three things thursday.

by Janetha on April 18, 2013

in moves

hello!

almost to the weekend, guys. it’s been a busy week for me and i am looking forward to the weekend. this weekend will be my last one that isn’t jam-packed until june 8th. yup. juuune freakin’ eighth! that’s okay, it’s all jam packed with cool stuff, so i can’t complain. i love low-key weekends, though, so i am going to be sure to soak this last one up!

how about a little list action? three things thursday style…

1. i made my desk a standing desk today!

IMG 7164

so.. last night marshall brought up the fact that it is so bad to sit ALL. DAY. LONG. it’s true, it’s bad for your health, your posture, your sanity…

anyway, i sit at my desk for roughly eight hours a day minus a few times i get up to do things.. but i am basically planted in my chair all day long. i am lucky to get 1800 steps in by the end of the work day! oh, and want to know something super weird? well, maybe not so weird.. but interesting none the less…

i didn’t really start having digestive problems until about 9-10 years ago. coincidentally, that is when i started an office job (i had one before my current job.) before the office job life, i worked in retail, was a waitress, worked at a deli.. basically did jobs where i was always on my feet!

i am wondering if sitting down all day has anything to do with my lazy colon? i wouldn’t be surprised. for real.. it makes sense!

anyway, i have always wanted to have a standing desk.. so after yesterday’s conversation i decided i would figure out how to make one today. turns out it was way easy. i propped my monitor up on a wooden block so it tilted upward toward my face. i set my wireless keyboard on my inbox. BAM.. standing up desk, just like that.

IMG 7163IMG 7162

i stood up for a few hours today and it actually felt good! this new situation gets a thumbs up from me.

IMG 7175

2. today is my one year anniversary of GPP!

IMG 7152

wow.. can’t believe a year has gone by. i won’t get all sappy, but i have to say that GPP has CHANGE MY LIFE. not just my fitness routine. i have learned so much about myself, about health, about LIFE thanks to GPP. and.. added bonus? i am stronger, faster, and more fit than i’ve ever been.

IMG 7090 1

i have also met some of the greatest girls in the world and they have become forever friends.

IMG 3707

since it’s HELLth week this week, we couldn’t do my first workout to celebrate my anniversary. however, katie and lindsay will be here next friday (we are planning for blend retreat!) we are going to do my first workout then, so the girls can experience the fabulousness that is GPP.

3. randy lost four pounds!

IMG 7122 1

this big guy had a vet check up and rabies shots and i was happy to find out he’s lost some weight. that’s great news for his basset hound back. being a long dog with little legs can’t be easy.. so staying slim and trim is important for him. he wasn’t necessarily overweight before, but the vet said that this weight loss (thanks to many days playing at doggy daycare!) is great since he is getting older (he will be 8 this year) and getting around will be easier for him since he’s not a fatty. maybe i should enroll in doggy daycare ;)

pen lost about a pound.. she’s in great health, too!

that’s all i have for tonight. happy friday tomorrow!

oh and a little PSA.. my friend kerryne got a new blog! make sure you update your bookmarks if you are following her :)

Q~

do you spend the majority of your day on your feet or sitting down?

Lynne April 19, 2013 at 12:27 am

I have a chunky 13 year old Aussie Shepherd mix who started getting Arthritis. A friend recommended DGP, Dog Gone Pain. I get it online at Vitacost because they have auto ship. Just thought I’d pass it along to your Hound Dog.

Erica April 19, 2013 at 4:22 am

Go Randy !!! omgoshilovehim. Just the cutest. Congrats to Ms. Penny too. Healthy mama, healthy babes! I think the standing desk is a great idea. On the days I work, I try to shift around and work in different spots with my laptop- sometimes sitting, sometimes standing. Definitely makes me feel better. You are looking fantastic. Glad GPP has been wonderful for you. RELAX this weekend!

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats April 19, 2013 at 4:47 am

Love the idea of a standing desk. I sit way too much at work too. I’m thinking of getting a fitbit to track steps and motivate me to move more during the day.

Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife April 19, 2013 at 5:15 am

I never thought about sitting a lot would cause digestive problems… That makes sense.

Cancan April 19, 2013 at 5:16 am

this is very interesting I too have digestive issues and I have to say I have a desk job and the issues actually coincide with the desk job as well. I think you may be right in that sitting all day may make the colon lazy. I used to work with a wonderful person who uforunately has passed last year due to a car accident but she used to sit on a giant ball and I am considering that myself. Happy Friday!

katie April 19, 2013 at 5:19 am

YAY for a stand up desk, very good idea! I used to sit for 8 hours at my office job and would try to get up and move around as much as possible!

