the burpee mile.

by Janetha on October 21, 2012

in love life

hello! it’s sunday evening and i am finally taking a time out to blog. it’s been a busy, fun weekend!

friday night i went to a slumber party–no, not a sleepover, the other kind of slumber party. it was fun to see some of my lady friends and get updated on all the latest and greatest products for the bedroom. saturday night i went to the porcupine with marshall and some of his family to celebrate his birthday & his step-sister stacie’s birthday. after dinner, we checked out looper. super good flick! highlight recommended. today i did the usual costco & whole foods grocery shopping and i also hit the gym. i am still nursing my tendonitis, so i rowed a 5k. boring, yes, but something is better than nothing! we headed to my parents’ place for a family dinner and it was awesome to see everyone and eat delicious food together.

all of those things were great, but the main event of the weekend was saturday morning. it was the burpee mile!!

NewImage

i have talked about this event for a few weeks, and i am so excited to recap everything. it went off without a hitch! this charity event was led by my friend and trainer, lizz. she organized this event where hundreds of fitness fanatics banded together to raise money for no more victims and to complete an entire mile of burpees. no more victims is an organization that helps children that have been sexually abused. i couldn’t think of a greater cause to be a part of. it truly was an honor to participate in the burpee mile.

i arrived at murray park bright and early at 8 AM saturday morning to set up for the event.  there were balloons to blow up, banners to hang, swag to unload, signs to scribble on, tables to arrange, tents to pitch, stages to assemble, and much, much, more. there were lots of helpers young and old scrambling to get things organized before registration.

NewImageNewImageNewImageNewImage

nikki hauled big ol’ bags of bagels to the refreshment area while neil and wes discussed the logistics of the burpee mile.

NewImage

amy, amanda, and nikki were glowing. no, really.

NewImage

shortly before registration opened, lizz had us gather together for a quick meeting.

photo courtesy suz martin

you may see an organized sparkle in lizz’s eye as she told us how to man our stations.. but really, she was just telling us the difference of a T and an X when we marked it on participants’ wristbands.

NewImage

i kid.. lizz was so flipping organized and this whole thing could never have happened without her skills!

i managed to run over to say hello to the folks at the fitmixer tent–they were there sampling the aminos!

NewImage

it was 9:30 AM in the blink of an eye, and i was in charge of same-day registration. i had no idea what i was doing, don’t let the officialness of that computer in front of me fool you…

NewImage

it was fun to see familiar faces show up throughout the morning, including my main ladies, kerryne and amanda, and my friend alicia from fitmixer!

NewImageNewImage

the participants were rolling in! it was great! teresa got everyone warmed up with a little zumba before the mile.

photo courtesy suz martin

after the warm-up sesh, there was a flag ceremony and then lizz welcomed everyone. neil went on to explain how the burpees of the burpee mile would be executed.

NewImage

we took a minute to slap on some burpee mile temporary tattoos before the starting whistle went off.

NewImageNewImageNewImage

mo & i were sharing a rag for our tats.. we were necking ;)

NewImage

as i mentioned, i am injured and so i couldn’t physically do any of the burpees for the burpee mile. i can honestly say that i was bummed about the situation. but it did give me a chance to take lots of rad photos of everyone ELSE doing burpees!  the area for burpees was a stretch running west to east along the park. to complete an entire mile, participants had to go down and back 6.5 times!NewImage

it was cool because several sponsors were able to take a shift to lead the burpees and every representative had a little bit of a different twist on how they led the pack. i loved seeing the variation!

enoch from crossfit race led for awhile. he’s super tall, so he covered a lot of distance pretty quick!

NewImage

alicia and the fitmixer crew took charge for a bit.

NewImage

when candice from body of a mother took the lead, she declared that everyone was to do their burpees “WITH THE CLAP!” (meaning clapping over your head when you jump. there is a debate whether or not burpees should be done with the clap, but she is super clap happy!)

NewImage

neil, who is ANTI-clap, tried his best to intercept.

NewImage

but then the two of them came to an agreement with a mid-air-high-five.

NewImage

at one point burpee-cartwheels were being busted out. it was amazing.

NewImage

all the while, lizz was up on stage announcing winner after winner for the plethora of prizes donated by the sponsors!

NewImage

meg and damon helped hold down the registration fort and made sure to help anyone who came to them with questions.

NewImage

and all the kiddos were playing in the bounce house. i’m kinda sad i didn’t take advantage of that thing..

NewImage

there was a weighted vest going around from person to person during the mile. as if burpees weren’t already bad enough, right?!

go, amanda, go!

NewImage

here are some more action shots from the mile!

cute sid & bethany.

tara is my lil’ frog!

kym’s got hops!

NewImage

kerryne and amanda burpeeing in unison.

NewImage

and i saved my FAVORITE for last.. amanda was comin’ to get me!

haha. love it.

amanda and nikki won a pair of utes tickets and they were super stoked.. stoked enough to chest bump about it!

