the next six weeks: GPP OHC.

by Janetha on January 3, 2013

in goals

hello and happy thursday, january 3rd to you!

not only is it the beginning of a new month, it is also the beginning of a new year. new beginnings are very powerful for many. sure, it’s just another thursday to some, but several people see the new year as a clean slate, a chance to make changes in their lives, and a fresh start!

i am one of those people who see the start of 2013 as an opportunity to make the most of my life. not that i wasn’t trying to do that already—i just see the new year as a little push to focus more on what i was already aiming for.

i have been reading about several different new year challenges and programs many of you are doing. i am personally going to be dabbling in a few!

for one, i will be joining momma b, my sister, and my brother in law in the fitmixer bootcamp, which starts january 14th.. i am not doing the bootcamp by-the-book this time around, but i will be participating in some aspects of it!

i am also going to play along with the pv.body 30 day challenge, which is a month of daily challenges to help kick start a fit & fabulous year. again, i won’t be doing every day, but i will pick and choose the days that fit in with my schedule and goals.

(click each of those links to learn more about what those two challenges are and how to join!)

of course my gym, GPP, is offering us an awesome challenge for the new year. i knew they would have something up their sleeve, i just didn’t realize how comprehensive it would be. i am seriously stoked for the next six weeks.

blank (1)

GPP’s optimal health challenge is a six-week program that focuses on three things:

instead of being given very specific workouts and a dictated nutrition plan, each week we will use the challenge to learn. we will learn about fitness & nutrition and how each lesson relates directly to our own lives—since we are ALL different and we ALL need very different combinations of diet & exercise in order to achieve optimal health.

each saturday we will attend a meeting at GPP headquarters. in the meeting, we will be issued a week-long fitness challenge and a week-long nutrition challenge. we will also be given lifestyle assignments, such as expressing things we are grateful for on the GPP site. the cool part about the weekly meetings is that it’s actually like class—we will be learning valuable information to propel us through the year (and through the rest of our lives!)

the lessons will teach us a lot about why we work out the way we do. we will learn the skills to perfect our movements—from squats to cleans to curls and everything in between. we will learn why we sometimes do strict movements and other times use our bodies to get the rep completed (such as strict pullups vs kipping pullups or strict pushups vs snaking pushups) and the benefits of each technique. we will be given nutritional information and be instructed how to apply it to our individual lives in order to achieve optimal health.

for those who aren’t local, they will be filming the meetings and sending the assignments out each week via email. we have a lot of remote participants already! note–this is NOT a weight loss challenge. it is a program designed to discover more about my body, my health, my fitness, and how i can combine various methods to be the best me i can be.

as you can tell, i am super stoked on this new challenge. it’s a totally different approach than i have ever taken. usually i do challenges that dictate things more specifically, but they never really elaborate on the why or how those things are determined. yes, i learn through experience, but no challenge has been geared specifically to inform.

if you are interested in the long version of the challenge explanation or are thinking of joining us, click here to watch the 15-minute orientation video. if you decide to do OHC, let me know and we can do it together. i know candice and momma b are both already on board!

that’s all for tonight—i have a husband to feed and some pups to walk (in the frigid temps!) have a great night! already friday tomorrow, yay!

1. are you doing any challenges or programs for the new year?

2. do you see a new year as a symbolic “clean slate” or is it just another day, week, month for you?

*FYI: i am not employed nor compensated by GPP. i wrote this post because i blog about my life and what i am doing with it. i paid $75 to participate in OHC and will be blogging about it sporadically, but not entirely since it is a paid program and would not be fair to paying participants if i blogged everything the program offers.

Kelsey M January 3, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I am excited to learn along with you on the GPP challenge!

Brooke @ Being Vivacious January 3, 2013 at 7:26 pm

I love the concept of using the challenges to learn about yourself personally. It is so easy to look at what other people do as their health regimens and think, oh gosh, being “healthy” is just not something I’m capable of. Obviously this is not true no matter who you are, it’s all about learning what works for you. This program sounds fantastic. Good luck with it!!

