random on a thursday. yes, again.

by Janetha on January 26, 2012

in BLEND,product review,random rambles

what is it about thursdays that make me want to type completely random posts?? exhibit A and exhibit B.. this post being exhibit C. i think my mind just piles up with junk and i have to purge through a blog post.

i got a pedicure last night. yeah, that was one of my “errands”… priorities, people.

NewImage

my feet were in ROUGH shape. i live in utah. it’s winter. you do the math. everyone loves a pedicure, including myself, but i am just real bad at getting them. i am so ticklish! every time the poor pedicurist tries to scrub my food with that pumice stone, i go batshit crazy. my level of ticklishness is through the roof and borderline embarrassing. i am the same with massages.. but not quite as bad. my feet are definitely the most ticklish part of my body.

why are some people ticklish to the point of crying (i really know the meaning of “tickle torture” from being tormented as a kid) and others aren’t at all? i am sure this is one i could ask google, but it is rambling thursday, so there you go.

back to the nail salon. want to know one thing i never do? paint my nails. like.. ever. i am SO not a girly girl. my nails are always naked. i always see girls posting about nail polish colors and bonding over the latest OPI or essie hue. that is just a bond i don’t share with my fellow females. however, i did get my very first manicure last night. well—scratch that—i have had a manicure to get fake nails before (NEVER AGAIN) but i had never just had a manicure where they do all that fancy stuff to your fingernails and then paint them. it was only ten bucks, so i figured i would give it a chance. i went with a very non-noticable shade of, uh, clearish sparkle something or other?

IMG 9746

sorry for the creepy hand shot. i did the best i could to make it not awkward to look at, but clearly i failed. i will admit, i like the polish. but i probably won’t be painting the town pink any time soon.

moving on.

i can’t FREAKING stop eating cereal lately. granted, it is my favorite food, but my cereal consumption has been greater than normal lately. one bowl of cereal is fine. five bowls is not.  i finally ran out of kashi go lean last night.. and then i ran out of almond milk this morning. i figured my lack of supplies was the best thing for my current cereal situation… until i came home to a package today.

IMG 9728

sigh. i had forgotten that cascadian farms was sending me their new formula of O’s. not that i am complaining.. free cereal?! sweet! free cereal a few days before mexico? hmm. could be problematic since i have no self control. you would think i would hold off on eating it since i told you i was out of milk. haha. no. chobani took care of that one.. the only thing that’s better than their new apple cinnamon flavor is eating cereal with their new apple cinnamon flavor.

IMG 9726

this, my friends, is a very good combo. and for the record, i would, have, and will continue to buy both of these products with my hard earned money.. even though these particular items were sent to me for free. the things i do for taste testing. it’s a tough job, but it had to be done.. and i was the girl to do it.

let’s stop talking about cereal, or i might be tempted to go eat more.

shifting subjects…

random (sincere) compliments are the best.

i was at the gym yesterday, doing the giant sets that i told you guys about, and these two older dudes wanted to share my workout area with me. i scooched over so they could fit, and we were chatting with a bit. i joked with them and told them to get back to work and there was no time to talk! they are there every single flipping night, but we had never actually talked to each other. you know how that goes.. the regulars who make eye contact but never engage in conversation.

anyway, before i put my ear buds back in so i could get back to my workout, the super muscley macho guy said he wanted to tell me one last thing. he said that he watches people every night at the gym (not in a creeper way) and that i have incredible form. he said that a lot of people have the worst form and are doing themselves a disservice with the way they lift, but that i was doing it all right. he also said he thought someone had trained me how to lift, but when i told him i taught myself.. he gave me even more props.

THAT is a compliment that made me feel good. really good. nobody has ever paid me that type of compliment and i am sure i will remember it for the rest of my life.

it makes me want to walk up to a stranger and tell them what i love about them. and really mean it.

before i go, one last thing i forgot to mention yesterday..i am excited about BLEND.

yesterday i went to lunch with my friends from xagave. they are one of the breakfast sponsors for BLEND retreat. fortunately, they are also a utah local company, so we got to hang out. we chatted about the conference and it got me real excited!

word on the street is some people are nervous about pulling the trigger on attending because they don’t have anyone to room with. let me put it bluntly and say: DON’T be nervous. it’s like summer camp. not that i ever went to summer camp.. but i saw the parent trap a few times and have a good idea of what it’s like. we will be sure to put you in a cabin with friendly folks.  registration is open, click here to sign up. can’t wait to play in may!

and, because i love his dragon paws, here is a random photo of randy:

NewImage

what a guy.

okay.. that’s enough randomness for tonight. i still have to go to the gym, figure out a fridge-clearing dinner, and make a packing list.

gosh, i hate packing. i always procrastinate when i am trying to pack.. i usually distract myself with something else.

like bowls of cereal.

