dark chocolate peppermint protein shake.

by Janetha on December 29, 2011

in body for life,recipes

let’s talk about cookies. specifically: dark chocolate covered peppermint joe joe’s.

NewImage

marshall has been eating a lot of these cookies lately. (we picked some up at trader joe’s when we were in cali last month.)

IMG 8501

IMG 8500

i love these cookies!! i don’t love that they are 150 calories for each cookie. what?

NewImage

and you know you can’t just eat one cookie. or two. realistically, it’s going to be at least three.. if not four.

NewImage

i came up with an alternative treat for those nights that i need a little dark chocolate and peppermint in my life… but don’t need an additional 450 calories in my body

IMG 8894

dark chocolate peppermint protein shake

serves one

• 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of choice)
  • 1 scoop all natural vanilla protein powder
  • 1 1/2 T dark cocoa powder
  • 1/4-1/2 t peppermint extract (depending on your taste buds)
  • 1/8 tsp each of xanthan & guar gums (optional, these are thickening agents and will make your shake creamy, thick, and smooth!)
  • about 10 ice cubes

place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. serve immediately.

IMG 8908

this entire recipe is 135 calories, 20g protein, 4g carbs, and 4g fat. and honestly, it takes away all my dark chocolate covered peppermint joe joe’s cravings.

IMG 8907

enjoy!

in other news.. the winner of week 3 of dedicated december (december 18-24, the three pack of chobani!) is:

Screen Shot 2011 12 28 at 9 01 10 AM

this week’s prize (december 25-31) is a contigo cold bottle. keep logging those workouts here!

Kerryne December 29, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Droooooool! There is nothing I love more than chocolate mint, I am going to give this a whirl tomorrow for sure. I have been out of Almond milk for a week :( Tomorrow is shopping day yippee! I don’t have the thickening agents you use so I will probably throw some cottage cheese in to thicken it up. Can’t wait to try it!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 29, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Yum. Chocolate, peppermint, in slurpable form. Oh yeah!

Heather (Heather's Dish) December 29, 2011 at 9:14 pm

oh my gosh this shake sounds insane! you’re right, you can’t have just one cookie…but i’ll take a big oversized shake any time!

Tiffany @ Snack Snark Bark December 29, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Yeeeeessssss! Not only do the stats look great, it’s gorgeous and festive–win win I tell you! I haven’t tried those cookies but meant to when I lived near a TJ’s and by the looks of it, it’s a good thing I never tried them because that would have been straight up dangerous. If I ever get around to buying peppermint extract this is definitely going on the list!! I went to Starbucks this morning with my free drink coupon and got a skinny peppermint latte and sprinkled some chocolate powder on it, it was a healthier alternative to the peppermint mocha. Love.

stephanie December 29, 2011 at 10:31 pm

yum! that sounds delicious! I’ve made dark chocolate peppermint oatmeal a few times this month…best way to start the day!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio December 29, 2011 at 10:36 pm

This looks great!

Christin@purplebirdblog December 29, 2011 at 11:19 pm

Maybe the only reason it’s good that I don’t have a Trader Joe’s in a reasonable vicinity to me. MAYBE. ;)

Kristin @ STUFT Mama December 30, 2011 at 3:07 am

Um, yum. I can’t buy those cookies because I’m pretty sure I would polish off the box. Not good. Loving the whole protein shake idea. Speaking of loving…… your ten reasons list is freaking AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Just made my night! :) Hopefully we can meet in 2012 either at BLEND or on one of your trips to Cali! :)

Lauren December 30, 2011 at 4:55 am

This sounds delicious!

Erica December 30, 2011 at 5:21 am

Great alternative! Plus it comes with a nice protein kick!! Have a wonderful weekend

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes December 30, 2011 at 5:48 am

How coool! Those cookies sound good, but this looks delish :D

julie December 30, 2011 at 7:14 am

just imagine if you dunked one of those cookies in that shake. hubba hubba

Allison December 30, 2011 at 7:53 am

YUM! We made the mistake of buying peppermint Joe’s last winter and the sleeve was gone within minutes :P This year we got some mini gingerbread men that are fabulous [can you tell I’m not the biggest baker? ha]!

