app happy.

by Janetha on June 10, 2013

in how to,tips

heyo! how was your weekend? hopefully it was filled with fun! mine sure was.

as i mentioned, it was my first weekend since mid-april where i had nothing on the agenda. you KNOW that means sleeping in and eating out! i did plenty of both. oh, and guess what i did zero of? working out. i had good intentions to work out at least one of the two days this weekend, but the gym took a back seat to my bed, the pool, brunch, shopping, and a puppy playdate. such is life! guess what else took a back seat to all that fun stuff? my laundry. but i never had any good intentions to do it.. do i ever? ha.

anyway, the weekend was fun and life is good. today was another typical monday filled with meetings all morning! i actually didn’t get around to eating breakfast until 11 AM which was painful for my empty belly. once i did get around to it, i made 3 egg whites + 1 whole egg over medium and some ezekiel toast. no photo because i am sure you can use your imagination.

this has been my breakfast every weekday since april! i haven’t been blogging about my meals very much (or blogging much at all, period) but i have been meaning to tell you guys that my eats have been a lot cleaner since april. sure, i still eat out all the time and splurge at this event or that party.. but my day-to-day weekday eats have been on the straight and narrow for a few months now and i am pretty proud about it. i will have to do a full day of eats post soon!

anyway.. i get off work at 3 o’clock on mondays (because i go in early for my meeting marathon) so when it was quittin’ time i stepped out into the scorching sun and got just a little bit melty. the high today was ONE HUNDRED DEGREES. yuck. i love summer but 100 is pushin’ it past the limit of summer love!

what’s worse is that today’s workout had lots of running in it.. i already hate running, so running in 100 degree heat is just icing on the cake. by the way, i hate icing. i usually go to the 5 o’clock class on mondays but i opted to crawl into my cool bed and lay around for awhile… but then i came to my senses and realized i should probably work out since i hadn’t since friday. SOOO.. i reluctantly went to the 6:30 class.  i managed to power through the 800m runs even though it was hot and i was miserable.. i know i can do hard things! i ended up with 4 rounds + 400m of the workout:

DONE.

IMG 9060

oh, and PS, i have been using a pre-workout drink by NLA for her called “uplift”. i LOVE it. i actually love the whole line (there is a protein powder and a metabolic booster and aminos) and will be reviewing it soon!

i came home and the last thing i wanted to do was eat something hot, so i opted to make cool & crisp greek salads for dinner!

IMG 9061

the meal came together pretty quickly. greek salads are always a hit at our house!

so, about the title.. app happy! i have an iphone and marshall will tell you that i am always on it. yep.. guilty as charged..

i thought i would share some of my favorite apps with you today. i have done this once before, so make sure you check out the first installment that includes instagram, list, camera+, whole foods market recipes, and diptic.

here are four MORE apps i love and use daily.

snapchat cost: free

snapchat is by far my favorite app of the moment! it’s a quick and easy way to send photos and short videos to friends. the photos—or “snaps”—only appear to the recipient for a short time. first you snap a photo (or hold down the button to film a video for up to 10 seconds).

then are able to select how long you want the recipient to view the photo. i have mine set to 10 seconds (the longest) by default.

for fun, you can draw or add text to your photos!

IMG_9024 IMG_9025

once you are ready to send your snap, you select from your list of friends. you can send to multiple people at once or just to one person.

once you send your snaps out, the will be listed as “delivered” or “opened”. the recipient can open the snap and view it for however long you set the timer for. once the time is up, that snap is gone forever! unless, of course, they take a screenshot of your snap! but, don’t worry, you will be notified if they did this.

when you receive a snap, it will let you know and you just select on the snap (in bold) to view it.

i send snaps back and forth with marshall, my mom, and my friends all day long! we snap all sorts of things from our food to our pets to the latest cute thing at target to…  well, you get the point. and, as evidenced above, we send duck faces back and forth as a joke!

if you have or get snapchat, add me! my username—> janeeetha.

