try something new: grill a pizza.

by Janetha on June 18, 2011

in how to

there are a lot of things i have never done. there are a lot of things i have done and do over and over and over again. i want to do more new things and less of the same things.

that was a pretty vague opener.  by “the same things” i mean things like:

• cooking the same meals
  • doing the same workouts
  • eating at the same restaurants

each day is a new opportunity to try something different. this summer, i want to focus more on doing things i have never done rather than the same old, same old.

new meals at home keep our taste buds entertained. new workouts keep our bodies guessing so we don’t find ourselves in a rut. new restaurants are just awesome because there are SO many out there just waiting to be tried.

i had pizza on the meal plan for last night’s dinner. instead of making the pizza in the oven like i have done in the past, i decided that we would grill the pizza.. something we’ve never done before.

it was almost too quick and easy!

i bought a ball of multigrain dough from whole foods.  yes, i could have made it myself, but sometimes shortcuts are best.. especially at 8 o’clock on a friday night and your husband is hungry.

we don’t have a rolling pin, so i used a bottle of wine to roll out the dough. improvisations, people.

IMG_9485IMG_9489

marshall heated the grill to 600 degrees and sprayed it with olive oil.

down the dough went, right on the grill.

after about two minutes, the bottom of the dough was crisp and the top was starting to bubble, so we took it off the grill.

a tad charred.. no big deal.

next, we layered on the toppings.  the toppings go on the side that was grilled, in case you are unclear.

first came the pizza sauce. my favorite is the muir glen organic pizza sauce.. it’s really tasty.

cheese.. lots of cheese.

fresh sliced tomatoes and green bell peppers.

i also added trader joe’s 21 seasoning salute and basil at the last minute. i actually forgot about the basil and wish i had remembered before we put the cheese on.. ideally, i like the basil to go on top of the sauce before the cheese. oh well.

back onto the grill!

after about 3 or 4 minutes, the pizza was done!  it was the fasted pizza cooking experience of my life!  (aside from those 90 second microwave pizzas i ate in high school…)

i had a couple slices.

surprisingly, these two slices filled me up! there was no protein on the pizza, so i was worried that i would need to eat the whole pizza and there would be none left for marshall.  lucky for him, there was pizza still left over after we were both nice and full.

grilling a pizza was just one of many new things i want to try this summer.  however, i liked it so much, that it may call for a few repeats… that’s OK, as long as we use different toppings, right?

1. what is one new thing you have tried recently?

2. what is one new thing you want to try?

jessiker June 18, 2011 at 11:56 am

I want to try to make my own stuffed mushrooms on the grill like Beth would always make when we would bbq at your old house.
I recently discovered rocket arugula and I want to eat more things and find more recipes with that in it. It’s really good.

I love your pizza it’s cute. Looks delicious too (except peppers lol)
Should we bbq for my birthday?

Janetha June 18, 2011 at 12:05 pm

i love arugula! soo pepppery. yeah, lets grill for your bday!

Mayntard June 18, 2011 at 11:57 am

I’d suggest rubbing the grill with Olive Oil from a paper towel. When you spray it on and you get the flame it burns away a lot of the oil. I used to be a spray guy myself. Now I just grab a paper towel and put a tablespoon of the virgin on it and rub down the grill.

Perfect grill marks every time.

For your protein fix just grill a chicken breast while you cook the dough. Slice that sucker up and bam, protien!

My only problem is I can’t eat pizza without beer.

Janetha June 18, 2011 at 12:06 pm

i had some chicken but i am so lazy… i didn’t want to cook it. haha oh well! marshall said he wished we had some prosciutto. maybe next time.

thanks for the tip about the oil! we will do that next time for sure!

who said beer with pizza is a problem? sounds like a solution.

Emily June 18, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I have plans to grill pizza tonight! Now I’m super excited :) I’ve done it once at a cooking class, but it’ll be new to me at home!

I want to try swimming lessons, that’s new to me :)

Marisa @ Loser for Life June 18, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I love grilled pizza! I use a baking stone put right on my grill grates, let that heat up and then put the dough on that. It tastes just like brick oven pizza! So good!

fittingbackin June 18, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I’ve yet to grill a pizza, I want to though!

Lately… hmm I’ve tried weird seasonings like garam masala and cardamom!

