flashback friday: i left my heart in tahoe.

by Janetha on July 29, 2011

in dogs,eating out,travel

YOU GUYS! I MISS BLOGGING!

don’t get me wrong, invoicing 198 winning bidders, collecting over $26k and matching up buyers to sellers is fun and all.. but i definitely miss my daily blog posting and reading. like you wouldn’t believe!

with the amazing help of morgan, all TGFA auction invoices have now been sent out. if you think you won something and didn’t get an invoice, let me know.

a couple fun things..

also, a big huge congratulations to my favorite vegan momma around, mama pea, her book is now on shelves! go buy it!

i am not even going to bother catching you all up on my life lately. i will tell you that it’s been full of fundraising and family fun. my sister and her family headed back to california today :( it is always nice to see them when they visit utah each summer, but it is also sad to see them go. we will be heading to san diego in november to visit them.. cannot wait! (also, i would love to do a san diego blogger meet up!)

********************************************************

flashback friday: tahoe day 1.

remember how i went to tahoe back on july 14th for my first wedding anniversary? well, i have more than just instagram photos of the trip! i want to flash back and recap the highlights. i will be honest and say it is more for me than for you. i love looking back on past vacations!

marshall, penny, randy & i made the 585 mile drive on thursday the 14th.. leaving right around 8 AM.

IMG_0791 IMG_0775

it was a loooong drive, but seemed to go by fast.

IMG_0810 IMG_0808

we were happy when we finally arrived south lake tahoe!

we were staying at a dog-friendly resort called holly’s place. it was acres of fenced in land with tons of trees and plenty of space for the pups to roam freely.

IMG_1396 IMG_1387

we headed to the office and checked in. there were tons of little knickknacks all over the place. super cute!

IMG_0819IMG_0820

IMG_0822 IMG_1385

we were staying in “the king suite” which mean king size BED. you guys, this was rad! marshall and i hardly have any room in our queen bed at home because penny & randy are bed hogs. the king sized bed was a dream come true! the room had its own little patio, a kitchen area, a nice bathroom and a whole lot of purple. my favorite.

IMG_0816   IMG_0824 IMG_0851  IMG_0847

there were also some welcome bones for the dogs!

holly’s place had a community room with a full size kitchen, games, movies and other, uh, community-ish things.

IMG_0844 IMG_0833 IMG_0838

it was dinnertime when we finally got settled, so marshall & i left the pups to roam at holly’s and headed to a highly recommended restaurant called freshies. it was walking distance from where we were staying! or biking distance.. so we took our bikes.

there was a nip in the air, so we had coffee.

we sat on the upper deck that overlooked the lake. it was gorgeous!

everything on the menu was either local, organic, all natural or all of the above.

we ordered the “magic potato balls” for an appetizer. the name alone sold us.

Erik’s Croquettes or “magical potato balls”: Organic Russet potatoes, shredded then mixed with sour cream, garlic and cheddar, rolled and tempura fried.

they were tasty and the sauce was a spicy delight.

for my entree, i ordered a single fish taco (because it came highly recommended) along with a small order of the local’s favorite salad: the crunch.

Fish Tacos: Fresh and delicious Red Rock Cod on 2 corn tortillas with shredded cabbage, cheese and tomatoes.

Undeniably, The Local’s Favorite: The Crunch – Tender organic greens with organic carrots, tomatoes, celery, broccoli, red cabbage, two cheeses, almonds, sunflower seeds and roasted soybeans all with creamy basil dressing. Whew!’

this salad was AMAZING. i can see why it is the favorite. i can’t wait to re-create it!

after a delicious meal, we biked back to holly’s place where we were greeted by two whining pups. yes, penny & randy stood whining at the gate the whole time we were gone! little babies.

we cuddled up with them…

and with a pint of this…

and called it a night.

it was the perfect first day of our vacation.

that’s enough tahoe flashback for today. i will be sure to recap the more exciting days sometime soon!

********************************************************

even though this week was a short (4 day) work week for me, it has seemed to drag on FOREVER. i am super excited that it is finally the weekend! we are having a BBQ tonight with some friends, i am sleeping in until 2 PM tomorrow (not joking) and then the rest of the weekend will be filled with a whole lot of nothing. i absolutely, positively cannot wait to be lazy.

hope you all have a wonderful weekend, whatever you do!

1. have you ever taken your pets on vacation? where did you go?

