triple header.

by Janetha on July 1, 2012

in family time,fun with friends,love life

saturday was full of not one, not two, but three fantastic events.

it all started out bright and early when marshall and i headed to the second annual race for grief.

IMG 3807

this was a 10k that honors all those babies lost during pregnancy or infancy. i ran in honor of my nephew, eddy, whom i never had the chance to meet. my sister-in-law, lindsay, lost him at 8 months pregnant three years ago.  i was glad to be a part of yesterday’s race and to run with linds and everyone else.

IMG 3785

marshall came along to support us, too, which i know meant a lot to lindsay.

IMG 3828

you guys know i loathe running, so i wasn’t looking forward to this 10k a single bit. i ran alongside lindsay and amy (who both happen to be amazing runners!) and didn’t hold them back too much.  it was a beautiful day and it was still early enough to not be too scorching hot yet. the first four miles weren’t bad, but the last couple were pretty tough for me mentally. i just get so sick of running! major props to those of you who run double-digit-distances. that will never be me.

we crossed the finish line in 55 minutes. i definitely couldn’t have done this without the help of my two running buddies!

IMG 3817

everyone was at the finish line to greet us runners with a smile and a sign in eddy’s honor. we all wore blue for eddy, too.

IMG 3811IMG 3829

i adore my nephew and niece! this is greyson, eddy’s little bro.

IMG 3834

and izze, eddy’s big sis.

IMG 3836

i may not like running, but i do love my family and supporting a good cause!

IMG 3838

love you, linds!

IMG 3825

after the race, we headed home to clean up. there wasn’t much time before our next saturday event: the blogger potluck picnic in the park!

IMG 3860

several utah bloggers gathered at liberty park yesterday afternoon. we all wanted to meet “in real life” and it couldn’t have been a better day to do so.

in attendance (click on their names to see their awesome blogs!): me, marshall & the pups, laura, ali, tiffani & her pup, janae & her husband, ash, jessie & her husband, kerryne & her two kiddos, elizabeth & her pup, annette, kim & her husband & kiddos, candice & her husband & her twinners, katie & her husband & baby, emily, neil, coley, jo, and alicia & whiney from fitmixer and their boys. i hope i didn’t miss anyone–my memory sucks and i didn’t get a photo of the WHOLE group!

i was a bad blogger and didn’t get many photos of the amazing spread of food that was there-i was too busy chatting it up! but i assure you there was A LOT of good stuff!

IMG 3840

the simply bar was gracious enough to send a LOAD of protein bars for me to share with everyone. thanks SO much, guys!

IMG 3845

we had fun eating and chatting–i wish there had been more time! i don’t think i had nearly enough time to talk to everyone i wanted to talk to! that just means we will have to do it again soon, right?

IMG 3857
IMG 3849IMG 3856IMG 3868IMG 3861IMG 3863IMG 3867IMG 3866IMG 3869

i can’t believe there are SO many utah bloggers now. i absolutely love it. a little over three years ago when i started this blog, there were only three utah bloggers i knew. i really hope we can all make an effort to get together more often, this potluck was a lot of fun!

IMG 3870

thanks to everyone for coming!!

after the picnic, we rushed home to get ready for camping. we were meeting kristen, rory, and kristen’s fam up at altamont campground near timpanogos cave. there was a bit of a delay since i had to hit the store (and starbucks) and we had to buy a tent. we finally got to the camp site around 9 o’clock.

IMG 3876

rory helped marsh set up the new tent.

IMG 3877

the pups explored.. they love to camp!

IMG 3882

by the time we had our stuff together and were ready to go, it was pretty late and we were pretty hungry. we originally had planned to make tin foil dinners over the fire, but we didn’t want to wait for them to cook. instead, we picked dinner up on the way to the camp site. does a chipotle burrito count as a tin foil dinner?!

IMG 3883

haha.. not quite, but it was still delicious. no campout is complete without s’mores. kristen was fully stocked with the essentials to make them.. thanks, kris!

IMG 3902IMG 3900

i love campfires.

