welcome to manzanillo.

by Janetha on February 7, 2012

in travel

hey guys!

i have had a hell of a time playing catchup, so between that and my blog being down for a few hours last night.. i didn’t manage to post. my blog was down because bodybuilding.com mentioned me on their facebook page.. so i really can’t complain.

it was pretty cool to be mentioned for my success with livefit trainer. it made me smile. it made me proud. it’s easy to be proud of other people, but sometimes tough to be really proud of yourself. being proud is a good feeling.

anyway, i better get to recapping my trip to mexico before i forget what happened! i have pondered how i want to recap the trip, because i really don’t want to do an account of EVERY single day.. that would be lame and boring for you and me both.but i do have various things i want to document.. starting with getting there and the resort we stayed at.

sunday, january 29th was travel day. after only 2 hours of sleep, marshall and i woke up at 4:30 AM and headed to the airport. thanks for the ride, momma b! we had a layover in LA where marshall bought a neck pillow and i bought a book: the girl with the dragon tattoo. i had loved the movie so much and wanted to read the book.

marshall lost this neck pillow before we boarded the flight. yeah, weird. it had been attached to his backpack and when he went to grab it, it was gone. woops!

we arrived the barcelo karmina palace all inclusive resort in manzanillo, colima, mexico . marshall and i were with 20 other people—my bosses and some co-workers, along with all of their spouses. my company takes us on an annual vacation. it’s nice.

haggard from the journey!

i don’t love all inclusive resorts, but i have to say that my boss picked a really nice one. we stayed in a junior suite and it was pretty fabulous.

IMG_9929 IMG_9932
IMG_9935 IMG_9941
IMG_9943 IMG_9953

the view wasn’t half bad, either.

oh.. wait.. woops. here’s the view from the balcony:

it was already nearly 5 PM, so we just wandered around the resort for a bit to get our bearings.

IMG_9972IMG_9969IMG_9981

i quickly found the ice cream machine.

and the bar.. but that wasn’t as exciting as the ice cream machine.

there were random animal statues scattered all over the place. all the elephants reminded me of susan and my other elephant-obsessed friend amber!

we had dinner at the buffet—it was a mishmash of random items, none of which were that great or worth talking about. you’ll quickly learn that not much of the resort food was worth talking about. such is life! since we had been up all day long, we called it an early night and crashed by ten o’clock.

i think that’s a good amount of mexico recapping for today. more next time.

and because not everyone cares about that.. i will show you my dinner.

i recently pinned this recipe for crock pot beef & broccoli. i threw it together this morning before work and hoped for the best…

NewImage

horrible photography aside (still don’t want to talk about my broken camera–took this with my iPhone)–this was just OK. i followed the recipe to a T, but it turned out a tad bland. the cooking time specified in the instructions was way too long. this made the beef turn out a little tough and dry. i checked the comments of the recipe post and realized that others had said the same things about the blandness and cooking time. should have read that prior to cooking it in my crock pot all day, aye? it was definitely nothing like the beef & broccoli entrees i have ever had before. i may try to make it again with a few janetha tweaks and a shorter cooking time. just a heads up in case you are looking to make it.

whelp, that’s all for tonight! check ya later.

Greta @ Staying Lost February 7, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I was really excited by the looks of that broccoli and beef recipe when you posted it on twitter. Thanks for letting us know that it wasn’t that good! Now I won’t be tempted to make it. :)

Kris February 7, 2012 at 10:47 pm

this makes me want to be back in Mexico…

lindsay February 8, 2012 at 12:05 am

hell ya! i’d be proud and i’d be loud. way to go on that livefit. You are amazing and now i want froyo… from mexico please.

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva February 8, 2012 at 12:22 am

Love the holiday recaps hun! Will we be seeing more elephants in the posts to come??? That’s so nice that ur boss takes you away on an annual vacation…job sounds like a keeper. Congrats for the mention on bodybuilding.com!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 8, 2012 at 12:29 am

I love the resort shots. Makes me feel like I just went on a trip for about 4 minutes while I read this. Thank you :)

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig February 8, 2012 at 1:44 am

Your resort looks awesome! It’s so nice of your boss to do that, you’re very lucky. I’ve never been to an all-inclusive resort, but does that mean you get unlimited ice cream!? I think I would die…

Erica February 8, 2012 at 2:43 am

Congrats on the feature!! You should totally be proud!! I like the idea of free ice cream :). My favorite part of all inclusives is the all you can eat fruit!

melissanibbles February 8, 2012 at 3:13 am

Congrats on the feature! Very cool.