1. are you ticklish?

2. what is the best compliment anyone has ever paid you?

Heather Montgomery January 26, 2012 at 6:04 pm

My husband loves that cereal, and I love that chobani. HA!
I am tickilish, but sometimes more than others. it’s weird. I have this one spot on my back where I will go into a spasm if anyone touches it. Just thinking about it makes me cringe. What’s wrong with me?

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 26, 2012 at 6:08 pm

YES!!! EVERYONE go to Blend. Everyone. Even if you’re just a reader and you don’t think you should go …. you should go.

I want a pedi. Can we do mani-pedis in BoCo? Okay good deal.

Jennie (the gf-gf) January 26, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I used to be so super ticklish – seriously, I could barely stand to let someone touch me! I started massage school back in September, and I am totally desensitized to it now. So I’m thinking … If you just treat yourself to regular pedicures, maybe you’ll get used to it!

Worth a shot anyways :-)

Good luck with your packing!

Holly January 26, 2012 at 6:20 pm

hey janetha!
this is going to be super random, especially since this may only be my first or second time every commenting. but i just had to share. i get this website’s catalog in the mail and today when i saw this, i immediately thought of you. :)

anyway, just thought i’d pass that along. LOVE your blog and read every day!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy January 26, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I’m super ticklish and also don’t like when they scrub really hard and try to take off my calluses. Hello, I have calluses because I run and I need them!

Also, I was nervous for Healthy Living Summit, but ended up loving the opportunity to share a room with people I’d never met before (and hadn’t even been reading their blogs). It was a really fun experience and surprisingly not too awkward. I’d love to go to the BLEND retreat, but my spring/summer is already getting pretty full with weddings and their associated events and all the $pending that goes along with said events.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List January 26, 2012 at 6:41 pm

word on the street is that you snore. that’s why i’m not rooming with you.
(actually, i’m kinda sad about that.)

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig January 26, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I’m soooo ticklish! If anything touches my feet I jump. Before my wedding, my mother booked us both into the day spa. I nearly died during the pedicure – seriously. I was laughing hysterically and had tears running down my face. At first the girl scrubbing my feet thought it was funny but then you could tell she was like WTF!? I had to eventually tell her to stop scrubbing because I couldn’t handle it. I can touch my own feet fine, but anyone else – no way. I’m also really ticklish on my lower stomach and on the back of my knees. Figure that one out…

I’ve had painted nails once in the last two years. My MIL took me to a really fancy nail spa and I asked them to paint my nails in a colour that would look the less obvious chipping off. She thought I was kidding but I was deadly serious. Haha. So I got a very light pink :)

Jillian @ Sprinkle Massacre January 26, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I can’t wait for blend retreat!

I secretly love fridge-clearing dinners. So easy and somehow always delicious.

Recently, a friend from my hometown complimented me on my blog and how she can see my passion for fitness and health. I loved hearing that because sometimes I feel like people who don’t get it just think I’m a gym rat who eats a bunch of weird foods.

Missy January 26, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I am ticklish to the point I may hurt you!
The best compliment? I have had some good ones but my most recent and proud one was given to me today by Jenn (Girlhroes) who told me that I was just like Deb!! Best compliment ever!!!!!!!

Missy January 26, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Oh and Blendretreat looks awesome – it’s too far for me. There needs to be one in New Orleans!! ;) But I’d still feel funny about going being a nonblogger; but it sure looks fun!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 26, 2012 at 9:48 pm

OMG that’s so sweet!

Lauren January 26, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I am beyond ticklish too on my feet. I once kicked the poor girl in the face when she went to scrub my feet with that damn stone. LoL I dread that part of the pedi.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 26, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I got sent both that cereal, and that Chob. And we’ve been doing the same thing. Great minds think alike :)

I loooooove pedicures and foot massages and massages in general and I’m not ticklish. Massages are like the best thing ever. Even my not-quite 5 year old begs me for back massages and foot massages and head rubs. She’s a massage junkie already!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 26, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Ha! I love the summer camp reference – I only went to summer camp once. I don’t think I was cut out for it.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List January 27, 2012 at 3:58 pm

ok..so have you talked hubby into clipping more coupons so you can come?!?!!?

