500 rep (at home!) kettlebell workout.

by Janetha on January 22, 2015

in moves

hi, guys! almost friday! yay. actually, it probably is friday by the time you read this. hooray.

my week has been pretty busy! busy with work, even busier with fox. he’s in the “hold-me-at-all-times-and-gimme-all-the-attention” phase, so there hasn’t been much time to focus on things other than this cute little nugget.

NewImage

so, in an effort to keep my goal to work out three days a week, i had to get an at home workout in tonight. it’s already thursday and i’ve only made it to GPP once (for one sided revenge.. i loathe that workout!) and so i decided i better get to it so i can have the weekend to relax.

marshall strapped fox on to his chest and cooked dinner…

IMG 7316

…and i headed to my bedroom for a kettlebell workout. i made this one up and enjoyed it so much, i decided to share it with you guys!

NewImage

you actually don’t need a kettlebell to do this. a dumbbell would work just fine! i personally prefer kettlebells and i used my 26# one.

NewImage

there are five different moves and you complete 20 reps of each for five rounds. do the simple math and that adds up to 500 reps! it should take right around 20 minutes.

i have broken down each move below in my extra-professional bedroom fitness photo shoot. ;)

upright row. this one is great for your shoulders!

you want to stand shoulder-width apart, gripping the kettlebell with both hands.

IMG 7320

then, pull the kettlebell up toward your chin.

IMG 7321

repeat for a total of 20 reps.

front squat. this is also sometimes referred to as a goblet squat. you want to make sure to squat deep so you engage your glutes!

hold the kettlebell high against your chest (you can hold it however is most comfortable, i prefer upside-down.)

IMG 7323

stand with your toes and knees out, feet just slightly wider than your hips, and squat to parallel or below.

IMG 7324

side view.

IMG 7325

IMG 7326

repeat for a total of 20 reps.

kettlebell swing. i had to put this classic move in the workout!

the kettlebell swing can vary, but i prefer to swing it just above eye level. make sure you engage your core throughout the movement.

IMG 7332

repeat for a total of 20 reps.

single arm bent row. this is a great way to work on those lats.

bent over, keeping your back flat, and grip the kettlebell in your right hand. lean your left elbow on your left leg, like shown.

IMG 7335

pull the kettlebell upward so the top part of your arm is slightly above parallel with your back.

IMG 7334

repeat for a total of 10 times. switch sides and complete 10 reps with the other arm.

tick-tocks. this one hits those obliques. it also serves as a little break to catch your breath!

start with your legs together and the kettlebell in one hand, hanging to your side.

IMG 7337

lean a llll the way to one side. this is the “tick”!

IMG 7338

and then alllll the way to the other side. this is the “tock”!

IMG 7339

complete 10 reps on one side, then switch hands and complete 10 more reps on the other side.

now…. do that whole thing four more times for a total of 5 rounds, or 500 reps!

like i said, this took about 20 minutes. you want to go fast enough to make it challenging, but rest where needed. i would do a round and rest for about 15-30 seconds before starting the next one. it got my heart pumping, made me breathe heavy, and hit lots of different muscles! i definitely felt the burn.

afterward i had a delicious & nutritious meal waiting for me.. thanks marshall! best dude.

NewImage

meatball subs with mushrooms (sans cheese because i’m off dairy) and a spinach salad. hit the spot!

well, we are in the midst of watching fargo. super good series so far. gotta go!

1. where do you work out?

2. do you like using kettlebells? what’s your favorite kettlebell exercise?

Rachel January 22, 2015 at 10:35 pm

WOOHOO for sticking to your goals even though you didn’t make it to GPP! I might have to try that workout this weekend if the weather is too bad to go to the gym.

jessiker January 22, 2015 at 10:36 pm

MILF

Erica January 22, 2015 at 10:58 pm

Looking good Mama! I never look that nice when I workout at home haha. I prefer the gym or outside, but you I make it work at home when I need to! Delicious dinner!

