when the moon hits the sky..

by Janetha on July 21, 2011

in family time

♪ ♫…like a big pizza pie that’s amore!♪ ♫

yes, i was singing that song all night last night.

why? well, because we made eight pizzas, of course.

not just any old eight pizzas. eight grilled pizzas!

my sister & nieces are in town from san diego. i have been raving about grilled pizza ever since the first time marshall & i made it. we have made it approximately 7 times in the past month. that’s a lot of pizza, folks.

i insisted we had to have a grilled pizza party with the whole fam (minus bro in law, eric.. he gets here tonight) and that is exactly what we did last night.

we made five kinds of pizza:

• barbecue chicken: barbecue sauce, grilled chicken, red onions & mozzarella.
  • margherita: marinara sauce, fresh tomatoes, fresh basil & mozzarella.
  • cheese: marinara sauce & mozzarella.
  • classic combo: marinara sauce, pepperoni, olives, mushrooms, green bell peppers & mozzarella.
  • chicken pesto: pesto sauce, grilled chicken, balsamic marinated tomatoes, fresh basil, feta & parmesan.

the best part about the pizza party is that everyone helped out!

IMG_1421IMG_1422IMG_1423IMG_1425IMG_1428IMG_1430IMG_1432IMG_1437IMG_1439IMG_1442

i managed to eat a boatload of fruit whilst making the pizzas and was actually pretty full by the time they started coming out.

check out these beauties!

BBQ chicken:

margerita:

cheese:

classic combo:

chicken pesto:

i had a sliver of every. single. kind.  and maybe three slivers of the barbecue chicken. it ended up being my favorite of the night.

afterward, i was in a pizza coma. i definitely ate waaaaay too much. it’s funny, because my niece, kaylee, kept saying, “i am so full but it is so good! i want to keep eating!”

i think she gets that from me.

it was a super fun pizza party with the fam! it’s not often that we all are able to get together and i am so glad we got to.

i have a ton of work to do for the fundraiser, so i gotta go!

in the meantime, feel free to check out the list of blogger baked goods that will be up for auction on monday. the list is not quite complete.. but there are 50 some-odd items on there right now.

also, here is a post about how the auction flow works.

i am soooo excited for the auction! i am totally bidding on that year supply of chobani and a case of 144 larabars. for a {partial} list of ALL the items for bid—not just baked goodies—check out danica’s post.

check ya later alligators!

1. i usually ask what your favorite pizza is.. instead, tell me what the most RECENT kind of pizza you ate was!

2. tough question: favorite kind of cheese?

Lindsey July 21, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I am so excited for the auction, hopefully I can score some stuff!

Favorite cheese – that’s a tough one, I love Havarti and Goat cheese. Not sure I can choose between those two! And the last pizza I made and ate was BBQ Mango Chicken, probably our best homemade pizza to date.

Carrie@shrinkingcarriewww July 21, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Those pizza’s are making my mouth water! Did you make the dough homemade? What recipe?
Last pizza was when I was on vacation in Utah I had Brick Oven Pizza Napoli (deep dish extra cheese, extra pepperoni)
I love most cheeses except the stinky ones (they know who they are).

Janetha July 21, 2011 at 9:55 pm

We buy our dough at Whole Foods. It’s all natural, made daily and $3 per ball.. can’t beat that!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 21, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I love pineapple on pizza. And extra hot pepper flakes. Call me crazy.

And i dig the family pizza making session..such cute pics. So happy you all are able to be together :)

candice July 21, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Yes, I must make them. I love BBQ to!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) July 21, 2011 at 10:00 pm

Last pizza was ‘called’ flatbread, but it totally was pizza- and it was mushroom and feta- it was lolzamazeballbloobshubs. I didn’t even care that there wasn’t any real protein source (usually something that I can’t ever bring myself to do).

My fave cheese was the one that you tasted at the farmer’s market at the camelot theater- the aged gouda.

Jackie Smith July 21, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I’m so excited to start bidding! There are so many amazing donations I don’t know where to begin.

Alexandria July 21, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Good luck finalizing everything for the auction! It already seems like it will be quite the success for a good cause.

I absolutely love the grill pizza my mom makes, but sadly I don’t have a grill at my house. The last pizza I ate at home was Trader Joe’s pesto pizza (just ok) and the last pizza I had out was Piece Out (New Haven style, amazingness).

