summer vacation: last boston bits + first day in maine.

by Janetha on August 5, 2013

in eating out,travel

hi! happy monday. mine was rough.

it was my first day back to work after ten days off, so there was lots of catching up to do. i am so sick of quickbooks… after work i headed to the gym for burpee surprise (and not the good kind of surprise) followed by a bang trim. then i raced home and made dinner for marshall. i fixed chicken breasts stuffed with olive tapenade and goat cheese served with spinach linguine and steamed asparagus. i made a sauce to accompany the chicken by combining a can of diced tomatoes, a few tablespoons of tomato paste, fresh basil, dried oregano, salt, pepper, and a heavy handed pour of the best sauce on the planet–grandma sandino’s. we buy it here locally at the farmers market, but i saw you can buy it online. you really, really should.. it’s THAT good.

anyway, after fixing dinner (i put my serving in the fridge and am actually eating it now) i headed to the second workout of the day. like i mentioned yesterday, it’s Rx+ week at my gym. for five days i will be participating in 2-a-day workouts (one on site at the gym and one offsite somewhere else.) today’s offsite workout was hill sprints. it was a lot of fun! there were so many people in attendance which made the workout more of a good time rather than hard work. i am looking forward to the rest of the week and participating in all the workouts!

tonight i want to recap day three of my summer vacation. this was definitely a jam packed day, so grab a snack and get ready to read a novel!

after two days in boston, we woke up wednesday morning and checked out of the hotel so we could head to portland, maine! we needed some breakfast, first, so we stopped in at trident bookstore because i’d had a recommendation from someone (thanks to whoever suggested it!)

IMG 1111IMG 1116

we sat on the patio so we could enjoy newbury street (my favorite!) the service ended up being slow, but the server soon apologized and let us know that someone hadn’t shown up for his shift. i can appreciate that! i am glad he explained. i had coffee and a fresh beet-spinach-carrot-apple juice.

IMG 1113

i also ordered the breakfast burrito which came with a side of homemade salsa. i loved the mushrooms and avocado in the burrito. it was the best breakfast i’d had on the trip yet!

IMG 1121

marshall had the huevos rancheros which came with fried plantains. i tried one and they were on the sweet and mushy side, but they were tasty and reminded me of jamaica.

IMG 1120

after breakfast we hit the road. we had plenty of time, so we decided to drive through salem on our way to maine. we toured the salem witch museum which was interesting and educational. salem is an adorable town!

IMG 1132IMG 1133

after about an hour in salem, we got back on the road. i can’t believe how many toll booths we passed, we don’t have those in utah so it was different for us.

IMG 1136

we made a pit stop in kittery, maine so we could shop at the outlet stores. we went to puma, nike, reebok, and under armour.. haha.. can you tell we like workout gear? i got a pair of under armour shorts and a pair of nike shorts. marshall picked up a few things, too.

we rolled into portland, maine just after 3 o’clock. we checked into pomegranate inn, which is a cute little bed & breakfast on the west end of town.

IMG 1316

i can’t tell you how much i adored pomegranate inn! the decor was my favorite part–so many mismatched items that somehow worked perfectly together. they refer to the inn as a “living piece of art” and that could not be more correct. i know it’s photo overload, but you have got to see this place!

there were a few different sitting areas throughout the inn.

IMG 1250IMG 1251

the crazy staircases were so fun. so many different patterns, knickknacks, furniture and pieces of art. the windows throughout the inn were also all very beautiful.

IMG 1252

our room–we stayed in room #2.

IMG 1137IMG 1138IMG 1139

hi!

IMG 1162

and the bathroom.. complete with old school tub. loved it. the tile was rad, too.

IMG 1186IMG 1188
IMG 1187IMG 1189

we hadn’t eaten since boston, so we decided to head out to find some food immediately. once again, i turned to my trusty suggestions and we decided to go to silly’s for a late lunch/early dinner/whatever you want to call it.

IMG 1167

the first thing i noticed was a different set of salt & pepper shakers on each table. it immediately made me think of momma b, she is an avid S&P shaker collector! we had these cute snails.. to which marshall pointed out the irony since salt kills snails. haha.

IMG 1169

we started with a couple of drinks.. i had an allagash white, brewed right there in portland. LOVED the tin can it came in. cheers!

IMG 1173

marshall ordered a burger with white cheddar + fries. i had a bite and can vouch that it’s one of the best burgers i’ve tasted in years.. maybe in my life!

