fashion friday.

by Janetha on May 18, 2012

in random rambles

friday! love it.

so, sad news (but nothing tragic), marshall got home last night and was absolutely BEAT from a long day on the job. that meant one thing—he didn’t want to go to the tastemakers event. LUCKILY it is a two day event, but i was hoping to spread the event over both nights (and get two dinners out of it—ha!) while i was disappointed, it wasn’t that big of a deal. he said we will just have to really pig out when we go tonight. no complaints! i have my pigging out shoes on and am ready to enjoy the event tonight.

because i didn’t go out last night, i was able to tune into my fitmixer bootcamp conference call—the first one! every thursday night we will have a conference call where ALL fifty participants and three leaders call in and talk about things. as you can imagine, it has the potential to get pretty wild. luckily last night’s call went really smoothly with no technical glitches or people talking over each other. it was actually pretty cool to call in and listen to our bootcamp leaders talk to us. since we all live in different states, this is the next best option to being in a room together.

anyway, enough about all that, onto today’s topic: fashion. i don’t think of myself as super fashionable. yes, i can dress myself, but that’s about it. i am not hip with all the latest trends and i definitely couldn’t be your personal shopper, but i do try to look put together on a daily basis. i am (not in a creepy way) obsessed with jess, and she ALWAYS posts the cutest outfit photos on instagram. awhile back, i decided to totally bite her style and started posting outfit shots of my own. yes, i admit to being a complete copy cat—i don’t even care. it’s a fun way to share different looks AND it motivated me to make an effort to actually get ready (most days…)

i posted several fashion shots on my own instagram feed and had people telling me i needed to do fashion posts here on the blog. i laughed at the comments, because honestly—like i said before—i am not mrs. fashionable. with that said, i do like fashion.. and chances are, some of you do, too. on top of the requests for me to do fashion posts, other people asked me to blog about where i got certain clothing items. so, in true truly jess fashion (double meaning there!), here is a little fashion friday action for you all.

a day at the office.
dress: bohme boutique
belt: old navy
shoes: st john’s bay via jcpenney
6-in-1 bracelet / necklace: jcpenney / jcpenney
earrings: the creator’s creations via etsy

sunday baby shower.
top: h&m
camisole: victoria’s secret
skirt: RVCA via dogfunk (old)
shoes: steve madden (old, similar)
bracelets: aldo & kohl’s
necklace: target
earrings: the creator’s creations via etsy

workout wear.
tank: nike via ross ($7!)
fitness skort: calvin klein via marshall’s–sorry couldn’t find it online
shoes: vibram via REI

another day at the office.
top: love on a hanger via nordstrom rack
blazer: free hug via nordstrom rack
gray pants: element via dogfunk (old)
nude flats: target
necklace: urban blues (local utah boutique)

oh, look, more office attire.
blazer: free hug via nordstrom rack
shirt: h&m (old)
black skinnies: forever 21
earrings: peach treats via etsy
necklace: old/don’t remember!
bracelets: kohl’s and the chunky one was a gift from jess (from see jewelry online via etsy)

lazy day at the office.
top: love by design via nordstrom rack
black skinnies: forever 21
owl necklace: forever 21 (old)
black flats: soda (got them in palm springs!)
bracelets: kohl’s & gift from jess (see above for links)
earrings: loyalty tattoos (old)

weekend wear.
top: urban outfitters (old)
sweats: victoria’s secret (campus pant)
headband: lululemon
flip flops: old navy (they are now in the trash, they got eaten by a pup!)
plugs: iris body piercing

wow. that actually took a lot more time and effort than i’d expected. props to you ladies who list and link your outfits on a daily basis! i also noticed all the brands of clothing i bought from nordstrom rack have to do with loving or hugging. weird.

i might do another one of these outfit roundup posts in the future.. let me know if you’d be into that.

random thought of the day—sometimes the “spilling over” staged photos really drive me bonkers.