Your eyelashes look FAB! Just so you know ;)

Love you!

Christine Hubal April 19, 2013 at 5:39 am

Love the standing desk idea. I have been working on making my exercise ball a chair this week. There are actually ball chairs out there, but that seems to defeat the purpose to me. I may give up on the a while do the standing thing instead. This is for my home computer. Fortunately (or not) I am like a jack in the box at work…type a few words and pop up to check someone in, answer a phone, run to the front desk. I should be skinny as a rail!

Linz @ Itz Linz April 19, 2013 at 6:05 am

i’m a third grade teacher so i’m definitely standing up and moving around most of the day – no time for sitting! i want a treadmill desk for my home!!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles April 19, 2013 at 6:09 am

That’s really interesting about sitting contributing to your digestive issues…it might be something I’ll have to look into as a possible cause for my own struggles.
I definitely spend most of the day sitting, but I’m hoping that in the fall my apartment will be big enough that I’ll have room for a treadmill desk.

MizFit April 19, 2013 at 6:11 am

I LOVE My standing desk.
ok
so it’s really standing at the kitchen island and working but it has soo helped my back.

Lee April 19, 2013 at 6:28 am

Sitting and I have horrible posture. Perhaps I should look into a standing desk.

betty April 19, 2013 at 6:54 am

i actually got a cyst on my tailbone whne i had to work 2 – 80 hr work weeks. it was miserable.. now i try to get up atleast every house and walk around the building so i’m not SO sedentary.

yayyy randy! i couldnt keep weight on scout when he was going to doggy daycare.. i really want to get him back into that place! right now the vet says hes a perfect size at 55 lbs.

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles April 19, 2013 at 6:57 am

I spend most of my day sitting down because that’s just the perks of being a student. Lots and lots of class and studying and meetings. I do try to walk whenever I can, take the stairs over the elevator, etc. Plus, with the amount of water I drink on a daily basis, I have to get up often to go to the bathroom! (TMI?)

Melissa April 19, 2013 at 7:18 am

I LOVE love my standing desk

LG April 19, 2013 at 7:58 am

I love the word “fatty” when describing animals. :0)

Lauren April 19, 2013 at 8:19 am

I use to sit all day and now that I’m working in a restaurant, I am on my feet for sometimes 12+ hours. It has caused me to be restless though, so when I do sit down, I can hardly stand to be still.

calee April 19, 2013 at 8:50 am

I’m super fortunate to have had a standing desk since 2008. The desk I’ve got at my current job goes up and down so now I sit part of the day (since the ankle sprain last fall). However, there are days that I sit all day because I’m tired, lazy, etc. and I kind of wish I didn’t have that option any more. Feet/ankles hurting — legit reason to sit. Laziness? not so much. Glad you’ve got a standing option now too!

Stacey April 19, 2013 at 9:23 am

How great for Randy! Can’t be easy to lose weight at 56 years old ;)
I’m shocked you work with 1 monitor with how busy you always seem… I’d be demanding at least 1 more if not 2! Everyone at my company has at least 2 screens – most people 3 and there are 300+ of us. Makes a WORLD of difference for your efficiency.
Enjoy the weekend!

Janetha April 19, 2013 at 10:27 am

Wow, I never thought of multiple monitors. I am just a big user of “alt+tab” to toggle between programs ;)

Anna @AnnaTheApple April 19, 2013 at 9:39 am

I spend all day long sat down at my desk. I get up and walk to our little kitchen to get a drink about a zillion times a day, which in turn means a zillion trips to the toilet as well so I guess that’s not too bad, but it isn’t brilliant. I wouldn’t mind standing up a few hours every day!
Bless your basset on losing weight. I bet he doesn’t even care hehe.

Lisa April 19, 2013 at 9:48 am

I want a standing desk so bad! They look so cool, and I pretty much sit all day besides daily workouts, so yah, pretty sure that would be helpful.
I didn’t know it could contribute to digestive issues though, hmmm, now I’m thinking this may make sense to why my stomach is a hot mess.
Yay for Randy losing some weight! He’s such a cutie.
And I LOVE your eyelashes in your photo with the thumbs up. They look amazing!
Happy Friday!!

natalie@thesweetslife April 19, 2013 at 11:07 am

ugh i would LOVE a standing desk because, like you, i do wayyyy too much sitting at work! unfortunately i don’t think that would fly at my office :(

Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin April 19, 2013 at 11:10 am

That’s funny because just in the last week I’ve started studying and doing work at my kitchen counter and standing up. I realized it was making my back/neck sore sitting at my desk all day! My parents think I’m weird but it’s much more comfortable and makes me less achy!

