moving more in may.

by Janetha on May 10, 2012

in BLEND,fun with friends

hello! glad you all have been enjoying the blend retreat recaps. why am i glad? well, because i have more to post! i won’t waste any time diving into my recap of saturday’s double-whammy workout. i moved A LOT last saturday!!

fitmixer sponsored the bootcamp on saturday morning which was led by lindsay and tina.

our fitmixer friends brought bottles of fitmixer aminos for everyone to fill up on before the workout.

robin~steve~alicia

fitmixer’s #1 fan!

you all know i LOVE the fitmixer aminos, so i was excited for everyone to try it and let me know their thoughts! it seemed to be a hit with everyone. lindsay took a moment to explain the benefits of fitmixer aminos. they give you extra energy, aid in muscle repair, and help with oxygen circulation. plus they taste amazing!

we warmed up with a couple laps around the field, followed by a stretching session.IMG_2899IMG_3709IMG_2918

after a nice stretch, it was all business! lunges, squats, bicep curls and booty blastin’!

IMG_2939IMG_2940IMG_2933

for the second half of boot camp, we broke into groups and played a fun tennis ball game that tina blogged about here (along with the other moves she had us doing!) the game was REALLY fun, and the scenery made it even better! check out the backdrop of our bootcamp.

we all worked up an appetite during bootcamp, and luckily breakfast was just around the corner. saturday’s breakfast was sponsored by xagave and was absolutely, positively INCREDIBLE.

IMG_2960IMG_2994

amy and steve, our xagave reps, put a huge amount of effort into this breakfast. they paid close attention to detail and everything was perfect, right down to the matching condiment spoons.  they decided to have various stations for attendees to choose their meal from. each station incorporated xagave in some way.

the bread station had bagels and breads, nut butters, and peach and strawberry jams made with xagave.

IMG_2961IMG_2963

the yogurt station had chobani, fruit, nuts, nature’s indulgence lemon blueberry granola (best stuff ever! made with xagave!) and xagave for sweetening.

IMG_2971IMG_2973IMG_2967

the muffin station had both carrot cake and blueberry muffins made with xagave—steve, the owner of xagave, baked them himself! IMG_2979

the oatmeal station was packed with toppings including xagave, fruit, nut butters, and nuts.

IMG_2984IMG_2986

they also had individual bottles of xagave and bags of nature’s indulgence granola for attendees to take. so generous!

the drink station was sponsored by green mountain coffee. they provided a wide selection of k-cups and four keurig machines! this was my first experience using a keurig machine and i absolutely loved it.

steve said a few words to everyone about xagave and why it is a great alternative to sugar.

and then it was time to eat! everything was delicious—the peach jam was the jam!!

IMG_3017IMG_3024

thanks, xagave!

immediately after breakfast it was time to get ready to move again! we had a hike scheduled for 10:00 AM.  special thanks to our hike sponsor, the simply bar! they provided bars for all the hikers.

katie~ashley~gina

twins! me & lauren (her photo!)

050916

we packed our bags with simply bars and water and were on our merry way to hike the four mile (2 there, 2 back) trail to royal arch!

we could not have asked for better weather!

two above photos courtesy christine mccarthy

it was fun to chat with everyone while hiking along—stopping for a few photo ops along the way.

IMG_3717image
photos courtesy katie unger & ashley mclaughlin

the arch and the view from the top were both absolutely GORGEOUS!

imageimage
photos courtesy christine mccarthy and calee himes

on top of a mountain!!!

fueled by the simply bar!

IMG_3727image050900050920050923050931
photos courtesy lauren martin, katie unger, lena king

after admiring the beauty from the top of the hike, we slowly made our way back down. okay, i am just gonna say most of these photos are lauren’s instead of citing them all!

050927

of course i was the crazy dog lady and had to pick up bella for a photo op! what a good little hiker she was!

there were actually LOTS of dogs on the hike, i was in heaven. so were my other dog-crazed lady friends, tiffany and lauren.

050925

the view coming down was just as beautiful as the view going up!
050929

by the time we made it back to the missions house, it was nearly one o’clock! the time actually flew by on the hike and i was surprised at the time. even though i’d been going all morning long, there was no time to rest… we had more moving, eating, shopping, and hanging to do! which i will talk about next time. because, once again, this is real long.

in other news, today is the last day of the first trimester of move more in may! get your entries in and i will pick the winner of the fitmixer prize pack tomorrow! speaking of fitmixer, the bootcamp starts on monday. super excited! i got my meal plan today and i can’t wait to start the 12-week bootcamp next week!!

in more other news, i am still sick. had a fever last night and am still taking it easy (as in not working out at all, eating lots of soup and bread, and whining to marshall like it’s my job…) so i will hopefully be better before the weekend hits.

hope you all had a great thursday and HOORAY for friday tomorrow. that sure snuck up on me… time flies when you are playing catch up at work!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 10, 2012 at 6:32 pm

That hike looked like a blast – it’s one of my bucket list items to hike up a mountain!

