three tip thursday [12].

by Janetha on July 26, 2012

in guest posts,tips

hola! i am still out of town! today i have katelyn sharing her three tips with you. katelyn is wise beyond her years. i got to know her in philly last year and was surprised that she’s over a decade younger than me (yeah.. that ages me.. oh well!)  anyway, she’s a breath of fresh air and full of energy—i know you will enjoy this post, i sure did!

Hi everyone! Katelyn from Chef Katelyn over here. I’m so glad that Janetha is hosting me today! We’re tight buds that bonded over dogs at HLS last year.

Let’s start chatting!  Little bit about me: I’m not a chef. You should know that part. I attend Syracuse University, and I don’t know what I’m majoring in yet, but that’s perfectly normal, or so I’m told. Alpha Xi Delta sister, reppin hardcore. I love long naps on the beach, selfies, drinking coffee, trying out weird moves that make my muscles shake (birddogs? what?), eating food that looks wrong to most people but is oh so good for me, and most of all, being spunky.

Block Party was obviously named after me.

Now that you know a little about me, it’s time for me to give you some unadulterated Chef Katelyn life advice. You’re welcome in advance.

1. I’m making this number one because I think it’s the most important. Take time to do nothing, or something that makes you feel like a million. Correction: Take time to go out. My favorite way to do this: Wine and a bubble bath, catching up on your favorite trashy reality TV, or having a raging good time with your friends and eating food that’s really bad for you. EatCleanSweatDirty? Most of the time. Don’t tell me you don’t have time, because I’ll just tell you to sleep less.

I promise I don’t always dress like this. Say hello to Katelyn Brah.

2. Eat lots and lots of chocolate.

All the time. In your breakfast, on your salad, in your purse. I’m serious. The things that a square of chocolate can do are unmeasurable. Take my advice, and add more chocolate to your life. (But make it dark so it’s justified to have an extra piece) Don’t have any chocolate? Go to the store and get some. It’s cool, I’ll wait.

Did I say chocolate? I meant to say pizza.

3. Take some time to be weird.

Crank up the music and dance with your friends, or sweet nuggets, dance with your dog. Have you ever heard of those things called endorphins? They’re a thousand times better when you’re listening to Justin Bieber and singing along. Also take selfies. With your friends, your dog (do we see a pattern here?), before and after the gym, and when you put on makeup for the first time in a week. I do it all the time, and that must mean it’s normal.

I don’t see a problem here.

That’s all for now! Thanks for reading. I love ALL of you. Please stop by Chef Katelyn and stay awhile! Or a few days, if you have that kind of time. Peace, love, and #EatCleanSweatDirty. ;)

Give this college gal some life advice! Or comment on one of the above.

More importantly, can someone teach me how to do a proper five-strand French braid?

Alex @ therunwithin July 26, 2012 at 6:38 pm

What a fun post! I agree with all of these things. I love seeing this side of bloggers.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 27, 2012 at 12:14 pm

;) what I’m here for.

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List July 26, 2012 at 6:53 pm

off to eat some chocolate pizza….

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 26, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I HAVE A CONVERT

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles July 26, 2012 at 8:01 pm

This definitely cracked me up.

Chocolate in my purse? Already there. Chocolate on my salad? I’m on it.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 26, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I keep the chocolate in the freezer – keeps it from melting in the summer heat! ;)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance July 26, 2012 at 8:56 pm

What a great post. I love your wit and humor–keep it up! And I totally carry chocolate in my purse at all times. :)

Corrie Anne July 26, 2012 at 8:57 pm

ha!! love it. take some time to be weird. DONE!!!!!!!!

Marissa July 27, 2012 at 1:48 am

I’m really sorry, I dont want this comment to sound hateful and mean but I think it might end up being taken that way. I will try to explain myself as best as possible.

I think many women who read these blogs are looking for advice. When I first found ‘healthy living blogs,’ I was 18 and vulnerable. I started religiously reading all the different blogs, taking everything they said to be true.

I didn’t notice it back then, but I’ve slowly come to realize it now- and that is that many bloggers (especially the thinner ones) like it to look like they ‘eat so much food.’ Maybe this is so that they are not called anorexic, or maybe its because they exercise so much/ have such an active lifestyle they do in reality eat so much. However- in real life too, I know a lot of thin women who like to talk about ‘how much they have eaten’ or how ‘they eat sooooo much’… like some sort of validation.. or something.. i dont even know.

Anyway, back to my point, when I first started reading all of these blogs, I had just lost about 7 pounds and was trying to learn about maintenance and all about healthy eating. There was such a huge focus on desserts and indulgent food, I became pretty loose on my own diet, thinking- “well if they are eat eating so much sweet stuff, and still look that way, I should be able too!’

But the truth is.. unless you are working out, or eating said sweet stuff instead of regular food, the pounds will creep on… and so they did for me.

Gah, I’m really bad at explaining my thoughts- but I guess I’m saying it just annoys me that I come here and read advice to ‘eat more chocolate all the time.’ Because the truth is, if I did that, I would gain weight.

I KNOW Katelyn means no harm whatsoever, and that these tips are very light-hearted and supposed to be funny- and that if I probably read her blog on a regular basis I would see that she doesn’t really advocate to eat chocolate all the time.

