sunny saturday.

by Janetha on November 6, 2011

in eating out,family time,travel

well, my first day in san diego may have been rainy and gloomy, but yesterday was the exact opposite!

sun shining, blue skies and just a slight breeze since we were close to the ocean.

IMG_6619IMG_6620

we all went to la jolla yesterday afternoon for brunch and to check out the cove.  food always comes first, so after parking our cars we walked to the cottage—just a short half mile walk from la jolla cove.

IMG_6624IMG_6623

when we arrived, they informed us there was a 45 minute wait and there were nine of us—including three hungry kiddos. my parents, sister, brother in law and nieces opted to head to the no-wait panera nearby, but marshall and i stuck out the wait since breakfast food is our favorite.

there was complimentary coffee and cinnamon crumb cake while we waited, which made the time pass pretty quickly.

IMG_6628IMG_6630IMG_6635

we were seated outside in a corner booth—perfect.

we had read the menu while waiting, so we knew what we wanted immediately and our food actually came out SUPER quick. great service!

i ordered the eggs la jolla which was a fun spin on the classic benedict.

a toasted english muffin topped with canadian bacon, sautéed mushrooms, spinach, roasted tomatoes, a touch of garlic and balsamic vinegar. i get my hollandaise on the side for dipping because i hate it when the muffin gets soggy.

delicious.

marshall went with the monterey scramble which was eggs scrambled with green chiles, bacon, scallions, and jack cheese served with salsa, black beans and corn tortillas.

both of our meals came with a side of signature cottage potatoes which were some of the best breakfast potatoes i have ever tried.

after our delicious meal, we walked back to the cove.

we met up with my family to check out the tide pools, seals, birds and, of course, swimmers.

IMG_6705IMG_6652IMG_6692IMG_6672

i was going to hop in but i left my speedo back in utah. darn.

i have been to la jolla once before, but this was marshall’s first time. it was fun checking out all the sea creatures and just enjoying the salty ocean air.

IMG_6684IMG_6691

utah!

IMG_6707IMG_6712IMG_6713IMG_6740

karate kid!

IMG_6742IMG_6754IMG_6749IMG_6744

we headed home to get ready for the baptism, which was at five o’clock.  lucy told me she was so excited and just a little nervous.

IMG_6757IMG_6765

the baptism service was great (okay, and a little long.. there were 12 kids getting baptized! that’s a lot.) lucy had her confirmation after the baptism and then we headed to a nearby clubhouse for dinner.

my sister had a local mexican restaurant cater a delicious mexican feast.

IMG_6771IMG_6773IMG_6777

the chips and guac were my favorite part.

dessert was the tres leches cake that my sister made on friday night. she used the pioneer woman’s recipe and it turned out fantastic! it was spot on.

after the celebration, we headed to the hotel my parents were staying at and the kiddos went swimming. it was super cold outside, so when they were done they came into the lounge and huddled by the fire.

after a couple hours of chatting and hanging out, we went back to my sister’s, set our clocks back and called it a night.

right after i publish this post we are on way to the packers game! GO PACK GO!

have a great sunday!

Courtney November 6, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Whoa, I’m the first to comment! Kinda rad. Just sayin’. Anywho! I’m super jealous you’re in SD! I was born and raised most of my kiddie years in Coronado! Miss seein’ some ocean. :) Ain’t no thang but tumbleweeds out hurr in Texas.

fittingbackin November 6, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I can’t believe you didn’t bring your speedo! LOL Great pictures – love the poses on the rocks and the breakfasts look amazing!

Jessiker November 6, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Cake looks divine ! xoxo

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats November 6, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Loving all of the ocean pictures! :) So pretty!

Emily November 6, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Everything looks delicious! Beautiful ocean pictures, living vicariously through you right now:)

Tee @ She Writes, Bites, and Window Shops November 6, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I love San Diego too. We try to make it down there as often as possible (we’re in L.A.). Those eggs La Jolla look so delicious!

Amanda November 6, 2011 at 3:41 pm

We need to go to La Jolla and eat breakfast there! It’s kind of a drive from Andy’s parent’s house in RB but it looks so good and we’re kind of obsessed with breakfast places. Thanks for sharing!

Glad you got some beautiful weather too! Next time you’re in SD let’s hang out!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 6, 2011 at 4:04 pm

the pics are gorgeous and glad you enjoyed la jolla. i was thinking of you all day, thinking well at least janetha has good weather today :)

I have been to the cottage but not since skylar was 3 mos old! I remember the day well…it was almost 5 yrs ago….where did time go!

glad you guys had a great time and also good to know about the PW’s cake recipe turning out to be a hit!

Lisa @ Fit in the Midwest November 6, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Love La Jolla! That breakfast looked like it was worth the wait.

GO PACKERS! Have fun at the game!