Erica June 18, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Grilled pizza is the BEST! Love. I actually spray the bottom of the dough before I put it on the grill (vs. spraying the grates). I’m sure both work just the same :). One new thing I tried lately? White pizza. Love. I want to try grilling strawberries

Janetha June 18, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Erica, you are so dang smart! Spraying the dough is such a better idea! Thanks.

kris (everyday oats) June 18, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I’ve been grilling a lot lately from tofu to pineapples, but I’m thinking grilled pizza is the next thing I want to try :) Ever since I saw bobby flay grill a pizza I’ve been intrigued, but I never knew it was so quick to cook!

Janetha June 18, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Bobby Flay is such a grillmaster!

Lisa June 18, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I have been wanting to try pizza on the grill as well. Maybe the upcoming 4th of July weekend will be a good time.

How would you compare pizza from the grill to pizza from the oven? (Obviously, both are good, but is one a clear winner?)

Janetha June 18, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Grill for sure–for me. I loved the crispy, smoky outside and doughy inside of the crust! Also, it was more fun.

tea-bag June 18, 2011 at 1:21 pm

i’ve been wanting to try grilled oysters! something about that smoky, briny taste seems so appealing!
something new i have tried – archer farm’s sea salt & caramel coffee. let me save you the money. don’t buy it. it’s like crap in a coffee mug!

Janetha June 18, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Hahahaha crap in a coffee mug. No bueno. I don’t by flavored coffees, but if I ever start.. I will make sure it isn’t with that one.

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife June 18, 2011 at 1:23 pm

OKay that looks realllllyy good! I have never had my own grilled pizza, so I need to do this!

sofia June 18, 2011 at 1:36 pm

oooh this looks great. I wonder if you can just put toppings on and throw the dough and all on the grill without the pre-grilling step? I’ll add this to my list of things to try :) Along with making my own tortilla chips, refried beans, nut butter, sushi, cupcakes, and mole sauce. Yeah, I’ve got a lot on my plate ;)

This morning BT and I made our first apple pie. I’d made pie before, but he had not, and this one had a lattice crust. My first fancy crust, needless to say, we’re pretty excited about it ;)

Hope you have a lovely weekend, lady!

Janetha June 19, 2011 at 12:17 pm

i am not sure if you could skip it–te top might be way more doughy than the base. but that may not be a bad thing now that i think about it.

LATTICE crust?! fancy shmancy for sure! how was it?!

sofia June 19, 2011 at 4:46 pm

fabulous! a small error with the apples (never pre-slice and prepare with sugar, spices and flour and leave overnight) but the crust was FABULOUS. pictures and deets to come!

Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health June 18, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I have had that dough before! And we don’t have a rolling pin either, so I used a can of soup haha…I really want to try, or I guess I should say learn, how to really cook. I can do simple things, but I’ve never taken the time to do anything too difficult. I’m soooo bored with the food I eat!

glidingcalm June 18, 2011 at 2:12 pm

bomb,to die for.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 18, 2011 at 2:12 pm

1. what is one new thing you have tried recently?
new camera gear!

2. what is one new thing you want to try?
more camera gear :)
and grilling a pizza! That looks sooo good! And fun!

McIntosh June 18, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Seriously…this is a dream (fantasy?) come true for me. Always wanted to grill a pizza and yours looks amazing!

Biz June 18, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I want to make spring rolls this weekend – I love them in restaurants and finally found the right wrappers – woot!

Your grilled pizza looks delicious!

Errign June 18, 2011 at 3:05 pm

I love grilled pizza! I usually cook it at a little lower temp, but I’m not sure if my grill even gets that hot. :)

New things I’ve tried: garbanzo bean flour, chocolate pecan butter, marinaded tofu.

Things I want to try: So many food items & restaurants in Asheville!

cathyd June 18, 2011 at 3:18 pm

nice work on the pizza experiment! i would never have guessed that pizza would grill up that fast (can you tell i’ve never tried that!).
i’m with you on trying new things – that is the theme of 2011 for me, to have 41 new experiences. i’m almost half way there!
have a great saturday, j!

Lindsey June 18, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I tried pita pizzas the other day! I was a good alternative when you don’t have pizza dough or want to make a pizza for one or in your case two separate kinds!

I want to try making my own tofu, I have in the past but failed…time to try again!

Pure2raw twins June 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm

grill pizza looks amazing!! must try it sometime ;)

one new thing I have just tried was putting beets in my avocado pudding. luckily it was a success ;)

dana @ my little celebration June 18, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Fun! I’ve had grilled pizza at a summer party before but never made it myself. It was Deeee-licious though.

One thing I want to try is making Indian food at home. I’ve always been a little intimidated of it since the ingredients can be exotic, but I’m sure I’d like it if I tried it!

