more random on a thursday.

by Janetha on December 22, 2011

in meals,moves,questions answered,random rambles,recipes

GUYS! remember last week’s random thursday post? time for another.

it has been a day! randy ate (drank?) nine protein shakes. they were in the same spot they have always been.. in the garage.. but for some reason, he decided today he would get them.

it was for sure randy. not penny. he got put in the doghouse (crate) for awhile.. but now he is happily snoring on his dog bed. we can’t stay mad long..but we are for sure mad. the weirdest thing is that NOTHING has changed. same routine day in and day out for him.. but now he’s a jerk.

maybe he just has been bored with the colder weather and doesn’t go outside to play as much as he used to. or maybe he just wants to get huge muscles and needs protein shakes.

anyway.

remember how i promised i would finish this thing?

i am going to knock out days 15 and 16 today. mmkay?

your favorite tumblrs.

uh, i don’t really do the whole tumblr thang. to be honest, i don’t really get the whole tumblr thang.

i do have two tumblrs in my google reader, though.. so i guess those would be my favorites!

one is simply bee—the blogger formerly known as homegirl can eat!

and the other is melissa’s (from melissa nibbles) tumblr.

yep. that answer was easy!

and next up: my views on mainstream music.

hmm.. to be honest, i really don’t listen to anything considered “mainstream.”

my favorite bands include: metric, face to face, lagwagon, the sounds, minus the bear, nofx, the get up kids, reggie and the full effect, the faint, the format, and the descendents. just to name a few.

so.. i guess my views on mainstream music are:

• it isn’t for me
  • turn off the radio

yep.

wow, if i knew those two answers would be so easy, i would have done them ages ago! now i am over halfway done with that silly little survey.. and damnit, i WILL finish it eventually!

today was a super mellow day at the office. not a lot is going on in the window biz since everyone is getting ready for christmas. i left early and delivered fudge to some family and friends.

moves

not a lot is going on at the gym, either! it’s been so dead lately which is really, really nice for me. i love not having to wait for equipment. this week (week 11 of livefit trainer) has been all about high rep, low weight circuit training.

• monday was legs where i did 150 reps of 5 different moves (30 reps each) before resting.. then did the circuit 3 more times.
  • tuesday was back & abs where i did 140 reps of 7 different moves (20 reps each) before resting.. then did the circuit 2 more times, followed by 42 minutes of treadmill intervals.
  • wednesday was chest & calves where i did 140 reps of 7 different moves (20 reps each) before resting.. then did the circuit 2 more times, followed by 35 minutes of the stairmill and a whole lot of foam rolling on my hamstrings.
  • thursday (today) was bis, tris & abs where i did 140 reps of 7 different moves (20 reps each) before resting.. then did the circuit 2 more times, followed by 30 minutes of cardio on the stairmill.

tomorrow is shoulders, and saturday is cardio only. these workouts are a LOT different than the heavy lifting workouts that the training program has had me doing for the past couple of months. it’s a nice change, i am super sore, and i am seeing results.

it is kind of a pain to tack 30-40 minutes of cardio onto the end of the weight circuits, but i know it is important for fat loss. here is the 42-minute treadmill interval routine i made up and completed on tuesday:

minute # speed (MPH) pace intensity (RPE)
0-1 6.0 jog 6
1-2 6.0 jog 6
2-3 6.5 jog 7
3-4 7.0 run 7
4-5 7.5 run 8
5-6 8.0 run 8
6-7 4.0 walk 2

*repeat above 7 minutes 5 times for a total of 42 minutes.

obviously you would adjust the speed to your own level to achieve the intensity levels for you, but this is what i did. it was actually entertaining and better than 40 minutes of single-speed cardio.

(also, i am not a trained professional and any workout i posted here is what worked for me but may not work for you. ask a professional before attempting any workout program.)

meals

i haven’t been carb cycling like the program suggests, but i have been eating relatively clean AND have been staying away from the cookies! i feel like i am in a good spot with my balanced eating, so carb cycling is not something i HAVE to do if i don’t want to. with so much exciting stuff going on around the holidays, i really don’t want to carb cycle.  instead, i will be doing a carb cycling stint before my trip at the end of january. wooo, mexico.

SO! dinner tonight was tasty, healthy, and a nice balance of protein, carbs, and vegetables.

crock pot chicken tikka masala, vegetables, brown rice, and naan.

to make the chicken, i sautéed an onion in about 2 T of butter then added a pound of diced chicken breast. i seasoned the chicken with a shake of tumeric, a shake of garam masala, and a shake of curry powder.  i cooked the chicken until the outsides were browned just a bit, then transferred the onion and chicken to the crock pot.

to the crock pot i added:

• 29 oz can crushed tomatoes
  • 6 oz can tomato paste
  • 1/2 c (4 oz) chicken broth
  • 1 T garam masala
  • 1 t tumeric
  • 1 t curry powder
  • 1 t ground coriander
  • sprinkling of sea salt + black pepper

i mixed everything up and cooked on high for three hours. when it was time to eat, i stirred in a cup of fat free half & half.

i steamed some rice and vegetables and toasted the naan.. and dinner was served!

this was so good and SO easy. never using a jarred masala sauce again.

well, i have presents to wrap! check ya later!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List December 22, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Why I’m still up at 11pm is beyond me? (BeJeweled Blitz) But I’m happy to have read your rambles.

Anna December 22, 2011 at 9:21 pm

What kind of results have you been seeing? I am pretty fit but would like to see more definition. I’m thinking about starting this program in the new year.

kristen December 27, 2011 at 9:08 am

I shared this program with a few friends of mine. One of them (also very fit), lost a pant size and her tops are now a lot looser. She is noticing that she is more firm (she is firmer?).