I feel like I haven’t explored the cheese world enough-there are so many kinds! But for my favorite, it’s a three way tie between swiss, smoked gouda & havarti. Cheese makes everything taste better. :)

Erica July 22, 2011 at 12:34 am

What a fun dinner! Love that everyone pitched in. My favorite kind of pizza is probably margherita. Last kind I had was a white pizza with artichokes! Favorite kind of cheese….I’m not sure I can even attempt to answer this question.

cathy July 22, 2011 at 4:07 am

great photos of the family pizza party, j! so much fun to be all together, and enjoy those great pizzas.
our tradition at thanksgiving when we all get together is to have pizza! that way, no one has to cook (we order in), there’s something for everyone, and it’s just plain fun!
thanks for all the work you’re putting in to the auction. so awesome.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) July 22, 2011 at 4:25 am

HOLY PIZZA!!! omg that looks so good! i have never had bbq chicken pizza! i thnk its becauase I am not the biggest fan of bbq sauce in general but that pizza just looks SO good!

Corey @ Learning Patience July 22, 2011 at 4:53 am

Wow – great job! Those pizzas totally ROCK girl! Yum! :-) I would have to say that my favorite kind of cheese is — Sharp cheddar — so good! Happy Friday! xoxo

Lauren July 22, 2011 at 4:54 am

Pizza parties are an epic experience!!! So glad you had a great night with your family.

katie July 22, 2011 at 5:18 am

I loved when I saw your pizza on the grill idea before on here, Mike and I still have to do that, I told him about it!

I would take any of those pizzas, they all look so damn good! I had a naan pizza recently with just cheese and mushrooms!

How sweet all of the family there and you guys all cooked yummy pizzas together, good times and good memories! Mama B looks so beautiful as always, and your niece is adorable!

Hope July 22, 2011 at 5:50 am

Those pizzas look amazing! I love that your entire family helped and made the pizzas together. So cute! :) I tried grilling a pizza on a FlatOut wrap and it was amazing! In fact, I’m debating on whether or not to have pizza tonight. So good! :)

My favorite cheese is either Munster or Mozzerella.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun July 22, 2011 at 5:50 am

That pizza all looks so awesome! And your niece looks JUST like you!

Vanessa July 22, 2011 at 5:54 am

Ohh I love grilled pizza! Amazing!

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 22, 2011 at 5:57 am

i have yet to make grilled pizza…it just gets so hot in the evenings here that i can’t imagine standing out on the patio in the sun and grilling! i think i would be stoked about the bbq chicken too though, it’s always one of my faves :)

brandi July 22, 2011 at 6:45 am

I would like a slice of all of them, please and thank you :)

PS: I *think I updated my info on the sheet for the auction (item, picture). I hope it’s there! Can’t wait for Monday – I think this is going to be incredible.

Holly @ The Runny Egg July 22, 2011 at 7:04 am

I love pizza and I want to try grilling pizza — the crust looks amazing.

The most recent pizza I had was a sausage and green olive pizza made by my mother in law — it was so good. I love green olives on pizza.

Lindsay@ In Sweetness and In Health July 22, 2011 at 7:25 am

Holy yum! Those all sound/look freaking amazing! The last pizza I ate was one topped with a bunch of veggies :).

MelissaNibbles July 22, 2011 at 7:27 am

I need to start grilling pizza. I need a grill.

The Teenage Taste July 22, 2011 at 7:52 am

I’ll choose homemade pizzas over take-out anyday. These looks fabulous. BBQ pizza is the bomb!

ilovefetacheese July 22, 2011 at 8:15 am

OMG YUM IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY!!

Lauri (RedHeadRecipes.com) July 22, 2011 at 9:10 am

i made pizza last night!! Caprese pizza–> mozzarella+basil+tomatoes+basil+Balsamic vin+olives+ricotta cheese! Oh, My!!!

Favorite cheese–> Goat chese, hands down!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List July 22, 2011 at 9:14 am

The BBQ chicken looks wonderful! I like sweet and savory combined.

Do Triscuit pizzas count? :) If so, that’s the last type I had.
Fav. Cheese: Right now, it’s the Laughing Cow Queso! I put it on everything in sight.

brindi July 22, 2011 at 9:23 am

the last pizza i had was a deluxe with all kinds of veggies. and my favorite cheese is fresh mozzarella or havarti

Christin July 22, 2011 at 9:46 am

You just made me realize I can’t remember what the last pizza was that I ate…that clearly means I need to eat more pizza! :)
As far as cheese, I could no sooner choose a favorite cheese than a favorite star in the sky. Cheese is my world.
I am excited for the auction on monday…gettin ready to do some bidding and crossing fingers!