Kerryne Brown January 26, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I am one of those no ticklish people! It drives my husband crazy!!!

You know I relate on the cereal problem! I feel out if control!

I also never ever paint my nails! Don’t see the point it just chips off in a day or two!

Best compliment? Probably having someone say that I inspired them to lift weights! So many women are afraid of them! That was a great compliment!

Jessiker January 26, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Feet are super ticklish, like if they have an itch i have to rub it on something painful to take away from the tickle.

biggest compliment, my husband says I look so beautiful without makeup <3 That means a lot because I don't like makeup that much.

Also people tell me I have an old soul sometimes. That makes me feel really good about myself.

xoxo

Brittney January 26, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I love random posts!
I am SO ticklish too. I agree with you, it is torture. I once got a pedicure by a lady who didn’t speak english and I came pretty close to kicking her in the face a couple of times. I hope she understood the words ‘sorry’ and ‘ticklish’!

Michelle (Better with Berries) January 26, 2012 at 7:38 pm

EXTREMELY ticklish!

I’ll always remember a compliment from a teammate in high school when I was on the tennis team. We were running laps around the courts, and afterward she told me that she always ran right behind me and her motivation to run was looking at my calves and thinking that if she kept running, her calves would look like mine. Weird, but it made me happy! I DO have very shapely legs that I work hard for :-)

Meg January 26, 2012 at 7:39 pm

omg I would love that flavour of chobani. back when I ate all the fat free yogurts like source, silhouette, etc. I would always get the apple cinnamon flavour from source. i can’t even imagine how amazing it would be CHOBANI SYLE!!!!!!!!!!!

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 26, 2012 at 7:46 pm

That IS a great compliment–go YOU!!!

A lady at the gym where I teach always scowled at me and I thought she hated me…..until she came up to me and told me she loves my blog, thinks my workouts are awesome, and is impressed. I was BLOWN away–i thought this chick hated me! She found me on FB and saw my stuff about the blog and all….now we’re good friends. HAh.

Have FUN packing…ugh I hate that. Good luck!

Emily January 26, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I’ve never had a pedicure or a massage–I’m so ticklish! I’m terrified I will kick the pedicurist in the face if she touches me!
My fiance bought me a set of massage oils for Christmas…tried ’em out once and they’ve rested in the bathroom drawer ever since. I just can’t take it!

Megan S. January 26, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I just had to comment on the cereal– I have been feeling the same way lately! I have a box of Dulce de Leche Cheerios and the new Peanut Butter Cheerios…so delish but there needs to be a lock on those boxes so I can’t get into them after one handful!

Christin@purplebirdblog January 26, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Holy SHIT I love dog noses. Boop to the Randy-nose. *boop*

A compliment that stands out in my head – when I had pink hair, a guy probably in his mid to late 70s came up to me and said, “I never thought I’d tell a girl with pink hair that she’s beautiful, but you’re beautiful.” Gave me super warm fuzzies. And also when I was doing some serious heavy weight training back a few years, I was leg pressing over 1100 lbs (2 reps, but still) and I got mad props from some pretty ripped dudes at the gym which made me feel awesome. :)

jen (your philly ice cream guide) January 26, 2012 at 8:54 pm

what a wonderful gym comment! my trainer once told me when i was doing pull ups, he wished i could see my back and told the other dudes in the gym to look at it. :D

when i was in grad school and still terrified that i was too shy to be a teacher, the awesome mentor told me that she couldn’t tell, that i walk and carry myself with presence and authority, like a business person (which i was, albeit a half-assed, hating it one!). i remember that when the kids are being asses and not listening. i’m the adult, dammit, no matter how tiny and shy and scared i am to take charge!

momma b. January 26, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I am rolling with laughter at your summer camp = the parent trap movie bahahah!!!

Yes I am TICKLISH everywhere and I HATE to be tickled ever – pedicures are the worst and very awkward for me – but I must endure!!

Your nails look great!

What a wonderful compliment you got from that guy – well deserved!

