try something new: make peanut butter.

by Janetha on June 27, 2011

in how to,Uncategorized

i have had my food processor for two years now. marshall gave it to me on our second (dating) anniversary.

two years and i have never made my own peanut butter! that’s ridiculous… especially when you consider how simple it is.

step 1: buy nuts. this was a pound of salted + roasted peanuts, because we like salty, roasted peanut butter.

step 2: dump nuts in processor.

step 3: turn processor on.

step 4: push nuts down with a rubber spatula if needs be.

step 5: totally optional.. add oil. i only added 1/2 tsp of canola oil to get things moving a bit better.

step 6: let the processor run for a few minutes.

step 7: admire your peanut butter.

IMG_9934IMG_9935

step 8: put it on a tiny condiment spoon so you can show everyone reading your blog how creamy it is.

step 9: put it in an old peanut butter jar.

step 10: eat it. duh.

i cannot believe how easy this was.. i am kind of mad that i have been buying peanut butter for the past two years.

1. do you make anything at home that you previously purchased pre-made? marinara sauce, hummus.. and now, nut butter. i would like to make my own bread.. one day at a time.

2. what is your favorite kind of nut or seed butter? (not brand—kind.) i love maple almond butter.

Gina June 28, 2011 at 6:24 am

I was shocked at how simple it is to make! And how fun it is to lick the processor clean ;)

I made my own cashew butter as well which wound up being much cheaper and equally as delicious as the store bought kind! Adding flavors like maple syrup, cinnamon and chocolate would be awesome too :)

Lisa June 28, 2011 at 8:56 am

Bread! It’s super easy in the bread machine, trust me.

I love peanut butter. Love it.

Janetha June 28, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I wish I had a bread machine!

Lisa June 28, 2011 at 2:35 pm

The key to getting one is dropping not-so-subtle hints to your family/family-in-law…and waiting until they have some extra Kohl’s cash about to expire. ;)

Colleenzo June 28, 2011 at 8:56 am

I make my own hummus, and really want to try making nut butter and coconut butter, but for some reason I doubt the power in my wee little food processor. I’ll give it a try, though!

Lisa @ I'm an Okie June 28, 2011 at 11:37 am

my mom always makes her own pb and it’s super tasty!

Megan June 28, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I just came across your blog! I had no idea that making peanut butter was so easy! I might have to make some of my own. Eventually I’d like to make just about everything at home, but for now, I’ll work on one thing at a time.

Janetha June 28, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Thanks for stoppin by!

Shanna, Like Banana June 28, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I want to dive into that jar of PB….and this is something I can see myself making for certain. I think the addition of some maple syrup would be out of this world ;)

Cherlyn June 28, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Really?? It’s that easy?? I would have never guessed. I am making more and more at home. Avoiding the restaurant scene.
Do you know if you can use a wheat grinder to make your own coconut flour? I’m having a hard time finding the stuff but I have plenty of coconut. :)

Sara June 29, 2011 at 2:25 pm

If you can even believe it, I totally screwed up my first attempt at almond butter. lol. I don’t know what I did, but I’ve been nervous to try it again since. I’ll have to give it a go, again! haha

Carolynne June 29, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Excellent! Thanks for this easy recipe. How long do you think the peanut butter will keep? If it even lasts very long, because I am sure I would eat it really quick. Anyway, just wondering!

Janetha July 1, 2011 at 11:02 am

The same as any other PB!

Israel July 3, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I have done this with almonds once…but yours looks so much better then mine turned out ha