more random on a thursday.

by Janetha on February 23, 2012

in meals,moves

hello and welcome to thursday. or.. chances are.. it is already friday by the time you read this.

fabulous.

whelp, i am still sick. worse today than yesterday, in fact. but isn’t there some bit about it having to get worse before it gets better? so i am crossing my fingers that tomorrow brings better health.. at least slightly better, that is. i am not asking for miracles, i just want to breathe. and taste.

i did make quite a flavorful, sinus-clearing dinner tonight.. recipe courtesy of jessica over at how sweet it is.

IMG 2035

the girl knows her soup. and her chicken. well, and her cookies.. but that is neither here nor there. anyway, i made her buffalo chicken soup tonight.

IMG 2030

the one and only tweak i made to her recipe was i used a sourdough baguette topped with melted romano cheese instead of using multigrain.

IMG 2023

marshall has a new love affair with sourdough bread. we have gone through three loaves justlikethat and now this baguette is also gone.  time to buy more.. or try my hand at making it. any good sourdough starter recipes you’d like to recommend? anyone?

anyway, back to the soup. it was delicious. i could actually taste it! spicy food for the win. if you are after a tasty, spicy, fast, easy recipe.. try this one.

in other news.. i made it to the gym today for the second time in the past week. i am trying not to force anything, but after sitting at my desk for 8 hours straight, i get antsy and really just want to MOVE. so, despite my sinus pressure and stuffy nose, i headed to golds for a back/bis workout:

• wide grip pull down: 3 x 12 @ 80#
  • single arm dumbbell row: 3 x 12 @ 20#
  • seated cable row: 3 x 12 @ 70#
  • underhand cable pull down: 3 x 12 @ 70#
  • alternating dumbbell biceps curl: 3 x 12 @ 20# each
  • single arm preacher curl: 3 x 12 @ 12#
  • straight bar cable biceps curl: 3 x 12 @ 40#

if this looks familiar, i am not surprised. it is day 2 of the livefit trainer program. i have no real direction as to what to do at the gym right now.. so i am just doing some of the livefit workouts over again. they are solid, hit every muscle group, and require no thinking. what’s not to love? plus, the phase 1 workouts take it easy and don’t take long to complete, so that fits perfectly into my “i-am-sick-and-don’t-want-to-over-do-it” attitude.

i did polish off my workout with a slow, easy 20 minutes on the elliptical. i eventually had to stop because i felt like my head was going to explode from the building sinus pressure, and i am sure the gym employees wouldn’t like to clean such a mess up.. so i left. and made the soup. that i already raved about.

it was really good, though. did i mention that? oh, and my mom made it tonight, too. she and my dad had it and loved it just as much as marshall and i did. she even instagrammed it. oh, yeah, did i mention that momma b is on instagram? yep. she’s so hip.

the sunset was stunning tonight.

IMG 2014

the little things, folks.

a few more random thursday items for your reading pleasure:

• today is national banana bread day.. celebrate with a loaf of THE BEST BANANA BREAD IN THE WORLD. hands down.
  • today is also national dog biscuit appreciation day. the whole “appreciation” part was kinda weird to me, but whatever. i didn’t eat any dog biscuits, but i gave my kids a few. they appreciated them, i am sure of it.
  • i have an almond protein cookie recipe i am trying to tweak a bit to get the consistency perfect.. and then i am gonna share it with you.
  • i am going to do this cleanse thingamajig next week in an attempt to clear all the poop out of me. i am still at a loss as to what’s making my guts be so lame. work in progress.. trial and error. anyway, i will tell y’all more about the cleanse another day.
  • speaking of my guts, i still owe you guys a post about the colon hydrotherapy. hmm.. there isn’t much to say, but a lot have asked. i will try to type a blurb up this weekend.
  • my dogs went to daycare again and loved it! randy was humping all the other dogs.. sometimes he tried to hump their faces. he is a dirty dog, but i love him.
  • it’s almost march! weird.

that’s enough out of me. i need to take my contacts out (i haven’t taken them out of my eyeballs since january 3rd, i know.. i am horrible. i bought the ones you could wear safely for 30 days and apparently i have gone 20 days over that limit) and call it a night.

hope your friday is all you hoped for and maybe more!

shelby February 23, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I’ve never made *true* sourdough, but I’ve made some great faux-sourdough loaves using the techniques from the book Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day (Hertzberg and Francois).

Hope you feel better soon!

