three things thursday.

by Janetha on March 13, 2014

in humor,oh baby

hey, hi, how are you? hope your week is going well. mine is getting better. amanda (aka my co-worker) was out of town for 8 days but was back today so it made work seem like a breeze! once our new admin assistant starts i am not going to know what to do with myself! so excited.

i had my 16 week checkup today. no ultrasound this time around.. but guess what?! april 1 is my next one and we will find out the baby’s sex! super stoked. i hope he/she doesn’t try to fool us ;) all is well with the baby for now.. healthy heartbeat at 145-150 BPM and my uterus is “sitting just right”–good job, ute. proud of ya.

in other news, marshall is at a concert and i am home alone eating my entire kitchen.. so i thought i would tear myself away to ramble for a minute before going back for more.

time for three things thursday!

once upon a time there was a blogger named melissa who wrote a blog called melissa’s nibbles (or was it melissa nibbles?) and it was easily one of my top five favorite blogs. when she retired, i was sad to see her go. one of her weekly features was three things thursday, where she’d bitch about what’s bugging her that week.

every once in awhile, i would jump on the TTT wagon and post my own annoyances. it’s been year(s) since i have posted my own three things thursday, but today i decided to bring it back. sometimes it’s just nice to complain, right? plus, it’s all in fun. i am sure my list today will offend lots of people, but please don’t take it too seriously. there’s my disclaimer.

1. the hashtag #fitpregnancy.

haha.. this is going to offend the majority of bloggers who are/have been pregnant. many of my friends as well.. so please don’t take it personally, k? but i just cannot handle this stupid hashtag! it drives me up the wall.  is it necessary to post a photo every.time.you.do.something.active? we get it, you are working out WHILE growing a child in your womb. you are so fit. someone get this woman a trophy.

i personally didn’t work out for the first three months of my pregnancy. i was too sick to do normal things like make dinner, fold laundry, or walk up a flight of stairs. going to the gym was the last thing on my mind. while i don’t feel an ounce of guilt for my lack of working out, i know that some pregnant women might see all this #fitpregnancy talk and feel bad about their own habits.. which makes me sad to think about. some women aren’t even allowed to work out during part/all of their pregnancy. it’s FINE. you are growing a HUMAN. that right there is no joke—it takes it out of you. i had no idea just how exhausting it would be. yeah, i have made it to the gym a few times since entering the second trimester, but i am by no means superior to anyone who hasn’t made it there. i said i would go 3x a week but it’s thursday night and i have gone once. whoops. i mean, i counted my trip to costco yesterday as my workout. it’s fine. jessica said it counts. (jessica is my pregnant BFF. she is 6 weeks ahead of me. she has authority on these things.)

and can we all pause for a moment to read THIS POST? best. ever. seriously, go read it. i will be here when you get done.

and then there are the food pics. i didn’t know that every semi-healthy-ish morsel that went into your mouth had to be tagged #fitpregnancy.  chicken for dinner? tag that shit. you ate an apple for a snack? clearly you are the fittest pregnant woman around! good job. i bet you anything that same woman is eating french fries and/or ice cream as well (depending on her cravings and/or aversions) and not boasting about that snack choice. i’m just over here trying to decide between savory and sweet.

for the record, i had both. and, yes, we text each other about food ALL DAY LONG.

okay, so the working out pics tagged with this DO make some sense. even though it’s annoying, i get it. and even though i don’t agree, i see why you might tag your oh-so-healthy meal choice with #fitpregnancy.. but what about the ones that are completely irrelevant? i saw a pic of a pregnant belly in a bubble bath tagged #fitpregnancy. (don’t even get me started on bathtub pics, you guys.)   #fitpregnancy in the bubbly tub??? WHY?! please stop.

finally, one last rant about this one before moving on, and it’s my biggest rant of all. i saw a pic under this hashtag and a woman was talking about how she “hasn’t even gained 10 pounds yet, 26 weeks in!” i had to shake my head. first of all, weight gain during pregnancy is not exactly something you can control. sure, maybe you can not gain all the pounds by having some self control around the self-serve ice cream machine.. but really, that baby is gonna make you gain weight. rapidly. and it’s gonna be weird. no matter what. even if you are ready for it or expect it. and for a woman to put that photo out there for other pregnant women to see, for those who may be struggling with their own weight gain, for them to compare their situation to yours, is just ridiculous. yay, you, you’re the fittest because you haven’t packed on double digits yet. congrats.

whew. apparently that one really makes me ragey. moving on.