What comes to mind are the compliments I have received from the awesome folks who read your blog and are so kind to me!!

Now start packing :)

xoxo

Bonnie January 26, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I love your random posts! Really! They’re just always fun to read. :) I sure WISH I could go to BLEND…kinda can’t believe I can’t make it! But I know you guys will have a blast and I can vouch for going and not knowing anyone and having an incredible time – you were one of the best things that came from me stepping out and going the HLS!

Ticklish? Um, a little bit. I think I can kind of control it a bit, but there’s times when I seriously can’t when I’m pinned to the ground and my response? FLAIL. KICK. SCREAM. I don’t laugh, I just kind of go nuts. Mikey thinks it’s hilarious, but I’m barely breathing and trying to go hulk on him with my strength to win the battle. ;)

Best compliment? I’d have to think about it…but ones from the gym from men in particular do stick with you. Awesome to get complimented on your form!

Lastly, I’m in the mood for you, Janetha! …don’t always comment, but I always read. :) Love you, friend!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) January 26, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Moobs. They are moobs. Just deal with it.

I got that exact same compliment a few yrs ago from a stranger- fancy that!

Mama Pea January 26, 2012 at 9:44 pm

1. I am SUPER ticklish. Seriously, don’t even look at me like you are going to tickle me or I will drop you like a sack of grapefruit.

2. Just last week I had a cashier at a store said to me (when I wasn’t wearing my cross) “You’re a Christian, aren’t you?” I said yes, and he said, “I could just tell.” LOVE that.

Love YOU!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List January 27, 2012 at 4:01 pm

that is a great compliment, Sarah!

RunEatRepeat January 26, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Biggest compliment?
Someone told me I wasn’t as big a bitch as they thought.

Alysa (InspiredRD) January 26, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I am SO ticklish when it comes to pedicures. They always laugh at me! And I am the same as you with fingernails. Hardly ever paint them, and hardly ever look at them (not a good thing sometimes).

megan @ muncher cruncher January 26, 2012 at 10:37 pm

So, I’m not the only cereal fiend these days…good. Why is it so delicious?!?? I’m with you on the Kashi…it is my go to.

Lindsay Loves Veggies January 26, 2012 at 10:48 pm

I’ve never been much of one for finger nail polish either. I used to paint them black every once in a while, and that’s just because it’s the only color that I think looks decent chipped. I can’t keep nail polish nice to save my life. Now I have a job where I can’t wear nail polish at all, so it’s whatever.

Ali @ whatalididnext January 26, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I am unbelievably ticklish – so much it actually kind of hurts!
Best compliment ever? The other day I was bemoaning nearly having a 0 birthday, and someone thought I was turning 30 rather than 40. I love that lady!

Paige @ Running Around Normal January 27, 2012 at 6:12 am

Wait….I LOVE Clearish Sparkly Something or Other!!! By OPI, right?? ;)

And yes – that is one awesome compliment. So sweet of him to tell you this and so awesome of you to be such a good lifter! :)

Sami January 27, 2012 at 6:14 am

gosh dang it, i wish colorado were a bit closer. i would be there ina heartbeat.

yay for mani/pedi’s! don’t they just perk you right up?

have i mentioned that i love momma b’s comments on posts? i specifically look for them sometimes. she’s so sweet for religiously following your writing and being so supportive…not to mention, fun! you’re lucky to have such a great relationship with her:)

xo.

Sami January 27, 2012 at 6:15 am

ps, thanks SO much for the contigo goodies from dedicated december! i love them SO much.. for the past two days, i’ve been sporting the coffee mug like it’s my job! the water bottle will be perfect for away basketball games when we’re traveling!

xo. you rock.

Maren January 27, 2012 at 6:49 am

Love the random posts! Hope you got some packing done! I am pretty dang ticklish too. It’s annoying.

Actually, once during my sophomore year of college I was doing some ab work on the ball and I had an older guy (who I also saw everyday) tell me that I had awesome form on the ball! And he always worries because he sees so many people with terrible form…And you know what? I also will never forget that. It felt so good to be complimented in a non-creeper way!

Amy January 27, 2012 at 10:00 am

i am insanely ticklish! i’ll be laying on the sofa with my feet in my BF’s lap and he’ll barely touch my feet and i’ll freak out. then he holds my ankle and torments me until i’m screaming so loud i’m probably waking the neighbors down the street.

