random on a thursday.

by Janetha on September 6, 2012

in humor,random rambles

hi there. or is it hi, there? sometimes i am just not sure.

i have many, many different posts pending at the moment. some are almost completely typed, others just have the photographs ready and waiting to be made into a post, and then there are those which are only laid out in my brain. but today, i am mentally exhausted, and have decided to just be random. on a thursday. because i like repeating things i have done in the past.

1. i made kerryne’s banana peach muffins the other day! mine turned out nothing like hers. i don’t know why. mine were good, but hers were GREAT. i think my bananas were too wet.. or my baking powder was bad.. or something.. what do i know? BUT.. i wanted to let you guys know she posted the recipe. clicky click.

2. speaking of failing in the kitchen, i tried my hand at risotto last night. my first time ever. i have had the ingredients to make kristin’s roasted corn risotto for nearly two weeks now. yesterday, i was going to make it happen. i followed her recipe to a T—but i think i used the wrong kind of pan. mine was a deep, 12-inch pan, but i think i should have used a pot. in fact i know i should have, after consulting google numerous times during the TWO HOURS i was trying to make it cook. and then it never did. womp, womp. we had ice cream for dinner instead. you think i’m joking or just being “cute”.. no, i am not. i ate a few cups of the good stuff for dinner. and, yes, it was real good. who cares if a serving size is only half a cup? that’s just a suggestion. and maybe i should fail at dinner more often?

photo (3)

3. i had no idea that two single movements could be so challenging. yesterday’s workout, specter, was very hard for me—both physically and mentally. the workout was 20 power squat cleans+1 burpee, then 19 power squat cleans+2 burpees, and so on until you reach 1 power squat clean+1 burpee. i did this workout back in april with a lighter weight (25# bar) and thought it was pretty challenging, but do-able. not hard by any means. yesterday i did it at the Rx weight (45#) and had a HELL OF A TIME finishing. it took every ounce in my being to do that damn workout. but i finished.. super stoked. took me 5 minutes longer than the first time around, but that was also 20 pounds lighter. i will take it as an accomplishment.

4. while i am talking about workouts, here’s another nugget of random. i did my first double under on tuesday! in fact, i did three of them. no, not in a row.. but the point is i figured out the movement! my next step? figuring out to do more than one in a row.. ha. OH, and for those who are wondering, a double under is when the jump rope passes under your feet twice in one jump. sounds easy, but it’s not. try it. you will whip yourself with the jump rope and feel like a fool. or maybe that’s just me…

5. okay, okay.. one more fitness tidbit. this morning i was doing twist punches with a band. whelp, i am one fierce female, because i snapped the band. luckily it was enclosed in fabric, so the rubber didn’t get me.. but it did scare the bejeezies outta me! my workout buddy, david, turned me into a verb and suggested that when you break a piece of gym equipment, you can say you “janetha-ed” it. ha.

photo

6.  i forgot to pick a winner for the case of 16 oz chobanis! i will pick now. #76, helen. you win! send me your deets.

7. i am going to the utah state fair tonight! i go every year, without fail. well, except for that year i lived in london. i absolutely looooove the fair. the commercial buildings, the fatty food, the bright lights, the animals, and.. best of all.. the big yellow slide. i will never be too old for that thing.

8. this made me laugh.

photo

9. so did this.. because that’s totally me. to a T.

photo

10. did you know popchips came out with tortilla chips?! i didn’t, until i saw them at the store the other day and snatched them up immediately. i can’t wait to try the other kinds—ranch and nacho cheese. i am thinking they are trying to be a healthier version of doritos, yeah? i’ll take it.

photo

11. i have recently fallen in love with this salsa. IT IS SO GOOD! it’s the generic brand from whole foods, and, booooyyyy is it tasty. buy it, if you can.

photo

12. okay, one more food product i have found and love. well, two.. YUM and YUM.

photo (3)

13. i just bought this tank off etsy. i dig it. and, yeah, i am super sore today. stronger tomorrow, right?

photo (3)

14. want to read something that will make you think twice about appearances? mainly your own? you should really read this. REALLY. it’s good stuff. and it’s short and sweet, so take the time to check out meg’s words.