Bria @ West of Pesia May 10, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Looks like Blend was a blast. I, too, ran a retreat this past weekend (Yoga retreat in Vermont). We hiked on Saturday, too! Retreats are a ton of work but incredibly worth it.
Hope you’re feeling better. I know what you mean about getting sick post-travel. Guess we need to “ease” back into the day-to-day routine. Easier said than done, of course.

Erica May 10, 2012 at 6:49 pm

You look SO cute in that little blue skirt! What a great, active day! Adore. I seriously am coming next year darn it. I hope Chobani sponsors again ;) Have a great night

Victoria May 10, 2012 at 6:52 pm

I love when companies are passionate and showcase it through events like Blend! So glad it was a huge success and I hope to join y’all next year!

Calee May 10, 2012 at 6:58 pm

OMG I am so glad you picked up that dog. I was going to. And then I didn’t because I didn’t want to be *that* person. I forgot I was among other crazy dog people.

PS You looked too cute to be hiking! That skirt is super cute.

cait May 10, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Hi Janetha – i’ve been reading your blog for a while now, never posted before, but I’m definitely a fan. I just felt the need to post tonight after reading your promotion of fitmixer. i totally understand that everyone is completely free to make their own decisions regarding their own health and fitness, and i also understand your desire to support a local company. however, I get really leery of claims like “they give you extra energy, aid in muscle repair, and help with oxygen circulation.” Because, well, they’re basically not true. Although a ton of research has been done into amino acid supplementation, many of the studies have been flawed in different ways, and used questionable techniques, and many of the purported benefits have not been certainly proven. What’s more some studies have even shown supplementation with certain amino acids may actually be ergolytic. A lot of companies promoting these supplements will conveniently choose one of the studies that have “proven” the benefits in order to promote their products, but usually it won’t be a well respected and well designed study. I did a quick search of the fitmixer website, and it only mentions one clinical study done at the University of Utah, but doesn’t mention the study’s name or any other identifying details….pretty vague. I just think its really important to keep those things in mind because a lot of these supplements have not been tested and shouldn’t be seen as performance enhancers when no one really has an idea what they do.

Janetha May 10, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Hey Cait! Thanks for your comment, for reading, and for your concern. I have a disclaimer here on meals & moves specifically because I am not a professional and I am simply sharing my life, what I enjoy, and what works for me personally. I have noticed a difference since incorporating BCAAs into my day (back in August 2011), and I definitely prefer fitmixer to other brands of aminos. However, it is up to each person to decide if they want to use supplementation at all. I have personally felt the benefits from the aminos–so I do know that it does something for me. But, like I said, I am not a professional.

I think I will ask fitmixer to reply to your comment. I really appreciate you commenting here with your thoughts on the matter, I think it’s important for people to be aware of the supplements they choose and also to remember that this blog is about what I personally choose and that my choices should not dictate their choices.

Thanks again for raising awareness and for your comment!

cait May 10, 2012 at 8:49 pm

thanks janetha for the thoughtful comment! I like how, as you say, it’s more about your own personal experience with these things. i am just SO wary of all these claims because you can’t read a fitness magazine without being bombarded by hundreds of ads and articles saying “this will give you extra energy!” “this help help you gain lean muscle mass!” etc when none of them are really true. i guess overall my problem is more with the FDA, since they don’t regulate these claims, and so companies can get away with murder. but i appreciate you being willing to talk about these things because it is so important. thanks again.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) May 10, 2012 at 8:08 pm

oh my gosh this looks SO FUN!!! I wish I could have been ther ebut love checking out the recaps and pics from you lovely ladies!

boston?!? next year?!?! :)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List May 10, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I want to eat the Xagave breakfast every single day for the rest of my life.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 10, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Is it weird that I’ve woken up every day this week disappointed that there wasn’t an amazing breakfast buffet? LOL!

