easter sunday.

by Janetha on April 21, 2014

in dogs,family time

hey! i am really on a roll with posting, huh? hopefully i keep up my momentum.

before i tell you about yesterday, i want to wish my blog a happy five years! i started this blog five years ago yesterday—crazy! i usually do some big to-do giveaway or celebration, but… pregnant.

so! yesterday was easter! i am far from religious, but we do always celebrate easter. i grew up LDS and easter was always a big deal. dresses, egg hunts, church, baskets.. lots of fun.

scan0002scan0001scan0009

i have to say that the glorification of holidays these days kinda bugs me. okay, sitting on santa’s lap i get, but do we really need to have photos with the creepy easter bunny?? a little over the top, if you ask me. and it seems like so many kids get LOADS of easter loot. what happened to a little bit of candy, a toy or a book, and some hard boiled eggs cleverly hidden? i dunno.. call me old fashioned.. but easter is way too hyped up for me these days.

okay, rant over.. and now i will tell you about easter, haha. whatever.

i woke up and the baby wanted french toast. he’s pretty demanding. we didn’t have any white bread (french toast just isn’t the same with wheat bread, folks) so marshall, aka husband of the year, headed to the store to get some.

while he was out, i rolled out of bed and, to my surprise, saw that my gem of a husband got me an easter basket! he doesn’t even celebrate easter, so i was floored at the gesture (and, of course, felt bad that i didn’t do anything for him…) but look! he’s so sweet.

very thoughtful. thanks, babe.

i whipped up breakfast—cheesy scrambled eggs, bacon, and french toast.

afterward we decided to get a little exercise with the pups at the park. it was a beautiful day!

that park excursion was the extent of my exercise all weekend. see these pull up bars?

i did exactly .75 of a pull up. i am not what i once was.. i used to be able to do 5-6 strict pull ups in a row. whomp whomp. oh well, i am heavier and weaker these days! i am actually pretty damn proud of the fact that i made it to gold’s three times last week for a 20 minute session on the elliptical (each time.) sure, my hips have DOMS from the experience, but at least it’s better than being parked on my butt.

anyway.. a few pics from the park:

the rest of the afternoon was spent working on boxing up my office. we have decided not to move for awhile and so i have to turn my office into a nursery. it’s going to be a task, but it’s nice to know where we will be when the baby comes. that takes a bit of stress off my shoulders.

i headed up to my parents’ place around 4 to help my mom finish up with dinner prep. we had all our traditional easter staples like ham, funeral potatoes, and deviled eggs.

we also had the infamous carrot cake for dessert.. this is the fifth year in a row i have made it! it never disappoints.

my sister brought these incredible homemade peanut butter cups. they put reese’s to shame!

before eating, there was an egg hunt for the little kiddos. they had a lot of fun looking for all the hidden colorful eggs.

marshall found a stink bug.

we also each received a basket from the easter bunny AKA momma b. (who, i promise was in attendance.. but i realized i don’t have any pics of her or my dad from yesterday! fail.)

love these little shoes in our basket for the little man!

p.s. nora is so cute.

after the festivities we ate dinner, it was delicious!

the rest of the evening was spent chatting and digesting. it was a great family celebration.

i headed home in time to catch the newest episode of game of thrones.. eep, love that show! any one else?

well, that was my easter in a nutshell. hope you had a fun one if you celebrated!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 21, 2014 at 5:08 pm

I was not all for celebrating Easter yesterday, but sucked it up and went over to my parents for the giant family party. I made myself feel better by eating a handful (or two or three) of Cadbury mini eggs (aka Easter candy crack).

Kim F April 21, 2014 at 5:20 pm

What a sweet hubby you have found yourself :) Glad he spoiled you yesterday! I can’t get over that pic of Randy. It’s too perfect. Easter used to be one of my favorite holidays not because of the Easter bunny but because my Grandma would get us the BEST baskets and we would eat brunch instead of dinner. Way better than Christmas if you ask me! French toast for this girl!

Annette@FitnessPerks April 21, 2014 at 8:03 pm

that carrot cake….WANT!!!

What a sweet husband you have! ANd your bump is adoraaaable.

Sara @ LovingOnTheRun April 21, 2014 at 9:07 pm

It looks like such a wonderful weekend! Glad you all had a good easter. Those shoes are so cute – baby clothes are the best!

Lili April 21, 2014 at 11:29 pm

Love that show so much., watched that too yesterday . U look great . Wanted to tell u that about after 7.5 moths prego UR appetite will increase even more .. Like crazy . U want to eat all the time , every hour and u forget how much and what u ate lol. I’m pretty short too , leggings and tee shirts is mostly what I wear.

Linz @ Itz Linz April 21, 2014 at 11:48 pm

nice! homemade pb cups? will your sis share the recipe? and i’m winded now from walking up a huge hill haha that’s ok – muscles have memory – it’ll all come back once the work begins again! :)

lindsay April 22, 2014 at 5:08 am

where’s your easter hat? my mother always put me in a matching hat, which i then would cry about all of church service because my brothers made fun of me.

Momma b did good! coldstone FTW

Teri [a foodie stays fit] April 22, 2014 at 6:54 am

I am totally with you on the overhyped holidays. I said to my coworker yesterday, “Since when did Easter become as big a deal as Christmas?” It’s craziness.

I want all those deviled eggs. Kthxbai.

betty April 22, 2014 at 7:33 am

i saw one of my friends give their kid a bike for easter and I was like what?? we did a easter egg hunt at our house and put notes for future weekend plans with the nieces and nephews, but its stuff we would already have gotten them, so it was nice to hype that up a little. growing up the easter egg hunt was always my favorite.

looks like yall had a good day!

Krissie J @ Philly Nerd Girl April 22, 2014 at 8:13 am

Anyone who gives you a giant box of Nerds is a keeper in my book. ;)

jessiker April 22, 2014 at 8:27 am

Those throw-back photos are hilarious!
Can I have Nora please? She’s the cutest. Those shoes are cute! Coldstone lol.

Erica April 22, 2014 at 8:28 am

Haha- I totally understand your thoughts on overdoing it with kids….but its hard to not overdo it once you have kids. SO sweet of the man to get you an easter basket (and great goodies). Love your pups. If I ever come to Utah…you’re making that carrot cake- deal? :) :)

Janetha April 22, 2014 at 12:12 pm

I get spoiling a little but it shouldn’t be as big as Christmas or birthday lol. YES.. I will totally make you this cake. I wish you were coming to Blend!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries April 22, 2014 at 12:14 pm

The photos of deviled eggs + carrot cake + peanut butter cups one after another had me drooooling. Glad you guys had a nice Easter with your family! Great job on the Easter goodies, Marshall!

Marie-Sophie April 23, 2014 at 2:07 pm

I can understand how relieved you must feel regarding moving/not moving! And your baby is going to do just fine in your office!! We don’t even have a room for a nursery – so the baby will have to share a room with the office / guest sofa space … but in the first 1 – 2 years they don’t really need their own room anyway! They just need a place to sleep and somewhere to change their diaper ;-) (both of this we’ll fit in a corner and make it cosy) The positive side: I won’t obsess over decorating the nursery = a lot less money spent on pretty yet unnecessary things. Always look on the bright side ;-)

I hope your heartburn has gotten better! Mine keeps having comebacks.

Janetha April 23, 2014 at 2:58 pm

OMG i thought it was gone and then BAM it is back in full force today lol. hang in there! xo