NewImage(source nola.com)

okay—most of the time. do you know the ones i am talking about? the ones with a protein shake or salad dressing or peanut butter spilling casually over the container said item is in?  i have to say, jessica and ashley are REALLY good at making it work, but most photographers are just… not. it’s an artsy task, and not everyone can pull it off. and i don’t know why they would try to. for one, why do you want your liquid spilling over the side of your glass to begin with? does that make it look more appetizing? and for two, most of the time it just looks unnatural.. like it was a bad accident and you decided to grab the camera. because in real life, you probably don’t fill your smoothie glass so full that it ends up in a puddle on your table. there are exceptions. i think this photo did a great job of the spilling over thing. but then there are photos where it just looks like a bad accident and the liquid is in a puddley (made that word up) mess like this make me shake my head and wonder, “why?” (note: i love the blogs of both those photos just linked. i am not bashing the bloggers or blogs that do this! i love 99.99% of their photos. just the particular type of photo makes me crazy, and it’s 100% just my opinion! peace and love.)  i am pretty sure i tried to do this once or twice when i first saw it everywhere in blog land (i tried to find one i posted awhile back but that proved to be too time consuming), and then i realized that it was the messiest, most ridiculous food styling trial and error ever. (most of my food styling attempts end up in error, i am no pro.) and now it’s just waaay overdone. anyway, i had that random thought because i saw both of those linked photos in my google reader today.

and on that note, i guess i will go ahead and publish this! have a wonderful weekend!!

1. what is your favorite clothing store?

2. how do you feel about the “spilling over” food photographs?

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 18, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I love H&M but it can always be hit or miss. It’s cheap like forever 21, but the skirts are long enough for work… And that spilling over photo is driving me crazy. I just want to grab some paper towels.

Natalie @ will jog for food May 18, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Love your outfits! I especially am in love with that owl necklace :)

Not sure what my fave store is… Lately I’ve been digging Express and H&M. Five years ago I would have said Forever 21, hehe.

Kerryne May 18, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I am not sure how I feel about the spilling over photos. In all honesty it makes me feel like I need to clean it up! ;)

My favorite stores are Marshall’s and Ross, I am cheap!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes May 18, 2012 at 6:44 pm

A conference call? This bootcamp is sounding cooler all the time.
Those pictures crack me up. I do think they can be super beautiful but I wouldn’t fault someone for never wanting to do. It’s messy and you do waste some food. If I had any food photography talent (I do not) I’m pretty sure I’d never do it.

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau May 18, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Spillover shots bug me, too. All I can do is think about what a pain it must be to clean up. I had one spillage picture once, and it was all attributed to clumsiness. Cleaning it up would have made one big smudgy mess. Maybe that’s how some of the spillover shots happen????

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats May 18, 2012 at 7:28 pm

You’re so cute girl! :) My favorite clothing store is Lululemon I’d say. I think the spilling over shots are dumb. Why waste time having to clean up all that mess?!

Annie May 18, 2012 at 7:30 pm

My favorite clothing stores are TJ Maxx and Kohls. I love the bargain hunt! Also, spillover pics don’t bother me, but I always get distracted by thinking how sticky the glass/bowl must be.

tara May 18, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I hate the spilling over thing.

First of all, a smoothie spilling over? Why? Are they going to lick it off the table? All I see is a mess + a waste of smoothie.

Another one on a well known blog recently: runny eggs…in an egg cup with the yolk spilling over over the glass cup. All I see is a mess of the best part (the runny yolk which will dry up right away and stick to the glass, what a waste). It bothers me . I know its silly , but I mean, sure its a photo and a food blog and stuff, but the food is meant to be eaten right? Like, I don’t get it. It’s just a waste.

Alex @ therunwithin May 18, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Ok, I wish I had your fashion sense. I mean i love all of those outfits and accessories. Dress me please? haha .

jaglangham May 18, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Your outfits are adorable and so are you! :) Love your blog.

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell May 18, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I think some spill over is okay…but most of the time, no. It often looks messy and sloppy. I think Helene Dujardin does a really good job with it- but that’s because she’s a super professional :)

I often wonder what they do with the food after it’s spilled over- especially when people make shakes and top with whipped cream and chocolate syrup all spilling over the sides. So, do you eat that or just throw it away? Because there’s NO way you can save that for later!

