things i use & love: round four.

by Janetha on January 25, 2012

in product review

hello and happy wednesday evening! we’ve made it half way through the work week. i always love wednesday nights because thursdays and fridays at my office are way more mellow than the first half of the week.

today was busier than most wednesdays.. i am constantly trying to mark things off my to-do list, both at work and my personal one, before i head out of town.

after a jam packed day at the office, i headed to the gym for a livefit workout.  i am currently pulling workouts from week 12 of livefit trainer. last week i was pulling workouts from week 10. there is no real rhyme or reason to my workout schedule right now.. the important thing is that i am getting to the gym and getting it done. i did modify this workout a bit because the gym was crowded, but i focused on all the same body parts as the original workout called for.

here’s today’s routine.. i completed each move, one after the other, for a total of 140 consecutive reps. i then rested for a few minutes before completing the circuit again, for a total of 4 times through. since these were giant sets with high reps, i used lighter weights.

• barbell deadlift: 60# x 20 reps
  • bent over barbell row: 40# x 20 reps
  • assisted wide grip pull up: 100# assistance x 20 reps
  • close grip seated row: 60# x 20 reps
  • hyperextension: 25# plate (holding) x 20 reps
  • captain’s chair leg raises: body weight x 20 reps
  • bicycle crunches: body weight x 20 reps each side, alternating

i finished off my workout with 30 minutes on the stationary bike while reading SELF. gosh, what a shitty magazine, it’s so boring. won’t be renewing my subscription.

i had errands to run and didn’t get home til about 8:30, so dinner was a late one tonight.. we didn’t eat until after 9 PM. that’s how things are in this house most of the time! i picked the quickest and easiest meal ever: soup & sandwiches.

IMG 9695

creamy tomato soup and turkey, goat cheese, and cheddar paninis, to be exact.

IMG 9700

i love this panini press! it was a gift from my good friend, danica.

IMG 9680

speaking of appliances.. i thought it would be a great time for another round of things i use & love! this installment is electric appliances.

we have a LOT of appliances. more than necessary, that’s for sure. and more than we use. there are a few appliances in the garage, collecting dust. but there are a handful that i use regularly, some daily! here they are.

kitchen aid stand mixer.

IMG 9709

this was actually given to me. it used to be marshall’s grandmas. she passed away a few months after we started dating and his grandpa was nice enough to give me the mixer.  i know i lucked out since these appliances are around $300. with the amount of baking i do, this thing comes in SO handy. it also has a lot of functions and attachments that i don’t utilize.. for instance: it can make bread dough or pasta. maybe one of these days i will hop on one of those wagons. just not today. tomorrow doesn’t look good either.

coffee grinder & electric kettle.

IMG 9689IMG 9681

i use these two appliances every single morning! i brew my coffee using a french press, so fresh ground coffee and quick boiling water are key components. the grinder is a cusinart ($50) and the kettle is from costco–it was around $25.

food processor.

NewImage

marshall got me this for our first dating anniversary back in 2008. i probably don’t use this as much as i should, only because i am lazy. yes, that’s what it comes down to. pulling it out and using it to chop things isn’t ideal. however, this appliance is awesome for making homemade hummus, peanut butter, salsa, sauces, and.. the way i use it the most.. to make my own ground chicken/turkey/beef.  WAY better than buying it pre-ground at the grocery store! i was even too lazy to pull it out for a photo, so the one above is recycled from an old post.

mini food chopper.

IMG 9714

marshall just barely got me this little guy for christmas because i was always complaining about pulling the big food processor out for small tasks. this appliance has been great so far! i have used it at least a dozen times since christmas. i make my own bread crumbs, chop vegetables, and make graham cracker crust for my protein cheesecakes that i have been making like crazy. yes, recipe coming soon.

vitamix.