Momma b January 3, 2013 at 7:46 pm

In excited to be on board with Fitmixer boot camp AND GPP OHC! There is so much to learn and I love becoming more fit in all aspects of my life.

The new year is a time when I reflect on things I can improve on. I’m not a real goal setter but I try hard to improve who i am and what im
doing almost on a daily or weekly basis.

Life is so awesome and I’m reminded how short it can be….so pack in all the good things to be the happiest and healthiest you can be!!

I love you and how you keep me motivated…thanks!!

xo

Sue January 4, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I love your relationship! My mom and I are super close, but we now live over 1,000 miles from each other. You guys are so lucky to live so close to each other.

Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills January 3, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I always see the new year as a clean slate. I love being able to set goals and the new year gives me a reason to!

Yana January 4, 2013 at 12:47 am

I am doing the challenge remotely from SF Bay Area, and am absolutely exited about this journey. After watching the orientation video late on Jan 1, I was going back and forth on whether I am up for such a commitment. And then I realized that I really, really want to do this. It’s such a great opportunity to be able to tap into the expertise of the GPP staff and find out what works for me and what doesn’t. Looking forward to sharing this experience with other GPPers all of whom I consider my heroes.

lindsay January 4, 2013 at 6:00 am

i like the idea of weekly challenges! much better. I am so ADD so this would be right up my alley.

Lauren January 4, 2013 at 6:02 am

I really am loving the approach that GPP offers. I wish we had something like that around here, but I’m going to keep an eye out for it in Chicago. Would love a new fitness challenge! Happy New Year to you girl!

Linz @ Itz Linz January 4, 2013 at 6:25 am

i just posted today on how i don’t really set resolutions… i just like to continue making healthy choices because that’s what makes me feel (and look!) good!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 4, 2013 at 7:14 am

I like the idea of having a challenge revolve around making better choices and learning more about what works best for your body, as opposed to a strictly weight loss or diet program. Sounds like you’ll learn a lot!

Biz January 4, 2013 at 9:25 am

My only goal for this year is moderation – it seems every year I set up these lofty goals and if I slip up even for a second, I throw in the towel and it takes me so long to get back on track.

Not anymore – just trying to make each day as good as I can!

Happy New Year Janetha!

Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome January 4, 2013 at 10:09 am

I’m so jealous of your GPP gym! You are always doing such awesome challenges and workouts. Wish there was one in my area! I’m participating in Fitmixer again as well. I will probably be doing it pretty similar to how you are with just doing some aspects of it. Love it!

Nicole C January 4, 2013 at 10:15 am

The GPP thing sounds really intriguing! Like a large extension of Fitmixer with learning about yourself. Sounds like something I could really benefit from yet also scares me :)

Stephanie January 4, 2013 at 10:44 am

Have you heard of Whole30? It’s paleo, which you said you could never do. But I’m doing it because paleo works for me. There was a group starting on the 1st but I’m waiting until after my 30th birthday (which is Wednesday) to start. I always start my resolutions the day after my birthday since it’s so close to the New Year. This gives me more time to think about what I want to resolve.

Janetha January 4, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I have! Lots of people I know are doing or have done it. That’s so great that you have found something that works for you and your body! Oh, and happy early birthday! I am an 83 baby, too :)

Annette@FitnessPerks January 4, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Great idea! I love learning new things–especially about fitness & health :) Great idea GPP!

purelymichelle January 4, 2013 at 1:49 pm

currently Lori and I are about to start a new health journey to heal our gut once and for all…hopefully!
best of luck with your goals!!

Janetha January 4, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I looooved your post about all that. SO informative!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva January 6, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Oh this is great…I’ll definitely be looking to join. I’m a girl that loves to learn :)

amanda j January 8, 2013 at 9:11 pm

i’m a little late in catching up here, but (thanks to your blog!) i just asked for a fitbit for my birthday (this sat, jan 13) and my mom bought me one! i’m really excited to use it to learn more about my “actual” level of fitness (current) and develop some fun new goals, and ways, to incorporate movement into my day.