IMG 3908IMG 3917IMG 3892

we turned in a bit before midnight. it had been a long day and i was ready to get some Zs. we actually had a pretty rough night of sleep because we didn’t snag any sort of padding for the tent. we also were a little short on blanket supply and it was colder than expected. because of this, we ended up waking up around 6 AM to head home… where i crashed in my real bed for about six hours.

now it is 4 PM and i have done absolutely nothing with myself today. oh, wait.. i showered! and i gave the dogs a bath. that counts for something, right? ha. i plan to get to the grocery store sometime today so we have food for the week. dinner tonight is taken care of, though, since i have all the ingredients for tin foil dinners! i bought everything yesterday before camping, but since we were running late and didn’t use them, i am going to throw them into my le creuset dutch oven and call it dinner. should be good!

hope you all had a fabulous weekend. tell me the highlights of yours in the comments below!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 1, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I haven’t been camping since I was a kid! We used to have these little metal press things that we’d make grilled cheese or “pizzas” over the fire. And of course, you must have s’mores!

Highlight of my weekend was making it to Boston! I took a red eye with my best friend last night (we didn’t get any sleep) but were able to drop our bags off, get breakfast, walk around the city a bit, check-in to our hotel a bit early, get a nap, grab lunch and head back for a relaxing evening in. We have a big day planned for tomorrow! (you wanted a novel, right?) ;)

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries July 1, 2012 at 4:05 pm

great job on your 10k!!! i’m so sad i missed the blogger potluck… i would have LOVED to meet you and some of my other utah favorites. hopefully we can do this again, and i’ll get to be there! :)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List July 1, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Marshall even went to the blogger meetup?!!? He’s amazing – keep him.

Sana July 1, 2012 at 5:13 pm

So awesome of your family to get together to support baby Eddy. I am not a camping person those same reasons, too cold and not comfy!

Erica July 1, 2012 at 5:40 pm

What an amazing day!! Great job on the run! I almost lost kay at 8 weeks.. I cant imagine the pain. The blogger meet up looks so fun. Mmmm chipotle. I went to boston for 36 hours for my best friends bridal shower

Elizabeth @ reads recipes runs July 1, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Hahaha Aurora can’t sit still for a picture… We went to timps today! Just for a hike, it was so fun! We are for sure going to camp soon, Aurora had a blast :)

Cheri Z July 1, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Good job on the 10K Janetha! What a cool idea! We lost our first adoption referal when our baby, Eilish, died in the orphanage during a malaria outbreak. It was really hard. Sometimes people don’t understand grieving for a child you’ve never held … but you do.

We spent the weekend attending a dance performance, going to the farmers’ market, and exploring the hills above our house (complete with an appearance by two mule deer and a gray rabbit. All in all, a great day.

Lauren July 1, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Sounds like such a great weekend. Congrats on the 10K! I’m sure it helped knowing you were running for such a great cause. I always seem to enjoy races much more when there is a purpose like that behind it.
Enjoy the rest of our weekend love!

Errign July 1, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Sounds like an awesome weekend!

Here’s mine:
Friday night: Boooooat ride! Said boat ride included half a bottle of wine apiece for everyone, swimming, and lots of laughs – with late night nachos.
Saturday: 2 mile run, people watching, a nap, watermelon bowls (delicious cocktails served in half a watermelon), corn fritters, and a drive in movie.
Sunday: taking the pups (4 of them!) swimming with the man, more people watching, making black raspberry ice cream and gilmore girls.

ali July 1, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Congrats on the 10k Janetha! Love the reason behind this race and that you were able to race for Eddy! So awesome!

The Blogger Potluck was a BLAST! I loved it! So much fun meeting other Utah bloggers! You did a great job organizing it, and I can’t wait for the next one!

Hope to see you tomorrow!

Annette@FitnessPerks July 1, 2012 at 7:10 pm

THat was SUCH A FUN Blogger Potluck!!!! Thank YOU for putting it on. You’re even more amazing in person than you are on your blog (And that’s saying lots).

You rock.

And how cool are you to support family and run a 10K in honor of a baby?! True kindness and loyalty right there. Have a nice night!

Calee July 1, 2012 at 8:07 pm

3 things:

1) Marshall looks a little creepy behind that tree. ;)
2) GREAT job bustin’ it out! What a great cause. I love that there’s an organization and benefits for those who have lost children (love that you say “lost children” rather than miscarriage).
3) So wish I could have been at the blogger meetup! Would have been fun, but then again I’m not from Utah.

PS we are going camping next weekend! xoxo

Ashley July 1, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Had so much fun meeting you yesterday (and everyone else, too!). We definitely need to have another potluck! Thanks for organizing everything!

and congrats on the 10k. What a wonderful way to honor baby Eddy.

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva July 1, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Wow that’s an action packed day/night!!! Looks like to so much. I love camping too…can’t wait to go again this summer. But my fav part of camping is actually hiking around. I think I’ll have to put that on my summer bucket list for the end of the year. You should post your tin foil dinner recipe. I love foil dinner as there’s little cleanup

Sarah July 1, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Fun weekend! I really want a s’more now.

