treadmill trauma.

by Janetha on January 8, 2013

in moves,random rambles

guys, i am not gonna lie.. i am a tad ragey tonight! all i know is marshall and the pups aren’t my biggest fan right now.. i am super grumpy and irritable.

i think–no, i know–the driving reason behind this was my absolutely awful treadmill mishap this morning. oh, boy, you guys are gonna laugh. but first, my workout. i met my friends kerryne and amanda at gold’s this morning for a little circuit training. i hadn’t worked out with them in weeks–no, months!–so i wanted to get together for a fun little sesh.

Total Body Circuit - meals & moves

[pinit]

after the circuit work, kerryne and i headed to the treadmills for 15 minutes of sprints (30 seconds on, 30 seconds off.) we completed our first 30 seconds and then stepped off to the side for our 30 seconds off, and i had to tie my left shoe. i placed my foot up on the bar of the treadmill, tied it, and when i put my foot back down… it slipped between my treadmill and kerryne’s treadmill! that started the shit storm that we shall refer to as the treadmill tragedy of 2013. because my foot was wedged between the treadmills, my whole body fell and my right knee was skidding against the treadmill belt (which was whizzing along at 8.5 MPH…) my body was somehow jumbled into a hot mess just perfectly enough for my left elbow to be skidding the treadmill belt along with my right knee.

i was down there for what seemed like an ETERNITY. kerryne was trying to help me up AND trying to stop my treadmill at the same time (and, mind you, HER treadmill was still going at 8.5 mph!) finally the guy to my right hit the emergency stop, i got myself up off the belt, and came to my senses. it was crazy! and, believe it or not, i wasn’t really embarrassed. a few people told me they’d cry from embarrassment, but i was more bummed about how bad it hurt than anything else. i decided to call it quits and headed home to hit the shower.

the damage doesn’t look too bad, but i assure you.. it hurts!

my elbow..

IMG 4262

my knee..

IMG 4259

and a gnarly blood blister that somehow happened to appear after the mishap..

IMG 4260

duh. i am an idiot! you guys can laugh at me, promise. i am laughing at myself and everyone i know has laughed at me all day. it’s pretty ridiculous!

anyway, the whole day was spent being uncomfortable whenever i moved. (needless to say i didn’t get anywhere NEAR my 10,000 steps on my fitbit!) the mishap caused me to be way irritable and grouchy. and, wouldn’t you know it, when i am irritable, i think eating is a great idea. so i have been a food monster all day. aside from my main meals, random snacks have included a banana with peanut butter, rice cakes with sunflower seed butter, zillions of clementines, and i just polished off some of the best hummus ever (paired with carrots and celery.)

IMG 4263IMG 4264

and.. whoops.. may have had a chunk of almond toffee while waiting for dinner to cook!

IMG 4267

that stuff is delicious, melts in your mouth, and is still hanging around from christmas. luckily it’s almost gone.. it’s not doing me any favors in my optimal health challenge! (which, by the way, i will fill ya in on when i am not such a grump.)

like i said, dinner is cooking. it’s 8:30 which is typical for us–we eat dinner late! the top two contenders for dinner:

IMG 4266

mmm.. bacon and eggs. we have been having this once a week for the past few months. i used to not be a huge bacon fan, i like it in things like salads or BLTs, but marshall has slowly converted me to eat it by itself and i’m hooked. this is our first time trying the 40% less fat version.. i am skeptical, but we will see if it stands up to our favorite: applegate farms sunday bacon. that kind is the best!

okay, i am gonna go make some over easy eggs and try to get some shut eye. hopefully i will wake up on the better side of the bed and have zero tragedies tomorrow!

1. what is one of your most embarrassing moments?

2. what was your last injury–big or small?

Yana January 9, 2013 at 10:14 am

Sorry about your treadmill mishap :( I fell off a treadmill once when also doing sprints at 8.5mph. I was at the small gym in my office building trying to catch the facility guy’s attention to ask him where all the weights have disappeared and then I was on the floor. Both elbows skinned, but otherwise I was fine. I was more scared afterwords that it could be much worse at that speed.

That wasn’t my most embarrassing moment, though. That would be when I tried to walk through a glass wall of a conference room thinking it was the door while my whole group was sitting there waiting for a meeting to start.

I constantly cut myself while using my very sharp knives. The last time was several weeks ago.

Hope you feel better soon. Also, comforting yourself with food when you really need it is just fine IMHO.

Heather @ Better With Veggies January 9, 2013 at 10:27 am

Oh girl, I am laughing a little at you, but also feel so bad that you got hurt. I know how much you love running and I’m guessing this isn’t going to help the situation. :)

Janetha January 9, 2013 at 11:38 am

Ahahah.. I am hoping that was sarcastic? Since I despise running with a passion?

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige January 9, 2013 at 10:30 am

Gah! You poor thing – I’d have been scared out of my mind. And it totally sounds like something I would do. *hugs* <3

Marie January 9, 2013 at 11:14 am

Ouch! Stuff like this is usually funny, but I was wincing the whole time I was reading instead of laughing and that was BEFORE you showed us the pictures! I hope it heals quickly!

Nathan surprised me with a FitBit and I wasn’t sure what to think at first but I love it now! :) The days I do cardio, it really rocks, but the days I do BodyPump, my steps are really lacking. :)

Feel better soon!

cathy January 9, 2013 at 12:36 pm

At the Warrior Dash I got all the way to the top of the rope climbing wall and my foot slipped, so I slammed down and skidded all the way down to the bottom. Skinned everything and got a HUGE bruise on my thigh. But I still finished! :)
What are barbell skull crushers?