Alex June 18, 2011 at 5:40 pm

oh my deliciousness, that pizza looks amazing! i am so trying it this weekend. thanks for sharing!

The Delicate Place June 18, 2011 at 5:48 pm

flippin read my mind. nate was asking me to think of things to grill and then he said what about pizza. no less than 2 mins later, you tweeted about it?! gah. scary! one new to me thing i’ve tried has been roasted wasabi nori sheets as a snack. pack some heat but i love the savory! one thing i’d love to try but can’t seem to find is ‘amande’ cultured almond yogurt…however i’ve been kinda loving goat’s milk yogurt lately because it’s tangy and easy for me to digest.

Tiffany @ Simply Shaka June 18, 2011 at 5:55 pm

That looks spectacular! My friend was just saying she needed ideas of fun stuff to cook on the grill and I threw out the idea of grilling a pizza. I’ve never tried it but I see others doing it and they all look great.

PBJenny June 18, 2011 at 6:00 pm

your pizza is heart shaped :)

Janetha June 19, 2011 at 12:16 pm

i kind of thought it was the shape of the ghosts in PACMAN, but if you see a heart, i’ll take it!

Eden June 18, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Dude, try grilling stuffed grape leaves! So good. And grilled pound cake is heaven. Seriously, stuff with fire is awesome.

As a chef, I should be all nazi and say “no shortcuts!”. But frankly, all the more power to shortcuts! Less cleanup and more time spent eating and lighting stuff on fire.

Janetha June 19, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Can we light stuff on fire when I come? I mean, aside from your birthday candles :)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 18, 2011 at 6:28 pm

I am dying to grill pizza! I have visions of me setting something on fire. I don’t quite trust myself using a grill!

Naomi June 18, 2011 at 6:30 pm

thats so cool! I never thought about grilling pizza!! love that idea :)

supppper creative!

hmmm most creative thing I have done, thats a toughy its been a while since Ive been too creative LOL…I guess it was when I decided to put sweet potato in my smoothie! OMG best decision everr

Abby June 18, 2011 at 7:59 pm

One new thing that I have tried recently is Lucious Lemon fro yo. It was so good! :)

One new thing I want to try is tempeh. I have a package of it in my fridge…I just need to figure out what I want to do with it! :)

Dani (Dani Delicatessen) June 18, 2011 at 9:14 pm

I’ve never thought of making it that way! It seems like it would make the crust much more crispy which i love…i’ll have to give it a try soon. Something new I recently tried was habitat for humanity-it was so hard (i’m not very well tool-oriented) but well worth it. Something I would like to try, making baklava!

Susan June 19, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Omg, I want to grill a pizza sooooooo badly! I actually have pizza dough in my freezer right now ready to be made. I mentioned grilling it to my dad (he’s the grillmaster, the house across the street blew up because of a bbq and I don’t want to do the same) and he didn’t really get it. I will have to show him this post to convince him it can be done!

Karen June 19, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I have never tried to grill pizza before but that looks amazing! One thing I have tried recently was a green smoothie. One sip and I’m hooked : )

April June 19, 2011 at 8:19 pm

The one time I tried to grill a pizza it was a hot mess! It stayed mushy in the middle, I ended up having to scrape it off the grill and chunk it in the oven! I may try your tricks this week!

Lenna June 20, 2011 at 6:21 am

That pizza looks great! I am also doing often the same things over again – workouts, meals etc… Recently I did something new – I ditched all my cosmetics and bought all-natural products. I am happy with my decision so far:)

Taysa June 20, 2011 at 1:43 pm

My boyfriend and I also grilled pizza for the first time on Saturday! It was delicious, and the only problem I saw with it was that ours got a bit charred as well. No biggie. We went with mozzarella, artichokes, tomatoes and garlic. Yum!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] June 21, 2011 at 10:20 am

I love pizza on the grill! I haven’t done it since my Utah days though! I love your wine bottle rolling pin.

New things I’ve tried lately (and am completely obsessed with): fresh basil in my salads. It pairs perfectly with balsamic and goat cheese.

Sarah June 23, 2011 at 9:05 am

This time of year I’m so jealous of ppl with a grill – grilling all kinds of crazy stuff like pizza and fruit! The wine bottle rolling pin makes me nolostagic for my pre-rolling pin days. I think the wine bottle is the universal solution!

holly June 27, 2011 at 9:57 am

i have seen this several places lately – now, i just need a grill to make it happen! minor detail, me thinks :)