birthday boy!

by Janetha on July 5, 2011

in dogs,recipes

somebody turned six today.

any guesses who it might be?

he’s got short legs, long ears, droopy eyes and a heart of gold.

the one and only randy dog is six years old!

doesn’t he age well?

birthdays are a big deal around here. i made randy a cake to celebrate.

dog-friendly peanut butter banana birthday cake.

ingredients:

• 1 overripe banana, mashed
  • 1 heaping spoonful of natural peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • splash of water
  • peanut butter for frosting

directions:

combine ingredients in a small bowl, in order, mixing well after adding each ingredient.

pour into a 5 x 7 baking dish that has been sprayed with oil.

bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

remove from oven and let cool.

frost with peanut butter. let the birthday boy lick the spatula.

top with a candle.

when the cake was ready, we lit the candle and sang “happy birthday” to mister magoo (we have a lot of nicknames for him.)

the pups were both licking their chops in anticipation of eating birthday cake.

and.. believe it or not.. randy actually blew out the candle all by himself! i hope he made a wish.

i cut the cake and served it to the two canines at the party. i hate the word “moist”, but there really is nothing else to describe the cake!

let them eat cake!

IMG_0512IMG_0514IMG_0527IMG_0531IMG_0524

favorite photo in 3, 2, 1..

ha!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RANDY DOG! love you lots.

in other news, last night marked mine & marshall’s four-years-as-boyfriend-and-girlfriend anniversary. i guess now that we are married, we shouldn’t celebrate that anymore…

see you tomorrow for the chobani winners, recent eats and some random weekend photos that i have failed so miserably at posting.

whose birthday did you last celebrate? was there cake? what kind?

Lauren July 6, 2011 at 10:43 am

Aww…happy birthday to your adorable doggie! :D

Tiffany @ Simply Shaka July 6, 2011 at 11:15 am

Awwww, happy birthday Randy!!! Am I wrong or is Penny the instigator of the two? She always looks mischievious (yet also like a little angel) and that she is up to something dirty.

My parents dogs birthday was yesterday and I wasnt there to celebrate but Lincoln was there with him and they had frosty paws!

Janetha July 6, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Penny is a little mischievous devil! You are so right. Although Randy DOES get into the trash.

Frosty paws?

Tiffany @ Simply Shaka July 7, 2011 at 10:22 pm

It’s a frozen cake treat for dogs-my parents dog is in love with them but he only gets them on special occasions.

Jane July 6, 2011 at 11:16 am

Oh my god. That last photo is priceless! What a fun treat for your doggie’s birthday!

Marissa July 6, 2011 at 11:24 am

Last birthday around these parts was my dad’s 51st! There was cake–CHEESECAKE! The next birthday to celebrate is MINE! I’d rather go out for frozen yogurt than have cake, though… unless my mom wants to bake me a cake! She doesn’t really like baking/cooking, but when I was little she had to always bake my birthday cakes from scratch because I was allergic to everything under the sun… I don’t even remember what they tasted like, lol, but I sure do miss them!

KaraHadley July 6, 2011 at 11:52 am

Those pictures are the greatest thing I’ve seen in a long time. Ahhh, now I’m extra sad I wasn’t home for my dog’s birthday. He turned 15 (on the same day I turned 20).

Janetha July 6, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Awe you have had your pup for so long! That’s special.

Paige @ RAN July 6, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I love it! I often make homemade PB biscuits for Niko, but I love the cake idea! And how adorable are the pups – as always!

Pure2raw twins July 6, 2011 at 12:05 pm

beyond adorable!!! the cake looks perfect

Happy Birthday Randy

PBJenny July 6, 2011 at 12:07 pm

I never thought I’d say that, but I wish I was your dog. Gimme dat cake!

Oh, and really? You should probably consider getting Randy an agent. He is a natural model!

Janetha July 6, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Seriously, I could use the extra cash.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather July 6, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I’d totally snag a bite of that birthday cake! Happy birthday to Randy! Last birthday we celebrated was Jacobs… Yummy confetti cake twice :)

Jess@atasteofconfidence July 6, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Aw happy birthday to him! I think it’s fine that you remember your boyfriend/girlfriend anniversary. Special day!