Mary Legare Whaley May 18, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I like your style. 2 thumbs up! My favorite clothing store is Anthropologie. It’s one of the few stores that makes clothes that fit me. A 0 or XSmall fits perfectly, whereas my old go-to store (J.Crew) now makes 00 and XXsmall, both of which are too big on me now. I hate how the clothing industry caters to the growing population…(cough cough, fat people). Yet, I wear a Small in all Nike clothes and can’t even squeeze into their XSmall. I guess fatties don’t wear brand name workout gear? I’m not a fan of overflow photos. I just want to grab a paper towel and start wiping up the mess! That beer photo is killing me. I want to clean it up so bad…

Greta @ Staying Lost May 19, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I understand the frustration of not finding clothes that fit, but is it really necessary to refer to everyone who doesn’t wear a size 00 as a “fatty”?

Mary Legare Whaley May 20, 2012 at 7:12 am

Oh gosh no! That does make me sound like a jerk. What I mean by that is their sizing overall hasn’t been inflated to meet the demands of our growing wastelines. I’m only 5’2″, so naturally, I’m small. It’s just really sad to go shopping and rarely find fun clothes that fit me. “Fatty” was just my angry word. I apologize for getting too heated.

Missy May 18, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I am glad you did this as I was one of those peeps saying you should blog (or have a fashion tab too) I think you do have style so don’t sell yourself short! If you had no fashion sense, you wouldn’t pick up that Jess has it :)

I love Chicos but also TJ Maxx or Ross (as those 2 are more in my budget!). I would love H&M but we don’t have one near and they don’t sell online.

There are a few “spillove” pics that are good as they create an effect – but too many just look sloppy, so why bother?

Marlow May 18, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Yay fashion post! As an Instagram follower, I am excited you have carried this over to your blog!

And I also hate the spillover shots! Some are done well, but others just look like mess!!

Heather @ Fit Mama Real Food May 18, 2012 at 8:59 pm

You always look so put together! Loving the first dress especially.

Enjoy the chow down event tonight with your boy :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn May 18, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I am SWOOONING // dying over your bracelets. I love accessories. It’s a problem. #brokecollegestudent

Kendra May 18, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I find spill over shots pretty funny, they’re like food eroticism. I feel bashful looking at them, like I’ve interrupted something.

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva May 18, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Did my address come through? I agree about the spilling over thing…don’t think it’s necessary and can look kind of messy. Love all the fashion photos though…way more put together than me :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 18, 2012 at 10:01 pm

You’re freaking adorable! And I just love that hand print tshirt SO much! I may just have to make one!

My favorite store is a consignment shop called Crossroads Trading!

Sarah May 18, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Cute clothes, girl! The spilling shots make me cringe because there are far too many spills (and couch stains) around here for my liking.

Have a super weekend!

elaine c. May 18, 2012 at 10:45 pm

to be honest, i don’t think i have a favorite clothing store! i haven’t been shopping for new clothes in a VERY long time…so long that i don’t even feel comfortable guessing how long it’s been. that said, i’ve been looking online at anthropologie and wishing i had gobs of $$ to spend on all the cute tops that they have!

i’ve never really thought about the spilling over photos, but now that you mention it, they are kind of annoying! i never fill my glass/bowl that full because duh, it spills over and then you just have a big mess!

love the fashion pics (i’m totally not fashionable and have no idea what looks good together), please keep them coming :)

Ellen Clifford May 18, 2012 at 11:15 pm

I find some pretty genius stuff at the Hollywood goodwill…
And yeah, I hate the spilling pix too!
Love the fashion shoots, btw. I’m totally addicted to a few fashion blogs!

Neil May 18, 2012 at 11:28 pm

You have a cool style.

Jess @ Truly.Into.Fitness May 18, 2012 at 11:41 pm

YAY!!! A Fashion post from a fashionable gal!! So glad you did this!! :) Love seeing you dress up because you always look so cute! Even in workout clothes!! :) And I honestly feel honoured every time you even mention or comment on my stuff :) Love you for that!

And OMG I KNOW!! Jess and Ashley really do amazing job with the “spilling pics” but some…yikes! Just not pretty!

Carbzilla May 19, 2012 at 12:44 am

Pigging out SHOES? Omg, you slay me. I die. Big love and hugs from here. Happy weekend!

Paula @ Fit Chick Soon May 19, 2012 at 1:51 am

Favourite clothing stores for me is Top Shop and Next in the UK.