NewImage

(photo circa march 2010)

oh.. my vitamix. a hand-me-down from momma b over five years ago. i have used this over and over and over to make hundreds of smoothies. however, i know it can do a lot more. the way people talk about vitamixes, you’d think they could fold your laundry and find a cure for cancer. or at least make you soup. but i just use it for smoothies, protein ice cream, and the occasional batch of mama pea’s mmm sauce.

on the downside, i was blending up a shake the other day.. sunday, i think it was.. and SPARKS started flying from the base of my blender.. where the base and container connect. i quickly turned it off and checked out the situation. looks like a metal whosamawhat broke off the thingamajig and caused sparks to fly. yikes. check out the aftermath:

IMG 9706

so now i am in the market for a new blender.. however, my friend casey pointed out that i might have a warranty on the ol’ vitamix. after all your tips on my last post about how i could have taken my buyer’s remorse bedspread back to kohl’s, used and all, i think i should look into this warranty thing before dropping another $400 on a blender.

well, i could keep going about the appliances i use and love.. but i think six is enough for tonight. looking at that list, i realized i lucked out quite a bit. of all the appliances i named, i only bought one myself (the kettle.) the rest were gifts or hand-me-downs. goes to show that appliances make great gifts!

in case you want to check the other installments of things i use & love out.. here they are:

check ya later alligators!

1. what is your most used electric appliance?

2. what appliance is on your wish list?

Christin@purplebirdblog January 26, 2012 at 10:47 am

My favorite kitchen appliances are definitely my food processor, dehydrator, rice cooker, and crock pot. I was recently gifted an electric kettle which I super love. The Vitamix is totally on my appliance wish list. Someday, my sweet blender, someday…

Jeralyn January 26, 2012 at 11:29 am

So crazy I just got a panini press in the mail yesterday…going to try it out for lunch. My ultimate favorite kitchen electronic is my ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER. This thing is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!! Cooks chicken breasts in 7 minutes…no joke! I use it for everything; steel cut oats, brown rice, brussel sprouts, the list goes on and on. Check it out I have it listed under my favorite tools on my website. You won’t be disappointed. Well worth the money.

Laura January 26, 2012 at 11:54 am

I like when you post the amount of weight you lifted. It helps me push myself harder. Thank you!

Janetha January 26, 2012 at 11:56 am

Haha, sure! I only do it for my own selfish reasons, to look back and see what I was doing, but I am glad it benefits you. These are lighter weights due to the extremely high rep routine!

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 26, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I want a vita mix!!!!

I love my panini press and rice cooker–oh YES. And crock pot. That’s a MUST have.

Marcia January 26, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Ha! my blender just broke too!
Most popular appliance in our house has to be the toaster oven.

Liz January 26, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Ok, how do you make your ground beef/chicken/turkey in the food processor? Just curious on your proportions.

I am kitchen gadget freak. I love them all. I can get lost in the kitchen gadgetry sections of Bed, Bath and Beyond or any place, really. We use the blender, coffee pot and bean grinder several times a week, and our crock pot usually at least once a week.

Now, I want a panini maker. ;) I (WE could probably do without, but hey, its my dream) want a coffee-shop style espresso brewer that has an attached bean grinder and can do multiple pulls of espresso simultaneously.

Janetha January 26, 2012 at 12:15 pm

It is so easy.. just cut the meat into big chunks, put it in the processor, and turn it on for like 15-20 seconds!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List January 26, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I have that same Cuisinart coffee grinder. Although I don’t really use it now that we have the Keurig. Which I guess, is an appliance I love and use often. I answered your question. ha.

sarah @ sarah learns January 26, 2012 at 1:12 pm

i’m with you – i love appliances & think they’re great gifts. my most used is definitely my coffee-maker (every morning!), but i used my food processor quite a bit too. i would love a pressure cooker but i have NO SPACE for it right now, so i’m waiting on a house with tons of storage for that one….

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine January 26, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Kinda a harsh comment about SELF! What don’t you like about it that makes it “shitty?” I think it’s fun and uplifting with good workout ideas…just my opinion.