I had started this program with her and then had to stop and am now planning on hopping right back on the program.

Kristen
Indianapolis

Janetha December 29, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Happy to hear you are doing it, K! xo

Katie @ Livehalffull December 22, 2011 at 9:22 pm

You have great taste in music! I love The Format!!! :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 22, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Tumblr. That is one form of social media that I have not “gotten” or gotten into, I guess. Watch, it’ll be like Twitter or Pinterest and year(s) after everyone else is doing it, I’ll finally catch on and catch up!

Erica December 22, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Ohhhh randy! I think yall need cameras running to capture this craziness! The gym has been quiet! Calm before the storm. Deliciousness on the dinner

Amanda December 22, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I love you and your awesome taste in music. “Reggie, you got shot!” Also, “Today’s my find a girlfriend day!” God, an amazing band.

Tikka masala. My favorite thing to order at Indian. I want to try it in the ol’ crock. Yum.

Stephanie @cookinfanatic December 23, 2011 at 6:19 am

What a great crockpot recipe! I am not a huge fan of the few jarred Indian sauces I’ve tried and definitely like making them myself too. This one looks really good, I’ll have to add it to my list of your recipes that I need to try :P

Heather (Heather's Dish) December 23, 2011 at 6:45 am

i was just looking for a crockpot indian recipe yesterday…great minds must think alike :) sounds amazing!

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy December 23, 2011 at 7:36 am

Mac has been such an asshole lately too. I even took him on a super long walk yesterday to try and tire him out, and he still woke up in the middle of the night and ate some random paper label thing off a blanket in our room. Oh puppies.
And I’ve actually seen 4 of the bands you listed in concert- excellent taste in music ;)

dani December 23, 2011 at 7:50 am

Yo girl! I love your music!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile December 23, 2011 at 7:59 am

I still can’t believe your dog drank all the protein shakes, lol!! Your dinner looks delicious. I’ve never had naan before!

Lee December 23, 2011 at 9:31 am

Randy!!

I don’t really understand tumblr either, but I do read both of those.

Paige @ Running Around Normal December 23, 2011 at 9:55 am

And I’m pinning this recipe for next week’s meal plan :)

Rose December 23, 2011 at 10:13 am

My trainer was in a band that toured Europe with NoFX. I practically creamed myself.

Liz December 23, 2011 at 10:26 am

Has Randy been to the vet to rule out any physical ailment that might be causing him to be a shithead?

I know you like to let your dogs have free reign of the house, but maybe some retraining might be necessary at this point. Have you ever read about NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free)? It’s a really great training philosophy.

Also, I don’t know if you watch Family Guy, but um, whenever Randy does something bad, I think of this:

Christin@purplebirdblog December 23, 2011 at 10:50 am

I am so grateful for Randy’s tummy of steel for you, my friend! Last night Rambo managed to get a hold of a 90% dark chocolate bar and ate the whole thing, enough to kill a dog 3 1/2 times his size! His back legs started shaking so I induced vomiting with peroxide, but even after that he was shaking pretty bad and looking glassy eyed so we spent some time at the emergency vet. He not 100% this morning, but he’s getting there and almost back to his old self again. Sneaky little bastard, but I’m just grateful my baby is okay!

Kelsey December 23, 2011 at 11:04 am

Randy is going to be strong like ox! Things I love but forgot about: Homegirl can Eat [I didn’t forget her.. just could never remember how to find her once she moved!].. Lagwagon + get up kids + reggie + the full effect [also.. didn’t forget about them.. just lost all of my music when my brother erased my hard drive..].. I’m probably going to have to steal some music for you in May!!

julie December 23, 2011 at 12:09 pm

dude randy is about to get BEASTLY he prob sees you gettin all muscled up and thinks the protein shakes are the way to do it

Susan December 23, 2011 at 12:56 pm

I’m not a fan of most mainstream music either, but sometimes those catchy beats draw me in!

De-lurking to wish you a very happy holidays Janetha!

Sarah December 23, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Yumm that looks so good!!! I’m definitely trying to stay dedicated to the gym this month. Will definitely be hitting a workout sometime today before all the eating begins. Hope you have a very merry xmas :)

Brooke December 23, 2011 at 3:44 pm

1) Made me LOL about Randy and the protein shakes… the funniest weirdest cutest dog I have ever seen!!!!!! I love all his instagram pictures! Except he’s TOTALLY on the naughty list for the protein shakes + chili fiasco!!

2) YAY thanks so much for the tumblr love!!!! I miss homegirlcaneat… but my tumblr is good for now!!

3) <3

Maren December 23, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I LOVE the faint. love love love.

Carly D. @ CarlyBananas December 23, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Metric! I only know one of their songs, which was the song covered in Scott Pilgrim and now I’m completely obsessed with it. I bet the rest of their music must also be just as good. :)

Alice December 24, 2011 at 3:01 pm

i have tumblr :) check me out!

Allison December 25, 2011 at 4:20 am

Random posts are sometimes the best kind- too many fabulously different things to share! I’ve always wanted to do the 30 day challenge- maybe the New Year is a good reason to start?!

Melissa W December 30, 2011 at 10:13 am

12/28: Back/biceps strength workout

Bonnie August 27, 2014 at 4:22 pm

What’s your favorite protein powders?

Janetha August 31, 2014 at 10:45 am

Plant Fusion, Onnit Hemp Force, and MRM Whey.