2. what is the most exciting thing on your weekend agenda?

suki July 29, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I didn’t know they had a deck! We sat at the bar at Freshies when we were in Tahoe this past winter. Love the food there. :D

Joy (A Little Bit Fit) July 29, 2011 at 3:45 pm

First, awesome job on the fund-raising. $26k is no small feat!

1. No pets :(
2. I am helping a friend prepare for her first Zumba class, so I am excited to get in some extra booty-shaking!

Eden July 29, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Dude, you deserve a year of pure relaxtion after all that work! I wish I could sponser that!

Tahoe looked like too much fun. I used to go skiing there when I was younger.

Oh damn, I should start playing by the rules, huh?
ok, I currently dont have pets. And this weekend Deb and I might see a donkey! Thats like, one degree away from a PONY!!!!!!

PS I’m officially counting the days until my B day! And not because its my Bday ;)

Janetha July 29, 2011 at 5:29 pm

i cannot wait to see you! like CANNOT WAIT.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) July 30, 2011 at 12:14 am

EEEEEE!

Missy July 30, 2011 at 1:19 am

Is this an October meet up I am hearing? I am so jealous! :) All in love, though!

Janetha July 30, 2011 at 1:22 am

Come :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) July 30, 2011 at 12:14 am

Really? We’re seeing a donkey? I didn’t know. I better dress appropriately, whatever that is.

Janetha July 30, 2011 at 1:22 am

I’m thinking a burlap sack.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) July 30, 2011 at 11:58 am

Oh good, I just got a new one!

Erica July 29, 2011 at 3:52 pm

ahhhhhhhh! I just love that the pups went! The only time we’ve taken Frank with us on a vacation was to his parents house and my parents house. Such a cute resort idea. The dinner looks amazing- especially those magic potato balls. Have fun at the BBQ. I’m working on having a baby this weekend ;)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) July 29, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Magic potato balls?! Hell. Yes.

LauraJayne July 29, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I’ve been waiting for the Tahoe pictures – looks gorgeous and perfect for y’all! Belated anniversary congrats and have a great relaxed Utah weekend!

Janetha July 29, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Same to you! Brunch soon!

Hallie July 29, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Yeah San Diego meetup! I’m down :-)

Janetha July 29, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I was hoping you would be! It’ll be the first weekend in Nov :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal July 29, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I miss your blogging too!! But you’re doing amaaaazing things, girl:)
Tahoe looks like SO much fun. We brought Niko to a wedding one weekend, but only because we had to. We took shifts going to the room and playing with her!

Carrie@shrinkingcarriewww July 29, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Wow! That looked like a killer getaway! It makes me want to pack the car up and get out of town pronto!
We went camping a lot when I was younger and we always took our dogs with us. It is so much more fun with your whole family there with you!
I have a weekend full of nothing. My hub’s is working pretty much 24/7 so we’ll see if anything happens.

Janetha July 29, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I am glad you are one of the people that considers pets family <3

Stephanie @ extremebalance.net/blog July 29, 2011 at 5:40 pm

aww! There’s TOTALLY more than one news show in *all* of Canada, eh? ;)

I wish Ben and Jerry’s made more flavours in fro yo. Some prefer the texture of yogurt to ice cream, B&J—but who really cares when you’re in TAHOE!

Janetha July 29, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Yeah.. for sure! I just have no idea which station we were on haha.

Amanda July 29, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I want to meet up with you! Anytime you’re in CA.

“The sauce was a spicy delight” I LOLed.

I hope you get to enjoy some lazy time!

Heather July 29, 2011 at 6:48 pm

OMG, I LOVE this!! It would be SO nice if we could take our pups on vacation with us! I considered it for this year, but since it didn’t work out, most definitely next year. :)

Juliette July 29, 2011 at 7:07 pm

No pets on vaca ’cause I don’t have any. So sad.

Can’t wait to meet up with my girlfriend for some serioius catch up time & go for a hike:)

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 29, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Nice WORK on the fundraiser event!!!

I love that you all had ice cream to top off the night, we SO would’ve done the same thing :) Ice cream = summer. Yep, so true!!

cathy July 29, 2011 at 7:50 pm

WE’VE MISSED YOU, TOO, JANETHA!!! but really, congrats all around on the fundraiser success. just amazing.
thanks for the more indepth review of tahoe! man, i have to get there some day. your photos and account are awesome. can’t wait to hear more!
enjoy the sleep-in tomorrow – you deserve it!
long weekend here in ontario (monday is civic holiday!) – yippee!