Erin February 23, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I’m doing the Live Fit program thanks to you and I was actually wondering what you were doing now that it’s technically finished. Thanks for the update on that! Also, have you ever tried taking Apple Cider Vinegar for digestion? I think it helps…

Destini February 23, 2012 at 10:17 pm

jessica just understands food combinations so well. I spend a lot of my day going through her archives creating lists of thing’s I want to make. It has becoming pretty much every recipe on the site.

I hope you feel better, good for you still hitting up the gym, sweat those germs outta ur body. Hope you feel better real soon. Randy has such a funny personality. I love it :)

Ty February 23, 2012 at 11:13 pm

‘sometimes he tried to hump their faces.’ I don’t know why but that made me laugh so hard I snorted.

Also I am intrigued by the almond protein cookie promise. :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 23, 2012 at 11:24 pm

The soup looks great, sorry you’re still sick though.

Thanks for the reminder & relink to your fab banana bread!

meggi February 23, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Man, hope you get better soon! Being sick is the worst… other than Netflix. Netflix makes being sick bearable :)

Kristin @ STUFT Mama February 24, 2012 at 12:19 am

Oh man, hope you feel better soon. Impressive you made it to the gym while you’re sick. I’m going to have to try that buffalo chicken soup. Oh… Your mom IS hip. :) my mom still has the stupid blue face on FB. Ha! Thinking about you!

Erica February 24, 2012 at 2:26 am

That soup looks awesome! Ive had it on the to make list for so long!! Sourdough is one of my favorite breads. Have a good friday!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices February 24, 2012 at 4:28 am

Hope you feel better! I feel the same way with weights. I’ve been doing same thing with Jamie Eason. I have no direction so I have been repeating the workouts from first couple of weeks and last 2 weeks.

Michelle (Better with Berries) February 24, 2012 at 4:31 am

Hope you get to feeling better soon!

Dang – I wish I could keep my contacts in that long! Even with the ones that can be worn longer, my eyes start burning and getting all dry after about 12 hours. It’s okay though – it just means I have to be four-eyes every night :-)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 24, 2012 at 4:51 am

I missed national banana bread day!!? Horrors! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 24, 2012 at 5:17 am

I’m sorry you’re still full of poop. (that was a funny sentence) It is the woooorst feeling in the world when you can’t go to the bathroom. Okay, this comment is getting super weird, but I’m okay with it. I am one of those crazy people who want to hear all about your colon hydrotherapy.

PS – Feel better!

Kait February 24, 2012 at 10:47 am

This is why I read both of your blogs religiously…no one is squeamish about poop. :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 24, 2012 at 5:50 am

i’ve never made sourdough but i would love to hear if you find a good recipe! it’s one of those things that takes me back to trips to see family in san francisco and big bowls of clam chowder. YUM!

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 24, 2012 at 5:55 am

I’m sorry you are still sick! I hope you feel better soon! :) Soup is the best when you aren’t feeling well.

abbey February 24, 2012 at 5:56 am

I have had the same gut issues for 3.5 years now! I went through all the same procedures & am still trying to find the problem & im only 17 :(! Not to discourage you :/. I would just love any tips if you figure out whats bothering you. Hope you feel better. I also just wanted to say thank you for posting about it & your attitude seems inspiring & reminds me to stay positive & that I’m not the only one!

Jessica @ How Sweet February 24, 2012 at 5:57 am

I’m so glad you guys liked the soup! And um I might have died a little when I realized that not only was Momma B on instagram but that she tagged me. It was like someone famous!

Jessy (squeezetheday) February 24, 2012 at 5:58 am

So how was the trés leche cake? ”Better than sex”? :)

steph February 24, 2012 at 6:54 am

Super excited to find your blog. I have lived in Idaho my whole life but my husband was recently transferred to salt lake. I am really excited about the move bc I think it is beautiful there. However, I love beer and tank tops and caffeine (i am sure you are picturing white trash right now ; ) but I actually look very similar to you). Anyway I think you know where I am going with that. Does this affect your life at all? I am more worried about is for my little girl, I don’t want her to feel like an outcast.

Janetha February 29, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Hey Steph–NO, don’t worry. There are a lot of Mormons here, but there is also a lot of diversity. Well, unless you are in Utah county ;)

Joss February 24, 2012 at 8:10 am

mmm buffalo chicken soup – sounds so good! Have you checked out the how sweet it is blog today…oh man….you will wanna go see asap ;)

Maren February 24, 2012 at 8:25 am

hope you’re feeling better today! At least it’s Friday!!