I am such a nerd–best part of my weekend was planning a bunch of little road trips we are going to take this week around Oregon–including one to Hood River (inspired by you!).

<3 you!

Janetha July 2, 2012 at 11:54 am

YES! I can’t believe you are so close and don’t go once a month. It’s so pretty! Also, I don’t think that is nerdy. I think it’s awesome! xoxo

Emily R July 2, 2012 at 7:19 am

The potluck was so fun! thanks for organizing it – it was awesome finally meeting you and so many other Utah bloggers! definitely should happen again soon.

Congrats on your 10K; what a cool way to honor your baby nephew.

the highlight of my weekend was a mixture of the potluck (yay!) and hiking up to Cecret Lake yesterday! Not a crazy long hike by any means, but it was gorgeous all the same. :)

Dayna July 2, 2012 at 8:27 am

Nice job on the 10K, Janetha! Did you run it in your Vibrams?

Janetha July 2, 2012 at 11:53 am

thanks! and yep! i don’t wear anything else when exercising.

Biz July 2, 2012 at 9:59 am

I am tired just reading about your day! Highlights? Sleeping in until 10:00 a.m. both Saturday and Sunday. Making the best hashbrowns I’ve ever made. Hanging out with my hubs in our gazebo, drinking wine and watching baseball. Lunch and movie out with my husband yesterday – go see Ted – it killed!

SweatyGirl July 2, 2012 at 11:06 am

I LOVE that photo of Penny looking over her shoulder at you :-) So sweet!

Tiff July 2, 2012 at 11:12 am

Thanks for putting together the blogger meet up. It was sooo nice to finally meet you!! I loved meeting all of the other Utah bloggers also. What a fun afternoon :) I love that picture of Abigail and I! I am definitely taking a copy :)

I have an awesome air mattress if you ever need to borrow it for camping.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 2, 2012 at 11:23 am

That looks like such an amazing potluck! And you got the elusive Raspberry flavored Simply Bar! How is it? I can’t wait to try it out.

Paige @ Running Around Normal July 2, 2012 at 11:41 am

Way to go, J! You know you’re fit when you can bust out a 55 min 10k without training for it :D

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes July 2, 2012 at 2:11 pm

That is an action-packed weekend. All good stuff! I think races like that are so awesome and that’s killer time!

Alicia July 2, 2012 at 4:45 pm

That is an awesome race event! I would love to do it next year!!

The blogger potluck was so much fun! Thank you for putting it together!! Another one is a must!!

Camping looked like a good time! Let’s go soon! And Sunday brunch and Park Silly ASAP.

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables July 2, 2012 at 6:15 pm

What a great weekend girl! Congrats on your 10K! Running may suck, but running for a cause sure makes it worth it!! :) I wish I lived in Utah so I could have come to the blogger meetup!

Joanna July 2, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Thanks for organizing the potluck! It was so much fun and so great to meet everyone.

janae@hungryrunnergirl July 2, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Busiest Saturday ever! Camp fires really are one of my favorite things ever. I seriously LOVED the meet-up and meeting you. You are gorgeous by the way. 55 minutes for your 10k…look at you killing it! You better believe when I am in town visiting we are hanging out.

purelymichelle July 2, 2012 at 8:52 pm

wow now that is a meet-up! looks like everyone had a great time, wish I lived in Utah :)
great job with the 10K! it is always nice to do something for family, I am the same way, family is everything!
xoxo

Neil July 2, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Not so sure about the other sayings, but I’ve got info on the gift horse saying, that you could maybe get behind.

Mom and pop are cattle ranchers. We used horses to chase cows. When you buy a new horse, you can tell its approximate age by looking at how long its teeth are. Longer teeth = older horse. Hence the saying, “she’s getting a little long in the tooth.

It is considered rude to look a gift horse in the mouth. It’s kinda like looking at the price of a gift. So you wouldn’t do it. Not until your benefactor goes home. :)

Loved making new friends Saturday. Thanks for organizing that.

Nicole C July 3, 2012 at 9:18 am

Sorry late comment but I loved the campfire! I spent the weekend on Lake Michigan and everynight we had a fire pit. Before arriving we went to Costco for what my friends family calls Armageddon, in that stack of 6 carts were s’more kits! Hershey packages them up, very handy!

melissa July 3, 2012 at 7:28 pm

looks like a wonderful weekend filled with good causes, friends, family, and food!