twelve week trainer.

by Janetha on September 1, 2011

in moves

hello and welcome to another blog post. i am doing a pretty good job at posting considering i still don’t have wireless internet at my house! my blog reading and internet browsing is suffering immensely, but i am still able to type a post while offline then use verizon dial up and publish the post. it’s a pain, but it does the trick. on the upside, not having the internet at home has done WONDERS for my house! it is spotless! all my laundry is folded, my kitchen is spick & span (what the hell does “spick & span” mean, anyway? my mom always says it) and my hair dryer is actually put away. that never happens.

moves

today i want to touch on the new weight lifting plan i have been following for the past four days. if you have no interest in weight lifting, well, this post isn’t for you!

i am not giving out exercise advice of my own, and you should consult a professional before starting any training plan, but i did want to share what i am currently doing and what is working for me.

have you heard of jamie eason?

image [source.]

jamie eason is by far my favorite fitness writer/fitness model /fit inspiration out there. she writes a column in oxygen magazine, is very active on her facebook page and has recently come out with a twelve week training plan on bodybuilding.com.

the plan is very detailed and has a ton of FREE information about diet and exercise. jamie includes a suggested meal plan (for both men and women) and there is also an approved foods list available to print. the meal plan is a lot like body for life (And a lot like the way i already eat)—five to six meals a day three hours apart, pairing a protein with a carb, including healthy fats.. you know the shpill. what is comforting to me is that every solid plan i read about has similar guidelines. guidelines that i know, from first hand experience, WORK.

i am NOT following her meal plan because i don’t feel the need to be that tight with my eating at this moment in my life. there are certain things like not eating starchy carbs past 7 PM and only eating fruit in the morning or after your workout—those are guidelines i don’t wish to follow right now. however, i do think those guidelines are ideal when wanting to really shape up or get super lean.

i am following her lifting plan, though! this is because i wanted something fresh and new to follow, plus this plan is free to anyone who wants it. i have been training two body parts per day lately, but it has been totally at random. one day i will do biceps + triceps and the next day shoulders + back.. then the following week i will pair biceps + back and triceps + chest.. just as long as each area was trained once a week i was happy. however, this is a more outlined regimen and it follows the basic outline of how i have been lifting currently, so i went with it!

like i said, i have done four days of the plan so far. the workouts are pretty minimal, actually, and i am used to working out for an hour each day. because i can’t sit still, i did add a bit of my own stuff for between sets instead of the suggested one minute rest.

here is a basic breakdown of the four workouts with the weights i used.  i did a 5 minute / half milk warmup on the treadmill before each workout. you can go here to see each move in detail (just click on the day you wish to see.) i did modify a few moves according to what was available at my CROWDED gym.

day 1: chest & triceps.

move weight reps sets rest period
wide hand pushups body weight 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x
dumbbell bench press 25# each hand 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x
flat bench dumbbell flyes 10# each hand 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x
close hand pushups body weight 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x
standing dumbbell tri ext 20# 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x
triceps cable pushdown 25# 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x

i then did a burnout set of bench dips followed by a burnout set of girl pushups, followed by a mile and a half on the treadmill. i am trying to run as much as possible since my race is two weeks away… but i just hate it.

day 2: back & biceps.

move weight reps sets rest period
wide grip lat pulldown 70# 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x
one arm dumbbell row 25# 1x, 20# 2x 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x
seated cable rows 80# 1x, 70# 2x 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x
underhand cable pulldown 80# 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x
dumbbell alternate bicep curl 15# each hand 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x
one arm concentration cable curl 15# 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x
standing barbell biceps curl 30#, 25#, 20# 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x

i then did a burnout set of assisted pullups followed by a burnout set of light biceps curls.

day 3: legs & calves.

move weight reps sets rest period
45° leg press (self loaded) 130# + sled (45#?) 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x
leg extension 65# 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x
wide stance smith squats 120# + bar (15#?) 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x
standing calf raise 100# 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x
seated calf raise 45# 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x

it was already past 8 PM by this time, so no burnout!

day 4: shoulders & abs.

move weight reps sets rest period
seated dumbbell press 15# each hand 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x
standing dumbbell straight arm front delt raise to a ‘T’ 10# each hand 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x
side lateral dumbbell raise 10# each hand 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x
seated bent over real delt raise 10# each hand 12 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x
ball crunch 10# plate 30 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x
bicycle crunches body weight 30 3 up & down 21 stairs 3x

i did a burnout of upright rows after the delt raises (before the ab work) and then i also tacked on 10 minutes of various ab moves after the bicycle crunches because i love working my abs and those two exercises were just not enough for me.

