gobble, boggle.

by Janetha on November 25, 2011

in dogs,family time,fun with friends

hello!

i have been absolutely, positively worthless for 92% of the day today. fabulous.

let’s rewind to yesterday where i left off during the packers game..

yes.. this is a typical randy position.

i got a couple good ones of the bean…

IMG_7424IMG_7423

freaking love her.

anyway, they won! it’s crazy that the packers have won 17 games in a row. i love it.. marshall hasn’t been grumpy once for almost a year! well.. over football, at least.

after the game we headed to marshall’s step mom’s parents for a thanksgiving meal.

it was a little bit different eating a traditional thanksgiving meal away from my family—but it was every bit as tasty. i was glad there were black olives and sweet pickles—two things my family always has at the table! the rolls were piping hot, soft and buttery. the turkey was moist. but my favorite part was for sure the stuffing. that’s what i dream about all year long!

there was a huge spread of dessert. i contributed a couple things to the spread.

pumpkin pie brownies and pecan pie brownies.. i got both recipes from jessica’s blog. the woman is a genius.

IMG_7432IMG_7433

i followed her recipes almost exactly. i left out the bourbon from the pecan brownies because i didn’t have any and i used special dark cocoa powder instead of regular—this made the brownies extra chocolaty.

we hung out and chatted for awhile.. i met this sweetie, sabrina.

doesn’t marshall look just like his dad??

there was a pumpkin turkey with thankful feathers that marshall and i contributed to.

on our thankful feather? coffee and breakfast, of course! along with lots of other things.

i thought this was such a cute idea!

thanks to michael and sandy for inviting us to a lovely dinner!

after heading back home, i immediately went up to my parents’ place to hang out with my mom. she had a pretty intimate thanksgiving dinner with just my dad and my grandma. she made sure i knew that it was the FIRST thanksgiving since getting married that she didn’t have any of her kids with her. her first thanksgiving after getting married she was pregnant with my oldest sister—so she technically really always did have one of us around (or in her belly.)

i felt bad to leave her hanging (my siblings were all out of state) and i knew she needed a little evening entertainment. clearly, i am all the entertainment anyone ever needs!

do you wonder where i get it?

actually, we took these olive fingers photos to send to my sister in california.. who had sent this photo of my niece, sofi, earlier in the day:

yes.. we are all very much related.

after stuffing my face with a few bowls of stuffing (my mom’s stuffing is my FAVORITE thing about thanksgiving) and a few slivers of pumpkin pie with fresh vanilla bean whipped cream, we sat down to a very serious game of boggle.

playing boggle with my mom is probably one of the greatest things ever. my sister, marisa, was in california and wishing she could be there playing with us. so, we did what any normal people would do.. we got marisa on speaker phone. we took a photo of the boggle board and sent it to her. she brought the photo of the board up on her iTouch, then we would tell her to “go” and started the timer. when the three minutes were up, we shouted at her to stop, and then went on to the scoring procedure with her on speaker phone.

yes.. we really did that.

yes.. it worked wonderfully.

i love technology! and boggle.

while i was doodling between rounds, i realized that “boggle” is ridiculously similar to “gobble”.  just switch the B and G and there you have it! so, in honor of thanksgiving, i drew a boggle turkey.

i never claimed to be normal.

after killing her at boggle, i finagled some leftovers from my mom and headed home.. where i proceeded to eat more whipped cream from the can. this is something i was doing all day long yesterday… okay, and today.

again.. i never claimed to be normal.

further proof? normal people go to bed on thanksgiving evening. instead, kristen talked me into heading out to the mall at midnight. no, not to shop. just to wear crazy adventure pants and people watch and be weird.

mission accomplished.

i didn’t get home until 4 AM, which means i was worthless all day today. well, only 92% of the day, as i mentioned at the beginning of this post. the other 8% was spent on a lower body workout and getting a pedicure with my mom. perfect.