Calee January 27, 2012 at 10:42 am

If I would have read this yesterday I wouldn’t have had so many stupid questions for Lindsay. I was ready to sign up this AM when I got the OK from work and then the BF decided he wanted to tag along. Mind you … he wouldn’t want to participate.

Then I figured out we’ll have cabin mates (YES!) and that the cabins don’t have AC. So needless to say, he’s so not tagging along.

Sheelbeel January 27, 2012 at 11:18 am

Mmmm I love cereal so much I can’t keep it in the house half the time because it’s gone within a few days. So good! And that nail polish is lovely!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed January 27, 2012 at 12:18 pm

tickling is fingertip rape.

The best compliment I ever got was someone telling me that I make them want to work harder. I like that!

Cassy January 27, 2012 at 2:17 pm

i love that saying bat shit crazy.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 27, 2012 at 3:27 pm

My nasty feet need a good scraping every now and then, hence why I get pedicures. I don’t really care about the polish, but it’s an added bonus. And I do not like my nails painted, unless they’re just clear! I used to have tips when I was in college and had to go every two weeks to get them filled- ugh- never again!

That was such a nice, sincere compliment and I’m sure it meant a lot to you! I’ve complimented a few people I don’t know but see all the time at the gym on weight loss before, and you can tell it makes their day. It would make mine! I think the best compliments I’ve gotten at the gym are from people who have told me that I’m their “favorite instructor” or that my class makes them feel strong. There’s no amount of money that can match that. It makes me feel so great.

And YAY FOR BLEND! I can not wait either- it’s going to be awesome! Don’t be afraid to sign up people- I don’t know anyone (in real life) that’s going, and I think that’s one of the most exciting things about it!

Melissa @TryingtoHeal January 27, 2012 at 5:08 pm

There’s a new version of that cereal? Well, I love the old one so I’m sure I’ll love this new one! Yay for Cascadian Farm! I love their cereals!

And I don’t paint my nails either. I’ve never had a pedicure or manicure. Some girl I am!

meg January 27, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Hah! I love your random posts the best. What a great compliment to be given at the gym! I definitely don’t claim to know a thing about form (I work out with friends who do… thank goodness) so when I see someone doing something questionable, you know it’s REALLY bad! I always wonder… do the gym employees not have an obligation to speak up? If it were me, I’d definitely want to know.

Life's a Bowl January 28, 2012 at 4:45 am

I have been eating cereal by the handful lately- winter months, cereal… Not the first food I think of haha :P

Tiffany @ Snack Snark Bark January 28, 2012 at 8:58 am

I can’t wait for the Blend retreat–hooray! I also can’t wait to jump into my apple cinnamon Chobani flavor. They were on sale for $1 last wk so I stocked up and I’m saving the best for last :)

I love compiments and have tons of favorites (often I get told I’m modest as well) but I got a simple, nice one yesterday. I had to call a shareholder and left a message with the wife, when I told her my name she kept saying “Stephanie?” and I would say Tiffany. After three rounds of this I was finally “No, Tiffany, you know like the jewelry or breakfast” and she told me I was funny. Thats one of the best compliments I can get.

Jessie B January 28, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I just noticed that the bright blue bathing suit you are wearing in a photo from 2010 is the same one that I just bought! Please tell me it’s a good one…as much as I want to buy jcrew suits, I just can’t spend that much on one!

Janetha January 28, 2012 at 1:28 pm

From VS? Yeah, I like it.. but the bottoms don’t fit anymore so I had to buy some yellow ones from Target!

Kait January 30, 2012 at 2:52 pm

OMG I love everything about this post.

Kind of ticklish but working on it. I’m able to control it fairly well at this point. Mind over matter baby.

I ate half a box of Nature’s Path granola last week. Not even in a bowl, just straight from box-to-mouth. I blame it on the tension headache I was rocking and my lack of concern about anything but not being simultaneously in tremendous pain AND hungry.

I love when random toll collectors compliment my smile. I know random and slightly cheesy but I like to think that the fact that they notice is because I took the time to smile and say “Have a good [insert time of day]” and they will remember that when the weather gets crappy and it will help their day go by a little bit faster.

Actually, scratch that. I LOVE when the Hispanic girls at Zumba tell me I move like them and that I have to be part Latino. White girl’s got it going on.

Ayeeyee