SO, those are the first four workouts of the twelve week trainer. friday, saturday and sunday are designated rest days. since i am training for a mud run, i will probably do some running two of those three days and take one day off completely.

week two of the trainer is identical to week one, then week three ramps up to 5 workouts, two of which are dedicated solely to legs. i am excited for that, because i feel like the leg workout this week was just “meh”.  however, the other workouts have been stellar! my chest STILL has DOMS from monday!

i am eager to follow the moves in this plan because while i do know several moves for each body part, i feel like i need some structure and direction so i don’t miss specific parts of each muscle group. for example—there are four parts of your shoulder you can train. jamie eason’s plan hits all areas of the shoulders, while my random weight lifting plans may have neglected a certain part of the shoulder (ahem: rear delts were totally being missed!)

i hear that in phase two (starting with week five) she jumps to six workouts a week. i can’t wait to see what phase two has in store.

*************************************

after yesterday’s super detailed rundown of my meals, i really didn’t feel like documenting much today. can you blame me?

i will tell you this:

i have been baking.

with peaches.

recipe coming soonish.

and because this post was SO word-heavy and had nothing super exciting, here are a couple photos of the two furry rascals that i love most.

the bone hog:

the boneless basset:

check ya later!

1. who is your favorite fit inspiration?

2. how do you feel about weight training?

KaraHadley September 2, 2011 at 12:20 am

Totally checking this out now. Sometimes I feel like I’m doing the same strength moves every time.
Now I just need to get the men to give up the dumbbells…

Kris | iheartwellness.com September 2, 2011 at 12:21 am

Ooo I love posts like this!!! Weights are my thing and I am actually on a mission to have my body look like hers!! LOL, I may need some fake boobs, but we can work on that ;)

So, I love this plan, thank you for sharing! Hmmmm diet is important, but how do you only eat fruit in the a.m. and no carbs after 7pm?! EEEEKKK

xxoo

Amy September 2, 2011 at 12:25 am

I love that you dont have to go searching to see what the move is on this plan! I think I may give it a shot (not to the “t” but as best I can)
it really looks awesome!

@HilaryFleming September 2, 2011 at 12:41 am

This looks really interesting. I usually shy away from weights because I was a dancer for so long and I wanted to be long and lean. However, I’m starting to be a big believer in the importance of weights, especially now that I am in my dirty 30s and I can tell I’m losing muscle.

I’ve been cooking with peaches lately too!

Heather Yourex September 2, 2011 at 1:31 am

Jamie Eason is great and she seems to sweet and sincere in all her fb posts! I’ve been out of the weight room for a few weeks because of surgery but I am ITCHING to get back to it!!!! Thanks for sharing!

Kristin @ STUFT Mama September 2, 2011 at 1:56 am

Thanks for sharing. I’ve never heard of her, but definitely going to check her out now. Weight trainig is a MUST! I love doing it in a class format though. I’m not big on machines at the gym. And- super impressive that you’re keeping up on posting without internet connection. :)

Bonnie September 2, 2011 at 2:21 am

Great post, friend! Chock-full of good info and after I saw you tweeting about her plan I checked it out. Great thoughts. And those peaches look delish (did your dessert come out okay?!)… :) As much as I love to run and love the post-run feeling of accomplishment, there’s something about being strong and feeling so fit after a weights workout…it’s a different, great feeling! I like seeing muscles and knowing that I’m really building into my life and health because we need muscles for everything (that’s kind of a dumb, common sense sentence but you know what I mean). ;) Thanks for sharing your plan. Way to keep those posts coming w/no internet – you’ve got me beat. ;) Love ya! Keep lifting strong.

Erica September 2, 2011 at 2:25 am

I made one of jamies recipes yesterday! Sounds like a great workout plan. Cute pics of the pups

cathy September 2, 2011 at 5:54 am

glad you found a new training plan to be jazzed about, j! great way to kick off september. knowing you have x number of weeks to follow is nice, mentally, too.
i really intensely dislike weight training. it is just not my thing. i make myself do some weights a few times a week but i would rather work my upper body with ashtanga yoga.
i am inspired by ultra runners – the mental power and physical training needed to run a 100 mile race, for example, captivates me! also anyone who does an ironman. wow!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 2, 2011 at 6:20 am

have you heard of jamie eason? = yeah, she’s only the hottest thing since sliced bread :)

how do i feel about weight training and fitness inspiration…ahh, just did a big post yesterday called Diet Vs. Exercise. I talked in depth about some deeper thoughts on it all :)

And today, ironically, was featured in Fitness Magazine!!!

chandra September 2, 2011 at 6:54 am

This is great, thank you for sharing it! I really miss hitting the weights hard lately – its hard to do it while marathon training, at least for lower body… but as soon as training is over next month you can bet I’ll be trying this out! :)

Anna September 2, 2011 at 7:04 am

I’ve been following Jamie’s plan too as a way to mix up my weights. Overall I have been happy with the change of pace and have already seen an increase in my weights over the past few weeks…
I am loving the weight training fo sho.