IMG 1175

i ordered the “birdhouse in my soul” per our server’s suggestion. it was toast with roasted turkey breast, spinach, tomato, onions, avocado puree, and bacon. i also ordered the sweet potato fries which were INCREDIBLE…especially when dipped in a mixture of their house made hot sauce (it had a buffalo tang to it) and their honey mustard. i could have just eaten that concoction with a spoon.

IMG 1176

this was definitely the best meal of the trip (so far) but i can’t say it was the very best, because EVERYTHING i ate in maine turned out to be “the best meal we have had!” i really had no idea that portland was such a foodie paradise! we went there for a concert, but i could have stayed for a whole month eating at all the great restaurants. we definitely lucked out by randomly choosing portland as our vacation destination.

we walked back to the inn and did some shopping on congress street along the way. portland has just as many beautiful sights as boston did. i quickly fell in love with the little city.

IMG 1196IMG 1180

once back to the inn, we rested for a bit and then cleaned up to head back out for the concert. the whole reason for our trip was to see beach house perform at the state theater. the venue was immaculate and the sound was incredible. the lights and display throughout beach house’s set left me in awe. unfortunately photos don’t do it justice. i did post a little video snippet on my instagram here. the show did not disappoint, we had so much fun!

after the show we needed a late-night snack, so i turned to yelp to see what was open. we wanted pizza, but didn’t really want to go to a bar and the only place open at that hour to get pizza was a bar. then i randomly pulled up the blue rooster food co and saw they were open until 2 AM. we decided to drive there to grab a bite.

IMG 1199

marshall and i shared an order of tot-tine–tater tots topped with fresh cheese curds and house made chicken gravy. i had never had poutine before so this was my first experience with it, even though it was a spin off. INSTANT LOVE. i mean–cheese, potatoes, gravy.. what’s not to love?

we also split the red eye breakfast sandwich. it was a buttermilk biscuit filled with pork belly, a fried egg, hash browns, and red eye mayo. we doused it in their homemade hot sauce.

IMG 1204

this was ridiculously delectable. words can’t even describe how much i loved both items we picked. i had to go tell the guy running the register how awesome it was! i also grabbed a homemade brownie on my way out. it was thick and fudgy and nothing short of fantastic.. as expected.

whew.. told you our third day was a doozy! it was definitely the best day of the trip–partially because of the show but also because of the great food, the fun shopping, the scenic drive, and discovering portland. i always say i never want to go back to the same vacation destination twice because there’s so much to see.. but you wouldn’t have to twist my arm to get me back to portland.

i still have two more days of the trip to share. can’t wait to tell you more about amazing maine!

1. what was the last live show you attended?

2. what town(s) have you been to that you would call a “foodie paradise”? in addition to portland, san francisco and london are both on my list.

Carly @ Snack Therapy August 5, 2013 at 10:36 pm

All of the food looks beyond amazing. That white cheddar burger? I would live inside of that bun if I could. San Francisco is definitely high up on my foodie paradise list! LA also has some great food, simply because there are so many options.

LisasFitLife August 5, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Food looks amazing. I live near Portland but have never been. I need to check that place out for some good eats!

Two a day workouts. Nice!

emily August 6, 2013 at 2:56 am

I read this in bed pre-5 am and all of your Maine food still made me drool!

1. Shaggy, think. I’ve only been to a few shows.
2. Toronto, NYC, Boston, Charleston, and I sort of thought that Buffalo held its own in the food scene.

Julia @ hungryandconfused August 6, 2013 at 4:05 am

Have always thought I’d like Portland and now, after seeing those food photos, I KNOW I’ll like it! Bologna in Italy, Valencia in Spain and New Orleans would definitely be on my foodie list.

Erica August 6, 2013 at 4:18 am

Good luck with the two a days! I love your outfit from day 3 of the trip. Please come dress me- I have no idea how to pick out clothes (seriously, I’m terrible at it). All of the food looks amazing- especially the sweet potato fries!

jaima August 6, 2013 at 5:48 am

We stayed at pomegranate inn too. We loved Portland. Glad you did too.

D August 6, 2013 at 5:52 am

Janetha, you are a rockstar. I am a pig and unable to exercise.
You = rockstar. (for just walking) . Ha. (wish I were joking)..

Question: what is a good breakfast “detox” smoothie after hard core late night continuous bad eating habits (bad)? Can it include protein powder? Simple, basic and effective. I only have a magic bullet, not sure if you know how to use that effectively without breaking it :)

Also curious if juices can be made in the magic bullet…not sure. Anyway.

Have a good Tuesday.

