focusing this spring.

by Janetha on March 21, 2013

in goals

yay, it’s spring! yesterday was officially the first day of spring and i couldn’t be happier about it. i could, however, be happier about the weather. we woke up to snow today. booooooo.

it’s funny, i used to be really sad to see winter go because i was such a die hard snowboarder. however, as i have gotten older, i have grown less and less fond of the snowy season and have seriously looked forward to warmer temperatures. especially this spring, since i have developed an outdoor exercise habit over the past year (thanks to GPP.)

another thing i love about warmer temperatures is my increased desire to eat fresher, healthier food. i don’t know if is that the cold weather has me craving comfort food or that i know tank tops & shorts season is now just around the corner, but there’s something about spring has me aiming to eat a healthier diet.

as part of the beautiful change challenge, i have been asked to talk about some of my food and fitness focuses this spring.

now, i am always focusing on my food and fitness goals. it’s a constant thing for me! you guys know i work out 5-6 days a week and i eat clean about 75% 60% of the time (haha.. i have kind of fallen off the clean eating bandwagon the past six weeks or so…) but i always like to use the spring season as a reason to refocus and dial in my food and fitness goals. a little “spring cleaning”—ya know?

i have picked two food factors & two fitness factors to focus on this spring.

i have said it before and i will say it again: i suck at eating vegetables!! i am pretty OK at fruits, but i could be better. shoot, even my salads usually contain very little veggies. a few days of the week, marshall makes me juice in the vitamix using an array of fruits and vegetables. however, if i don’t have that morning juice, i just might go the entire day without eating a SINGLE veggie. yikes.

SO, this spring, i am going to aim to eat fruits and veggies at at least two of my meals each day. if i do have the morning fruit & veggie juice, that can count as one of the two. oh, i also want to plant a garden and grow my own produce! maybe then i’d be more inclined to eat it??

y’all know i am not big on running.

my motto.

i like short distances. sprinting is my jam. throw a few miles at me and i get grumpy. throw five miles at me and i will laugh, shake my head, and go home.

however, i have been recruited to run a relay race in a couple months. the race requires me to run 7 or 8 miles at a time. you know what that means? i need to make sure i can actually run 7 or 8 miles at a time. since it’s a relay race, i have teammates who will be counting on me. i don’t want to let them down, so i need to make sure i focus on running longer distances before the race.

notice i said less sweets & treats—not NO sweets & treats. the thing is, i will never give up treats completely. been there, done that.. hated it. however, i have been having sweets & treats after lunch, after work, after dinner, before bed… there is really no need for SO MANY TREATS! i am not a dog.

i am going to aim for just one treat a day instead of three or four. special occasions don’t count.. i am a believer that special occasions call for more treats. like birthdays and date nights and carrot cake on easter.

but, no, a tuesday is not a special occasion. neither is four o’clock.

while i am constantly working on my speed and strength, i don’t focus much on learning new things. at my gym, we recently started doing exercises while balancing on swiss balls. it’s hard. but fun. and i want to be better at it! something to practice.

we also did double unders this week. i can’t do more than ten in a row. but i WANT to. practicing things like balance and double unders is such a different type of workout than adding weight to a barbell or shaving a few seconds off running a mile. i want to learn new skills this spring!

those are my four focuses! i usually don’t have a hard time committing to something that i focus on, but i have been really lenient with myself lately. so.. hopefully i can stick to these goals and come back to this post if i find myself drifting off into space. hold me to it, kay? thanks.

1. what food & fitness focuses do you have for spring?

2. what is your favorite season & why?

___________________

logo

Now, it’s actually healthy to wash your hair every day. AVEENO® PURE RENEWAL lets you renew your hair to its naturally balanced state daily. Unlike ordinary shampoos, these sulphate-free formulas have Balancing Seaweed Extract; bringing hair back to its naturally healthy, most balanced state with each wash, for beautifully healthy-looking hair.

Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Aveeno via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Aveeno.

Bekki March 21, 2013 at 6:03 pm

I love SUMMER- I too have had about 1 foot of snow on the first 2 days of spring. I am just over it this year.
I am currently 4 months preggo so this spring I am trying to keep my food healthy and get fruits and veggies as I need them. I have had a rough first 3 months and food hasn’t been great- so spring will be time to redeem myself.