Ja @Ja on the RUN April 19, 2013 at 11:50 am

I am currently studying for boards and I do a lot of sitting down. Sometimes I get up, walk around while reading my books. LOL! :)

kristen @ livinlifeinlouie April 19, 2013 at 12:03 pm

It just depends on the day, at work we can go none stop and sit only to chart (life in the NICU) other days we sit more than not.
I would love to see how many steps I take a day!

Heather @ Better With Veggies April 19, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Ugh…I know I sit too much and I’ve been reading about people converting to standing desks. I really need to look into that too – adding it to my list this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

Margaret April 19, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Oddly enough, I was just thinking about this. I used to have an office job, sat 8 hours a day, and had a lot of digestive issues. Now I work at a bakery and am on my feet for 8-12 hours a day, and I don’t have any issues! I’m convinced that my stomach wasn’t able to function properly when I was sitting all day long. Hope your standing desk helps!

Elizabeth M. April 19, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Woop for randy!! I’ve been making peanut veggie purées to add volume to his food so he can get a little less… He loves it!

Kathleen April 20, 2013 at 7:10 am

Im lucky, i stand/walk /kneel all day (elementary school teacher) I always wanted to count my steps per day.
Did you ever sit on a yoga/stability ball at your desk? I do at home and it makes a nice difference

julie April 20, 2013 at 9:19 am

kiiiiiind of really love the idea of that standup desk! i sit WAY too much at work its annoying!

Sarah (The Simple Dietitian) April 20, 2013 at 11:36 am

I’m going to take your lead and start standing up more often at work. I totally COULD do it, as I work in a hospital where I could just stand next to the bedside charts while writing, but somehow I always gravitate towards sitting. Time to make this my goal! :D

AND, I adore your scarf in that picture of you standing with your desk!!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 20, 2013 at 8:49 pm

The gut issues and the sitting all day definitely make sense and make me wonder if you’ve thought or tried seeing a chiropractor for it? Since I started seeing mine, I’ve really learned how EVERYTHING is connected and since working in the office, I’ve heard my chiros ask patients if they were having any digestive issues because they could tell based on the misalignments in their spine. IT’S CRAZY!

Kristina April 21, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Yay Randy! I want to go to doggy daycare with them if they’re getting results ;)

I work from home mostly, so sometimes I try to work from my kitchen counter so I can stand up. Except it’s in the kitchen, so you can take a guess how that goes!

Maxine April 21, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Thanks for sharing this tip about your desk! I need to stop procrastinating and do something about my situation too. I have noticed that my knee pain is a lot less intense and even on-existence in some cases, when I spend less time sitting on my butt at my desk. When I was in Arizona, I did 85 km’s of activities (hiking, walking, running) on foot in 6 days and had no knee pain! SOme people say sitting is the smoking of our generation.

Sarah April 22, 2013 at 4:49 am

Never thought of a standing desk before! My posture is horrendous – I sit at the breakfast bar and just hunch over – always got aching shoulders. Going to look at how I can adopt the standing desk in my home. Thanks!

cookie April 22, 2013 at 6:27 am

Just thought – great idea the standing desk. And so easy! I can do that.as well. Then I remembered how short you are…

Janetha April 22, 2013 at 8:22 am

haha it helps that i am so low to the ground already ;)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli April 23, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Geez, I WISH I could get Tiger to lose some weight! I swear I didn’t realize how big he’d gotten until I stumbled over some pics from when I first got him about 6 years ago…the dude has like TWO CHINS!! Of course, you’d think with all the hairballs he’s always hacking up all over the house (on my frickin’ couch?!?!) he’d weigh a lot less! Hmm, TMI? Eh, whatevs!

Love the standing desk! One of our radiologists petitioned for standing desks in all of their offices and they’ve got a really sweat deal going on now..the whole desk is mounted on the wall with hinges so at any time, it can be brought to a seated or standing level! Pretty friggin’ genius!

Tamar April 23, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Standing desks changed my life! I am at work for 9.5 hours a day, and sitting for that long kills me (in fact, sitting through a 2-hour movie kills me!) I bought a drafting table on craigslist with a office stool and can go back and forth between standing and sitting easily. I have WAY more energy now and I don’t feel like I’m destroying my lower back! I probably do half and half, because apparently standing all day is bad for you too :)