Janetha August 6, 2013 at 8:31 am

thanks, d! i like making my smoothies with a scoop of protein powder, a cup of unsweetened almond milk, a couple servings of fruit, lots of spinach, and ice. the magic bullet should be able to whip one of these up for you, no problem!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 6, 2013 at 7:33 am

I can’t even decide what looks best out of everything you ate, it all looks amazing. I love poutine, but I’ve never tried it with tater tots – that’s all kinds of brilliant. I haven’t been to too many ‘foodie’ towns, but everything I ate in Chicago was amazing when I went last fall!

Janetha August 6, 2013 at 8:30 am

how did i leave chicago off the list?! sooo yummy.

Tamara August 6, 2013 at 7:37 am

Wow, can’t wait to visit there someday, now!

sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com August 6, 2013 at 7:50 am

Best foodie place I have ever been to is Florence, Italy. THE BEST FOOD I HAVE EVER EATEN

I love the claw foot bathtubs! Back in college, my roommate and I rented an apartment just because of the claw foot bathtub! I would love to have one in my own house someday

Chelsea August 6, 2013 at 9:01 am

That tub is fantastic!

betty August 6, 2013 at 9:17 am

I think my last live show was tegan and sara, but its been so long, I cant remember :( and i cant say I’ve been to a ton a ‘foodie friendly’ cities, but i loved Chicago when i went on my work trip. it sucks i was terribly sick the whole time, but that didn’t stop me from eating so good food!

you look gorg by the way :)

Corrie Anne August 6, 2013 at 9:43 am

The inn looks adorable! And Silly’s looks so cute!!! What a fun place to visit! I’m pretty sure the last live shows I’ve been to were classical concerts. Haha. I wouldn’t go so far as to call Denver a foodie paradise, but I’m pretty happy that we can always go on date night somewhere new & fun if we want… we stick to our neighborhood a lot out of pure laziness!!

Annette@FitnessPerks August 6, 2013 at 11:15 am

Oh my gosh! Those sweet potato fries! I WANT!!

ali moll August 6, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Last live show was Bruno Mars last Friday night, LOL!

I’ve never been to Portland, Maine but I definitely want to go now! Loved the B & B! Super cute!

Have fun with 2xdays! Carl said you rocked Burpee Surprise last night!

Janetha August 6, 2013 at 2:12 pm

love you, ali!

andrea August 6, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I’m so glad you went to Salem, it’s so cute there…and no tolls in Utah??? Lucy You, they are everywhere in Jersey. After reading this I may want to drive up to Maine..is a weekend enough time?? How long did you stay in Maine?

Janetha August 6, 2013 at 2:57 pm

We were there half of Wednesday, all of Thursday, and most of Friday. A weekend is sufficient, but I wish I’d been there longer!

Megan (The Lyons' Share) August 6, 2013 at 2:47 pm

I’ve lived in both Chicago and Boston, and the food in both of those cities is pretty hard to beat! Although I think New York takes the cake for the most easily-accessible, on-the-go healthy options. The meal you prepared last night sounds pretty delicious, too!

Amy Q August 6, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Maine and Utah are different sides of a many-sided beautiful coin (ok, that doesn’t even make sense!) But what a gorgeous country we live in, eh? I love Maine AND Utah…….and lots of places in between, above and below :)

jessiker August 6, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Must. Go. To. Maine. All that food looks incredible. I love the tator tot thingamabob ! What a cute B&B as well. I love your life.

lindsay August 6, 2013 at 4:54 pm

you’re a hottie. Bow chicka bow wow.

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie August 6, 2013 at 6:26 pm

what a fun trip so far! you guys are fitting a lot in. I absolutely loved Salem, but I haven’t been in a few years.

jen August 6, 2013 at 8:13 pm

your sandwich is named after a they might be giants song!!!! :)

well, my next show is this insane band http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJR7iMQ0EuU

local philly wackos, so you’d have to head east again to see the grooviness.

Meg @ A Dash of Meg August 7, 2013 at 7:32 am

girl, that inn is way too cute! i want to go to maine just for that! omg i would totally stay there! loved hearing about your food adventures, too, love! i would love to see you again and go to a ton of restaurants with you <3 you're so fun! the last live show i saw was taylor swift! :)

Cindy | Paper Peonies August 7, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Can I just say that I loooooove that you stopped in Salem and visited the Salem Witch Museum? I grew up in Salem and actually worked at the Salem Witch Museum all throughout high school. Too funny!

Kelly August 13, 2013 at 8:29 pm

After reading for all these years, it’s so weird to see pictures of my town on your blog. Glad you visited Salem! :)