Janetha January 9, 2013 at 3:29 pm

These.. but with a barbell instead of dumbbell :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMW9PG-1_ZU

cathy January 10, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Oh I’ve done those before. Cool Thanks!!

Jen Grimm January 9, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Ouch…that looks terrible! I hope it feels better today! At least you had healthy snacks between your meals! I have never heard of low-fat bacon that isn’t turkey…was it good?

Janetha January 9, 2013 at 3:29 pm

It was DELICIOUS. 30 cals a slice. So yummy. I don’t like turkey bacon, it’s kinda rubbery. This was like real bacon.

Jessy January 9, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Moral of the story? Don’t run on the treadmill. ;)

Janetha January 9, 2013 at 3:28 pm

amen.

Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 9, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Ouch! You poor thing! That sounds so painful…I probably would’ve laughed my ass off at myself but been crying on the inside from the pain.

Melissa January 9, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I can’t laugh, while I’ve never fallen on a treadmill, i’ve always thought I would, especially since I can’t walk or run in a perfect straight line.

One of my most embarrassing moments was not having a bathroom on a run and getting spotted with my pants down!

My latest injury is the ugly 2nd degree burn from Christmas on my arm from braising liquid

candice s January 9, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I’ve done sprints like that, and have come so close so many times. You didn’t complain once last night about your injuries while you lifted mad weight. Thanks for sharing, I laugh and cry with you.

Now you can laugh and cry with me. I was speaking in church and had a runny nose. I reached up to dab it with my hand, and when I pulled my hand away, attached to it was a long slimy string of snot. I quickly covered my nose and stood there. There was no tissue at the pulpit, so someone had to walk out of the chapel to get me a tissue. All while I stood there covering my snot dripping nose.

Sophie January 9, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I think my best gym-stack-embarrassing-moment-ever was the time I was on a rowing machine and my trainer said to play the “fish game”. It’s a game where you speed up or slow down your rowing and a little fish on the screen rises or falls and avoids the oncoming sharks. I’m a little competitive at the best of times and as per usual I wanted to win this game. My head was so focused on missing the sharks and when I thought one was going to get me I jumped my body off the rower seat and pushed back hard with my legs and when I came down again my butt slammed down on the bar and I slid off to the side and just lay next to the machine… my feet were still strapped in as well…I looked ridiculous…my trainer couldn’t believe I had actually fallen off a rowing machine, I mean who falls off rowing machines? Apparently I do.

Give me a barbell any day…these machines are mean.

Neil January 9, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Sophie – don’t feel bad, people get bucked off the rowers quite freq. Done it a few times myself. haha.

Neil January 9, 2013 at 5:46 pm

HOLY CRAP. Those hurt so bad. They looks so benign and innocuous, at first, but they last for days (weeks even). Dammit. So, sorry dear. That is ROUGH! Hey, try that hand fixer stuff you left at the gym. If it will help a hand rip, it HAS to be able to help that Road Rash.

Karey @ Nutty About Health January 9, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Ouch! Hope your injuries are feeling a tab bit better by now. I always hated treadmills… another reason to stay far away! ;)

Danica @ It's Progression January 9, 2013 at 6:28 pm

so sorry you fell!! I’ve been *this close* to wiping out on the treadmill SO many times and usually it’s because my mind is off in dreamworld and I end up running too close to the front, step on/knick the front plastic bar, and then almost lose it completely.

BroccoliHut January 9, 2013 at 6:50 pm

I actually once had a treadmill tragedy too. My parents had just bought a new treadmill (I was about 8). My sisters had to babysit me one night and decided it would be really fun for me to try the treadmill…you know where this is going. They amped up the speed to 10mph and I went flying and landed on our air hockey table. It was ugly.
My most recent injury was also pretty embarrassing. While at my parents’ house for Christmas I decided to go get my laundry from the dryer at 12AM, without turning on any lights. I forgot that they have a baby/dog gate separating the laundry room to the rest of the house…yeah, i totally ate it and scraped up my knee pretty bad.

Erica D January 9, 2013 at 7:25 pm

I had a treadmill mishap like that when I was in elementary school. I fell off while it was going super fast (I was being dared by boys…typical) and managed to get a scrape the size of the one on your elbow right next to my eye! In hindsight, I’m lucky that the belt didn’t hit my eye itself. I didn’t touch a treadmill until college!

Pam January 9, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Hope you feel better soon – that sucks! Im a fidgety runner so don’t run on treadmills but once at the gym I saw a girl fall on one and it was basically up against the wall, so when she fell she got slammed against the wall and then was thrown back onto the belt before it slamming her into the wall again until the person next to her could hit the shut off button. She was ok but everyone in the cardio room was traumatized!

lynn @ the actor's diet January 9, 2013 at 9:34 pm

OUCH! i haven’t been on the treadmill in years; have always been scared of it! also – i just made bacon for the first time in years. god, i sound like such a little kid in this comment…

Ellen M. Gregg January 10, 2013 at 4:30 am

Eek! I don’t think I would have been embarrassed so much as concerned I wouldn’t have any skin left on my knee and elbow. Hope both are healing up fast. :-)

Last injury? I scraped a couple knuckles on my right hand, which was a pain and a pain, because I’m right-handed; not using my hand wasn’t an option.

You want embarrassing? ;-) http://ellenmgregg.com/2011/passedandpast/

Deb January 26, 2013 at 4:51 pm

My heart still hurts over this. Plus the description of the right knee and the left elbow…how does that even happen??! Poor you. Not even one bit funny.

Janetha January 26, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Hahaha I know. I was legit twisted like a pretzel! You would have died laughing.