we are heading out to catch a flick with kristen and rory! we are going to see the rum diary.

hope you have a great night and a fantastic saturday!

janae@hungryrunnergirl.com November 25, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Marshall and his dad really do look a lot alike. 17 games in a row…WAHOO! Too bad all of Billy’s teams always lose and then he is grumpy for a little while until he forgets about it;) It makes me so happy to see how close you and your mom are!

momma b. November 25, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Great day of giving thanks! The desserts you shared with us…..heaven!
I did win ONE round of the 7 or 9 we played….come on give me credit :)

Today was a great day …..love you!

xo

Missy November 25, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Ha! I am loving the green M&M in the background!
Looks like y’all had a great Thanksgiving – and those desserts are the bomb! You need to come to my Dad’s house and have turkey and “dressing” (yes, we “dress” the turkey in the south at my house, we don’t stuff it ;) )His cornbread dressing is SO good, nothing quite like it!
I have never played boggle, but it looks fun – heck, anything ya’ll do looks fun. And I totally would do olive fingers (I already do Bugle fingers and watermelon teeth, yeah I am not normal either!)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn November 26, 2011 at 1:55 am

Ahhahah! My cousin used to do that with her olives! Now she only eats green ones, she’s become “more refined” I suppose. But seriously randy is hilar and that made me pee andddddd now I have to go make those brownies but I am most likely going to be adding a layer of crushed oreos and/or cream cheese. Ugh. Dying.

Lauren November 26, 2011 at 4:04 am

Sounds like a lovely and relaxing Thanksgiving. I LOVE Boggle but haven’t played in years.

Hope you enjoy your weekend sweetheart.

cathy@1970kikiproject November 26, 2011 at 4:21 am

go, packers! i did not realize they are on such a winning streak!
i love stuffing, too! and my mom makes the best (ok, along with your mom). thanksgiving boggle – too much fun. we’re going to do birthday yahtzee for my dad, today!
i feel for you being away from YOUR family for thanksgiving – one xmas eve i was with my inlaws and it just was not the same…and i never did it again, haha! but i am sure marshall’s family appreciated having you there.
happy you can work out again!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 26, 2011 at 5:26 am

I am an EXPERT Boggle player :) I grew up playing tons and tons of Boggle. I love it!

And those two brownie versions you made…holy moly. Between Jessica’s and Angela’s pumpkin pie brownies I seriously need to get busy in the kitchen…those two recipes have been on my to-make list for awhile!

Erica November 26, 2011 at 6:03 am

Sounds like a pretty fantastic day! Stuffing is good-the crunchy bits are the absolute best! Glad you still got to spend time with your momma! My family always does the little pickles and olives too

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 26, 2011 at 6:15 am

The do look alike! Hahah I love the thankful feathers idea :)

Evan Thomas November 26, 2011 at 7:10 am

My mom taught me to do that with black olives, too. Good parenting.

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio November 26, 2011 at 7:22 am

What a fun day!

Meg November 26, 2011 at 7:46 am

So glad you decided on BOTH dessert recipes ;)

Love it!

'Dee November 26, 2011 at 8:39 am

I love any post with puppy pictures in it, but put a puppy on a Packer fan and it’s a winner! LOL.

My husband grew up in Milwaukee and is a HUGE Green Bay fan. HUGE. So he was pretty darned happy this week.

Tiffany @ Snack Snark Bark November 26, 2011 at 8:53 am

I love their house, it just looks like it has a homey feel to it! And Sabrina is absolutely adorable (don’t get me started on the cute factor of the Penny pic of her sticking out her tongue–LOVE IT!)

We did the shopping thing on Thanksgiving night and I felt like yesterday was a complete waste. We left around 10p and got back at 4a then I woke up at 11 the next morning and pretty much did nothing all day except go for a hike. I guess thats something though, hopefully today will be more productive!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List November 26, 2011 at 9:23 am

Too many awesome things to comment on…I’ll just pick the obvious best – Kristen’s pants. And I’m assuming she’s doing the “Dougie”??