2. same side sitters.

you know those couples. you go to a restaurant and they are there, insisting to sit on the same side as each other… but they are the only two at the table. is this so they can hold hands while they eat their meal? or are they just terrified of watching each other chew?

marshall and i always give a nice eye roll to those same side sitters when we spot them. i guess it’s a phenomenon we will never understand. a quick google search just now informed me that i am not the only one noticing this. it’s even listed in urban dictionary! haha.. the images tab is good for a laugh. found this gem…

the facebook sharing thing should definitely be on this list as well, no?

3. boobs.

you guys! why do people pay money for fake boobs?? i HATE them. before i was pregnant, i had no boobs an happily went bra-less about 87% of the time. i don’t understand women who complain about small boobs.. they win at life. proud member of the IBTC right here.

then this pregnancy thing came along and my boobs started growing at a very rapid rate. i have had to purchase bras on two occasions so far—because they just keep getting bigger and bigger. umm.. i’m not even halfway through my pregnancy. shit. and let’s not even think about when those things are full of milk. ay ay ay.

anyway, boobs are annoying. i hate the under-boob fold thing that i now have.. definitely a new and awful feeling. all my shirts are too tight these days, and that’s not because of my growing belly (yet.) it’s all because of the boobs. i guess i wasn’t cut out for these knockers and i really don’t understand why people pay money to upgrade the size of their chest. (i mean, i know some women have legit reasons for breast augmentation, but those who pay big bucks to supersize them? i don’t get it.)

i know there’s a reason for my boobs to be growing at a rapid rate, and that’s fine, i just sure hope they tone it down after all is said and done. (although marshall may disagree with my desire.)

that concludes this episode of three things thursday. i would love for you to list your own things in the comments. my local radio show does a series called “things that must go” every wednesday. i love hearing what people are complaining about… so please, humor me, and let’s hear it.

Sara March 14, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Best.Post.Ever. I love this!! hahaha! Thanks for sharing (and for being honest)!

One of my biggest complaints is people who walk really sloooooowly when crossing an intersection! It is especially irking when the crosswalk sign isn’t permitting walkers, yet someone still decides to cross super slowly while cars are attempting right or left turns. I swear, some people act like they’re going for a promenade to smell the daisies when they cross intersections. Have the decency to walk briskly if you’re not supposed to be walking at all! ha! :)

Jennie March 14, 2014 at 9:40 pm

I think this was my favorite post every. Thanks for the laugh and the link that you shared too. Hilarious. xo

Krista March 14, 2014 at 11:50 pm

Love it!!! I have to agree that people go over the top in many ways with the whole pregnancy thing these days!!! Yes, it’s exciting and I get it, but it’s sort of been happening for years ; ) One statement that really made me roll my eyes, was something along the lines of, “My drug free labor helped me to have a healthier baby.” Really?? And…how many selfies in workout gear can a person take?! I totally get where your coming from with this post!! And…I do have two kids : )

Kristen March 15, 2014 at 9:56 am

I agree on the #fitpregnancy thing! I had always pictured myself having this really, well, fit pregnancy. Then I had miserable morning sickness (Like you did) and some serious complications. I spent a month in the hospital only allowed out of bed to pee and 1x daily to shower. Then the next 2 months were gradually less restricted bed rest at home. Sometimes when I see those pics or read those posts I get pangs of… I guess I’ll be a grownup and admit some jealousy. Then I remember that I have this amazing, healthy, strong, beautiful seven year old girl to be thankful for!

