comment from the public on this proposal.[5]”

This is why people claim raw diets are ideal, lol. Of course nobody is right and moderation is key!

Janetha January 24, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Thanks for sharing that nugget of info, Kristen! It’s definitely important to point out that it’s not just McDs. Did you leave the same comment on the linked post? I bet it would be beneficial to their readers, so I hope you do! xo

Tina @ Best Body Fitness January 24, 2012 at 11:30 am

Your homemade pizza always look so delicious! Just pinned it! :)

Janetha January 24, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Thanks, Tina!

Errign January 24, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I started tackling homemade pizza in 2009, I think and it is SO easy. Give it a shot, you’ll love it! I make mine like 1/3 ap flour and 2/3 whole wheat, but I’ve also done a combo of spelt and whole wheat bread flour that came out pretty good!

Rachel C January 24, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Happy National Peanut Butter Day! :)

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish January 24, 2012 at 9:09 pm

It makes me so happy that you and Marshall both love pineapple on your pizza as much as I do. The savory-sweet combination can’t be beat! And the pineapple is so juicy…gah, my mouth is watering now.

Thanks for the link linkback love! You’ve been a huge fitness inspiration to me; I love sharing your blog with my readers and friends! :-) xoxo

Kim @ The Family Practice January 26, 2012 at 8:20 pm

We have a pizza stone and that same pizza peel – ha! We get the Jiffy box mix for the dough which is super cheap and really yummy. Nick even does the spin-the-dough-in-the-air thing! Our regulars are margerita, bbq chicken and chicken pesto, although we just started doing Thai pizza which is freakin amazing