NewImage

after the mile was over, the fun kept on going! there were plenty of sponsor booths set up giving out antioxidant scans, free massages, and custom shoe insert molding (i got a pair!) and, of course, there was lots of food to refuel the participants.

NewImage

there was a little bit of burpee aftermath.. you’d think candice would learn NOT to wear shorts from the time we did the burpee half mile.. but no, she did not learn. yikes.

NewImage

best shirt award goes to neil. i have one of these on order. because you KNOW any time you talk to someone about burpees, they say, “i hate burpees!”

NewImage

it was so fun to gather everyone together for a good cause!

NewImage

amanda, me, and kerryne–so glad they came!

NewImage

me with some of my favorite GPPeeps!

NewImage

thanks to all these awesome sponsors (plus many more!) who made this event so fantastic!

NewImage

if you have a minute, check out lizz’s musings recapping the burpee mile. she’s one amazing lady.

thank you all who donated to no more victims and those of you who remotely participated in the burpee mile. it’s always so fun to pull together for a greater good. it’s amazing how much impact a group can have when each individual chips in just a little bit of time, effort, and five bucks. i am floored by the turnout for, participation in, and outcome of the burpee mile! unbelievable!

lots of love.

Cara @ I Don't Believe in Diets October 21, 2012 at 9:15 pm

The burpee mile event looked amazing. Great job helping out. Bummer you couldn’t do it, but I am sure it will become a regular thing! I also suffer from tendonitis so I get it.

Bonnie October 21, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Awesome job by everyone – volunteers, participants, sponsors – what an amazing event! Curious to know…with that many people but also the walking-to-farthest-jump method, how long did it take?

I’m working on my recap right now! Although I was solo, I had a great time doing it! Thanks for inspiring me to go for it! In fact, my mom also did the event last minute to commemorate her 55th birthday today down in CA – and we got the exact same time! Weird, hey?! :D

Janetha October 21, 2012 at 10:19 pm

OMG that is crazy! I cannot wait to read your recap!! I honestly am not sure how long it was.. around an hour, a little more with the breaks. It was about 300 burpees in all! I thought it would be more. Your mom is awesome!! So are you!

Corrie Anne October 21, 2012 at 10:17 pm

What an amazing event!!! Yay fitmixer Alicia! The clapping controversy cracks me up!!

Neil October 22, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Clapping a burpee is hideous. I will NEVER! Back in the day, I used to teach them with a clap. Every time I did, I secretly deserved a punch in the nuts because they are so cheesy and stupid. Whats next??? clapping your situps? Snapping your biceps curls? – It’s dumb.

Nik October 21, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Loved this post JanetHa!! xo

Janetha October 22, 2012 at 7:56 am

i love youuuuu

Erica October 22, 2012 at 2:47 am

Seriously- what an amazing event! You got SUCH great photos too. Glad it was a success. The high five is my fav

emma October 22, 2012 at 3:42 am

what a fabulous, if not painful event! It looks like everyone had a great time!

Heidi kokborg October 22, 2012 at 4:47 am

Great post Love all the pictures :)

Lauren October 22, 2012 at 6:25 am

What a great idea!!! I do hate burpees but I think this would be a great way to mix things up. Love it!

Janetha October 22, 2012 at 7:56 am

haha mix things up? i don’t think this will be a regular thing.. it was more of a physical challenge to remember the sexually abused children who we were raising money for have it MUCH worse :(

allie October 22, 2012 at 6:27 am

That’s awesome, glad to see the burpee mile went off perfectly! For someone who hates burpees, it sure looks like a lot of fun! I’m interested in hearing how everyone feels now

Janetha October 22, 2012 at 7:55 am

I have heard a lot of sore backs and quads! haha

Neil October 22, 2012 at 10:28 pm

AND SHOULDERS!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean October 22, 2012 at 6:37 am

nice!!! love this event. so fun!

Mihaila October 22, 2012 at 6:53 am

I LOVE your hair Janetha.

Janetha October 22, 2012 at 7:55 am

Thank you so much!

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie October 22, 2012 at 7:06 am

what a great cause! and the sponsor list is incredible! What a fun way to raise money and get everyone involved (and moving at the same time!)
I LOVEE the “burpees hate you too” shirt. I mayyy have said that a few times in my life haha

Katie October 22, 2012 at 7:36 am

I actually looked through all your pictures from the GPP link last night! I loved them all…such happy faces. Candice cracks me right up with her facial expressions…I hope she comes to BLEND! (Oh and I love you and hope your feet are getting better and better by the second)

Janetha October 22, 2012 at 7:55 am

Thanks, baber. THey really are! They feel so much better! ANd cand will for sure be at BLEND :) Fun fact, she lives two blocks from me. So that’s good.

Sidney October 22, 2012 at 7:53 am

Such an awesome event! I was do glad to be apart of it!! Thanks for all u did! Loved seeing your cute face! I miss u!

