one pot lemon chicken & rice.
this simple, body for life friendly recipe is great for tight schedules and also is delicious left over after the flavors have a chance to meld together a bit.
- 1 lb organic boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into 1” cubes
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, grated
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 cup baby carrots, sliced very thin
- 15 oz low sodium all natural chicken broth
- 1 TB cornstarch
- juice of two lemons
- zest of the same two lemons
- 1 1/2 cups brown minute rice (uncooked)
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli, chopped rough
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped rough
- 1/2 cup all natural cream of mushroom soup
- fresh ground salt and pepper to taste
in a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. add garlic, onion and carrots, sauté for a few minutes.
season your chicken with salt and pepper.
turn heat to medium and add chicken. stir often, rotating chicken so it browns on all sides.
meanwhile, combine chicken broth, corn starch, lemon juice, lemon zest and brown rice in a small bowl. also, salt this mixture. i did about 10 rotations of the salt grinder.
you want to bring the mixture to a boil.
once it is boiling, add your parsley, broccoli and cream of mushroom soup.
mix well and reduce heat to low.
cover and let simmer 10-15 minutes, until the liquid has been absorbed, the rice is tender and the dish is nice and creamy.
this recipe makes four servings. i doused mine in hot sauce (cholula!) after the photo op.
nutrition info per serving, based on four servings:
xo. janetha g.