Trisha March 21, 2013 at 6:34 pm

SUMMER SUMMER SUMMER!!!

im working on training for 2 half marathons i reg’d for… and to incorporate more FUN into my workouts.

Food wise, i want to just get out of the same ol same ol rut, and try new things and eat a bit more intuitively. I also want to try my hand at a garden…….. no green thumbs here though. But I’d love to try!

Angie @ Pint of Goals March 21, 2013 at 6:46 pm

I am with you about being bad about eating vegetables. Today the veggie I had was the diced tomatoes in the cheeseburger casserole I made for dinner. Not good! I am good about fruits though and had three servings today.
Summer is the best season! Although I have always lived in WI, I am not a fan of winter. Unfortunately winter is hanging on around here – no signs of spring around these parts :(

BroccoliHut March 21, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Great list of goals!
This spring, I am focusing on running more too, particularly outside. I’ve been sticking to my 2-4 miles on the treadmill consistently through the winter, but I think I’d really improve my distance and pace if I started running in the sunshine.
Spring is my favorite season–I would say summer, except that it gets so dang hot down here in the South!

Heather @ Heather's Dish March 21, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I used to love winters too, but am a warm weather gal all the way these days. I can’t wait til it gets warm and I can start a garden – I finally feel prepared to do it!

Logan @ Mountains and Miles March 21, 2013 at 7:39 pm

My focus this spring is on strength training. I’ve got the running thing down, but I really need to do some more strength training to help prevent injuries!

Fall is my favorite season because I get too hot in the summer and it starts to cool off. Plus I love the changing colors of the trees!

Erica March 21, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I love how you write as I get older…like you’re an old old women who can’t shovel her driveway haha. Too cute. Heart you. Less sweets! I love that you write less vs. NO. I’m getting so sick of reading about diets that fully eliminate something just for weight loss purposes (I understand if its because you’re having health issues related to something…otherwise its ridiculous IMO). Love that picture of you balancing on the ball! If I lived closer, I’d run with you :)

1. what food & fitness focuses do you have for spring? I really want to focus on faster, shorter runs. I’m also always working on my teaching form and energy

2. what is your favorite season & why? SUMMMMMMMER. I hate cold, I hate even chilly. I love heat, flip flops, the beach, sun dresses. ah!

Ellen M. Gregg March 21, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Gah. I need to do something fitness-wise to back up my ongoing weight loss. I want to be toned, but not muscley. Muscly? You know, highly muscled. I keep thinking about Yoga, but I fear I’ll get on the floor and won’t be able to get back up. :-)

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats March 21, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I love summer the most for warm weather I just don’t like it when it stays hot at night as its much harder to sleep!

Kristina March 21, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I love the Fall in San Diego. I think it’s our best season, even more than Summer. Right now I’m training for a very hilly half marathon in April. I’m trying to keep my diet in check so I have less to lug up those hills!

I always laugh whenever I see runners wearing the “Running Sucks” shirt at races. I bet you’ll eat more veggies when they come from your garden. They always taste better from your backyard.

Kady March 22, 2013 at 6:08 am

First off, happy Friday and you are awesome.

I have similar health and fitness goals for this spring, since I am getting married in June!

I have a question: where did you get/what brand are those purple pants you are wearing in the picture with the swiss balls? I love them!

Janetha March 22, 2013 at 7:46 am

Hi! Thanks :) they’re lululemon.

Sarah (The Simple Dietitian) March 22, 2013 at 6:20 am

I too am excited for spring and summer…bring on the flip flops!!! :D

I definitely want to refocus myself on eating more veggies. I do get quite a bit in during the day, but I’ve been into my “treats” too! ;) I’d also like to up my weight training. My arms are the weakest part of my body and I’m constantly trying to strengthen them and get them more toned…nothing like the coming of spring and summer to reinspire me! :D

Linz @ Itz Linz March 22, 2013 at 6:40 am

SUMMER! I’m a teacher so that pretty much explains why :) :)

Tamara March 22, 2013 at 8:05 am

1. Foodwise, I’m stealing yours: more fruits and veggies, fewer sugary/snacky things. Fitnesswise, returning to running… slowly! I’d like to remain injury free if at all possible. Now first I have to let this tendonitis in my inner thigh/adductor fully heal! Eesh.

