apple cinnamon protein coffee cake.
delicious and fluffy.. and best paired with a cup of coffee!
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (pastry flour will also work)
- 2 servings vanilla protein powder of choice (around 20g protein per serving)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 TB xagave agave nectar (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 TB smart balance light (or other butter-like spread that is 50 cals/TB)
- 1 TB olive oil
- 2 large egg whites or 6 TB carton egg whites
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup 0% plain chobani greek yogurt
- almond milk to thin, if needed
- 1/2 of a medium granny smith apple, sliced into small pieces
- 3 tsp cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 3 TB wholesome sweeteners zero organic sugar substitute
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees. spray a 5 x 7 baking pan with cooking spray, set aside.
2. toss sliced apples with 1 tsp cinnamon.
3. spray a small skillet with cooking spray and cook apples over medium heat, until tender. set aside.
4. combine almonds, wholesome sweeteners sugar substitute and remaining 2 tsp of cinnamon in a small bowl. set aside.
5. combine “dry bowl” ingredients, set aside.
6. in a separate bowl, combine xagave, smart balance and oil. mix well until you have a creamy texture.
7. add egg whites and vanilla. mix well.
8. add yogurt. mix well. mixture should be creamy.
9. add the flour mixture, a little bit at a time, mixing thoroughly each time you add more.
10. pour half of the batter into the prepared baking dish.
11. place all of the apples evenly on top of mixture.
12. place half of the almond mixture on top of the apples.
13. pour the remaining batter into the dish.
14. top with the remaining almond mixture.
15. bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until top is golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
the top will be caramelized and the middle will be light and fluffy.
slice into six even squares.
enjoy with a cup of coffee!
this recipe makes six servings. per serving: 179 calories, 6g fat, 17g carbs, 14g protein and 3.5g fiber.