cute maternity & nursing clothes.

by Janetha on August 16, 2014

in oh baby

if you have been reading my blog for awhile, you know that at one time in my life i really didn’t think i would have children. it wasn’t that i didn’t necessarily want children.. i love kiddos, i have lots of nieces and nephews and friends with kids, but i just didn’t feel like kids were right for ME. while i am really into being a dog mom, i didn’t (and actually still don’t) feel very maternal. BUT.. my best friend is my mom. i love our relationship. i am extremely close with my family. they are my everything. friends may come and go, but family truly is forever and there is no bond quite like that family bond. and that is how i knew i wanted to have children with marshall–we couldn’t just grow old without a family of our own! it just took some time to get to the point of actually being ready to start a (human) family.

anyway, once i actually got pregnant, i realized that even though i feel ready to be a mom.. i still know NOTHING about actually BEING a mom. i am so clueless! every single thing about pregnancy and upcoming motherhood is brand new to me and, to be honest, it’s a little scary! however, i know that all moms start out this way. nobody knows how things will be going into it, and that’s okay! (dare i say that’s part of the fun??)

one reason i love blogging is i am able to share my experiences with you all and learn as i go. i have never and will never claim to be an expert in anything (well, except procrastinating.. i should be sponsored for that!) but i will always share my experiences with you guys and let you know how it is for ME.. and you can take what you want from that. me blogging about pregnancy and being a first time mom is just like any other thing i have blogged about, such as body for life, insanity, or planning a wedding! i know nothing going in, ramble about it as i go, and come out a (hopefully) smarter person.

one thing that’s great about having this blog is the comments i receive regarding the subjects i write about. in fact, that may be the greatest thing! you guys offering up your two cents about whatever topic is at hand has been so beneficial and fulfilling for me. so, thank you. and please, keep it up! thanks to the comments in my last post, i have decided to return the mamaroo that i bought (which was over $200 which is why i was on the fence about keeping it…) and buy a traditional swing instead. who knows if it’s the right choice–nobody has it all figured out–but at least i can share my experience with you and let you know how it goes! so thank you for your input and for continuing to share your own experiences. we all can learn from each other in all aspects in life.

anyway.. all these rambles are leading up to something, i promise! since i am clueless and want to document this time in my life, i decided to start a little series where i share my new experiences. it drives me crazy when bloggers act like they are experts about things that they most definitely are not, or try to come off as knowing more than the next individual with no real reason other than self-proclimation. but i am all about fully disclosing that i am clueless and want to ramble about the situations at hand. so, i bring you my clueless first time mom series. yay!

NewImage

hopefully those who are equally as clueless as me can have fun reading along and those of you who have been there, done that can chime in with your two cents. don’t worry, every post won’t be an excerpt from my latest and greatest adventures in pregnancy and motherhood.. because, well, i know some of you don’t give a shit about kids or being a mom. but since it’s basically consuming me these days, i can’t not talk about it.

so, today i want to talk about maternity clothes. specifically looking somewhat put together and cute in maternity clothes. i’m not gonna lie, the majority of this pregnancy has been spent in baggy gym clothes (mind you, i haven’t been going to the gym), pajamas, and–most recently–my husband’s t-shirts and basketball shorts. poor marshall probably thinks i am the biggest slob ever. but getting dressed when you are pregnant SUCKS! legit. it sucks.

but, i have that whole full time day job.. where i have to look presentable. ugh. i know some ladies think they are glowing and beautiful and love the way they look while pregnant.. but that’s not how i have felt. i haven’t felt ugly, i have just felt exhausted with the task of getting dressed for work each day. growing out of more and more clothes as the days go by is frustrating! and spending money on clothes that you will only wear for a very short while is even MORE frustrating.. and expensive! let me tell you, i have done more laundry these past five months than ever in my life, because i refuse to buy even more maternity clothes that i can only use temporarily. i have about five outfits that i rotate through. it’s boring and blah and i don’t love it.. but i also don’t want to buy a new wardrobe every time i get bigger.

enter: functional and CUTE maternity and nursing wear.

maternity sale sent me a few pieces of eve of eden clothing to try out, assuring me that their clothing is NOT like the rest of maternity wear out there. by this they meant that not only can i wear it now, with my ever-growing belly, but i can also wear the clothing postpartum. the pieces i received are made for maternity, but also designed for that fourth trimester where not everything is quite back the way it should be AND you need to be able to whip your boobs out to nurse your baby (if you are into that.. which i am.. which i am sure i will overshare about here on the blog when the time comes.) all the maternity pieces they sent are nursing-compatible. not only that, but they are all pieces that can be worn forever and ever, long after pregnancy and nursing. and, even better, they are all CUTE and PERFECT for the office!

the first item is the black shirt-dress.

