teeth + tracking.

by Janetha on August 31, 2011

in meals

heyo! how’s it going? glad you guys liked my balls. they’re tasty, hope you try them.

happy birthday to my cat, blue! he’s up in cat heaven eating butter. he loved to eat butter when he was alive, but it made him sneeze because he was allergic to milk. i know, a cat allergic to milk? poor guy.

today has been jam packed with a plethora of things. i had a dentist appointment this morning which i was suuuuper excited for.  i LOVE the dentist and getting my teeth cleaned!

i thought i was the only on who loved the dentist, but after tweeting my post-teeth-cleaning excitement, i got a bunch of replies from fellow dental fanatics…

who knew? yay for dentist lovers.

actually, it had been a year since i last visited the dentist. WAY too long if you ask me! i usually get a cleaning twice a year like clockwork, but with the marriage and the move i let time get the best of me. some people i know never go to the dentist—they say it is too expensive—but they will spend $100 every 12 weeks to get their hair done. i don’t get the logic, your teeth are way more important than your hair in my opinion!

i don’t have dental insurance because i think it’s a waste of money. my teeth are in good shape and i don’t have much to worry about.  i went to a new dentist today, actually, and signed up for a super affordable plan they offer. it was $129 for a year and that includes two checkups, two cleanings, an annual xray session, two fluoride treatments and 25% off any work done (fillings, crowns, etc.)  since i was paying $150 for one set of xrays ALONE at my last dentist, i immediately signed up for this plan. it was a no brainer!

if you live in utah (his office is in bountiful) and are in the market for a great dentist for a great price, get at me and i will give you the details. and no, my dentist didn’t hit me up to type this. i actually just loved my appointment this morning and was really satisfied with the price and the work and i am all about spreading the word about great services!

meals

so, some of you had asked me to do a post where i show the calories, macros, measurements and time, so i went to the effort today to track those aspects for you. here it is!

*edited to add that i am posting my meals only, not my morning supplements, pre- or post-workout supplements or anything eaten after dinner. this list is by no means a representation of the number of calories i consumed all day long, i just am giving you a breakdown of the actual meals eaten because people were curious about my typical meals.

before my appointment this morning, i had time to make breakfast and actually eat it at the kitchen table instead of in my car. it was a beautiful thing.

five egg whites + a jazz apple (175 grams) + 1 T mighty maple peanut butter @ 8 AM.

this clocked in at 250 calories, 8 grams of fat, 21 grams of protein and 34 grams of carbs. ohhh and 7 grams of fiber!

breakfast kept me surprisingly full for how low calorie it was. i kind of think the fluoride on my teeth may have had something to do with my desire to eat, though. breakfast was at 8 AM and i didn’t eat lunch until 1 PM!

1/2 cup canned garbanzo beans + 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese + 1/2 tsp ranch seasoning served over a bed of lettuces, broccoli slaw & a chopped bell pepper topped with 2 T light italian dressing @ 1 PM.

so detailed! this was 420 calories, 11 grams of fat, 32 grams of protein, 49 grams of carbs and 12 grams of fiber. i also had an adora disc for my after lunch sweet tooth added calcium.

i worked a little late tonight—partially because it is month end and also because my dentist appointment cut into my morning at the office. i had my snack around five thirty.

3/4 cup plain 0% greek yogurt + one container of chobani champions verry berry greek yogurt + love grown foods simply oats granola @ 5:30 PM.

i like to mix the flavored yogurt with plain yogurt to amp up the protein content without upping the sugars and carbs too much. special thanks to tina for hooking me up with the love grown foods samples at HLS—i LOVE this granola! plus the single-serving packets i received=built in portion control. love that.

this snack clocked in at 320 calories, 6 grams of fat, 29 grams of protein, 38 grams of carbs and 2 grams of fiber.

after work, i headed to brody dezember’s studio to check out our family photo proofs. i think we picked a good one! luckily we won’t have to do family photos again until someone decides to have another baby and that shouldn’t be for awhile. knock on wood.

i rushed home, changed for the gym and pounded out a quick lower body workout. i am following jamie eason’s new training plan—more on that another day. maybe tomorrow? i want to tell you guys about it, i’m loving it so far.

i didn’t get home until about 8:30, so i scratched my labor intensive dinner plans and went with WAFFLES!

low carb coconut protein waffle + peanut flour paste + fresh raspberries @ 8:45 PM.

i used allie’s low carb pancake recipe, nixed the blackberries and added a little coconut extract. i forgot how much i love this recipe! side note, i really miss allie. side side note, amanda, this recipe is gluten free! i watered down 1 T of trader joe’s peanut flour to make a paste and drizzled it on the waffle along with 50 grams of mashed up fresh bear lake raspberries. SO good!

this was around 250 calories, 9 grams of fat, 22 grams of protien, 16 grams of carbs and 8 grams of fiber. love how fibrous coconut flour is! (it is the main ingredient of the waffle batter.)

i will eat one last time before calling it a night.. i usually eat five times a day. my last meal is something small, is usually sweet and contains protein powder or greek yogurt. still not sure what tonight will be!

hope you liked seeing the tracking, meal times, macros and calorie counts. it was a pain in the butt, but i did it all for you who asked.

i am glad i don’t track my meals like this daily anymore. it’s kind of a hassle. i am happy that i can rely on my eyeballing habits that i have perfected over the past three years, but it is nice to weigh and measure every once in awhile to keep things in check. it also keeps me from randomly grabbing handfuls of cereal, dried fruit, granola, crackers, chips, etc because i know i will have to track it and seeing the way those bites, licks and tastes add up really shocks and annoys me.

while i don’t count calories or macros on a regular basis, i do believe doing it periodically is a good idea for me. i know it seems obsessive and detrimental to some, but for others, it’s the only way to lose, gain or maintain their weight. i look at tracking my meals as a valuable tool but can only stand doing it maybe once a month.

good talk.

hasta luego!