Michelle November 6, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Love San Diego! That breakfast looks awesome. I’ll have to check it out at Christmas when I’m there next.

Krissie J November 6, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I love all of these pics! Breakfast potatoes are probably my favorite part about eating out for the meal. Have fun at the game! :)

Yolie @ Practising Wellness November 6, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Looks so much fun! Family time is precious – glad you’ve enjoyed some this weekend! <3 xyx

mcintosh November 6, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Oh I love La Jolla…I “had” to spend a month there for work one summer. What a bummer…..har, har, har…it was awesome though kind of like “The Truman Show” because each day the weather, the people coming out of their perfect houses to perfectly manicured lawns with gorgeous flowers and the amazing ocean was the same for the ENTIRE month. No complaints from me though (:

Glad you had good weather and hope it holds out for the game and that the Packs wine (:

Erica November 6, 2011 at 6:42 pm

SO pretty! All of the food looks awesome. Love the balsamic on your breakfast (neat touch). More parties should be catered with Mexican deliciousness

Sarah November 6, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Hi Janetha, Great food and that cake looks so amazing. Like a piece of wedding cake. I would have demolished it all!

I wanted to ask a question and hope its not too nosy. Just wanted to know that with regards to your gut, have you started taking any meds? And would you mind sharing their names/purpose? I’m see my doctor again on tuesday because my situation is getting out of control.
Also, did you ever experience…um bleeding? a tiny bit?

I haven’t had a colonoscopy but am almost too afraid for it…I hear the prep can make you sick + I’m underweight and terrified the procedure will make me tear or damage me. Sorry this is all so gross, you don’t have to answer!

janetha November 11, 2011 at 11:26 am

Hey Sarah! Never too nosy. I am taking a probiotic and I also did a 10 day run of antibiotics. I am not sure what they were called because I threw away the bottles.. but the probiotic is shown in my “old school” post from yesterday.

Haven’t experienced bleeding but I know that is a big warning sign.. please get a colonoscopy. The prep sucks, but it’s best in the long run.. colon cancer is so dangerous! I don’t think the prep can make you underweight.. I fasted for two days prior, but I could have things like broth, sprite and apple juice. It’s not like you don’t get any calories for two days. Also, most preps are only one day.. I was just a “special” case because I never poop and they wanted to really clear me out. I hope you get a colonoscopy–don’t be scared, just remember you are doing it for your health!

Lauren November 6, 2011 at 9:28 pm

San Diego is beautiful! So glad you are having good weather and also a wonderful time. :) That HUGE pan of guac just made me smile.

Have a wonderful time with your family and a safe trip home.

Christine November 6, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Too funny–the presence of a pool pretty much guarantees kids will HAVE to use it. I remember that being my favourite part of staying in a hotel (or having family staying in one!) That guac looks so yummy!

Pure2raw twins November 6, 2011 at 10:52 pm

love SD! glad it cleared up for you…looked like a perfect weekend with family!!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) November 7, 2011 at 12:06 am

I’m with you on disliking soggy muffins. Glad the day turned out nice for you- the family looks great. Cute kiddos too. Hugs to Momma B!

Kristin @ STUFT Mama November 6, 2011 at 11:44 pm

Hope yo uhad fun at the game today and stayed dry! :) At least Saturday was sunny for you! :) And the Packers won! What Mexican food place is all that delicious food from?

janetha November 11, 2011 at 11:21 am

I have no clue! I will have to ask my sis.

Nicole C November 7, 2011 at 8:32 am

For as much as I have been to San Diego, I have get tired of seeing the pictures. I love La Jolla, we went kayaking last time we were there and it was pretty fun! The Cottage is so charming, I took my Mom there for a surprise birthday breakfast a few years ago. Hmm, I am thinking I need to go frolicking with my Momma now :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning November 7, 2011 at 8:33 am

I love your photos- it looks like you had a great day! I’ve never been south of San Fran and would LOVE to go visit SD someday! La Jolla just looks beautiful.
Oh- and I have to say that your breakfast looks so awesome. I am much more of a ‘sweets’ breakfast person, but I would gladly trade in my oatmeal for what you had on your plate!

Sami November 7, 2011 at 10:34 am

omg…what a cutie lucy is!!!
sounds like a fun, sunny saturday ;)

xo.

Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters November 8, 2011 at 11:01 pm

when nicole (blogger other half) went to USD, my friend kerry and I ate at that same exact restaurant. problem: my mom + sis were ready to leave (ASAP) and got sooooo mad at kerry + me for sitting down at a slower bfast place… we told the waiter to make it fast and were in and out of that joint in about 20 minutes PHEWWWW awww the memories

Steph November 9, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Ahh, I dream about The Cottage. I ate there a few years ago and it was the best brunch I’ve ever had. Amazing.