IMG 8056

this one is great for the office!

IMG 8057

there are snaps down the front which means great access for nursing. plus–POCKETS! everything is better with pockets.

IMG 8051

the removable tie makes this dress great for a growing belly or for wearing when not pregnant.

IMG 8053

the second item is the dip hem striped dress.

IMG 8069

the fabric is super stretchy and soft. it will definitely adjust to your growing belly and spring back into place once your baby is on the outside. there is a hidden bandeau under the dress which makes it nursing-friendly. (i’ve got a nude bra on, by the way. i am not flashing you!)

IMG 8073

the back has a cute tie detail which also adjusts the neckline in the front.

IMG 8063

the third and final item is the grey polka dot sweater. by far my FAVORITE piece!!

IMG 8090

i am so excited for cooler weather so i can wear this day in and day out. no, i won’t be pregnant come cooler temps.. but i WILL be nursing, and this sweater has snaps for easy access.

IMG 8080

and there is a cute little pocket on the sleeve! all about the details, folks.

IMG 8083

it’s super baggy and roomy, so no matter what trimester you are in.. you can rock this.

IMG 8092

but it will also look cute after pregnancy, when there is no baby in your belly. (momma b was going to model it for you all, but she didn’t have her lipstick on. don’t ask.. she’s weird about lipstick application and photographs.)

so.. yep.. that’s the extent of my maternity modeling career. side note–why do people PAY to get maternity photos? i would not want to pay anyone to take my picture whilst pregnant. i mean, i like documenting my body as i grow, but i would rather spend photography $$$ on newborn pics over maternity pics. maybe that’s just me.

anyway, back to the clothes. i feel a lot better about buying maternity clothing that can be used postpartum and that is nursing-compatible. that sweatshirt is going to be a staple in my wardrobe forever and always, i already know it. and those dresses are so functional that i won’t have to store them away for my next pregnancy (if there is one..more than likely)–they can hang in my closet always and be worn year-round–pregnant or not.

and, HEY! if you decide to shop on maternity sale, you can use the code MOVES14 for $10 off your $60+ order! this expires november 30, 2014. click HERE to browse the site! they have dresses, tops, bottoms, swimwear, and lots more. happy shopping!

1. been there done that ladies–what approach did you take with maternity clothing? did you buy a bunch, cycle through a few, live in PJs? what were your favorite brands?

2. for everyone else.. what was the last piece of clothing you bought?

disclosure time! these three specific items were sent free of charge for review. no compensation was provided for this post. i really love the website and have spent my own dollars on their cute clothes. i think they are well worth it, especially after comparing them to my experience with other maternity clothing websites/in store purchases during my pregnancy.

Erica August 16, 2014 at 11:06 pm

I am not quite ready to start a family yet, but it’s in my near future. I feel like I’m not way maternal, either! I look forward to watching you learn! Thanks for not trying to be preachy or come off as the expert just because you are pregnant.

Cheri Z August 16, 2014 at 11:28 pm

Since we adopted, I didn’t go the pregnancy route, but I have had tons of friends who have. They set up a clothes rotation so they had new clothes, but didn’t have to purchase very many of them. Teaming up sure stretched their wardrobes.

You’re looking great!

WW August 16, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Going to check out those maternity clothes!

Pua August 17, 2014 at 1:05 am

I love that you’re planning to do a first time mom series. I’m so clueless about what’s going to happen in the next seven weeks! For example, the AFTER part of what’s going to happen to your body… like the pain, bleeding… sounds fun.

So far, I haven’t had to buy too much in the way of maternity clothes because I didn’t have to work during the summer (teacher). But now that we’re going back, I think I have to do some shopping SOON!

Marie-Sophie August 17, 2014 at 2:59 am

I live in Germany so unfortunately I won’t be able to get those maternity pieces (they look awesome – and so practical!). I pretty much got a basic maternity wardrobe: 1 pair of jeans, 2 pairs of black pants that can be worn to work, 1 black skirt for work, 1 pair of shorts for summer; several maternity tops in basic colors (white, black, mint, black-white stripes …) that can also be worn under cardigans when it gets colder and 2 longer maternity tops as well as a couple new cardigans in brighter but easy-to-match (for me) colors. I also bought quite a few pieces with the longs months of (hopefully) nursing afterwards, so I simply bought nursing bras for my pregnancy boobs and most tops can be used for nursing as well (adjustable straps, ready for pull-down under cardigans). Also quite a few (flowy) blouses can be worn in the months after when the belly might still need some time. And some things, like cardigans can be worn pretty much until the end if you can leave them open. Just try if it works! To mix things up, I use some necklaces, colorful scarves and some nail color to feel good (and less basic-looking). And the good thing is, most things are from H&M! (with pants costing between EUR 20 and EUR 40 and the tops being around EUR 10!). Just a few things were from more expensive brands such as “bellybutton” (and they were all on sale).