There HAS been a fixmix drink to fuel my morning workouts every day. I’m hooked!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats May 10, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I am making a trip to Costco this weekend with a friend–hoping they have Fitmixer there. If not I will be ordering it off of the website. lol. The hike looks like such a blast! :)

Sarah May 10, 2012 at 10:04 pm

You are making me so sad I wasn’t there. You can make it up to me by coming to Portland ASAP.

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish May 10, 2012 at 11:11 pm

I am so so SO impressed by the effort and hard work you, Lindsay and Katie poured in to Blend Retreat! Every recap I’ve read has basically said the same thing: that you put together the BEST blogging event ever. :-D Reading about all the fun that was had makes me sad I wasn’t able to join you, but excited that I’ll be part of it next year. Are you hoping to hold it in Boulder again?

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva May 10, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I love hiking! Time always goes so quickly when the scenery is gorgeous and company is great. I would have gone nuts seeing the dogs along the trails a well…love my four legged friends…and love my two legged friends too so hope you feel better soon!!!

Emily May 11, 2012 at 2:43 am

Wow the scenery looks fantastic, especially with such beautiful weather! I wouldn’t know where to start with all that amazing breakfast food, yum! After seeing all your photographs and gaining an insight into your blend retreat, it has really inspired me get out and move more. Thank you Janetha, xo

Tina @ Best Body Fitness May 11, 2012 at 5:24 am

That lemon blueberry granola? I love love love love love love love it. I wish I had a 5 lb bag now and mourned the loss of yours for you.

katie May 11, 2012 at 5:25 am

I hope you feel better love, I was sick as well and luckily fought that crap off hard! I had no voice for 2 days, haha!

Love you and miss you much!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning May 11, 2012 at 5:59 am

I’m sorry you’re still so sick- that sucks!! Hopefully some R&R will help!
Love the photos (and no, not just the ones I took). And that breakfast on Saturday morning was so impressive- I still remember every bite and detail of it. I thought it was really great of Steve to take the time to talk to us about Xagave because I actually knew nothing about agave nectar in general, even though I’ve used it quite a bit. I have to echo what Tina said about the granola, too!!
And man, I’m kind of obsessed with fitmixer now. Greg has taken Aminos before working out for years, and the kind he uses makes me gag. But I actually love the taste of fitmixer and look forward to using it! I was going on an on about it to my spin and bodypump classes the other night- and now they want it too! I would LOVE to do the bootcamp, but again- that whole teaching 6-7 classes a week thing gets in the way.
TGIF- Hope you woke up feeling a bit better!! xoxo

Katy Widrick May 11, 2012 at 6:57 am

SO jealous…can’t wait to hear about next year’s plans!

Nicole May 11, 2012 at 7:03 am

It looks like Blend was a BLAST! I want to try Fitmixer now!

Hope you feel better soon!

Sana May 11, 2012 at 7:07 am

I really hope I get to come next year!

Tamara May 11, 2012 at 7:09 am

Feel better soon, sweetie! That breakfast spread was amaaaaazing!

Shaunna Ulrick May 11, 2012 at 8:23 am

I can’t wait to start the bootcamp either :)

Annette@FitnessPerks May 11, 2012 at 8:48 am

What a fabulous looking hike!! I LOVE the mountains. Great pics too :)

Feel better!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen May 11, 2012 at 9:09 am

That breakfast was UH-mazing. I’m wondering if Ashley has been contacted by The Simply Bar yet for her awesome model pose?

Becky@MunchingVeggies May 11, 2012 at 9:51 am

I am so anxious to get my fitmixer package! I signed up for the Bootcamp this week (procrastinator) and just under the gun – because it filled up! So excited to get started!

Hope you fully recover and are in tip top shape for it come Monday morning!

Presley @ Run Pretty May 11, 2012 at 10:46 am

Just wondering… what bottoms are you wearing on the hike? I love them!

Jenn May 11, 2012 at 10:48 am

Where did you get that turquoise skirt from? I love it!

meggi May 11, 2012 at 11:49 am

Wow! Such a beautiful setting for yalls fun weekend! :) Excited to hear about the rest!

Lisa May 11, 2012 at 1:09 pm

That hike looks absolutely gorgeous! What a pretty view. That is incredibly generous and awesome of those companies to sponsor the event!

Kristi @ Sweetly Fit May 11, 2012 at 5:10 pm

That looks like a blast! I love all the outdoor exercise going on. With the nice weather, it’s been hard for me to stay in at all. I love it! Hope you feel better pronto and get to enjoy the weekend!

Rachel May 13, 2012 at 8:58 am

Can I just say your arms are looking seriously toned? Great inspiration!