Mollie @Sprinkles of Life October 22, 2012 at 8:26 am

Looks like the event went awesome! Woulda been so fun to be there! Too bad Iowa is so far from Utah :( lol

Paige @ Your Trainer Paige October 22, 2012 at 8:45 am

What fun! Great pictures. And super cool that Fitmixer was there!!

Carly @ Snack Therapy October 22, 2012 at 9:03 am

What an incredible event! The fact that everybody is smiling in the pics proves that it must have been a great event. Burpees alone don’t make smiles like that :).

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 22, 2012 at 9:53 am

these shots are AWESOME! i know you’re bummed you couldn’t participate, but you did so much to help raise awareness for an amazing cause. there will be more burpees!

Janetha October 22, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Jentry Nielsen October 22, 2012 at 10:24 am

I LOVE porcupine!!! I live in St. George, but anytime I come up north I always try to make a trip there, the food is good, the beer is plentiful and the atmosphere is always fun!
The burpee mile sounds like it went awesome! what a fun idea to raise money and get everyone involved! They should start making it an annual thing!

Janetha October 22, 2012 at 4:34 pm

yum, yes! it’s oktoberfest there now and i had the best pumpkin ale.

the delicate place October 22, 2012 at 10:38 am

soo many burpees! i cannot imagine the sore factor a couple days later oooph! yeah my weekend was crazy too…i feel like the walking dead right now!

what a great cause though! also, i love your purple WUs! tres cute :)

Janetha October 22, 2012 at 4:34 pm

thank you!

natalie@thesweetslife October 22, 2012 at 11:04 am

not only does this sound like a fantastic event but i’m kind of obsessed with the tshirts! love the design!

Lindsay's List October 22, 2012 at 11:52 am

I want to meet ALL of these people!!!!
And do you have any of those shirts left over? I’ll buy one!

Janetha October 22, 2012 at 4:33 pm

The burpee mile shirt? Yes they are ordering a batch today–if you want one let me know.. they are $20+tax :)

Annette@FitnessPerks October 22, 2012 at 11:55 am

That event looks awesome! I want to do a burpee mile just for ‘fun’ now. I am sad I had to miss this :( Glad you all had a blast!

Lindsay October 22, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I know you love a good random holiday. Just thought you should know- TODAY IS INTERNATIONAL CAPS LOCK DAY :-)

Janetha October 22, 2012 at 4:33 pm

OH MY! i wish i had known all day! i could have been so annoying at work.

ANDREA @andi and her candy October 22, 2012 at 2:56 pm

i shared that picture of Neil in his shirt with a link to your post.

#1 – I think one of the several gyms I work for should do a similar race.

#2 – I need that shirt.

Hope that is ok!! I linked the picture back to your blog!!

Janetha October 22, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Of course it’s OK :) I am ordering one of those shirts today! If you want one, I am sure I can order one for you. They are $25:)

Michelle October 24, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Is there a link available to order the ‘burpees hate you too’ t-shirt? While wall-balls are my actual nemesis and (by comparison alone) I rather enjoy burpees, I do love that shirt!! Thanks!

recipemirror October 25, 2012 at 8:19 am

I would also like to know where I can buy those t-shirts. I NEED one for me and one for my brother!

Janetha October 25, 2012 at 10:06 am

they aren’t really for sale, but my gym is ordering some for those who want them. if it is not too late, i can see if i can get some ordered for you.

recipemirror October 25, 2012 at 9:05 pm

That would be awesome! Thanks for checking. :)

Janetha October 25, 2012 at 10:12 am

There isn’t a link.. one of the trainers at GPP prints shirts on the side, so she made one just for the event. A few people wanted them, so we ordered them on Monday. If it is not too late to order again, I will let you know. I will tel her some people want to order one!

Michelle October 25, 2012 at 11:36 am

That would be so rad~ thank you, Janetha, very much for your time and effort! :)

Janetha October 26, 2012 at 9:34 am

Hey! Meg (the girl who orders them) is out for the week due to surgery. I will ask her next time I see her!:)

Calee October 22, 2012 at 3:10 pm

sitting on the sidelines is sometimes lots of fun when you’ve got a camera in hand.

weighted vest? yikes. Also, I want that ‘burpees hate you too” shirt. ;)

Heather @ Better With Veggies October 22, 2012 at 3:56 pm

This looks like so much fun through all the pain it had to be to get through a mile of burpees – great recap!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 22, 2012 at 7:22 pm

That’s such a great event! I love the jumping high five, definitely one way to make burpees more fun.

Purelytwins October 22, 2012 at 8:15 pm

amazing! truly amazing

looked like a blast

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner October 22, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Oh my gosh. This look absolutely AMAZING!!! I’m so jealous. That must have been a lot of fun! I’m glad you had a great time. :)

Janetha October 26, 2012 at 9:31 am

recipemirror October 26, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Thanks for following up. Best wishes to Meg.