body for life: a summary
body for life is a program written by a man named bill phillips. often imitated, but never duplicated, bill’s plan is a surefire way to get healthy, skinny, toned, in shape and more importantly, stay that way.
body for life consists of a 12 week program referred to as “a challenge”. you can officially enter a contest and have your challenge judged and you can potentially win a lot of cool stuff.. but most people just do the challenge for themselves.
here are the basics:
- eat six small meals a day, 2 to 3 hours apart
- balance each meal with a carb, protein and healthy fat
- your portions should be about the size of your palm or fist. eyeballing is key in body for life. calorie counting is not necessary.
- i follow the rule of thumb: eat as many grams of carbs and protein each day for every pound you weigh. so, 120 lbs=120 grams carbs, 120 grams protein…divided by 6 meals= about 20 grams of each per meal.
- your ratios for where your calories come from at the end of the day should be 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat
- no white bread, white rice, white sugar, white pasta, super processed foods, high fat foods, super refined carbs, soda, sugary desserts, etc etc etc!
- every other day, you do a 20 min high-intensity interval cardio work out. there is a specific 20 minute structure based on RPE (rate of perceived exertion).
- every other day, you do a 45 minute weight training session. you alternate between upper and lower body work outs. there is a specific structure based on RPE to decide how much weight to use and how many reps you do for each muscle.
- drink a crapload of water. you may as well get a catheter because you will be urinating so much due to all the water consumption.
- one day a week, all these rules are thrown out the window and you do whatever you want. free day :)
okay so there is probably a lot more to know than that, but those are the basics.. if you do want to know more about body for life, read the book or ask me about it. i love body for life. i have a lot of resources for learning more about body for life and how to get started on it and how to stay on track.
the best part about body for life is it is free! the only thing it takes is motivation. and another bonus, it is a plan that is structured to be so manageable that you CAN do it for life. it is not just a 12 week thing. if you stop the program after just 12 weeks, you will end up where you started. but it teaches you habits that can be stuck to for ever and ever.. and you will never have to go back to being miserable and unhealthy and overweight!
i heart you, body for life.