timehop cost: free

this is my FAVORITE app to look at every morning! timehop accessed your facebook, instagram, twitter, and even your phone’s camera roll and then tells you all the stuff you posted and took pictures of that exact day in history. so, for example.. a on june 10th i posted the following 1 year ago and 2 years ago:

IMG_9020 IMG_9021

it will also tell you whatever tweets you published as well as facebook status updates and, like i said, even photos you took with your phone but didn’t publish anywhere. it’s pretty cool and fun to take a trip back in time! you gotta get this! note: i think you HAVE to have facebook to use it.. you login with facebook and then link your twitter and instagram accounts afterward.

ruzzle cost: free OR $2.99 for ad-free version

iPhone Screenshot 1

not much to explain here.. this is just like boggle and you play against your friends or random opponents. boggle is my FAVORITE game of all time, so i am hooked on ruzzle! if you want to play, add me—> janetha22.

instasize cost: free with optional add-ons (see here)

so awhile back, instagram had an update that made it so you had to crop your photo to be perfectly square. well, sometimes i want the whole photo! for example, i posted this photo of randy and marshall to my instagram yesterday:

if i had cropped it to be a square, i would either cut off randy’s cute feet or marshall’s cute face. not acceptable. (clearly, because look at the comment on the photo regarding randy’s feet!)

the solution is instasize! it lets you load your photo into the app and then open instagram from within the app. it then lets you post the entire photo to your instagram without cropping. you can select a black or white backdrop to fill the empty space. i always select white because that is the color of the background when scrolling in instagram is white, so it all just blends in when scrolling.

whelp, those are all my apps to share for tonight! i am off to a concert.. their name is inappropriate and my mom reads here, so i will just say i am going to these guys. ;)

Qs~ 1. smart phone users: what’s your favorite app? 2. what is your favorite game of all time?

candice@hungrymotherrunner June 10, 2013 at 9:31 pm

I need instasize! that whole square thing makes me mad sometimes! I had no idea it even existed! thanks!
I am not jealous that you had to do that in 100 degrees.. ew. I thought the 87 was bad at9:30!

Lisa June 10, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Glad you were able to have a nice and relaxing weekend after all the craziness that’s been happening lately! Sometimes it’s nice to just keep things low key.
That’s great your eats have been a lot cleaner too. Hopefully this is helping with the gut situation too. I notice it seems to help mine when I eat a pretty healthy diet.
I still need to get on this snapchat trend. My Sister is all about it, but I’m not too sure if I need another addiction to add to my phone;)
My favorite game of all time is sudoku – I’m seriously obsessed with that game!

Julie June 11, 2013 at 12:09 am

Thanks for the heads up on InstaSize! Who doesn’t need that?!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva June 11, 2013 at 12:30 am

I need to get instasize! My favourite app is ‘camera awesome’…it is great for editing and make your photos look fab :)

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats June 11, 2013 at 2:41 am

I’m totally obsessed with playing Candy Crush at the moment. It is really bad I’ve even made in-app purchases and everything :)

I will have to check out Timehop I hadn’t heard of it before.

Danielle @ It's A Harleyyy Life June 11, 2013 at 3:24 am

I just downloaded time hop. that one sounds like so much fun! I loveeee snapchat!

Erica June 11, 2013 at 5:44 am

SO glad you had such a nice weekend! And now I”m craving a greek salad. YUM! My Mom and I are salad bar-ing it for lunch. I will have to make on then. You know I’m an instagram-aholic. Josh complains about my smart phone usage as well

Sian June 11, 2013 at 5:51 am

New fav app at the moment is vine. Super fun and can get super silly ! Also anther candy crush addict. Love that game!

Destini June 11, 2013 at 6:05 am

I am obsessed with PicTapGo. It also allows full size images to go to instagram, but I love the filters. And LOVEEEE the app “over”. I got it on one of those redeemable itunes cards from Starbucks a couple weeks back. It allows you to put words and stuff on your photos.

