faux birthday party.

by Janetha on May 30, 2011

in fun with friends

three day weekends should be mandatory every week! i love having this extra day to do essentially nothing.

last night was my unofficial official birthday party. my birthday isn’t until wednesday, but wednesdays aren’t good for parties, so we had everyone over last night.

i didn’t take a ton of photos because i was busy eating, drinking and being merry.. but i did manage to snap a few.

the appetizer spread was simple (and store-bought).. i didn’t want to make anything elaborate or labor intensive.

pita chips, hummus & veggies.

a vast array of chips.. did you know kettle chips makes their version of doritos? they are called “tias”. i picked up the cool ranch and salsa flavors.. they’re delicious and not full of crappy ingredients.

crack in the form of artichoke jalepeno dip.. yes, the one from costco. if you have had it then you know why i am calling it crack.

big bowl’o’fruit. strawberries are SO good right now.

some friends brought a few things for sharing.

the spiciest, most flavorful buffalo chicken dip. SO tasty.

amazing vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.. i am getting the recipe and making these ASAP.

i whipped up danica’s harvest grain salad—SO easy, SO vegan, SO delicious.. it was a huge hit and i will be making it again and again.

it was a BYOMBBQ (bring your own meat BBQ). marshall & i had cheddar burgers from whole foods.

i piled my burger with lots of avocado and a slice of an heirloom tomato, plus mayo, mustard and ketchup, all sandwiched between an udi’s whole wheat bun.

yes, those are plates from our christmas party and yes, the lighting was horrible where i was sitting. such is life.

party pics! we invited a lot of dogs..

after awhile it was time for cake. ice cream cake, to be exact. marshall came in from the garage with a flaming cookies & cream ice cream cake.

they sang. i made a wish…

then i blew out the candles..

the catch? they kept re-igniting!

marshall was dying in a fit of laughter and had to hand the cake over to me so he could laugh and i could continue trying to blow out the candles.

i eventually got all of them out! but i don’t think my wish is going to come true… maybe i will have to have another birthday cake on my actual birthday.

for the vegans, i made a batch of dark chocolate peanut butter filled cupcakes with whipped chocolate peanut butter frosting. long name, right?

these were good. really good. recipe coming eventually.

what’s a birthday party without a couple presents? i know, it wasn’t really my birthday yet, but we are pretending.

my creative guy friends handmade this wrapping paper.. they each drew a different owl on the four sides! i love them!

fun. inside the box was an avocado shaped guacamole bowl and a gift card to bed, bath & beyond. they know me so well.

jessica & simon got me an OWL LUNCH BAG! and a rad water bottle.

can you tell i was excited? a little.

great night! great food! great friends! thanks everyone! what a fabulous start to my birthday week.. yes, celebrating all week is acceptable.

well, it’s almost 1 PM and i am still in my pajamas. i guess i should go refill my coffee and cuddle with my dogs. god bless memorial day.

1. totally random: do you call it a “barbecue” (BBQ) or a “cookout”? i love it when i get comments from people calling it a cookout and i secretly wish that was the term we used here in utah. it’s so cute.

2. when is your birthday?

Alex May 30, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Your birthday looks like so much fun! I definitely call it a barbecue but I’m with you: l o v e the term cookout. Oh! And your guy friends are so amazingly thoughtful to draw owl wrapping paper for you.

Lenna May 31, 2011 at 2:16 am

Great you enjoyed your faux birthday party! I love how happy you look in those pictures!:)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 31, 2011 at 4:47 am

Aww, looks like you had a GREAT time! I LOVE the hand-drawn owls! I wouldn’t have been able to open the package!

I’ve always called it a cookout…every time I hear the word barbecue, I expect there to be barbecue at the cookout! ;)

My birthday is December 7…I’m so jealous of people with summer birthdays!

Hope May 31, 2011 at 6:04 am

What a fun birthday party! Everything looked so tasty! I love the wrapping paper with the owls! So creative!! :)

I call it a bbq. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone call it a cookout where I live. My birthday is March 25th. Happy Early Birthday, Janetha! :)

Brandi @ The Vitamin Bee May 31, 2011 at 6:36 am

Love the owl wrapping paper. So so cute!

We have always called it a cookout! Bbq is what you eat while you are there :)

My birthday is July 20th! Love having a summer birthday! It’s my favorite time of year

Shannon May 31, 2011 at 7:19 am

ooh, happy happy early birthday friend :) this looks like the perfect celebration to me!! i love cookouts… although i think i normally call them bbq’s. perhaps i like it b/c it’s shorter? My bday is aug 4, turning 30 this year–eek!

Suzi May 31, 2011 at 7:47 am

I just recently happened across your blog and I LOVE it.

I’m originally from Indiana, and now live in Virginia…and it is a cookout in both places. There are so many words that are different from IN to VA, but cookout isn’t one of them.

And my birthday is January 19th. I hate being a winter baby. I’ve always wished I could have a fun summer pool party or something.

MelissaNibbles May 31, 2011 at 8:17 am

Happy early birthday!

Karen May 31, 2011 at 8:50 am

What a fantastic way to spend your birthday! I like to call parties cookouts but my husband calls them picnics and I usually just end up calling them picnics…not sure how I adopted that : )

natalie (the sweets life) May 31, 2011 at 11:36 am

i agree….3 day weekends should be mandatory. i swear they make me calmer, happier, and more productive! :)

you have such great friends–what a fun early bday party!

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 31, 2011 at 6:22 pm

looks SO fun! Happy B-day soon :)

glidingcalm June 1, 2011 at 11:59 am

all i can say is YUM. Where was i?!

Sara June 1, 2011 at 2:52 pm

I have that guac bowl!! :D Happy birthday!