Carly February 24, 2012 at 8:30 am

I hope you start feeling better soon! Loving the recipe for soup, anything buffalo flavored is always a favorite on mine. Also, I’m on week 3 on livefit and your reps are motivating me. 20# curls? I’ve got some work to do!

Nicole C February 24, 2012 at 8:39 am

I love your ‘I’m dying sick..but still worked out’ attitude. I’m like ‘I’m lazy and don’t want to go to the gym’. I have been going though, no weight loss but I feel stronger.

Oh and I really love the little things, the sunsets lately have been awesome :) Good scenery for me this weekend so I will have some photos to share.

Denise February 24, 2012 at 10:00 am

Well Momma Okie is on Instagram too. You should follow me:) I am dwinn.

denise February 24, 2012 at 2:43 pm

What is your mom’s username, I will follow her:)

Kait February 24, 2012 at 10:14 am

OMG your eyeballs…I know you can keep them in but I imagine they must be somewhat dry/irritated/red…no?!

My go-to when I’m sick is veg chili with a side of ghost pepper sauce from one of my fave Mexican restaurants. The sauce is so complex (instead of just being heat) but it clears things out like WHOA.

Yes, I did just write that. No, you don’t have to tell me (publicly) if you did it. And yes, it works like a charm…just have the tissues next to you as you snot away.

Have I ever mentioned how happy I am that we can write so openly? B/c I’m super grateful for that. And the fact that Randy humps dogs faces…b/c it made my legit LOL in my office.

FEEL BETTER!

PS What cleanse?

Janetha February 24, 2012 at 10:50 am

This may be the best comment ever. The cleanse is called Zrii.. more info to come!

Kait February 24, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I do what i can. :)

But seriously…vibe-to-face. Let me know how it goes (or if you need to order one). ;)

Janetha February 24, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Vibe to face?

Kait February 25, 2012 at 3:00 pm

“Speaking of clearing things out…if you have a vibrator, it works GREAT to clean out the sinuses. Obviously clean it first…then just hold it against your face (Ima suggest the low setting).”

Janetha February 29, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Haha oh yeah. Sorry, I am slow. And I didn’t try it ahaha

Kait February 29, 2012 at 6:03 pm

LAME. ;) tehehe

the delicate place February 24, 2012 at 10:20 am

cries. sourdough was the last food i ate when i found out i was a celiac :( it is my absolute fave but made me get the butterfly shaped rash on my torso. marshall will have to enjoy loaves of it for me!

what is the deal woman. stop being sick already?! i drink this elixir to help me feel better. juice up 3-4 med-large carrots, half a lemon, & an arse ton of ginger root like 1-2inch chunk + a sprinkle of cayenne. sip slowly and breathe again! x

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy February 24, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Ugh we are sickly soul sisters. I hope you feel better soon, and holy crap why haven’t I made this soup yet? Normally I make Jess’s recipes freakishly quickly. And I love that Randy is humpin around the doggy daycare. What a Romeo.

Cait's Plate February 24, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I hope you feel better soon! There’s nothing worse than feeling sick :(

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 24, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Ahhh hope you feel better!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail February 24, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Hope you continue to feel a lil better. I always appreciate having something tell me what to do at the gym, even though I train others, I like having the accountability!

Hugs to your pups!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva February 24, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Soup is a cold’s best remedy! You bet I celebrated banana bread day in style. A toasted a thick slice and topped it with crunchy peanut butter. It was the highlight of my day. Hope you feel better and get to enjoy your weekend :)

Maggie February 24, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I have been reading your blog for a few weeks, and I have to say it’s quickly become one of my favs!

I can’t say I’ve ever talked about poop in my first comment on a blog, but I am very interested in hearing about your issues/solutions you’ve tried because I have the same problems and my GI docs can’t seem to figure anything out!! I hate it.

Janetha February 29, 2012 at 12:54 pm

MAGGIE! Thanks for reading and saying you like the ol’ blog. XOXO

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) February 24, 2012 at 11:11 pm

I love having Momma B on IG- she makes the internet a better place.

Haha randy humping the other doggies faces- silly randall!

holly (yo soul sista from another much taller curly haired mista) February 28, 2012 at 11:12 am

i have jessica’s soup on my to-make list – gah, it looks so good!