Janetha June 11, 2013 at 9:18 am

thanks! i am getting both of those!

lindsay June 11, 2013 at 6:34 am

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. so that’s how you work snap chat. I was lost

Janetha June 11, 2013 at 9:18 am

do you have it?!?! i want to snap your face off. let me know.

lindsay June 11, 2013 at 9:56 am

just snapped at you.. did it work?

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 11, 2013 at 7:18 am

I’ve had a lot of friends tell me to get SnapChat but I have yet to do it. Maybe someday. ;)

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles June 11, 2013 at 8:38 am

I actually don’t use too many apps…right now I’m trying to resist the urge to download Candy Crush because everyone keeps telling me how it sucks them in!

Tamara June 11, 2013 at 8:44 am

Your Greek salad looks SO good!!

Also, you can send some of that heat our way. It’s been unseasonably cool here and I would love some 80s, any time now!

sherice@foodieluvsfitness June 11, 2013 at 10:31 am

love ruzzle! I need that instasize! I’m loving the Garden time planner app..I’m a horrible gardener so this helps me a LOT and I couldn’t live without my breezelite wind chime app.. I use it almost nightly. I’m one of those people who can’t sleep in dead silence.. so this app is a must for me. Both apps are free!

purelytwins June 11, 2013 at 5:49 pm

we need to get those apps!!! thanks girl for sharing as we are always looking for new ones to play with :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning June 11, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I’m pretty sure that every single cool APP on my phone that I have is because of you. Remember when we were all obsessed with DrawSomething??! I haven’t played that in forever!
INSTASIZE is exactly what I need (actually, what I NEED is to take a break from Instagram, period!). And btw, I know about Instagram because of YOU too. …thanks. ;)

BroccoliHut June 11, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Love the sound of Timehop and Instasize!!

Elizabeth M. June 11, 2013 at 7:03 pm

That’s my comment! hehe. Love this, I am going to have to download that app so you don’t have to crop everything a square. Lately I’ve been SO addicted to Dots. Seriously. It’s ridiculous!

julie June 11, 2013 at 7:35 pm

oh I LOVE snapchat hahaha i’m embarrassed to admit it but i do i do! i feel like a 13 year old giddy kid hahah. ANYWAYS. i also feel like i need this instasize like instantly

Janetha June 11, 2013 at 10:08 pm

whaaat.. what’s your username

Andrea June 11, 2013 at 8:05 pm

I am a ruzzle addict

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome June 11, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Oooh that GPP workout sounds tough in that heat! I did my first GPP workout the other day from the website and loved it! I think it was the Eliminator? Awesome!
My friend and I were just talking about how annoying it was to have to crop the images. I’m definitely getting Instasize!

Cassie @RedLetterDaye June 12, 2013 at 11:28 am

Ahhhh! How was the strfkr show?! Love them!

Janetha June 12, 2013 at 11:31 am

AMAZZZZZZZZING. better than last time i saw them, which i didn’t think was possible!

kristen @livinlifeinlouie June 12, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I can’t wait to one day have a fancy phone haha. (im holding out. lots of house projects to get through first)
I would love to use timehop! to see what was going on last year.

calee June 12, 2013 at 3:42 pm

i finally caved and got snap chat. i kept hearing about it from our students. so far, my sister is the only one i chat with, but it’s pretty awesome b/c now instead of her sending me mile long texts and wanting to have what should be a phone convo via text, she sends pix with captions.

my current favorite apps aren’t that exciting. nike + running app (b/c i used to use the pod thing), timehop, feedly, and i rediscovered foursquare, but i’m sure i’ll be over it again in a couple months once i’m used to having an iphone (finally).

maria June 12, 2013 at 7:48 pm

AHHH! Thanks for sharing the cool apps. Always looking for fun stuff like this.

ali moll June 17, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I love snapchat and timehop! I only really snapchat with my kids though! My friends are all too old and unhip to have snapchat! LOL! I hasn’t heard of instasize before this! I’m going to have to try it out for sure!

GiGi Eats Celebrities June 17, 2013 at 11:13 pm

FAVORITE APP: Probably Instagram and/or Seize The Day! I also really like BlogLovin!! :D