comcast + couscous.

by Janetha on August 5, 2011

in how to,random rambles,recipes

it’s 10 PM and we just finished eating dinner.

TEN PEE EM.

an hour and a half of that has to do with the fact that i got into a heated phone call with comcast after work today. this big fat waste of time led to me canceling my cable and internet service and i know i will be ultimately happier in the long run.  GOOD RIDDANCE, COMCAST. get out of my life.

whew, sorry, went off there, didn’t i? it’s still a sensitive subject, apparently. moving on.

after hanging up with comcast, i let my frustrations out at the gym. i didn’t even get to the gym until 7:30 PM—yikes. i spent an hour on biceps + triceps with a short 10 minute jaunt on the elliptical. (can we call it a jaunt?)

the dinner we just finished eating was worth the wait! it was so dang delicious.. marshall said it needs to go on “the menu for the restaurant”—yes, we WILL have a restaurant some day.

greek!

before leaving for the gym, i diced two chicken breasts into 1” cubes and marinated the cubes in a mix of olive oil and this line up of spices:

when i got home from the gym, i skewered the chicken onto some bamboo sticks.

marshall grilled the chicken while i prepped the rest of the dinner.

first i made some tzatziki by i combining 1/2 cup of  plain greek yogurt with a small minced cucumber (after peeling it), the juice of 1/2 a lemon, a half tablespoon of dried dill and some salt & pepper.

next, i got to work on the salad—this was tough.  i tore up a head of romaine, pulled some marinated artichoke quarters out of the cupboard, grabbed the costco container of grape tomatoes from the fridge and crumbled a tiiiiiny corner from the massive block of euphrates feta emily sent me.

this is the second of the two blocks i received.. we have feta for days, folks! come on over! i have plenty to spare.

simplest salad ever.

i was going to make greek dressing from scratch, but since we were short on time, i used one of my favorite bottled varieties (i always pick this up when i visit a trader joe’s!)

i also prepared some whole grain couscous. i was planning to do roasted lemon potatoes, but after the whole comcast fiasco, those were out. couscous is the quickest starch to prepare, so that decision was easy.

for the couscous, i boiled one cup of low sodium vegetable broth and then added one cup of whole grain couscous. i removed it from the heat and covered the pot.  after it sat for about 5 minutes and all the broth was absorbed, i fluffed it with a fork.

i then added three thinly sliced green onions, about a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, a generous shake of granulated garlic, the juice of 1/2 a lemon and a little salt & pepper. one more fluff and the couscous was ready!

just as i was finishing everything in the kitchen, marshall brought the chicken kebabs in from the grill.  we threw it all onto our plates and called it good.  and it was.

this came together relatively quickly considering how many components were involved!

i ended up mixing the couscous into the salad and then pouring the tzatziki over top of it all. the various textures and flavors were incredible together! i need to start topping my green salads with grains more often.

i am already excited to eat the leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

1. what is your favorite grain?

2. what time do you typically eat dinner?

bonus question: do you hate comcast?

Errign August 5, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I’ve never used Comcast and I never will, after hearing so many people complain about their screw ups and crappy customer service! We have Time Warner at home, and here I just have whatever the apartment complex provides for free (well, I tell myself it’s free, but it’s part of rent.)

My favorite grain is quinoa, I guess, since cous cous is a pasta. I do like just plain old brown rice a bunch too.

I usually eat dinner supah eary because I’m a total grandma and am starving by 5 pm usually. I generally forgo snacking to have bigger meals. :)

Janetha August 5, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Couscous counts! It’s made from grain! haha. Oh and did you know quinoa is a seed? I count it as a grain still. Tomato tomahto. (Oh and speaking of, I consider tomatoes a veggie not a fruit ;) )

ComcastMark August 5, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Looks delicious! Reading this post made me crave for Greek salad. I put capers and black olive on my salad. Feta is the star!

I just wanted to let you know, I work for Comcast and I apologize for the poor experience. I’d like to learn more about your experience so that I can have your concerns addressed. Please feel free to contact me if you’re willing to discuss your experience further.

Also, for those of you who are still in need of assistance with your Comcast service, you may contact me too. I apologize to all you for any inconvenience we may have caused.