One tip for other mamas-to-be: Use the Sales but be aware that you do NOT know how you (and your belly) are going to look or change throughout pregnancy! So to buy “just in case” or thinking that “it will fit me at some point” is a lot more likely to result in wasted money!

And Janetha, I have the same problem as you: I have to look pulled together for my job (as a lawyer) so I had to put some more thought into it as well. You look fantastic in those pieces shown!!

Marie-Sophie August 17, 2014 at 3:01 am

Sorry, with the “cardigans you can leave open until the end” I actually meant business blazers! And sorry for the long comment :-)

Kellie August 17, 2014 at 7:44 am

Good thing there wasn’t blogging waaaaaay back in the late 80’s when I had my first..I was pretty sure I knew everything LOL. oh well live and learn :)

e August 17, 2014 at 8:45 am

i LOVE this (and by “this” i mean both the idea for the clueless mom series and the clothes you featured, haha). i’m a first-timer due in december. i’m a teacher and have been slobbing it up all summer long. in two short weeks i’ll actually have to put myself together a bit (woe is me).

like you, i’m also just doing tons of laundry – good practice for when baby’s here? i got one good pair of jeans, a dress that can carry me through fall, and some tanks and tees for layering. for work and fall, i’ll add a few more seasonal, dressier things.

Emily August 17, 2014 at 9:07 am

I love that sweatshirt! I want it and I’m not pregnant or nursing. Last thing I bought was some sunglasses at Target. Does that count?

Katie August 17, 2014 at 9:36 am

my sister in laws and I have about 5 bags of maternity clothing that we have been swapping for the last 4 years. It’s kind of nice not to have to buy much, but a staple I can’t live without and have bought like for pairs of are black maternity leggings.

Love the idea did this series!

Lacey August 17, 2014 at 10:22 am

That sweater is SO FREAKING CUTE! I can understand why it’s your fav. You look great :)

Lindsay August 17, 2014 at 10:48 am

That sweater is so cute! I probably bought a lot more maternity clothes than I should have or needed to. I spent a decent amount of money that, you know, probably could have gone towards other more responsible things like student loans. But I like dressing nice and looking put together – I work and interact with a lot of customers every day and have to wear “business casual lite” at work (basically no jeans and no flip flops). I was handed down a lot of things from my sister, too. And I figure I will save everything for if/when I have another and if/when my sister or a close friend needs them. If not, I know I can always sell them on consignment. I haven’t bought any nursing-specific things yet except a few camis. I do plan to breastfeed but if it doesn’t work out, I don’t want to be stuck with a bunch of stuff.

Jenn - Girl Heroes August 17, 2014 at 11:29 am

Love that sweater! I actually wish I would have bought more clothes that serve dual purpose (maternity and nursing). Great pieces!

Jenn - Girl Heroes August 17, 2014 at 11:32 am

Ps I definitely consider you an expert in style. Although I know you would say that about yourself! :-) <3

Becky @ TheBexFactor August 17, 2014 at 11:41 am

Those are super cute clothes!

I really did not invest in maternity clothes when I was pregnant. I didn’t want to waste my money on things I would only wear a few months and instead relied on leggings and dresses or tunics. One thing I did love was maternity leggings. I rocked those things well past pregnancy until they got a hole, they were so comfy.

If I ever get pregnant again, I might actually invest in some maternity/nursing wear because since having my son I’ve seen some super cute pieces out there!

Katie August 17, 2014 at 2:19 pm

When I was pregnant with Drake I got most of my stuff from Target! Otherwise I wore leggings, HUGE sweats & hoodies ;) I’m sure I was such a treat to be with in public! Ha… Your such a cute Mama :)!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 17, 2014 at 7:44 pm

love the series idea! and you. and that belly. and i’ll help with any nursing questions that you have – it’s my very favorite.

lindsay August 17, 2014 at 8:06 pm

i think i’ll need you both once we get preggers…. which is not soon, but ya know.. sometime in the future. and i’m clueless

Corrie Anne August 17, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Haha. This is too perfect of timing for me! I’m about 16 weeks and just starting to feel like, omg, getting dressed totally sucks. And I just made a Pin board about maternity clothes that don’t suck. Those dresses are so cute. Great job modeling them. :) Sounds like a great series. Lucky me being 6 months or whatever behind you!