Corey @ Learning Patience September 2, 2011 at 7:23 am

Baking with peaches? Can’t wait to read all about it! I currently have friends in town this week – which is so much fun – but also a lot of work and throws you off your schedule of healthy eating and drinking…urgh…off to run right now while they are still sleeping!
My fitness inspiration is Tracy Anderson…I’m a big Tracy follower…her workouts have transformed my body!

xoxo from Trinidad

Janetha September 2, 2011 at 1:01 pm

LOVE Tracy!

Cathy September 2, 2011 at 7:31 am

Hi Janetha,
Right now you’re my inspiration! I hope to get fit like you!
Thanks for responding to my email yesterday.
Cathy

Lee September 2, 2011 at 7:53 am

I really like weight training. I’ve been toting around the Women’s Health Big Book of Exercises and really like the variety that it gives for each muscle part.

Allison September 2, 2011 at 7:58 am

Thanks for the info about Jaime- I “liked” her on FB and checked out her website, great info! One of my girlfriends and I were talking last night that we need to jazz up our workouts so this was perfect timing!

Ali Mc September 2, 2011 at 8:10 am

I am just so shocked you can keep up /w Jamie :P although I did read about your body for life so I guess I should’ve known you had tons of strength! I don’t go to the gym. I know! what a sin. I should really join one but I do all my workouts at home. I am planning on investing in a better set of weights to begin tackling some weight training. Right now all I do is body boot camps, run, cycle and aerobic DVD’s – so stereotypical of a mom :D

I guess you are my current fit inspiration, I also like Janae and Jessica and Cecily @ rerunrunning :)

maybe I should try to do a body for life…..I just love eating bad stuff!

Ali Mc September 2, 2011 at 8:10 am

PS: I LOVE those pics of your dogs!

MelissaNibbles September 2, 2011 at 8:10 am

I love Jamie! I had no idea this existed. Thanks Janetha!!!!

Tami September 2, 2011 at 8:25 am

I love to lift weights but since I started doing triathlons I let the weight training slide over summer. I am exciting for my tri season to end (last race-halfmironman is next Sunday). Then I have one more half marathon and into the weightnroom I go

Ty September 2, 2011 at 9:19 am

I don’t have fitspiration… Maybe bloggers! I do feel motivated when I read about someone running a marathon or just getting in a stellar work out.

Strength training intimidates me because I have no idea where to begin… Any good resources for a TOTAL noob?

Janetha September 2, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I started with the Body For Life routine–it’s a book by Bill Phillips. I know a lot of people like the book “The New Rules of Lifting for Women”!

Carbzilla September 3, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I got New Rules of Lifting for Women for IPad but it breaks the pages up funny. I think this will be MUCH easier to follow – especially since I have the mental incapacity to remember an exercise just by its name. (I need pictures and/or video)

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well. September 2, 2011 at 10:05 am

I love Jamie Eason too! I’m a huge Oxygen fan and it totally changed my opinion of weightlifting. Now, most days I do strength training instead of some sort of cardio. I am definitely checking out the plan because I desperately need someone else to schedule my workouts for me :)

Can’t wait to see what you’ve been cooking up with the peaches!

Krista (kristastes) September 2, 2011 at 10:19 am

I want to try this after my surgery!!! Or maybe start everything but legs now…good stuff. I like that she varies the moves because my problem is always boredom and not hitting every part of specific muscle groups.

The Teenage Taste September 2, 2011 at 10:29 am

Jamie Eason is a kick-butt trainer! I can’t wait to hear more!

Mary (A Merry Life) September 2, 2011 at 10:41 am

I love that you are posting about this program! I loooove Jamie Eason and I want to go through the program after I get settled post wedding. I’m really looking forward to it and to seeing how you progress with it. :)

I love strength training. Love it.

