weekend recap.

by Janetha on April 1, 2012

in Uncategorized

i am super stoked that you all have your adventure pants on for adventurous april! it will be fun to see what new things you do and what you learn about yourself. maybe you will find something you love.. or something you hate.. but at least you will be able to say you took a chance. a few entries have already rolled in! keep them coming. for more info, check out the official instructions.

this weekend has been fun. i have been trying to fight off some sort of sickness that started as a tickle in my throat on thursday morning. it still is just a sore throat and it better not turn into anything worse! of course, i took that sore throat as an open invitation to skip the gym a couple days in a row.. wouldn’t want to exert myself, right? right.

when saturday rolled around, i decided i should probably do something with myself. i headed to gold’s for a chest + abs workout, but skipped the cardio. i am pretty horrible at cardio lately. i just hate it so much!  after the gym i quickly cleaned up and headed to lindsay’s house for our friend summer’s baby shower. she’s due next month!

IMG 0111

the shower decor was cute and the brunch spread was delicious.

IMG 0097IMG 0099IMG 0076

banana bread topped with cream cheese, fruit with dip, monkey bread, mini quiches, and mimosas to drink.

IMG 0077IMG 0117

once everyone arrived, we started playing the obligatory shower games. i usually dread baby shower games (who wants to guess what kind of melted candy bar is resembling poop in a diaper?!) but my friends actually found a couple of fun, new games to play.

for the first game, we broke into small groups. each group was given a photo of summer and her husband, a pair of scissors, and a glue stick. we had to cut out parts of each of their faces and piece together a hybrid face which would look exactly like their baby. so random, so hilarious.

IMG 0125

here was our creation:

IMG 0127

and the winner, which summer hand-picked:

IMG 0128

the other game we played was tied to the gift opening process. we each had a necklace with three pink clothes pins.

IMG 0108IMG 0130

any time someone said the word “cute” and was called out by another person, the caller-outer got to take one of the offender’s pins. the person with the most pins at the end of the gift opening won.  this led to people calling the gifts things like “adorable”, “lovely”, and finally we just resorted to “that’s just great!”. it was pretty hilarious.

IMG 0135

i guess i have a heart of stone, because i was the winner! the only time i DID say cute was when kristen was telling me how she wraps her puppy up in a hooded baby towel. oh my gosh, THAT is so cute!

the shower was fun, and i am not even lying (i usually am not a fan of baby showers!) it was great to see all my friends and help summer get ready for her first baby.

later in the day i headed to trolley square. i am LOVING all the blossoms blooming, by the way.

IMG 0138

i had been meaning to take a trip to the new lululemon store since it opened nearly two months ago. i’d been saving my pennies to make a purchase! before yesterday, i didn’t own a single stitch of lululemon gear.. i am pretty cheap and buy 87% of my workout gear at tj maxx or ross.

IMG 0140
IMG 0144IMG 0149IMG 0147

i knew i wanted a pair of wunder under crops and i also had my eye on the practice freely tank ever since seeing a few ladies at my gym sporting it. the color i wanted wasn’t there, but i ended up getting a turquoise one.

NewImageNewImage
(images from lululemon.com)

it should be noted that the “crop” pants actually go down to my ankles. yep, i am a shorty at 5’1″. that’s why i didn’t go with the pants.. i don’t like messing with hemming when i don’t have to (even though it is free.. i am lazy.)

whole foods was just next door, so i took advantage of the situation. i wandered over and piled myself a plate from the salad bar.