Thanks,

Mark Casem
Comcast Corp.
National Customer Operations
We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Janetha August 5, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Oh Mark,
Thanks for your attempt to address my concerns. I may have considered calling, but just over an hour ago I got a phone call from you guys AGAIN telling me that I had to pay you to not interrupt my service.
I nicely told the caller that my service was interrupted by ME since I canceled it and that Comcast in fact owes me $80 some odd dollars.. which, mind you, was not on the account. So I had to go at it again and make sure it’s canceled and I am getting my refund.
Oy.. I feel bad that you have do deal with angry customers, because I wasn’t even mean and I know the guy on the other end hated it.
Good luck!

Lindsay August 5, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Janetha, we live in SC and hate comcast too. actually all cable companies blow, in my humble opinion. direct tv and dsl is sooo much better!

also the dinner looks great!

Alta August 5, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Favorite grain? Hmm…I love quinoa. It’s technically not a grain though. But whatever. Your skewered chicken looks SO good. Why don’t I do that more often? Somehow, when you cut meat into cubes and put it on a stick, it instantly looks that much more delicious. Definitely need to do this soon. And comcast? Ummm…they started sucking a number of years ago around here so we quit them. Dealing with them was a nightmare. I feel your pain.

McIntosh August 5, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Cable companies in general suck but thankfully I have always rented from places that had it already included. But I’ve heard tons of horror stories about Comcast too.

I am so anal about negotiating and scrutinizing my monthly bills because somehow it goes up randomly with no explanation!

Oh and if you and Marshall open a restaurant I will make the flight to Utah (: Even better open a B&B and I’ll hang out for weeks…

Janetha August 5, 2011 at 4:58 pm

It’ll be a coffee shop/cafe! COME ON OVER! I promise I will try to make crepes…

Rocky Mountain Woman August 5, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Hi Janetha,

I live so far out in the boonies that Comcast doesn’t even provide service here! Lucky me, huh?

Thanks for visiting. I love the PC market, it’s on Wed afternoon and closes at six, so I have to hurry to get there after work before it closes.

My favorite grain is good old fashioned oats, slow cooked with raw sugar and fruit for breakfast…

I typically eat dinner late. I work in SLC and commute to Summit County, so it’s usually pretty late when I get home.

I absolutely love your blog! I’ll be back soon for a nice long read…

RMW

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 12:59 am

Thanks for stopping by! I love connecting with local bloggers :) Big ups to you for making such a commute–that’s so admirable! I just go from Woods Cross to SLC, not too bad.

Hope you have a lovely week!

Sarah August 5, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I like anything “nutty,” like brown rice.
My husband’s been getting home around 7 a lot of nights, so that’s often when I eat…although sometimes I eat around 4. No lie!

FoodCents August 5, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Oh heavens, Comcrap – the time we have spent dealing with them is far too much. I appreciated when they activated a dead account & sent a bill. That was fun.

Greek dinner is always good, I am game to eat it almost every night.

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate August 5, 2011 at 7:55 pm

OMG. Comcast F***ing sucks. I ended up canceling my cable and internet with them a few months ago and I was much happier :)

PBJenny August 6, 2011 at 9:39 am

for some reason the thought of you jaunting on the elliptical makes me giggle :)

I am such a dud when it comes to prepping grains. I’ve tried quinoa a few times and it always just ends of being so dry. I stick to oats.. and bread. Lots of bread.

ann August 6, 2011 at 3:17 pm

HI Janetha….I work for Comcast in MI,. All Comcasters have these special cards with special phone number to call and an id number to mention so that they known you are a friend/family of an employee and you’re experiencing an unresolved problem. Sorry to hear your bad experiences but if you ever need it that number please contact me.

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 12:55 am

Hey Ann! Thanks for your comment and your effort to help. I already canceled and unfortunately have such a bad taste in my mouth that I won’t be going back–but on the up side, I found separate internet and television service that is less than half of our old Comcast bill, so that’s cool.

Thanks!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli August 13, 2011 at 12:22 pm

My favorite grain (beside oats that is) would probably have to be quinoa. Like couscous, I love how fast it comes together! I usually like to have dinner around 7:30 or 8…anything earlier than that and I start getting pretty hungry around bedtime and I don’t sleep so well with a full belly :(

Haha! Sorry to hear about your comcast trouble…I remember you tweeting about it! I’ve never had them before, but I DO hate DirecTV! ;) I canceled my satellite with them over 1 1/2 years ago. Best decision ever! And I’m saving so much money!

Lauren January 23, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Janetha, you always impresses me with your ability to create such amazing meals. I love how you can just throw things together. Sometimes I do that and I definitely adapt recipes but I’m not so creative in my creations. So want to make this entire meal!

Janetha January 23, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Thank you for your sweet comment, Lauren!