chicken pot pie casserole.
this recipe makes 8 BIG servings.
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup sweet potato, diced small
- 1 cup russet potato, diced small
- 1 cup celery, diced small
- 1 cup carrots, diced small
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups pearl onions, thawed
- 1 lb bonesless, skinless chicken breast, diced small
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp TJ’s 21 seasoning salute (or similar spice blend)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 cups milk (i used skim)
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 TB cornstarch
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa (yield 1.5 cups cooked)
- 4-5 sheets whole wheat fillo dough
in a large pot or deep saucepan, bring your broth to a boil (fact: i just typed “bring your brother to a boil”—sorry brother.)
slice and dice those veggies and add them all to the broth once it is boiling.
cover and let the veggies cook for at least 8 minutes. they should be fork-tender. remove the lid and add your chicken.
cook the chicken in the broth & veggies, stirring occasionally.
once the chicken is cooked through (about 8 more minutes), turn the heat to low-medium and use a slotted spoon to dish veggies & chicken into a bowl.
next, combine the milk and flour in a bowl with a whisk.
add the cornstarch
pour mixture into the broth.
add all of your seasonings at this point. cook over low-medium heat until it is nice and thick.
add your chicken & veggies back into the pot.
add your quinoa.. which you should have cooked by now. you have, right? hope so!
pour mixture into a 13×9 baking dish.
get your fillo dough ready!
don’t be worried if you tear it to shreds.. just make sure you get a couple layers of dough covering the casserole dish.
bake at 400 degrees for about 15-18 minutes, until the dough is nice and flaky.
time to dig in!
nutrition info per serving (based on 8 for the entire recipe)
delicious. comforting. healthy. amazing.