IMG 0152

it’s kind of weird that they have reusable plates but only disposable forks. these are the things that go through my mind when eating alone.

after eating, i grabbed a few things from the market section. just essentials like chobani (on sale for a buck!), almond milk, apples, and countertop cleaner. i also picked up a container of natural calm thanks to some of your suggestions. maybe it will help my gut?

saturday had an unexpected turn of events when marshall told me he locked his keys in his car at the golf course… up in layton. that was about 40 miles from where i was, but luckily our house (and his spare key) was on the way. i zipped up there and saved the day. or at least his day.

the rest of saturday wasn’t too exciting. it included a trip to the grocery store, a car wash (which was pointless since it snowed today), and a whole lot of lounging. after being on the go all day, all i wanted to do was relax. we made ravioli for dinner and had popsicles for dessert. i also had a peanut butter chocolate protein shake as a second dessert. that pesky sweet tooth of mine is really acting up lately!

for some reason i couldn’t sleep in today. i woke up at 8:30 and tried to go back to bed but couldn’t. i took advantage of my morning like any normal person would and caught up on all my turns on draw something (an iPhone game.) i eventually rolled out of bed, but didn’t make it far.. just to my kitchen table where i drank tea to soothe my throat while catching up on blog reading.

hunger kicked in around 10:30, so i made some breakfast that was both sweet and savory–the best of both worlds.

IMG 0166

for the savory, i used my leftovers from friday night’s chipotle burrito bowl. i put the leftovers in a skillet with a little butter and got them nice and warm.

IMG 0158

i poured a cup of egg whites over the chipotle ingredients and scrambled them all together.

IMG 0159

i topped the chipotlEGGS with some chobani and homemade salsa. this was the best leftover idea ever. it was so tasty!

IMG 0168

for the sweet side of things, i toasted a blueberry bagel and topped it with strawberry cream cheese.  simple and satisfying.

IMG 0169

i lollygagged for a good hour and a half before doing anything else with myself. i needed to fold laundry (my most hated chore) and clean the bathrooms and kitchen.. that didn’t sound very fun, so i decided to go to the gym first.

i was feeling pretty lazy, but i am glad i still managed to get a workout in. i did three sets of each move before moving onto the next:

• single leg kettlebell deadlift – 12 reps each leg @ 30#
  • standing side crunches – 15 reps each side @ 30#
  • below parallel squats holding kettlebell while standing on bosu ball – 12 reps @ 30#
  • laying leg curl – 12 reps @ 50#
  • calf press on 45 degree leg press machine – 15 reps @ 135#
  • leg press on 45 degree leg press machine – 12 reps @ 225# (alternating foot placement each time: high, middle, low)
  • donkey kicks – 20 reps each side

i finished with stretching and 30 minutes on the bike. it was a half-assed workout, but it was a workout nonetheless.

after the gym i made my usual sunday costco run and managed to keep it under $100! that never happens. it’s probably a good thing, though, because i also accidentally stopped at ross and tj maxx and spent a little too much money on a couple workout tops and some beautiful oven-safe bowls. and a hair brush. oh and a mug. and an airtight container. ohh.. and some silicone cupcake liners. i promise that is ALL i got, though.

i came home and got to work on a kitchen experiment i had been dreaming up for awhile now. i actually used the silicone liners for this project and they worked perfectly! i made up a recipe for lemon coconut no bake protein cheesecake. yeah, that’s a mouthful.

IMG 0216

they are chilling in the fridge now.. not sure if the recipe is going to turn out. fingers crossed! if it does, i will be sure to share it. the stats are great: 115 calories, 10g protein, 6g carbs, 5g fat per cheesecake.

i snacked my life away while in the kitchen making these cheesecakes. snacks included hunks of sprouted baguette with butter, pb&j rice cakes, cottage cheese, peppered turkey slices with hot mustard, a million licks of the cheesecake batter, and lots of the coconut cookies i used for the cheesecake crust that “oops!” broke and couldn’t be used. yeah.  i cannot be trusted when alone in the kitchen.

marshall is at the movies right now and i am hoping to work up an appetite before he comes home and wants dinner. tonight’s menu steak, roasted potatoes, and steamed broccoli. it sounds delicious so i better get hungry quick!

i am going to hit publish now.. there are six more hours left in the day and i plan to use each and every one of them relaxing. that laundry folding can wait til tomorrow, right?

hope you had a great weekend!

kathleen @ the daily crumb April 1, 2012 at 6:43 pm

i certainly hope we see the recipe soon!! have a great week, lady!