Marisa November 26, 2011 at 9:37 am

Clearly I had the disadvantage at Gobble Boggle! It was fun to play and I missed having you both with me like last year! Which dessert was the one mom raved about?

Katie November 26, 2011 at 10:19 am

Olive fingers! That is a tradition on our family, too. ;-)

And I’m so impressed you went to the mall at midnight. I could never, ever in my wildest dreams stay up that late to just watch people shop.

Heather (Heather's Dish) November 26, 2011 at 10:55 am

oh my gosh i LOVE the olive fingers! we used to do that ALL the time…i kind of want to go get a jar of them today :)

Lara November 26, 2011 at 12:00 pm

OMG. I’m totally in love with Sabrina <3
Love olive fingers, too!
Gobble gobble!

mcintosh November 26, 2011 at 2:38 pm

You’ve got a GREAT family….love the wackiness (:

Also love Boggle though my family was more the Scrabble/Trivial Pursuit type (confession: I used to study and memorize all the cards in an attempt to “try” to beat my way-too-smart family…technically, I’m the dumb one). Ever play Bananagrams? One of my new favorite discoveries…oh, and Apples to Apples (I love words too…boggle, gobble…love it)

Susan November 26, 2011 at 2:46 pm

This post made me smile! Between doggie pics, mom hangouts, stuffing, and random midnight adventures at the mall. Sounds like perfection. Me, my mom, and sisters Skype almost every day. We’ll often try to get the pets in on it and it’s usually hilarious chaos. It really brings out the (lovable) crazy in a family :)

I really want to see The Rum Diary, you’ll have to let me know if it’s worth going to!

Love ya JG!! xoxoxo

Pure2raw twins November 26, 2011 at 4:10 pm

haha would have loved to see some of the people you saw at the mall

glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!! loved all the pics

Ashley November 26, 2011 at 4:12 pm

You are soso pretty!!! We call our big dog “beans” as well. :) The desserts look out of control. Want! Now! Glad you got to spend time with both families!

Lisa at Dishes of Mrs. Fish November 26, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I love that thankful turkey pumpkin, what a cute idea. :)
What a fun day and fun family you have! :)

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 26, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I totally love that you all played Boggle over the phone!!! That is seriously awesome–and something my fam would do too. Hah.

I got some great deals on clothes and gifts today–so I am grateful for that!

Ellie@fitforthesoul November 26, 2011 at 11:00 pm

awwww I smiled so big and felt all fuzzy inside at the sight of you and your mom having so much fun~hehe she’s so cute! The other day my mom was all funny too. She suddenly said, “take a picture of me!” as she proceeded to pretend to eat veggies on a stick :P
4 a.m.?! Omgness I woulda passed out 0_0″

meg November 27, 2011 at 12:12 am

Oh, stuffing is my very favorite part of thanksgiving dinner too! Those olive pictures are hilarious!

Paige @ Running Around Normcal November 27, 2011 at 7:31 am

Marshall looks just like his dad! You’re right!
That’s great you still got to spend some time with Mama B and a little of your side of the fam. Looks like a good one, Janetha :)

Paula @ lipstick and lunges November 27, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Looks like an awesome Thanksgiving!! Those brownies are totally making me drool. Chocolate and pumpkin are 2 of my favorite things so I’ll have to try that recipe! -Paula

Naomi(onefitfoodie) November 27, 2011 at 8:08 pm

happy thanksgiving love!! the pics are amazing, I love your pups! :) Marshall does look like his dad wow!! good genes :)

xoxo

Christin@purplebirdblog November 28, 2011 at 4:35 pm

“crazy adventure pants” Okay, I love this and I officially dub my new, made by ME, OWL print pajama pants as my own crazy adventure pants. Oh yes.