ShannonK August 17, 2014 at 10:16 pm

FIRST- I have to tell you how completely adorable, and yes Glowing, you look! Second, this post brought back a funny memory. I have 3 sons, so I am totally a “been there done that” mom. With my first, I refused to buy maternity clothes because my belly was relatively small and I could just roll my pants under my belly. I wore regular clothes with a larger size shirt all the way through. Then came baby # 2…still a small tummy but literally, I was pregnant in my butt! Oh my gosh, my poor hips just spread like mad and I remember laying in the closet, on the floor, bawling that I am not going anywhere this entire pregnancy because ” I have nothing to weaaaarrrrrr.” So I broke down and bought maternity clothes. Haha. And just so ya know, and so that you won’t be worried, my body went back to (mostly) normal! :-)

Bonnie August 18, 2014 at 9:33 am

Oh man, who isn’t clueless? :) I think this is a great series idea! Super excited to read along, because I’m kind of getting the urge here… Ready to join the ranks of being a mom! Nothing planned and not in the next year – but soon! I love my mom too and our relationship is so, so valuable to me – I’d love for that with kids one day too. Love those outfits on you; the last one is SO YOU and I like the red striped dress!

Janetha August 18, 2014 at 11:25 am

eeeee i am excited for you :)

Carly August 18, 2014 at 9:34 am

I have twins, so needless to say I was in maternity clothes VERY early (by 12 weeks). I got a few things from Target, a lot from Motherhood Maternity, and a friend of mine donated me a TON of clothes. I also wore a lot of pre-pregnancy stretchy skirts that folded over from Old Navy. We are still on the fence about if we want another child or not, so I feel like maternity clothes in general are a huge waste of $$ since you wear them for such a short amount of time. I pretty much just cycled through the same outfits and wore sweats on the weekends when I wasn’t working :) As for nursing clothes… I didn’t nurse my boys (they were born at 29 weeks and we just weren’t able to), but I did pump milk for them for 10.5 months and wore nursing tanks from Target ALLLLL the time b/c it was way easier to just unhook and fold it down when I was pumping around the clock!

Janetha August 18, 2014 at 11:24 am

i bet that was quite the task with twins! good for you!

Linz @ Itz Linz August 18, 2014 at 5:49 pm

super cute!! i was lucky to borrow lots of clothes from my sister and friends, but i did buy a few staples!

Candice@Hungrymotherunner August 18, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Cute! Finding nursing clothes is harder then finding clothes that fit while pregnant! I hate it more.. ha! BUT I seriously can’t wait to meet your babe!!

Katie August 18, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Hands down the best book I ever read as a new mom was, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It was my savior. http://www.drweissbluth.com/

Janetha August 18, 2014 at 10:11 pm

thank you! will check it out!

Momma b August 18, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Love this post and your new segment!! Clueless…I can relate, but I’m certain you’re gonna be a stellar mom!!

I made huge polo golf shirts (small tents) then took the sides in and I could keep wearing them. So clever

momma b. August 18, 2014 at 11:03 pm

And the lipstick thing – it gives me that totally complete look that a 60 something woman really needs :-)

Love you!
xoxo

LG August 19, 2014 at 2:42 pm

The last thing I bought was Tory Burch flip flops. I love them, but gee whiz, they were expensive. I’m going to start buying better quality, but LESS stuff. No more of this “It was on sale so I bought one, even though I didn’t really like it super much” stuff. I’m gettin’ all European “I only have a small closet” about clothing!!

Annette@FitnessPerks August 20, 2014 at 9:47 am

Oh those pieces are all so cute! I totally love that sweater–polka dots(!!!) I’ll have to check ‘em out the next time I’m pregnant.

You’re getting sooooo close!!!!!

CrystalB August 21, 2014 at 9:15 am

I had to dress Business Casual for work through my pregnancy. I basically closed my pants with a hair tie for the first trimester, bought three pairs of cheap pants, and wore my normal tops or mens button down shirts that I altered throughout. The part that sucked most for me was not being able to drive. I am so short (4’11”) and I have to sit so close to the steering wheel, that my belly was in the steering wheel at month 4. So I was much more concerned about getting to work every day than what I was going to wear. :)

And the last thing I bought was a maxi skirt from Charlotte Russe. Just discovered the joys of maxis. I might never wear pants again.