Janetha January 26, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Hmm, I don’t think it’s harsh. Me saying it’s shitty is just my opinion, too. The content is not for me. It was a snooze-fest and the workouts looked boring. The fashion section included dresses that were $600. Zero content for me to relate to or enjoy, so I won’t renew.

Anna January 26, 2012 at 1:59 pm

1. Definitely my blender…love protein smoothies…
2. I want a stick blender and a mini food processor…

I just got a rice cooker and think I’ll make good use of that too :)

Janetha January 26, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I have a rice cooker still in the box and an immersion blender I have used once! I need to start using them.

Anna January 26, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I was sick of scraping rice off the bottom of my old pot! I’ve heard some people say they never end up using an immersion blender but I never want to make the effort to use my regular blender so it might be worth it?!

momma b. January 26, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Most used = my hair dryer

Want = iMac for my home!!

xoxo

Janetha January 26, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I mean.. we were talking about kitchen appliances.. but that’s ok, cause you are my mom =P

meggi January 26, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I love kitchen appliances! Unfortunately, our house was built in the 1920′s which means we have NO counter space. We gave up our microwave about 6 months ago to conserve space and we have several appliances unopened in our basement from our wedding in 2008… including a red KitchenAid Stand Mixer … *sigh*

naomi(onefitfoodie) January 26, 2012 at 5:40 pm

vitamix…ill get it one day! i have to say my fav is probably my magic bullet! I use it for making smoothies, dressing, whipping eggs you name it! gets SO much use around my kitchen!

agreed about SELF mag…what a bore!

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness January 26, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I’m in total awe of the weights you are lifting! I’m barely able to do 10lbs right now…I have a long way to go!!!!

Madeline@Food, Fitness, and Family January 26, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I love my mini food chopper. It makes dicing onions so much more enjoyable haha. I also love my Kitchenaid.

If you can’t get your Vitamix fixed I got a Ninja blender recently and it’s pretty much amazing. And it’s under $100 so also a little more affordable. :)

Willow @ My Own Trail January 26, 2012 at 8:55 pm

As someone who LOVES to cook and bake, I have to be extra careful not to collect too many random kitchen appliances that aren’t very useful. My rule is: If it doesn’t get used regularly, it goes to the thrift store. I have a few appliances that I absolutely couldn’t live without. They are my Kitchenaid stand mixer, my Cuisinart food processor, my rice cooker, my coffee maker, my Blendtec blender and my Sodastream seltzer maker. As far as I’m concerned, all other appliances are just a nice luxury, while these are a necessity.

Alysa (InspiredRD) January 26, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Right now my favorite appliance is my new bread machine. The gluten-free bread I can make in there is way better than what I can buy at the store. We are also enjoying our new Blendtec!

Heather January 27, 2012 at 12:30 am

Looks like a great workout! I have been loving deadlifts lately!

J @ ... semplicemente j ... January 27, 2012 at 7:13 am

I love my immersion blender … but I believe my most used appliance is my Breville Panini/Griddle … which I love … I want a Vitamix, but I am not ready to spend $400 to make smoothies … so I think I am just going to go for a normal blender … but that can wait … for now its smoothies no ice for my daughter and my immersion blender suits that need just fine!

Life's a Bowl January 28, 2012 at 4:48 am

Most used appliance: a convection toaster oven that was my VDay gift last year… Not your average box of chocolate and roses hehe! Dream appliance: a VitaMix!

Sarah January 29, 2012 at 3:37 pm

WISH LIST: VITAMIX! fo sho.. just cant seem to justify the money yet!

Barbara January 29, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Is it sad to say microwave?? definitely the most used. and my food scale.

shari January 31, 2012 at 8:50 am

I also have a vitamin and I am very curious if you were able to get them to fix it for you?

seo January 31, 2012 at 10:54 am

Howdy! This post could not be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my previous room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this post to him. Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!