Cassy July 22, 2011 at 9:52 am

i love this post! i love family!!
Grilled pizza it is tonight for me!

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife July 22, 2011 at 10:12 am

We made a pesto spinach brie cheese pizza the other day and it was amazing!

I love Gruyere and Blue cheese. YUMMMM

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats July 22, 2011 at 10:41 am

What a fun idea! I love that everyone helped out–that always makes it better unless there are too many people who want to be in charge! lol. The last pizza I had was green pepper, yellow squash, red onion, and basil. Random but those were the veggies left in the fridge that day! :) I really love a good sharp cheddar cheese! Yum!

Steph @ Running in the Kitchen July 22, 2011 at 10:52 am

Yummy! I’ve been so intrigued with grilled pizza but haven’t had the guts to try it yet. The last pizza I had was in Italy last month – prosciutto, arugula and Parmesan. Simple and delicious!

Shannon July 22, 2011 at 10:59 am

The grilling idea looks really good! I’ll have to give it a try on the BBQ some time.

Favorite pizza- cheese and sauteed mushrooms on thin crust.
Favorite cheese- sharp cheddar, but on pizza I just like mozzerella.

Shannon July 22, 2011 at 11:00 am

Oh that was also the last pizza I had. Didn’t read the question all the way through!

Jillian @ sprinkle massacre July 22, 2011 at 11:45 am

5 kinds of pizzas? I’m in love.. good thing I wasn’t there, none of you would have had any!! lol…. I have pizza every Sunday, but this past Sunday I had it with hot sauce and ranch, an old OLD drunk post bar favorite of mine. I totally forgot about it until we ordered wings too and I was dipping my pizza in the sauce, which led me to order a side of ranch and mix it with the hot sauce. YUM!

Cheese?? Ughhh there is no such thing as a favorite cheese!!! Seriously!?!?

Cat @Breakfast to Bed July 22, 2011 at 11:52 am

I have blogged about TWO grilled pizzas. Love them. The most recent was taco pizza with pepper jack and cheddar. The other one was grilled veg, goat cheese, and vinaigrette. I LOVE grilled pies.

Amanda July 22, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I bet you are insanely busy with the fundraiser. If you need any help or if there is ANYTHiNG I can do on Monday, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Glad you got to spend some time with family. :)

Biz July 22, 2011 at 1:41 pm

So excited about the auction – you are doing a great job organizing it all!

I am a cheese whore, so that’s hard to say – I did just pick up a smoked goat cheddar cheese at WF that is amazing! I could literally have a cheese, salami and cracker tray every night for dinner and never get sick of it.

Enjoy your weekend!

Susan July 22, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I remember saying this last time, but I’ve been wanting to make grilled pizza for like YEARS now! I have homemade pizza dough in the freezer right now too. I should get on that.

Last pizza I had was hummus, chicken, sundried tomato, and mozzarella on said homemade dough. It was so good! Try hummus as a sauce next time!!

BroccoliHut July 22, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Most recent pizza? Tonight’s Kashi Pesto Pizza. “twas delish.
My taste in cheese changes by the day, but lately I’ve been digging Pepper Jack.

KaraHadley July 23, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I see your niece is wearing a shirt with one sleeve and one tank-ish side. Is that popular with the kids these days? I have a 10y/o sister so I like to keep up on these sort of things.

Janetha July 23, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Hahaha, I have no idea! She is visiting from California so I don’t see her much.. but she’s pretty hip…

Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life July 25, 2011 at 4:17 pm

First, AWESOME job with the whole auction thing. Secondly, the most recent pizza I ate was homemade with turkey pepperoni. It was great!

Karen July 26, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Yummm I love BBQ chicken pizza… so tasty! My favorite!

Stephanie July 26, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE margherita pizza…sooooo good! The most recent kind I ate though was Italian sausage and mushroom. My favorite kind of cheese is a tie between provolone and colby. Love ’em both!

Koko@KokoLikes July 29, 2011 at 2:00 am

These look AMAZING. It’s so fun to have everyone involved with dinner, looking forward to trying some pizza on the grill!

Betty August 6, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Okay so I need to make this BBQ pizza.. Grill the dough then bake pizza in the oven? Or back in the grill??

Janetha August 8, 2011 at 12:48 am