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl April 1, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I am crossing my fingers this lemon coconut no bake protein cheesecake works out and I get the recipe. Two, I love that top. Saw Jess wearing a similar black one. Nice purchase. Did it really break the bank? I hear that about Lululemon. ;)

Janetha April 1, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Well, it was $60.. BUT, it is a sports bra and tank top in one, so that was my rationale.. hehe

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl April 1, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Well, its super cute. And looks like its made of quality. it will last. Ya… I’d say it was a smart investment. ;)

Carly April 1, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I usually dread shower games so so much. Your friends didn’t sound so bad.

I just downloaded that draw something game, but I don’t really know how to find people to play with! I’m learning it is tough as heck to draw on the iPhone too.

Josie April 1, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Haha, I hate the baby-poop game too….but that face game is hysterical! I always LOSE the clothespin game. Your chipotleggs remind me of a dish my mom used to make when we were kids. She called it “conglomeration”. :o)

momma b. April 1, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Yes relax so I feel better about my sluggish oops I mean my relaxing day! I keep thinking about heading to the gym….

Sounds like your TJ and Ross stops were fun—quick hide your kitchen finds :)

Hope the cheesecakes are yummy.

xo

Betty April 1, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I really like that octopus mug!

Michelle (Better with Berries) April 1, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I can’t wait for that recipe – sound delicious!

I love any type of shower – I love seeing all my friends and family and there is usually good food :-) Love that game where you cut out pictures to make “baby faces” – so CUTE!!! :-)

Danielle @WorkItWearItEatIt April 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I have both of those Lulu items! Prepare for addiction to set in….

Catherine @ Rabbit Food For My Bunny Teeth April 1, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I saw your post on twitter and am eagerly awaiting your lemon coconut no bake protein cheesecake! Can’t wait!

sherice@foodieluvsfitness April 1, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I really want some LuLulemon gear too.. I’ve heard it’s worth every pretty penny! I hope your cheesecakes turn out too because Cheesecake anything is my weakness.. were did you get your cupcake molds… I want some. can you get them in mini size?

Sana April 1, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Yeahhh, the crops are like pants on me as well. Too lazy to do anything about it.

Averie @ Averie Cooks April 1, 2012 at 9:41 pm

coconut no bake protein cheesecake would be RIGHT up my alley…well, any cheesecake is :)

The lululemon, the trip to WFs, the shower, yes, a stellar weekend for you!

KaraHadley April 2, 2012 at 12:56 am

i’ve never been to a baby shower, but i think the idea of staring at something that is pretending to be poop is weird. and i’ve never even been in a lululemon and probably won’t. i have this thing about not wanting to spend too much money on clothes will be absolutely get smelly and that i only wear at a place that i am most definitely not trying to pick up a date.

Sierra April 2, 2012 at 1:01 am

Um, let’s hope those babies work out, they sound delicious.

I may have something in the works for Adventurous April. I am just working out the details, but it’s definitely something outside of my comfort zone. As soon as I get it confirmed, I will add the party.

Erica April 2, 2012 at 2:42 am

Glad you had fun at the shower! The picture game looks totally hilarious! You’re such a good wife for bailing Marshall out! Im always so afraid I’m going to lock my keys in the car. I want those crop pants and the top. I own no lululemon. Can’t wait to hear if the cheesecake works out

Lauren April 2, 2012 at 4:52 am

Baby showers are always fun. And they always seem to have the best food. :)

Glad it was a good weekend hun!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes April 2, 2012 at 5:23 am

Sounds like an awesome weekend! I love that white and blue mug! So coool :)

Calee April 2, 2012 at 6:13 am

The crop pants sound about right. I am ALL leg (the BF is 6’1″ — a foot taller than me, and our legs are the same length), so pants usually fit somewhat normally on me.