Niki (Life's a Payne) July 6, 2011 at 1:24 pm

My dogs don’t have birthdays as such because I don’t know when they were born. They are both adopted. Spud on June 26th and Maggie on July 8th. Since my b-day is July 9th and we are having a bbq with some other friends and dogs… I just might whip this bad boy up to celebrate! Thanks for the great idea!

Happy birthday Randy!

Janetha July 6, 2011 at 3:03 pm

You should for sure celebrate! We aren’t positive if his bday is July 5th but it is around there, so that’s what we do. We know Penny’s for sure, though.

Lee July 6, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Did you try the cake?

Jason and I still celebrate our dating anniversary too. It’ll be four years at the end of this month.

Janetha July 6, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Yes! It was delicious! A little bland because I didn’t add sugar or salt, but delicious none the less.

nic - the auspicious squirrel July 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Awww… way toooo cute! I loved the reaction the boys had when I would make them birthday cake. Such great memories! Bassets rule!

I think it is perfectly ok to still celebrate your ‘together’ anniversary! My husband and I were dating for 5 1/2 years before we were married, we totally celebrate both anniversaries! We just celebrated our 19 year together anniversary and will celebrate our 14 year wedding anniversary in a few months. It’s all good. More dates to have cake! :)

Janetha July 6, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I like the way you think!

Lindsey @ Cardio Pizza July 6, 2011 at 4:37 pm

LOVE your pups!!! Happy Birthday to your baby! Those eyes are just adorable.

Hm, last birthday I celebrated was Andy’s…and we didn’t have cake, but we went out to dinner and had ice cream! :)

Janetha July 6, 2011 at 4:38 pm

It’s all about the ice cream, anyway.

Alyssa July 6, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Squee!!!! SO cute!
Happy birthday, buddy!

Carey @ Positively Blonde July 6, 2011 at 5:14 pm

Awe what a cute idea! And thanks for the recipe, I’m going to save this for when my little Lucy turns 1 in October!!

Allie@LiveLaughEat July 6, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Aww my little doggies!! I always wonder if dogs and babies understand why they get cake/presents when it’s their birthday…or do they just think they got lucky? :)

Katie July 6, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Aww, happy birthday, Randy!! What a sweet doggy – and you are 100% awesome for making him a cake. I celebrated my nephew’s birthday last week (he’s three) and there wasn’t cake because he wanted brownies instead. Brownies with rocks (M&Ms) in them.

Also, I talked to Tona today, and we basically discussed how much we like you. ;-)

julie July 6, 2011 at 6:31 pm

jj wants to know why he wasn’t invited to randy’s birthday party! he would have probably eaten that ENTIRE cake

momma b. July 6, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Ahhh love that pup! What a fun celebration and the cake looks yummy! Happy birthday Randy pants xo!!

Shannon July 7, 2011 at 11:28 am

omg, those pictures are precious!!! happy birthday randy ;)

Sami July 7, 2011 at 11:33 am

happpy birthday randy dog! xo.

and i vote you still celebrate the date even though you’re married

Sarah July 8, 2011 at 1:10 am

Happy belated birthday randy! You don’t look a day over 2. x

Susan July 8, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I love doggie photo posts! (yes, I am one of those, but I love seeing your pretty face too). The fifth photo is my very favourite, although it may not show Randy Dog’s personality as you know it as well as the last one.

I Randy weren’t such a heavy hound dog I would try to steal him ;)

Emily July 9, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Super cute…and not to mention the SUPERSTAR of the Farmer’s Market. He is such a stud. P.S. Marshall’s arm look pretty big in that pic of him feeding Randy the peanut butter. You can tell he’s been working out. Hopefully that doesn’t sound creepy. You know what I mean.

I forgot to ask you about your cooking class. I’m glad you had fun. It looks like a really fun date! I never feel like we get to talk enough. Thanks for making the effort to meet up today, though. I always love to see you. You’re the best. xoxo

Stephanie July 9, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Just saw this post – better late than never!!! I LOVE this – the last picture is priceless!!!