P.S. TJ’s also has a Joe’s assortment pack that is just as heavenly and sinful…

The Delicate Place December 30, 2011 at 8:01 am

haha we are on the same wavelength. i’ve been drinking a variation of this during the holiday season with fresh mint leaves!! sometimes i make a mojito smoothie as well but i use jay robb vanilla egg white protein.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning December 30, 2011 at 8:14 am

A student gave me a box of those cookies for Christmas last year. I think I had 1/2 of one cookie and then turned them over to my husband for him to keep in his office (since he can eat the entire box and probably lose a pound). You’re right- no one would eat ONE cookie from there- more like 10!
The shake looks delicious! Yet another excuse to use my new Vitamix! :)

Kimberly December 30, 2011 at 9:08 am

that looks awesome, Janetha! I need those cookies! But honestly, TJs is over an hour away and I am too lazy ;) haha — so thanks for posting a healthy alternative! I will definitely be trying that! :)

P.S. I loved your top one list ;) great post.

Kris | iheartwellness.com December 30, 2011 at 11:27 am

OMG, don’t even talk to me about cookies…if I had that box here they’d be gone. Gone like the friggin wind. I can’t stop eating things like cookies or cereal, so i just can’t buy them!

This smoothie looks amazing!!!!! I love making my smoothies thicker so I can eat it with a spoon and my brain thinks its like a meal, I swear, I stay fuller longer ;) LOL
xxoo

Alysa (InspiredRD) December 30, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Oh YUM!!! I can’t eat the Joe Joe’s anymore because of my new celiac diagnosis, but they are my favorite. Can’t wait to try this combo, thanks!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List December 30, 2011 at 1:32 pm

um yum! Making this…but will probably have to crumble up a Candy Cane Joe Joe to go on top!

Lori Z. December 30, 2011 at 1:34 pm

When we were on holidays over Christmas my daughter had a candy cane milkshake – I was thinking how easy it would be to make a healthy one, but chocolate peppermint sounds even better. Definitely trying this out!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva December 30, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Something about christmas makes me go cookie crazy. Might just try a protein shake tonight….But that might be wishful thinking cuz it’s NYE and all….maybe tomorrow lol.

Kristi @ Sweetly Fit December 30, 2011 at 4:42 pm

There’s something about dark chocolate and peppermint together…so good. I’ve been hooked on Starbuck’s skinny peppermint mochas lately. I’m going to attempt my own version at home, which will probably be pretty similar to this recipe!

Mel December 30, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Ah I never knew that Marshall had curly hair!

Kiah December 30, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Yum! Nice alternative :-)

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon December 30, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Looks tasty!
Hershey’s special dark cocoa is the best!!!

Melissa @TryingtoHeal December 30, 2011 at 9:57 pm

My best friends just bought me four boxes of those before TJ’s ran out…since they know how much I love them…but I like your sub for when I need to lighten up a bit. :)

Kate December 30, 2011 at 10:04 pm

Ugh, those cookies are too good! The kids I babysit have had those in the house and it’s really hard to resist them, haha.

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes December 31, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Yum. You could probably put some fresh mint leaves in there too.

elise January 4, 2012 at 1:08 am

blech. i hate mint. im ignoring it and just oohing and aahing over the chocolate though.

ps marshalls hair is so long and curly!!

Krissy @ Make it Naked January 11, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Sipping on this as I type. It’s great! My protein powder isn’t flavored so I added some vanilla extract. Love it!!

Kara July 5, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Mmmmm… just made this with regular cocoa powder, and added spinach. Soooo delicious! And trust me, no one knows mint chocolate like I do. Thanks for the recipe!

Janetha July 6, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Glad you liked it! Adding spinach is a great move.

Katie November 27, 2012 at 6:53 am

Wahoo! I see you use Simply Organic Peppermint Extract. I used to work for Frontier Natural Products, which makes Simply Organic. What I great company, I loved working there. Anyway, I love Peppermint mocha’s coffee’s and this looks like a good alternative recipe :)