1. do you love or hate the dentist? how often do you go?

2. how often do you track your meals? never, sometimes or always? and what is your personal reason behind your answer?

Naomi September 1, 2011 at 6:00 pm

blehh maybe ill the only person who doesnt LOVE the dentist…I mean its great to have my teeth cleaned and all that…but sittin gin that chair and having all of those tools and things in my mouth…id rather be at the DR’s office ot be honest…and then my pet peeve is when the dentist tries to talk toyou and ask you things WHILE they have tools in your mouth! i mean really?!

I have never counted my calories for an extended period of time..I have no idea how many calories I take in and its funny because its probably the most common Q I get! I go by portions and how I feel…thats about it! Your meals are always so well balanced! (and delicious!) coconut pancakes?! YUM!

Ty September 1, 2011 at 7:04 pm

1) Hate the dentist. Not because of anything they do there. Just because it costs so much. And we have dental insurance. (I also cannot justify spending $100 on my hair. I get my hair cut every 8-12 months and I buy a $15-20 groupon to make it cheap.) I know I’m gonna have to go to the dentist soon though because I feel my wisdom teeth coming in and I don’t want my straight post-braces teeth to be ruined. *Sigh* Hence the insurance. Never had a cavity though. That I know of. Again, haven’t been to the dentist in probably… 5 years.

2) At the beginning of this year I weighed 150 pounds. For a girl who is not quite 5 feet tall that is kinduvaheckuvalot. Researching what I should eat in terms of calories to maintain the weight I was at and then the weight I wanted to be is what made it *click* for me. I wasn’t eating a lot portion-wise but I was eating very calorie-dense foods. So now I count calories pretty religiously and I am | | this close to seeing 125 on the scale.

I’ll never stop counting calories. It’s so easy for me. All I worry about is falling within a certain calorie range and getting enough fruit and veggies in. I also try to make sure that most of the food I eat has nutritional value. (Like if I want something sweet… having a sweet potato or a piece of dark chocolate instead of ice cream.)

But other than that? I don’t worry about protein/carbs/fat/sugar or any other tiny detail that makes me want to smash my face into a wall.

I eat whatever the heck I want whenever I want to, but with some common sense thrown in. Portion control comes naturally with limiting my calories.

It’s all very… easy. And it’s working! So, yeah, I kind of love it. I never thought I could lose 25 pounds and still feel satisfied, balanced and happy!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate September 1, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I never track my meals. It’s too time consuming and it makes me obsess. I just eat what sounds good!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats September 1, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I go to the dentist every 6 months like clock work! I love it. lol. There is nothing better than running your tongue over perfectly smooth teeth!

As far as tracking meals goes, I don’t do it a ton but when I need to get back on track I will. I get way too obsessive if I do it all the time and then I am a grumpy bear.

Lee September 1, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I hate the dentist because I have TMJ issues and opening my mouth really wide is really painful. (That begs for some sort of TWSS comment.)

BroccoliHut September 1, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Ha! I always pop an Adora after lunch too–I NEED something sweet right about then.
I used to hate the dentist–I didn’t go all four years of college! I was really lucky though and didn’t get any cavities. Now I don’t mind it so much.
I’ve written down almost everything I eat for the past three years. I started the habit when I was in college, still semi-recovering from anorexia, so I wrote it down to make sure I was getting enough of everything. I continue it now, just to make sure things are balanced!

Amy September 1, 2011 at 10:29 pm

ooo definitely trying those pancakes!!

i dont track my calories too often…every now and then i do though. i prob should more often bc i snack a lotttt

Melody September 2, 2011 at 12:30 am

NOT a fan of the dentist over here! I can’t stand the feeling or sound of metal on teeth.

I’m not a fan of calorie counting either. It reminds me of when I had my disorder which wasn’t a good time for me. I find that whenever I’m stressed, I start counting them again though. :/
Hopefully, soon I’ll be able to count without consequence!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) September 2, 2011 at 12:36 am

I hate the dentist! The thought of someone sticking their hands in my mouth and all that saliva just makes me gag!

Allison September 2, 2011 at 8:01 am

Gah, the dreaded dentist… I can’t remember ever meeting anyone that enjoys their dental appointments :P Great looking eats! I used to keep track of my meals when I had an ED but it’s so mentally taxing I’m glad I don’t anymore…

Susan September 2, 2011 at 10:02 am

Ha. I love how you are always making reference to the fact that you are not having babies anytime soon. Getting lots of questions about it? ;)

Pure2raw twins September 2, 2011 at 4:09 pm

yay for love of dentist! that is probably the only ‘dr’ that I like going to :)
and my best friend is one so that helps too, LOL
and now for counting calories it is a tough subject for us, as that is what caused a huge turning point in our eating disorder, but luckily for us we got over it. and now we really do not count calories we just go by how we feel, and it works for us. but lately we have been experimenting again with counting calories just to see where we are and play around with things. we hope to do a post about it soon. :)

Lea @ Healthy Coconut September 4, 2011 at 12:42 am

I like seeing your meals because it gives me ideas of good food combination. Sometimes I get into food rut and will eat the same things over and over again. Thanks for the link for the protein waffle recipe. I need to break-in the waffle maker we got as a wedding gift :)