I haven’t really thought about the spilling pictures before, but now I am only going to ever see them as annoying, unless artfully done :)

Love, love, love your dress in “a day at the office” bohme boutique. Your pictures are amazingly taken, do you use your phone or a proper camera? and I love the way you do your photo galleries!

Have a great weekend.

Angela @ Sleep and Repeat May 19, 2012 at 4:48 am

I love your style! Especially the striped drapey top – so cute :)

Brittany May 19, 2012 at 5:26 am

Your outfits are super cute and make me wish I had a Nodstrom Rack nearby my house!

I’ve tried the spillover styling as well but I don’t like it. Everything I take photos of I’m planning to eat and I don’t want to waste any of it – especially if it’s a smoothie with expensive protein powder. Lol.

Joy May 19, 2012 at 6:07 am

I will admit that my favorite store (or type of store) is thrift shops for clothes – but I have to like a few things all at once because I take them from there to the laundromat (I have a washer dryer at home but want things clean before I bring them in my house)
And as for spilling pictures nope I hate them – they kick my OCD into overdrive

Lee May 19, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I like your fashion posts.

I mostly shop at The Gap and Old Navy. Oh and Target. I’d like to dress better though. I just need to stop shopping at these stores!

Lisa May 19, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I wonder what they do with the stuff they spill after? Just eat it off the table? Hm, I like the looks of some that are really well done for sure! But, others can’t pull it off as well. I’m not a talented photographer, so that would be a no go for me. You have great style, my friend! I love all the accessories, if only I wasn’t poor I could go out and buy some, I love them

BroccoliHut May 20, 2012 at 8:22 am

LOVED this post! I recently posted a few outfits that I was packing for a wedding, and I found it really fun :) I’m like you–I don’t consider myself fashionable, but I have fun putting together outfits and admiring others’ ensembles :)

Favorite clothing store? I’ll pick two, one for dream-land, one for reality. I love Anthropologie, but I won’t be able to afford anything in there for at least another decade, I’m pretty sure. As for reality, I love Banana Republic.
I can’t say I’ve ever thought about spillage photos before–I think they mostly annoy me because I know I’m not skilled enough to take such photos!

Britta May 20, 2012 at 12:25 pm

i’ve been loving your outfit posts on instagram! i’ve been slacking on social media lately, so i liked this little update. i am obsessed with the fitness skort and will now be stalking marshall’s until i find something similar.

a little off-topic, but i wanted to tell you i have really been liking the fitmixer bootcamp updates, too. i think it’s interesting to hear about your experiences with the different fitness programs. i can’t imagine what a call with 50 different people muting/un-muting/talking at the same time must be like but it’s cool that is part of the plan!

Amy May 20, 2012 at 5:40 pm

cute outfits! im loving all the accessories…and that calvin klien skort..so cute!

meggi May 20, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Cute photos! I am definitely not into fashion… at all! I just wear what I like and what makes me feel good. Last year, I bought this long flowy dress and fell in love with it. So this year, I went and bought 2 more. I love them because it’s like wearing pajamas… AND i don’t have to wear a bra. This weekend, my friend told me she just read that they are the new “in” thing for summer. I about freaked out because I don’t want to wear the “in” thing! I don’t want to be trendy, I just want to wear a dress that feels like pajamas! …. END RANT :)

Janetha May 21, 2012 at 9:17 am

Dude. My life in the summer is pajama dresses with no bra. If I can get away with no bra, I do it.

Kait @ yogabeautylife May 21, 2012 at 6:46 pm

You are definitely a bit of a fashionista…I always think that when I see your clothes. You always look adorable, even when you work out. <–makes me despise you a little. ;) I loved this post…a little fluff is always fun!

glidingcalm May 22, 2012 at 4:13 pm

love your style!

brandi May 23, 2012 at 11:23 am

man, i wish we had better shopping here. i love that striped dress and your blazers/tops!

elise May 24, 2012 at 9:06 am

im SO with you on the spilling over staged photos…actually most of the staged recipe pics bother me. i guess its just a bit too cheesy and unnatural for me. i cant get over how much yummy stuff is being wasted by sprinkling things around featured plate/bowl/whatever…or dripping things over the sides of cups, etc. oh bloggers.