Yolie @ Practising Wellness September 2, 2011 at 10:47 am

I love Jamie Eason, and think her column in Oxygen magazine is a great read, very inspiring, and I really respect her as an industry expert who practises what she preaches :-) This workout plan looks amazing! I’m actually reading it over at the bodybuilding.com site now and am totally going to use some of the sessions. I really enjoy lifting now…I used to not like it at all, but in recent months I’ve been getting into it and feel soooo much better for it! Love being strong(er)! <3 Thank you for sharing! xyx

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 2, 2011 at 11:17 am

Jamie Eason makes me wish I wasn’t married! And a lesbian. And in her league.

Lauren September 2, 2011 at 11:33 am

Love Love Love Jamie Easton! I’m bookmarking this post so I can do this weight routine after marathon training…it will be the perfect thing to do when I’m not running…thanks for the breakdown!

LauraJayne September 2, 2011 at 11:51 am

I’m afraid of weight training.

Not because I’m afraid of getting muscles.

But because I’m intimidated/scared/will-cry-like-a-baby of weights.

Which explains my spaghetti arms.

Christina September 2, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I love Oxygen Magazine!! UGH Can you believe they don’t sell it at ANY store near my office in NYC?? WTH is up with that?! I never heard of Jamie Easton but I’m looking up her plan now. My current weight lifting plan sucks balls so I need some guidance :)

Sami September 2, 2011 at 12:24 pm

i really need to get back into strength training…ever since bootcamp classes ended, i just don’t have the self discipline to do circuits myself. soon, i’ll be in a conditioning program with the boys basketball team at school, so i better get my butt in gear!

Amanda September 2, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I’m bookmarking this. I still think I’m too much of a weight lifting newbie to do this but I’m going to try for after I’m finished with the new rules of lifting for women program. I really want to keep it up without getting bored. Thanks for sharing, friend.

Carbzilla September 3, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Amanda – These are super basic exercises. Anyone can do them. It’s what any trainer would start a beginner out with – it’s just the amount of weight that would make them more “advanced.” You can do it!

Meg September 2, 2011 at 2:00 pm

YOU are my fit inspiration! I used to maaaybe do weights once a week and now I’m up to 3x a week. I still don’t know what all of the exercises are called (or how to do them) but I’m learning that google and youtube are my best friends. ;)

Amy September 2, 2011 at 2:39 pm

i actually was just checking this out last week..i follow her on fbook and twitter and obviously she looks great! i havent decided if im gonna try the whole plan…but i def like the lifting!

Amy September 2, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I love Jamie Eason. I’ve been copying some recipes and workouts from that new plan but not following it exactly. I look fwd to her column every month in Oxygen.

Paige @ Running Around Normal September 2, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Sounds like a fun new lifting challenge!
I’m borderline obsessed with cross fitter, Jaquelyn Kay:) You should check out some of her vids. She’s exceptional.

Niki September 2, 2011 at 7:56 pm

1. Also Jamie Eason. Her picture lives on my fridge (which is inspiring for me, and eye candy for the fiance who is in love with her.)

2. I love weight training and am also doing the 12-week trainer. I’m wrapping up week two and I completely agree with the legs being “meh.” The triceps workouts are killer for me though… I have extremely underdeveloped ones apparently. But I plan to stick with the program to a ‘T’ just for s’s and giggles.

Kelsey September 2, 2011 at 8:02 pm

i’m super pumped to check out these workouts — monday starts my first “weights day” since I started my little “fit back into my jeans” adventure

april September 2, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I’m so excited to see how you like the program..keep us updated!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig September 3, 2011 at 8:45 am

I love lifting weights. Since I started focusing solely on lifting and ditched the cardio, my body is in the best shape it’s ever been! I love Jamie Eason, but Erin Stern is my absolute favourite!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun September 3, 2011 at 8:39 pm

That looks like a killer workout plan! And I too love Jamie Eason.

Laura September 5, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Great post! I started to incorporate weight and strength training over the past month. I have seen a shift in my body that has been incredible. I also feel good and fit. I love the definition in my arms and legs.

Betty September 5, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I love love love weight training cause of my softball and basketball days, it’s the cardio days I dread going to the gym because I use to get that in during practice when it didn’t feel like I was actually doing it.. why I’ve tried running with my lazy basset but he’s not having it these days

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) September 7, 2011 at 10:34 am

jamie is so down to earth and sweet (as if i know her… hahah) but i can tell just by connecting with her fans through facebook. this is a great program for people who need to change things up and i think women need to focus more on weight lifting than cardio alone!