But you did remind me of a time in college where I wore some VS Pink sweats to class and this girl who I didn’t particularly like (probably because she would never wear sweats to class) said, “Oh man. I can’t believe you’re wearing those sweatpants like that.”

Which I took to mean, “OMG how could you look so gross coming to class?”

But she really meant, “I used to work at VS and those are definitely crop pants.”

I had no idea they were supposed to be short.

Jessica April 2, 2012 at 6:35 am

I have also been a cardio hater lately. Actually an overall gym hater. I need to get it together! And I have the exact opposite problem with pants, I’m almost 5’9 so most pants make me look like I’m headed for a flood.

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile April 2, 2012 at 7:16 am

I am dying for a pair of those pants. I’m super tall, so I usually have a problem with pants being too short! Those protein bites look amaaazing.

Alta April 2, 2012 at 7:33 am

Loving that ChipotEggs idea! Looks delish. And I totally love the new workout top. I think I need one!

Kelly @ No Sugar Sweet Life April 2, 2012 at 8:56 am

HAHAHA… those face pics were tooooo funny! What a great idea!! PS. I’m also glad to hear you shop at Ross & TJ Maxx for workout gear :)

the delicate place April 2, 2012 at 9:27 am

babiez. ::misa fail:: oh wow that spread is very easter-y! lol! winner of shower games? you know what is hilarious? me being in 1st place for our march madness bracket at work. i have never watched a bball game in entirety before!

we had opposite sleep issues this weekend, i know you can sleep in like a dream! i was the late sleeper this weekend for the first time in MONTHS. i was shocked but i guess i was super tired? all this to say, i really really liked sleeping in.

hahaha your laundry folding sounds like my disdain for bathroom cleaning. i put out all the cleaning items yesterday afternoon and at 930 last night nate was like i’ll go do it to which i replied. let’s just do it after work tomorrow ;) let’s see if the bathroom gets cleaned or if i put it off again lol.

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife April 2, 2012 at 11:44 am

One day I will get something lululemon…… but for now, I love Target and Gap and some TJ maxx stuff–holds over pretty well. Plus, Nordstrom Rack has some great workout gear too (for great prices. promise). see you soon!!! :)

Amy April 2, 2012 at 11:54 am

thats so funny you posted on a baby shower bc my friend and i are in the middle of planning one and were just talking about shower games this morning. ive never heard of the picture one u guys did but thats so funny!! we may have to try that one out!

Kait April 2, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I popped my Chipotle cherry this weekend! I couldn’t remember which blogger was obsessed so I’m SUPER happy you posted this.

And yes…it was lifechanging. Although I think Mama Pea’s guac gives theirs a run for its money…just saying. ;)

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness April 2, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I despise games played at bridal and baby showers, for both of mine, I banned all games. All I wanted was a couple of hours to hang out with friends and family, eat good food and open gifts. I wish all showers were like that :)

Jill April 2, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Great idea for the breakfast scramble, they’re the best type of breakfast! I just had my first Chipolte meal last month, and it was pretty tasty! I love how fresh everything was.

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes April 2, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Guts update please! How are things going with that? Did you get to go see that new Dr yet? Fill us in! :)

Janetha April 2, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Friday’s post :)

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva April 2, 2012 at 9:34 pm

You are one strong gal!!! I’m so weak when it comes to lying leg curls. I have it on like 10kg (which is about 22lbs) and still fatigue at ten reps haha. But I’m not really fussed…being active is all that counts and eventually I’ll get stronger. On phase 3 of livefit and it’s totally kicking my butt! I have to take lots of rest to recuperate…did you get mega sore as well?

Janetha April 2, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Yesss always so sore!

Katy A April 3, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I’m 5’1″ also! High five to shorties!… Or in our case low fives! ;-)
PS. I love your dogs!!

Kalyn April 3, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Whole Foods and Lululemon all in one day? Lucky (and possibly broke!) lady, you are. Also, drooling over your leftover Chipotle + egg combo. Best. Idea. EVER.