The resort looks beautiful and both you and Marshall look happy and relaxed. Welcome home :)

Karen February 8, 2012 at 3:42 am

Your room at the resort looks pretty nice!! I’m sure it was nice to have a little more room to spread out!

denise February 8, 2012 at 4:22 am

Looks like you had a blast. and congrats on the facebook mention.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices February 8, 2012 at 4:30 am

i feel like all inclusives never have food that is anything worth raving about. at least your view(s) were great! :)

Lauren February 8, 2012 at 4:55 am

Congrats girl! I would be so proud too! :)

Gillian February 8, 2012 at 5:03 am

You look amazing Janetha! And oh man I know that feeling when travelling – I love a giant salad when I get home!!

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 8, 2012 at 6:00 am

Looks like a nice resort! I’ve never been to Mexico before. I’m hoping to go to an all inclusive resort someplace tropical for our honeymoon. :)

Sorry, the recipe didn’t turn out good. I hate when that happens.

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 8, 2012 at 6:02 am

congratulations on the feature! you definitely deserve it :) and i want to go to mexico with y’all next year…think your boss would go for it? :)

Janetha February 9, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Definitely ;)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 8, 2012 at 6:23 am

You should be proud of yourself!! Congats on the feature!

Hayley February 8, 2012 at 7:34 am

Excited for more Mexico recaps! Congratulations are in order for making it on the bodybuilding facebook page! You put all the hard work in and definitely deserve it!

I have a question regarding weight loss & building muscle. Getting in shape is a continuous goal of mine, but with my upcoming wedding this June, I’m starting to get a little anxious. I currently work out at home during the week with Jillian and Jackie dvds and run on the weekends. I only have access to a set of 10 pound, 5 pound and 3 pound dumbbells.

Do you have any suggestions for getting toned and sculpted at home without really heavy weights? Thank you!

Life's a Bowl February 8, 2012 at 8:11 am

Your trip looks and sounds beautiful! You are so lucky to have the opportunity to get away for a week and don’t have to worry about calling into work ;)

Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt February 8, 2012 at 8:18 am

What a great shout out on FB!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 8, 2012 at 8:41 am

Yay- I can’t wait to hear about the rest of the trip! The all-inclusive I stayed at had the same ice cream machine. The cones were tiny, but I probably had 200 of them.
I was always jealous of people with those neck pillows so I bought one. It just because a huge pain in the butt to carry around though (and didn’t have a little snap in the middle like it looks like Marshall’s did). Sucks that he lost it!
Congrats on the FB link to your blog! Your results definitely should be shared with the masses- so inspirational!!

Michelle (Better with Berries) February 8, 2012 at 9:04 am

Your vacation looks like it was amazing! I have also learned the hard way to always read through the comments on a recipe – they can be lifesavers!

Stella February 8, 2012 at 10:07 am

I use this recipe for broccoli beef, subbing broccoli for snow peas obviously. It always comes out fabulously, and really doesn’t take very long.

Give it a try!

Janetha February 8, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Awesome, thanks for the link!

Kim @ The Family Practice February 8, 2012 at 10:36 am

Your vacation looks lovely! I would love to go somewhere warm right about now :)

meggi February 8, 2012 at 10:49 am

wow! Such a nice room!! Can’t wait to hear more! I tend to love all-inclusive resorts though because it makes drinking so cheap ;)

Susan February 8, 2012 at 10:52 am

Love you Janetha, but I love you even more when you’re posing on top of an elephant statue. I need that for my room!

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 8, 2012 at 11:03 am

Congrats on being featured on bodybuilding FB page!!

I want to go to Mexico now…thanks a lot ;)

RunEatRepeat February 8, 2012 at 11:10 am

Every year I ask, but maybe one day you’ll take me up on it… Can I come work for your company?

Brittney February 8, 2012 at 11:12 am

That’s so exciting! Congrats on the shout out from bodybuilding.com. I’d be pretty darn proud too!