BroccoliHut July 29, 2011 at 9:19 pm

The only place I’ve taken Margot thus far is home to Birmingham to visit my family…but I don’t think that really counts. Now I’ll be dreaming up dog-friendly vacay ideas for the rest of the evening…

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List July 29, 2011 at 9:51 pm

LOVE Heath Bar, but my all-time favorite B&J’s is the Oatmeal Cookie Dough, which I can’t seem to find anymore.

No pets, just two kiddos. They’re as messy and hyper as pets sometimes. :)
Weekend highlight? Date night with Travis tomorrow.

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) July 30, 2011 at 12:12 am

It’s rustic with a side of kitsch. So cute. Love the blue bottles. And the dog treats. I love those roasted soy beans- I have them as snackies in my purse all the time. Mmm. Never think to put them in salads- must do.

We take our kitties with us back and forth to Palm Springs. Someimes people ask us IF we are going to take the cats when we go next and I look at them like they have a third eye- THEY ARE OUR CHILDREN!! are you kidding me?!

MelissaNibbles July 30, 2011 at 7:13 am

Tahoe looks beautiful. I need to go there!

Andrea@WellnessNotes July 30, 2011 at 7:51 am

I’ll have to check out Freshies!

Have a great weekend!

Missy July 30, 2011 at 8:57 am

That bathroom is the same color as mine! What a great place to stay.
I’ve never traveled with my pet but Randy and Penny look like troopers!
Most exciting thing for my weekend? Packing for beach and cleaning house!

Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) July 30, 2011 at 10:59 am

Ben & I recently upgraded to a king sized bed, LOVE love LOVE it!!! Its so nice to sprawl out!!

We actually took our dogs on our honeymoon to Helen, Ga! We stayed in the cutest cabin and simply relaxed. I always envisioned my honeymoon to be on a tropical island somewhere, but due to money constraints at the time, we could only afford a cabin in the mountains… And I wouldn’t change a thing! It was perfect!!!

Carbzilla July 30, 2011 at 11:39 am

We’ve got the pets with us right now in PDX. Ink’s all mellow after a dreadful ride down (is it terrible I took a photo?).

After 2 great weeks at my new job (yay paycheck), we’re having a relaxing weekend down here. Supposed to be in the high 80s today – wheeeee!

Sara July 30, 2011 at 11:58 am

Oh gosh that place is too cute! I love how it looks like someone’s cabin as opposed to a hotel.

SD meetup in November is ON! I’ve been lazy about getting an SD meetup together in the first place, but this is the perfect excuse to do so ;)

Brittany @ A Spoonful of Peanut Butter July 30, 2011 at 12:04 pm

My family and I took our dog, Sparky, up to Ludington (its right off of Lake Michigan). It was fun to take him because he’s such a big part of our family and we would have missed him so much! The only downside was that there were only certain beaches we could be on and one of us always had to sit out to watch him. We still had fun though.

The most exciting thing on my weekend agenda (other than relaxing today :D) is that I might be going to see the Harry Potter movie tomorrow! :)
Have a great day!

The Delicate Place July 30, 2011 at 12:36 pm

i was hoping you’d go back and talk about this! i know you are were crazy busy with TGFA though so seriously hats off! i have a queen size bed too and i feel lost in a king haha (however, i don’t have 2 cute snuggly pups to steal the space). the most exciting thing on my weekend agenda besides celebrating my mom’s bday is choosing between 2 options i have for my career. i can reveal the exciting details in one week but i’m doing a lot of soul searching this weekend and about to make a life changing decision.

Katy @ notjustacarnivore July 30, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Good for you! I thought I won the Meatless cookbook w/ Whole Foods goodies and lululemon top. I got my other invoices, but not that one. Am I crazy?

So happy for you that you’re finished!

Carla in Sydney July 31, 2011 at 7:56 pm

I used to have a queen sized bed and with 2 adults and 2 dogs, it was quite a squeeze. After staying in a few hotels with king size beds I ended up buying one about a year ago. Let me tell you – there is no difference because one of my dogs still pushes himself right up against me. It wouldn’t matter if I had a bed the size of 2 king beds, he would still do the same thing! That is so cute that they both stood whining at the gate for you – dogs are so beautiful.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli August 7, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Oh my gosh, those potato balls look delicious, especially with that spicy sauce…looks like some sort of creamy chipotle or something? Mmm!

I can’t even imagine sleeping in a queen with another person AND two dogs! I have a queen and sometimes I don’t see how there’s enough room for more than just me! Haha!

Never taken a pet on vacation…my little man, Tiger doesn’t really travel well, so I’m sure he’d have a heart attack if I even tried getting him in a car for more than 30 minutes!