Corrie Anne January 22, 2015 at 11:12 pm

Nice work!! I’m going to be needing some at-home workouts soon too. We’re working on our garage gym since we’ll be alternating at CrossFit when our baby boy comes! We have two kbs, and goblet squats are one of my favorite movements that still feel okay when I’m super pregnant. The hardest part with kettlebells is making sure I don’t hit one of the dogs in the head… they like to hover. :)

Stacey January 23, 2015 at 8:55 am

I have that problem with our elliptical – our youngest dog chases my feet :)

Kristen January 23, 2015 at 6:00 am

We’re lucky to have great kids programs at our gym so I go there regularly. I love setting the example that going to the gym is just part of our routine!
When my daughter was younger (baby and toddler) I did a lot more home workouts.

Trisha January 23, 2015 at 6:33 am

Love kettlebell workouts! We have a pretty nice little set up in our basement; complete dumbbell set, bands, exercise balls, mats, 5 or so Beach Body DVD sets, and space for quick sprints. Sometimes when the hubby is working out downstairs, I’ll opt for a quick kettlebell workout in our bedroom. However, I’ve dropped my kettlebell on our hardwood floors a handful of times so he’s a bit more willing to wait to do his workout so I can get mine in downstairs before him. He put the floors in all by himself and takes great pride in keeping them looking nice. Apparently that doesn’t include dents from my kettlebells!

Jenn @ Mark My Miles January 23, 2015 at 7:13 am

I don’t work out at home because I enjoy having the “me” time and there is little space. I wake up extra early to get to the gym and get mine in before the others wake up.

Rachel January 23, 2015 at 8:25 am

Good job on the workout girl!!

My apartment complex has a fabulous 5,000 sq ft gym, so that’s where I work out. Thankfully my building is the closest one so it’s right outside the door. I don’t do kettlebells, but I do mix up heavy lifting and cardio.

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine January 23, 2015 at 8:33 am

I love doing squats with the kettlebell!

Stephanie @ My Freckled Life January 23, 2015 at 10:17 am

Great workout! I love kettlebells, but don’t use them nearly often enough. I’m definitely going to have to try this next time I head to the gym and am feeling uninspired!

Katie January 23, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Workout… At the gym! I have such a tough time with working out at home! Gah… favorite KB exercise… upright row!

Amanda January 24, 2015 at 9:36 am

That pic of Marshall wearing Fox is EVERYTHING! So adorable.

Janetha January 26, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Haha I know, makes me swoon!

Gretchen January 24, 2015 at 11:13 am

I love Kettlebells. Reading this blog post last night gave me the motivation to give this workout a go! I used a 25lb kettlebell but did just ten reps for the first three moves. I’m eight weeks postpartum and still working on regaining strength. This was still a killer workout! Thank you for sharing!

Janetha January 26, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Good job, mama! Hope you are loving your little babe so much! So happy for you :)

Nikki January 25, 2015 at 7:39 am

My husband will never wear our son, even in private. You are lucky!

Janetha January 26, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Really? Why doesn’t he want to? I think M wears Fox more than I do, because he prefers to have his arms free when he’s holding him (and I just like to hold him haha so I don’t wear him much.)

Nikki January 26, 2015 at 1:58 pm

My husband does a lot for the “principle of it”. Hahaha. Our son is 7 months old now. He actually doesn’t like to be held as much as when he was younger so he spends a lot of time in his baby swing or his little doggie chair or we play with him on the ground with a blanket.

Janetha January 26, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Haha that’s funny! I am super excited for when Fox can sit up and play, really looking forward to that actually. I know he likes being upright wayyyy better!

Becca January 26, 2015 at 5:24 pm

This workout was awesome! I’ve been focusing on running and building up my mileage, so I’ve been needing more cross training like this, loved how quick and effective it was!

Janetha January 27, 2015 at 12:20 pm

jessica January 30, 2015 at 6:46 pm

I know this post is a few days old, but wanted to tell you This workout rocks! Somehow my 13 year old son was down for doing it with me (neither of us work out consistently) so we agreed to only do 3 rounds, but ended up doing all 5. I could barely walk for 2 days ha! It will be a once a week thing!

Janetha January 31, 2015 at 9:09 am

So glad you guys did it! Great job on making it through all the rounds. I often will plan to just do part of something then in the midst of it will power through. Yay!