On a lighter note: back in college my then boyfriend and I went to a restaurant that was all same-side-seating. It was supposed to be romantic but it just felt awkward.

Krista March 15, 2014 at 10:07 am

oops…you are coming from ; )

SuzanneU March 15, 2014 at 7:43 pm

I laughed for about 20 minutes about your #fitpregnancy rant. That blog post was priceless. Could.Not.Stop.Laughing.

My rant this week is lack of customer service. Whenever I am in the grocery store or at the drug store, I am just dumb-founded that the clerks are more concerned about talking to each other than servicing me. I even brought it up to managers and they don’t care. Puts me in such a rage.

Cassie March 15, 2014 at 8:09 pm

The #fitpregnancy is so funny… I haven’t seen it before, but I can definitely imagine girls doing that…

Livi March 16, 2014 at 7:27 am

I can’t imagine the “pressure” from other pregnant bloggers and the fit pregnancy idea. You are doing so awesome, and obviously every pregnancy is going to be different! You just have to do you.

Christina W March 16, 2014 at 7:30 am

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Regarding the boobs situation – what REALLY sucks is what happens after the baby comes (or after you’re done nursing). Think of elasticity – those suckers blow up during pregnancy and then after they kind of….deflate. Definitely won’t be as perky as before. I hope you don’t get stretch marks on them!

Nikki March 16, 2014 at 7:37 am

I am 24 and a half weeks pregnant with my first and I just had to comment on the woman who hasn’t even gained 10 lbs yet at week 26. I have just about a 10 lb. gain right now and this is not to come off as bragging, I had so much morning sickness. Trust me, you wouldn’t want to trade places with me. I am already built thin and I lost 10lbs first trimester. It was a struggle to gain it back. My goal was never to gain the least amount of weight possible, but to survive. Lol

Janetha March 16, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Well I am sure you aren’t considering the small amount of weight gained as “fit pregnancy” like her. I am sorry you have been so sick!

Nikki March 16, 2014 at 7:40 am

I also like your rant on small boobs. That is me. At 6 months pregnant, my boobs haven’t grown an ounce. My husband goes “You are like the only woman on the planet who gets pregnant and your boobs don’t grow”

Marisa March 16, 2014 at 9:32 am

Along the lines of the sides sitters and shared Facebook accounts….I know of some couples who actually have shared e-mail addresses and I find that to be just obnoxious and very awkward! Even when you’re married, you’re still two individual people.

Aimee March 17, 2014 at 7:49 am

LOVE this post. I laughed for several minutes after I read the post you linked to as well. I’m expecting my 3rd and this time around I swore that I would be the “fit pregnant lady”……until my morning sickness hit again. I was hoping this time it would be different, but nope! I am 21 weeks and have been to the gym a total of 3 times. It has really bothered me until now, and now I am not worried about it in the least.

Boobs……..don’t get me started! Everything is tight because of my boobs, not my belly, either. Ugh…..and it is just going to get worse for me.

LG March 17, 2014 at 10:45 am

Proud size B here…I am totally with you about the size! Any larger and they would be such a hassle. I was at Victoria’s Secret last week and the sales lady seemed surprised when I didn’t go for the pushup bra. :0) But with one, I just feel…well, chunky, if I’m honest. And I’m more of a butt/legs girl myself so I rarely think about “playing up the “ladies”.

Lili March 17, 2014 at 11:54 am

U are hilarious lol. I’m 27 wks pregnant and feel heavy and legs hurt. Other than that great. My work outs are walking . Boobs lol. Are so huge and they grow way fast. I’ve had a crazy grow spurt from A to C .. Scared w the milk and all. Afterwards I don’t even want to think or picture them lol. Ya some fit prego moms are a lil too crazy out there .. I want to see pics of UR growing belly ..

beth March 17, 2014 at 1:10 pm

This post was awesome! I am a same side sitter in the early honeymoon phase of dating. Self proclaimed and anyone can hate all they want, but I just think “I HAVE TO TOUCH YOU” and a table distance away is just too much. Fast forward 6 months and most couples are eating separately cooked meals on the couch with animals in between…. so sometimes those same siders are just in the most fun stage of a relationship!