2. Summer. I don’t like being cold!

Sami March 22, 2013 at 9:32 am

i had an unhealthy obsession with running once. thank god that’s over because i absolutely loathe it. i get in the mood once in a blue moon, but other than that, i could go without it all together. the only thing i enjoy about “running” is when i have to do it in a basketball game, but i’m pretty sure that doesn’t count ;)

i don’t have a favorite season… i have favorite feelings… like crisp, autumn air when it feels “clear” outside… the feeling i get when i can feel sunshine on my face and when my skin is soaking up that vitamin d in the summertime on a beach…. the awesomeness of the first snowfall of the year… drinking hot chocolate to warm your entire soul…. the bright, cheery fuzzy feeling i get when i’m hunting easter eggs and see new blooms during spring. love ’em allll.

xo. happy friday!

Stacey March 22, 2013 at 11:40 am

I can’t imagine not getting in enough veggies and fruits. I love them and eat them every meal, snack every day. If fact if I could survive off of them with workouts and everything (and dying from all the fiber), that’s all I would eat. And almond butter. Love ab.

Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen March 22, 2013 at 12:34 pm

LOVE spring! I wish it actually felt like it, instead of me sitting in my little office staring out the front doors of school all day at the sunshine, thinking, “Oh I can’t wait to get out there!” only to be met with hellacious winds or biting cold that the sun is masking.

But anyways.

Love your goals. I think my biggest goals right now are to keep going to yoga and also running, but not worrying about running such crazy long distances–making sure I’m enjoying it. I am going to run my first (and perhaps only) race in a couple of weeks, so that’s pretty exciting, and focus on my relatively recent “break-up” with calorie counting, which is something that might take more than just the spring to overcome. :)

Shannon R March 22, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Does Marshall strain your juice? I imagine he does since you have a problem with fiber and well, intestinal stuff going on. Duh. Anyway, does he use a nut milk bag or cheesecloth or something? I picked up a few bags so I can juice in my Blendtec, I was just wondering what everyone else was doing.

Janetha March 22, 2013 at 2:52 pm

No, it’s whole food juice.

Shannon R March 22, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Oh! Sorry to assume! I drink green monsters all the time and I know that whole juices like that seem to really slow down my digestive processes and make me bloat a bit personally so that’s my bad for jumping to that. I’ve been hanging with the raw crowd too long, trying to pick up tips and tricks and see if actual juice minus some of the fiber is a better option.

Janetha March 22, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Don’t be sorry at all! I know that there is a lot of debate between whole food and strained but we have a vitamix so that is what we do it is just the easiest for us :)

Victoria March 22, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Haha I’m the opposite with running, and my goal for the spring is to do a sub-4 hour marathon!

I can’t wait for the summer. Longer days, everything’s alive and people are out of their homes.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 22, 2013 at 3:19 pm

The winter can suck it. Cold weather keeps hanging around here, and it’s supposed to snow again on Monday! (WHAT!?) I’m over it.
My focus is eating CORRECT portion sizes- especially when it comes to fruit and knowing that yes, fruit calories DO count.

Jennyb March 22, 2013 at 4:35 pm

My focus should really be snacking, self control & my appetite. Like now – its 10.30pm, i’m now downstairs alone & i really want to go to the kitchen & eat something. But am i really hungry? i’m not sure. And i really didn’t need to nibble the leftover pizza as i was throwing it away at work this evening! No self control or discipline!

My exercise focus should just be to get my stupid muscles relaxed so i can exercise without squashing my sciatic nerve! In other words learn to exercise in other ways such as swimming that won’t aggravate it.

Alex @ Alex Tries it Out March 23, 2013 at 7:01 pm

These are great goals! I’m the same way about eating during winter. I always go for heavier stuff, so it’s nice when spring comes to lighten things up a bit. And take off that winter “skin” :).

This spring I really want to work on increasing my speed in running. That’s a bit more of a year goal, but I’m starting now!

My favorite season is fall. I love how everything looks when the leaves turn – the gold, oranges – it’s gorgeous!