flashback friday: tahoe round three.

by Janetha on August 19, 2011

in love and marriage,travel

i know i went to tahoe a month ago—but there are only so many fridays to flashback!

today i am going to talk about our third day in tahoe—saturday, july 16th.

we woke up bright and early and i drank a protein shake since we were on the go.

marshall and i hopped on our bikes and pedaled to the spa!

image image

we had a lovely couples massage. we only get massages when we are on vacation, so this was a real treat. although i do need to start getting them more often.. massages are amazing!

after our massages, we rode back to holly’s place where we were greeted by our pups who were gallivanting around the grounds.

IMG_1029 IMG_1024 IMG_1021

since we hadn’t had a proper meal, we were super hungry! we headed to the highly recommended natural foods cafe & juice bar, sprouts.

the mostly vegan, all vegetarian menu was extensive and it took me awhile to pick!  i started with coffee and fresh squeezed orange juice..

..and chose the breakfast special for my meal.

open faced toasted bagel topped with avocado, tomato, red onion, monterey jack cheese, egg salad (made with nonfat yogurt), sprouts, salsa, guacamole and green onions.

that’s right.. avocado AND guacamole. they don’t mess around! this tasted amazing—but the portions were huge and i only ate half.

marshall got the breakfast burrito, which was delicious!! again, huge portion and he couldn’t even kill this whole plate.

we snagged a bagel with sliced bananas and apples to go—we were about to head out on a hike.

the pups were with us at the cafe. love that! tahoe is so dog-friendly.

IMG_1035IMG_1047 IMG_1040

we drove up a canyon a ways and started our hike to echo lakes.

we checked out the map, registered our names and took note of the warning signs.

IMG_8221IMG_8223IMG_8226IMG_8227

we headed to the trailhead, but there was a metal grate walkway that penny would NOT cross.

randy was a trooper, though, and crossed on his own.

the sights were incredible! i will let the photos do the talking.

IMG_1064 IMG_1072  IMG_1076 IMG_1094IMG_1103IMG_1132 IMG_1090 IMG_1092 IMG_1116 IMG_1121

gorgeous. we turned around back toward the car after taking in all the beauty.

IMG_8255IMG_8229IMG_8234IMG_8237IMG_8246

we checked the map out on our way back to see how far we’d hiked. it was about five miles round trip! that is a lot for a randy dog.

IMG_8248IMG_8250

back to the grate.. back to marshall carrying penny.

but randy did it on his own again. such a brave guy.

back to the car!

it was so funny—everyone we passed had something to say about randy and his ability to hike. poor guy with his little, short legs. he sure gets picked on! but he was a trooper!

when we got back to the car after the 5 mile round trip hike, the pups were POOPED!

we went back to our room and relaxed for a bit, cleaned up and went to town.  we did some shopping and grabbed some coffee.

we felt like italian food, so we yelped it up and came across a restaurant called capisce? –i had no idea that is how you spell the word that i always spelled “kapeesh”.  haha, you learn something new every day!

we had bruschetta to start—it was one of the better bruschettas i have had in my day. super garlicky.

i had a salad topped with grilled chicken, berries and goat cheese.

super good.

i have no idea what we did after dinner because i have no photos and i really have no memory! but i bet we ate ice cream. in fact, i am sure we did.

tune in next time for day four—our first wedding anniversary!

jessiker August 19, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Hahaha this reminded me of when you tried to take Randy for a run. Remember down the frontage road, and he just stopped dead in his tracks and almost killed you. Haha so funny. He’s improving on his physical fitness I can see :) Miss you xoxo

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 19, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I’ll trade you Randy for Henry anyday!

Jen August 19, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Gorgeous pictures!!!! Apparently I went to Tahoe as a kid, but I have no recollection.

Mary (A Merry Life) August 19, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I’m so proud of Randy!!!! :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 19, 2011 at 3:45 pm

Tahoe… I love it up there. And need to go back, soon!

Have fun at HLS!!!!!!! :)

Lisa August 19, 2011 at 3:52 pm

:) I am so jealous of that whole day y’all had! I think I’m going to convince my hubby we need to go hiking NOW!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 19, 2011 at 4:05 pm

That hike looks so gorgeous! Major props to the dogs for getting a good workout in as well! :)

Laurie M. August 19, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Never been to Lake Tahoe.. Looks beautiful!

Heather Blackmon August 19, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Those bagels look amazing – I’ll have to recreate that one at home, wow!

BroccoliHut August 19, 2011 at 9:37 pm

OMG I think I will be dreaming about that bagel!!

Bianca August 19, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Thanks for sharing your trip. The vegan restaurant sounds amazing! The dishes you ordered were so colorful. Maybe I’ll suggest a weekend like this to my boyfriend.

Lea @ Healthy Coconut August 20, 2011 at 10:50 am

I love travel and outdoorsy pictures. We just came back from Mammoth too this past weekend and I am doing recaps on my blog. It’s so beautiful out there, it’s so amazing that a 5 hour drive away from L.A. exists a whole different world of just pure nature.

Tahoe looks even prettier. I want to go there too. I will have to look back at these posts for info on lodging and etc when we plan a trip there.

I hope there’s good fishing in Tahoe though, Chris loves to fish all.the.time.

Holly August 20, 2011 at 11:41 am

OMG- is there any way you can send me the full size photo of Randy running up hill with his tongue out??? I think my Dad would die if he saw that photo. Randy is just too stinkin’ cute, I can’t take it! I mean, they both are so stinkin’ cute, but just seeing a basset hound running up hill while hiking is one of the best things I have seen in a while! :) NO wonder you got so many comments about him hiking- like you said, he’s quite a trooper :D

Lauren August 20, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Looks like you had a fun and beautiful vacation! Such gorgeous pictures….wish I had gone on vacation this summer! Instead of vacation we moved. Not quite the same thing, huh?! :D

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife August 20, 2011 at 1:33 pm

awww looks SO fun and beautiful! Wow, great job on the photos!