random things on a monday.

by Janetha on September 5, 2011

in dogs,random rambles

it’s labor day! no labor for me! i wonder why it is called labor day. i think i will google that after publishing this.

anyway, since i have the day off and have a lot of stuff on my camera card, i thought i would post some totally random stuff. sound good?

#1: i bought three things at swiss days.

i told you i would show you—if i don’t do it now, i never will. right lindsay?

item one: a giant iron spider! i think it is supposed to be a halloween decoration, but he is pretty cute so i think he will hang out in our yard year round. and who knows.. maybe he will scare away the real spiders??

item two: wassail scented oil.

wassail smells so good! this oil goes in a scentsy wax warmer and is way more potent than the wax you typically put in these warmers.

item three: owl art made from leaves.

this is my favorite! it was handmade from pressed leaves.. isn’t it unique? i love it.

#2: my dogs are cute.

IMG_3609IMG_3605

yeah.. that’s about it for #2.

#3: for not having a trader joe’s in utah, i sure use a lot of their products every single day.

this is from last night’s dinner—five TJ’s products!

#4: i finally found a new purse.

i have been searching for a new purse for months now! my current purse strap keeps breaking and my purse falls on the ground constantly. i refused to get rid of it until i found a purse with the right specifications.

specifications, you ask? yes. i am a weird one. it has to have the handle strap to carry up on my shoulder when i want to…

and the sling strap to carry messenger style when i want to..

this purse has both straps, is basic black and was cheap. i got it at urban outfitters, FYI.

#5: i still don’t like zevia.

i won a zevia giveaway once and tried it and hated it. i just don’t like the taste of stevia i guess. i had a free coupon for zevia from my HLS swag bag so i thought i would give the grapefruit flavor a try. blech. no bueno. at least it was free.

#6: i have officially lost my husband to fantasy football.

well, to football in general, actually. yesterday he made sure to inform me that it was the last football-less sunday until february. don’t worry, marshall, i was already well aware of the fact. sigh.

oh, and side note: the only way we can connect to the internet is by plugging into a cable in the spare room. that explains the photo above. any wireless router geniuses want to help us figure out how to get the internet to work??? we will pay you in dog kisses.

that’s all for now! hope you are all enjoying your holiday.

1. how do you feel about football season?

2. what is your purse like? any quirky specifications like me? (matt and evan.. don’t answer that. unless you have a man purse.)

Christin September 6, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Here’s a link to an article on Mentalfloss.com all about the origins and history of Labor Day! :)

Colleenzo September 6, 2011 at 3:44 pm

My purses must have a sling strap, lots of small outside pockets for organizing (while I like the looks of a single gigantic tote bag, I’d never be able to find ANYTHING in one), and, most importantly, be big enough to carry a bottle of wine. I work part time at an italian restaurant, and I bring a lot of wine home. My hands are always too full, and I used to drop and break a lot of wine bottles. Now they have to fit in my purse.

janetha September 6, 2011 at 3:51 pm

hahah best criteria ever.

LauraJayne September 6, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I LOVE football season – everything about it! I even have a fantasy football team that I neglect sleep to do the draft!

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife September 6, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I went to Swiss days last year and it was SO fun! I loved all the cool artwork and fun little personal set ups for selling products!

Love the owl artwork :)

Ashley September 6, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Just thought you should see these :-)

Anna September 6, 2011 at 8:12 pm

sling strap = so necessary right now. <3 the new purse!

Sarah@The Flying ONION September 6, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Haha…your pups are way too stinkin’ cute. They make my day, whenever I see them. :D

And Trader Joe’s has the best balsamic vinegar. I use it in *everything*!!

Anne September 6, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Janetha,

I love reading your blog, but I’m disheartened to learn that you don’t know the origins of Labor Day. I think most 20somethings don’t know enough about it, and that makes me sad.

Naomi September 6, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I have a bag with two straps too! love it!!! you can bring it from a messenger bag to a tote in no time! so versitile and useful in so many ways! glad you got it! :) haha i used to date a guy who was obessed with fantasy football! I couldnt even talk to him on those days so I totally understand…dont worry its just temporary!

xoxo

shawna September 6, 2011 at 11:47 pm

i win on the fantasy football thing… its my boyfriend’s job. so not only is he glued to a computer all day at work AND all night/weekend at home, he can justify it with “i’m working”. this = bad news.

Allison September 7, 2011 at 6:17 am

I’m not a big fan of Zevia either- have you tried Diet Hansen’s?! Love it :D

janetha September 7, 2011 at 11:31 am

blech. i hate all diet sodas!

Allison September 7, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Don’t knock it till you try it! :P

janetha September 7, 2011 at 12:47 pm

oh i have tried it! knockin’ away!

Laura September 7, 2011 at 5:52 pm

football season was a constant battle at my house growing up. boys vs girls and who got the remote. my husband is a soccer fanatic, so i got lucky on that one! he doesn’t mind watching the football highlights though! i do like soccer so we are both happy.
for me…a purse is my purse when I see it and I just know it fits…that it was made for me! i really like leather so that is what draws me in a lot of the time…right now i have a black guess but before that i had a purse of many colors (also in leather) so that is something i love in purses!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 7, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Football season is okay with me especially if chili is involved. Now that we are rocking the long distance relationship it doesn’t really affect me too much. lol.

The Ginger Root Beer Zevia is about the only one that I actually like!

I’m with you-I love purses that I can wear messenger style! I’m on the lookout for a new bag. I haven’t bought a new one for 4 years. :| That is plain depressing!

Callie @ Callieflower Kitchen September 12, 2011 at 3:50 pm

My purse has both sets of straps too, can zip up every external pocket and is a deep red colour. Also from UO, which apparently has the best bags ever :)

Kim @ The Family Practice September 29, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Wait, how are you getting stuff from TJ’s?! We just moved to Utah and I desperately miss all my TJ favs. Tell me your secret!

Janetha October 3, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I haul it back from Cali :)