15. as i was going through my photos to send myself some of the pictures for the random bits above, i came across this gem that i totally forgot about. it happened when i was putting a tray of the banana peach muffins into my oven and something totally horrible happened and they ended up splattered on the oven door. don’t ask how exactly it happened… i am not quite sure. but clearly i am a mess. shit. ice cream for dinner, it is!

photo

1. what was your last kitchen fail?

2. any delicious new food finds to share with the class?

3. if neither of those questions appeal to you.. then, please, tell me something random. anything goes.

Allie@LiveLaughEat September 6, 2012 at 5:52 pm

That muffin party foul is the story of my life.

Laura September 6, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Great night to go to the fair! Are you going to the Taste of Utah while you are there?

Corrie Anne September 6, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Ooo.. I’m baking 7 kinds of cookies for a party between today and tomorrow.. so I’m hoping for no disasters. Also.. trying to guard them from my dogs!! Pippa is tall!! Congrats on the DU! I’m working on it!!!!!! The other day my friend called it a “Corrie” when a kid ate the frosting and threw away the cupcake. I’m not ashamed.

Alex @ therunwithin September 6, 2012 at 6:31 pm

i have been dying to try those pop chips but can’t find them anywhere. so jealous.

kim@hungryhealthygirl September 6, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Sorry about all the fails, but love ice cream for dinner!! Might be worth the fails!

julie September 6, 2012 at 6:54 pm

haha! i hope you have fun at the state fair tonight :) :) i always think of like big butter sculptures & cheese contests when it comes to those things – we have a renaissance fair around us and like everyone who goes dresses up like medieval times people – its weird – ive never been but always stalk pictures

Janetha September 6, 2012 at 8:31 pm

The butter sculpture was hunger games themed this year! Haha

Sana September 6, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I hate using the oven, something always goes wrong!

Carly September 6, 2012 at 7:07 pm

You are super bad ass breaking a band. Those things are tough!

I saw that ecard on pinterest today and figured that is my life as well. And I didn’t even work an 8 hour day today. Ai yi yi.

We just got a new stove and it has two oven compartments. The other day I was cooking dinner and couldn’t figure out why it was taking sooooo long. After about an hour and a half I realized that the top oven was on, not the bottom. I’m embarrassed to even be sharing this story.

Have fun at the fair!

Janetha September 6, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Haja I legit laughed out loud. Because I’ve done that more than once!

Danielle @ A Sense of Balance September 6, 2012 at 7:12 pm

My brain is about ready for bed, but I wanted to say have fun at the fair, too! I have a county fair I’ve gone to for as long as I can remember too, and I love it still. Ours was just this past weekend and I’m sad its over already.

CheezyK September 6, 2012 at 7:14 pm

8 – totally me right now, except that it’s only 11am here!
13 – love the shape of that tank
15 – so glad I’m not the only one with a crusty pizza stone in my oven :D

Becky @ TheBexFactor.com September 6, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Good for you on the fitness front! That’s really awesome you powered through the workout with heavier weight.

Also good job on the double under! I found once I got the movement down, I would string together one regular skip, then double under, regular skip, double under. I still haven’t been able to string together multiple double unders in a row but I’m working on it. I think having a speed rope as opposed to regular skipping rope would help.

Denise September 6, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I want that shirt – Sore today stronger tomorrow. Where did you get that?

Janetha September 6, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Click the link! Etsy :)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance September 6, 2012 at 8:00 pm

I love that tank top! Awesome. :)

emily September 6, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Coconut macaroon ice-cream and toasted coconut dark chocolate?! I die! Sorry your muffins didn’t turn out like you were expecting.

Neil September 6, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Dude! You “Janetha-ed” the hell out of those muffins! I “Janetha-ed” my diet with ice cream for lunch today. Mostly because my legs are “Janetha-ed” from Specter yesterday. Also, way to make that DU your “Janetha.”

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 6, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Oh man, those e-cards are awesome. Totally showing them off to Nate!

And yeah, 1/2 a cup of ice cream is NOT enough. They may as well say a serving size is the whole damn pint.

Stephanie @ Wellness Reclamation September 6, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I can’t kitchen fail right now since I don’t currently have a functional kitchen. Ice cream for dinner sounds like a great idea. Too bad that coconut macaroon ice cream will make me feel like crap, but it sure looks good.