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily March 17, 2014 at 2:19 pm

I have so much snark this pregnancy it’s insane. I’m sitting here saying PREACH on to all of this!!! I’m 35 weeks and so done it’s done being cute. My last workout was sometime in October and I have no more cares to give. I spent the morning walking through the mall today looking for freaking snow pants for my 6 year old and then came home to nap. Winning.

Annette@FitnessPerks March 17, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I love your honesty!

First of all, you might hate me…I totally have sat on the same side as my husband in the booth, but it’s mostly so we can talk (restaurants can be so dang loud!) We don’t always though, for sure, esp in quieter places.

Second of all, I totally used the #fitpregnancy throughout my entire pregnancy…honestly though, it was coming from a place of let’s do this together/motivation. I am so NOT in the game for trying to be better than another, and if someone takes it that way, that is their issue. You know? I totally agree that using that hashtag to prove a certain weight gain or loss in pregnancy is so stupid & doesn’t even make sense(!?) so I get you on that one! I guess I am trying to say that I am weird, and working out actually made me feel better because I was so nauseated (learned to say it right from you!), so being that motivation and spokesperson for other pregnant women who weren’t sure if they could workout/do it, just sort of came naturally since it was my job to workout/teach fitness.

I totally get that this was to make fun of it though…but just wanted to throw my two cents out there (even though I am sure you were making fun of me too). It’s all good :)

Also, the boobs thing. Yah. So many bras. So many sizes. Cheers! ;)

Annette@FitnessPerks March 17, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Oh and I forgot–I was that pregnant person who posted all her cravings too. totally didn’t eat a salad for most of the third tri. Which by the way, it’s almost summer, so I need a slurpeeeee (I’ll be interested to see if you start craving those too when it gets hot!)

Pua March 22, 2014 at 10:54 pm

I’m so late in reading this, but you are seriously becoming my favorite blogger!! I am so in love with this post because (1) I am too damn tired to work out (I like to be in a prone position for most of the day) and (2) I. Want. All. The. Cookies.

Seriously? Who are these skinny, happy, dancing, flexing, eating only salads pregnant people? You should seriously start a new hashtag trend where we all take photos of ourselves lying around and eating ice cream. :-)

Jamie March 26, 2014 at 3:47 pm

If you see my husband and I out on date, don’t make fun of us for sitting on the same side of the booth. lol. He developed hearing problems after his deployment and can’t hear as well in a noisy restaurant. So instead of saying huh all the time. We are awkward. ;)

Jenn - Girl Heroes April 2, 2014 at 6:53 am

You are going to totally hate me now but Brent and I will sit on the same side in a restaurant and have a wonderful time whispering and kissing :-), I have used that hashtag although not much bc I don’t take many fitness photos anymore…snore, and my boobs don’t really change much during or after pregnancy. I’m due ANY day and haven’t bought on new bra. Knock on wood this is my third child and I’m way older so I know elastacin and collagen aren’t what they were in my early twenties!

Megan May 29, 2014 at 1:19 am

Very late to the party, but congratulations on your pregnancy!

And thank you thank you thank you so much for this post. I’m almost out of my first trimester and cannot get over the exhaustion and the food cravings. Not even so much cravings but more a complete aversion to vegetables. Especially green veggies blerghh.

I find it bizarre to read of one blogger in particular who claims she had terrible morning sickness and exhaustion but was still doing intense exercise on a regular basis.

Anyway that’s my rant over! I’ll enjoy catching up on your blog :-)

Janetha May 30, 2014 at 1:32 pm

lol is it sad that i am no longer sick at all and i still don’t work out? i am just lazy and don’t really care. congrats on your pregnancy, megan!! xoxo