Heather Blackmon @ Better With Veggies February 8, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I have a love-hate relationships with all-inclusive resorts. They can be good or you can be stuck eating the same boring thing for a week. I love the concept, but they really should get some better chefs or menu-creators sometimes. :)

Janetha February 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Exactly! We were saying we needed to find an all inclusive resort specifically for foodies.

Heather Blackmon @ Better With Veggies February 8, 2012 at 12:49 pm

If you find one of those – I’m in!!

Becky February 8, 2012 at 12:57 pm

We are looking for a all inclusive resort for our one year but they are all so expensive. What is the cheapest all inclusive resort you have staid at? This one looks pretty nice…and all you can eat ice cream? Come on!!!

Janetha February 8, 2012 at 1:17 pm

It’s hard to say because we buy for 22 people and the price includes the resort and airfare from Utah.. so I don’t know the breakdown. I am sorry! I have stayed at Iberostar, RIU and now Barcelo and they are all very comparable in quality.. the resorts were nice, the food was not that nice. But Iberostar has the best ice cream!

Tiffany @ Snack Snark Bark February 8, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Girlfriend, I know you’re sad about your camera but these are pretty flippin sweet shots of Marshall…..oops I meant the resort lol. Hey I think he’s a hottie, can’t blame me right?? :)

Congrats on the Bodybuilding shout out, thats fabulous!

Janetha February 9, 2012 at 10:45 am

Sigh. Those photos are from pre-camera-breakage :(

Mama Pea February 8, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Ice cream machine?! That resort was made for you.

Glad you had fun and made it home safely!!!

kate February 8, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Ah, so jealous, looks so nice. I’m also not a huge fan of the all-inclusive deal, but can’t complain being in Mexico!

Congrats on the big shout out, you deserve it.

Gilly February 8, 2012 at 6:28 pm

About your latest muffin post (they look awesome): Did you eat one at breakfast? Did you pair it with anything?

I’ve been reading on your GI issues. I’ve experienced a LOT of the same. I recently consulted a RD and think I’m *realizing* something. I’m too high protein + too high fat + too high fiber.

I believe so much in the whole paleo or high protein stuff; but I’m starting to realize that food is supposed to be wholesome nutrition to nourish the body. I’m constipated and dehydrated and experiencing upper GI discomfort all the time.

My aim? “Normal” breakfasts (cereal, milk, seeds, fruit), snacks of just bread and butter, mashed white potatoes with meatloaf, white rice, rice krispies…I know a lot of people would think I’m nuts, but I really need to help ease all my pain. Later, down the road, I’ll worry about choosing whole grain or whatever.

I still will eat lots of fats (especially oils and butter) and still will eat alot of protein (but protein powders are not something necessary every day, REAL protein sources FTW always), but I’m upping the carbs, etc. I know most people would disagree with some of this …but I think there’s something to be said for the good old food guide (kind of like back when we were kids? When a white pb sandwich at 3 pm was legit and the norm).
I’ll focus on trying to be slightly “healthier” in the future, but right now, my poor body is revolting everything.

Janetha February 8, 2012 at 6:58 pm

The muffins are great alone–I would eat two as a meal–or pair one with some yogurt or scrambled eggs or something.

Have you read SayWhatYouNeedToSayBlog.com? My friend, Lauren, had some serious GI issues and she reverted to eating a ton of white flours/products like cereal, Wonder bread, bagels, etc and had to cut back on fiber.

You may want to look her up, I am sure you have a lot in common with your issues!

As far as mine go, they have been happening for 6+ years, even back when I was living on a diet of fast food, cereal, white bread, and beer. Nothing changed with my GI when I changed my diet, it’s my colon that has issues.. it’s lazy :(

Thanks for sharing your story! I always love hearing what others are going through with gut issues. Hang in there! xo

meg February 8, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I’ve been disappointed with a few pinterest recipes lately too… Oh well at least now we know!

Deb February 9, 2012 at 1:00 am

Pretty resort! Love the bougainvillea out your balcony & that adorb photo if u looking 16 & tiny on the elephant.

I didn’t know u could over oil meat in a slow cooker!! Learned something new!!

Love M’s hair.

Deb February 9, 2012 at 1:01 am

Why did it autocorrect over cook to over oil?

Marie February 22, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Congrats on the mention; you SHOULD be proud! You have a rockin’ body!