I think this post just triggered a thought that I’ve been trying to get out for a while- I have no idea if I’m the only one who feels this way or if I’m even making any sense at all???

I kind of don’t want to post this, because by now I dont even know what I’m really trying to say… however I know I’ve felt ‘something’ regarding this for a while.. so I’ll click submit and who knows, maybe someone else will be able to explain my thoughts more clearly.

Thanks for listening.

Melissa July 27, 2012 at 4:35 am

I agree.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 27, 2012 at 11:41 am

Hey! I’m just going to be honest and say that I have a really sarcastic personality. And way of talking. And that was supposeddd to come out in these tips, but maybe it didn’t quite do so for you. Obviously, no one should be eating chocolate for every meal of the day, but the point was that it’s OKAY to indulge and you SHOULD indulge. Not that you should literally be putting chocolate on your salad. That’s gross, I think. But thank you for your comment, and I hope this response finds you well. Because the truth is… YOLO. Chocolate should be involved. In moderation.

andrea July 27, 2012 at 2:21 pm

What is yolo?

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl July 28, 2012 at 8:20 am

You Only Live Once

Janetha July 29, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Hey, Marissa! You make total, 100% sense. Back in 2008, I lost some weight and got to my “ideal” size/weight/whatever you want to call it. I started this blog and then started reading other blogs (not the other way around, which is kind of odd, I know) and I saw these girls loading their oatmeal up with 7 different toppings… calorie bomb oatmeal bowls clocking in well over 600 calories for SURE. At the time, I was eating my 300 calorie protein oatmeal every morning, but I wanted to be a part of the top-your-oatmeal-with-a-whole-bunch-of-tasty-trendy-things-club. So I bought in, and I gained a lot of weight. Okay, maybe not a lot a lot.. but enough to make me miserable in my own skin. The kicker was that I gained all this weight from eating foods that were healthy–but I was eating WAY TOO MUCH FOOD. At the end of the day, it’s calories in, calories out. That’s just the facts. And while my calories were not of the unhealthy variety, they still added up the same. Plus, while I do work out regularly, my workouts were nowhere near intense or long enough to require the number of calories I was eating.

I backed off, reassessed my eating habits, and was able to get back where I want to be. But I have to admit, I still have to keep myself in check or I get a little bigger than I want. At 5’1″, it’s really easy to let my clothes get too tight too quick. There’s only so much surface area for that extra fat to distribute itself! Know what I mean?

Anyway, I REALLY appreciate your comment. I nodded along the whole time reading it because I can relate 110%. I know Katelyn didn’t mean “gorge yourself on pizza and chocolate daily”–but several blogs out there definitely promote that sort of lifestyle and make it look do-able without turning into a whale. However, all of our bodies are different. Our metabolisms are very unique. One person could drink 10 beers and eat a whole pizza and not gain a pound while the next person would have to space that amount of calories over a week to keep their weight in check.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, and always know you can share them here with no judgment! You didn’t sound rude at all. Just honest–and real. I like that. Thanks again!

Katelyn July 29, 2012 at 3:55 pm

GREAT response, Janetha! I completely agree.

Marissa July 29, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Thanks so much for both of you replying! I understand Katelyn was coming from a sarcastic view, I think it just reminded me of all the blogs that DO make looking like a whale so easy…
And I’m so glad you understood me Janetha- and I didn’t come off as some angry troll. I also just want to thank you for keeping things real at meals and moves- I love your truthfulness!
Also Katelyn, I checked out your blog and actually really like! Sorry for any misunderstandings.

Janetha July 30, 2012 at 10:30 am

Tamara July 27, 2012 at 7:27 am

LOVE this! I love to dance. And to watch dancing. I’m addicted to SYTYCD, in fact!

I don’t eat chocolate (no caffeine for me, to ward off the evil migraines of doom), but I am totally down with the pizza!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 27, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I was addicted to that show back in the day! Watch it every summer.

Tamara July 27, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Me too! I even got my husband hooked. He’s as into the dancing as II am. And it doesn’t hurt that there’s a lot of good eye candy on that show for everyone to enjoy. :D

Kim@hungryhealthygirl.com July 27, 2012 at 10:33 am

Love all of the tips! I will definitely be checking out your blog, Katelyn!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 27, 2012 at 12:05 pm

See you over at CK headquarters!

Momma b July 28, 2012 at 10:32 am

Fun tips! I can tell you’ve got spunk and drive!
You’ve got a great attitude!! Thanks for sharing.
xo

Erin @ erinberries July 28, 2012 at 11:03 am

Haha! I’m 24 years old and I still can’t french braid my own hair. Good luck! :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 28, 2012 at 3:36 pm

ME. EITHER. Strugg city.

Lea @ Coffee and Greens July 29, 2012 at 10:49 am

Chocolate salad? I’m down. Chocolate counts as a vegetable right?

Janetha July 29, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I finally did my own French braid for the first time in 29 years! I am still pretty crappy at it, but hey.. it’s a start!

Thanks for sharing your fun-filled tips, mama. I love you and your energy. It’s explosive and contagious. XOXO

Katelyn July 29, 2012 at 3:58 pm

<3 love you.

Jessica Corbin August 1, 2012 at 11:01 am

You are o hilarious and adorbs! I love this post! I do think that chocolate is powerful, and I miss my Trader Joe’s!! Thanks for sharing, definitely going to check out your blog!