broccoli basil couscous.
i adapted this recipe off one from angharad’s blog. gotta give credit where credit is due!
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tb olive oil
- 2 cups roughly chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup couscous
- protein of choice (optional!)
for this demo i did use chicken but you can keep this recipe vegan by not adding the chicken.
- heat olive oil, onion and garlic in a medium saucepan until onion begins to soften.
- add basil and cook until the basil wilts.
- add broccoli, stir-fry until broccoli softens.
- once broccoli is tender, add vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- once liquid is boiling, stir in couscous, cover and remove from heat. let saucepan sit, covered, for at least 15 minutes.
- fluff couscous and add protein of choice, if you wish.
to make the chicken that i used in this dish, i simply heated some garlic & onion in a pan, added diced chicken, salt and pepper. then i stir-fried until cooked through.
simple as that!
you can doctor the couscous up in so many ways. it is good served hot or cold. for example, i took 1/2 cup of the broccoli basil couscous and combined it with 1 pouch of albacore tuna, 1/4 cup cottage cheese and a few chopped grape tomatoes. this was eaten cold and was a protein packed meal! so delicious!
if you make this recipe definitely let me know how you decide to eat it!