Yaara Leve September 6, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Ice cream for dinner sounds fab! And that thick and chunky Whole Foods salsa–OMG–I’m also addicted. I seriously have been eating whole container-fulls at a meal. I just keep scooping the spoon right in the jar. I use it as a dressing for my salads.

Sierra September 6, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I must find that coconut ice cream. I looked today, but no luck.

Kitchen fail wasn’t anything major, but I made a pesto salad dressing and put it in a squeeze bottle, but apparently I didn’t blend it well enough because there was chunks that kept clogging the tip of the bottle. Finally, there was a blow out when my guest squeezed too hard.

I finally found the sweet potato pop chips and they are delicious!

Kayla September 7, 2012 at 3:18 am

i’ve definitely had ice cream for dinner before! actually, in the summer, it happens quite frequently. those nights when you don’t want anything heavy and you can’t really stomach veggies (and you’re already a grain-free girl!), it happens…and i don’t hate it either. :)

lindsay September 7, 2012 at 4:53 am

ice cream for dinner, sounds perfect. and the double unders, ya, those are hard.. youre a bad ass, except you need a JG size jump rope.

Random thursday for the win. You know it’s always good fun!

p.s.
that kitchen failure? no prob. That’s what dogs are for. never wasted

Sara September 7, 2012 at 5:35 am

Ice Cream for dinner is the best. My last food fail was when I made this chipotle shrimp dish and put way too many peppers in the dish. It was so spicy I was crying like a baby. Couldn’t really eat the dish at all. My roommate laughed her face off at me. So sad.

Lauren September 7, 2012 at 6:04 am

Oh girl, I have had more baking fails than anyone! Trust me on this. :) I can relate. :)

Hope you have a FANTASTIC weekend <3

mary @ what's cookin with mary September 7, 2012 at 10:09 am

Totally saved the “play with the dog” socially awkward penguin. That is totally me. I can’t help it, I just love fury friends. I’d be the weirdo rolling around on the ground with the dog. Esp if it’s a lab. I cannot resist.

Last kitchen fail: I tried to “healthify” my whole wheat banana nut bread and it turn out edible, but rubbery :0( …so, I ended up putting some butter on it… defeat purpose much ? ha!

Annette@FitnessPerks September 7, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Oh wow-that is quite the kitchen fail. But one time I baked a bundt cake with jello in it (not sure why, actually), and it exploded all over the oven. Yah. Fun stuff. Oh and it was BLUE.

I want that chocolate & your tank top. And I am so going to do that workout–it actually sounds fun! Burpees are the bomb. ;)

Lisa September 7, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Congrats on upping the weights! That’s quite a success.
Oh, that is sad times when those things happen. I just had a recipe fail like 2 days ago with bars that didn’t exactly cook well together. Trying to improve that because they are just a mess.
Ice cream for dinner doesn’t sound half bad right about now.

Nicole C September 7, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Last kitchen fail, fried chicken. I can never cook it completely and then ben gets all whiny. I give up on it.

Random fact, if I could own a super slide i would. it’s still my favorite ride at the fair and luckily I am short enough to blend in with the kids.

I need some workout shirts too since..bootcamp starts monday!!! WOO!

Simone September 7, 2012 at 6:02 pm

my latest kitchen fail was a giant uncooked fillet of salmon and a starving table of guests… I had a bunch of girlfriends for a BBQ before the weather gets ugly, I live in Vancouver, BC and it rains A LOT!, anyways I guess I forgot to check the propane before I started cooking, just assuming I had enough, well I put the salmon on, closed the lid and walked away for about 15 minutes, when I cracked the lid I thought i’d over cooked it a bit only to discover the propane had run out at some point, most likely as soon as I put the salmon on, and the salmon was still raw, good times! anyways I buttered my guests up with a little dessert first, cranked the oven and all was good in the end :)

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva September 7, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Last kitchen fail was totally nothing but I think it just happened on the wrong day and wrong time: early monday morning. I was trying to make this herby orange salad dressing and when i was almost done I just knocked it right over. Ended up crying over it….no idea why because really…it’s just food. Needless to say my salad went sans dressing that day; but it still tasted perfectly fine!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner September 7, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Dark Chocolate is the BEST! Just had me some of that this morning. ;)