go pack go.

by Janetha on November 6, 2011

in love life,travel

our third and final day here in san diego was definitely the icing on the cake.

marshall & i woke up bright and early to snag some coffee & a breakfast sandwich from a nearby bagel shop.  after breakfast, we headed to the hotel where my parents were staying so they could say their goodbyes to my nieces before they headed to the airport.

our next stop was the airport where we dropped my parents off. marshall & i ran in to talk to a TSA agent. why, you ask? well, because marshall’s wallet is floating in the pacific ocean somewhere. or at least that is what we suspect.. it went missing yesterday somewhere between trader joes and the tide pools. he has zero form of identification to get through airport security.

the TSA agent told him he should be able to get through without ID, but he will have to go through additional security screening and we should arrive extra early. since our flight leaves at 6:15 AM, we are planning to be at the airport at four-something.. i may as well not even go to sleep. if i do, i might not wake up!

our next stop was the trolley station where my sister dropped us off so we could take the trolley to the football stadium. of course marshall was excited, that’s a given, but even i was getting really excited for the game and i don’t even like football!

we got to the stadium and found our seats. IMG_6811IMG_6814IMG_6815

it was cold and rainy, but we grabbed some hot chocolates to keep warm and put our hoods up to keep dry. a little rain never hurt anyone.

we were pretty high up in the stadium seating, but my sister lent me her telephoto lens so we could get a better view of the players’ butts.

ohhh yeah.. football butts!

the game started with a not so beautiful rendition of the national anthem… but who am i to judge? i can’t carry a tune if my life depended on it. then again, you don’t see me belting it out in front of 68 thousand people…

the flag display was rad, though.

kickoff was promptly at 1:15. the first quarter was action packed! the chargers scored first, but the packers dominated with three touchdowns before the quarter was over. right after the second touchdown, marshall shook me like a rag doll. it was pretty hilarious, actually. seeing him soooo happy made ME soooo happy.

there were SO many packers fans at the game.  the abundance of cheeseheads was phenomenal. too bad marshall left his at home! we were surrounded by packers fans which made for a fun experience.

the next quarter was pretty even—the packers scored 7 and the chargers 10.. which left us ahead at the half.

we headed to the bathrooms and to grab something to eat. i was already wet and cold, but standing in puddles while waiting in line for food sealed the deal on my drenched feet. i definitely didn’t pack for rain!

we headed back to our seats for the second half and to eat our pizza.

i was still super cold, so marshall snagged me another hot chocolate. it warmed me up a bit and i ran in place to try to get the whole numb feeling out of my feet.

i bet the cheerleaders were freezing.

the chargers closed the gap a bit more during the third quarter. they ran away with a touchdown while the packers only made a field goal. the score was 31 to 24 at the end of the third.

so… i really didn’t know much about how football worked before watching the game today. to be honest, i say i don’t like football because i don’t get football. yep, i am ignorant. i never tried to get it because i never actually cared. i never know what is going on and it looks like a big jumbled mess on the TV. i get annoyed and usually go grocery shopping on sundays while marshall watches football all day. however, i really do want to like football. marshall is so into it and it’s fun to have the same interests as him.  i wanted to enjoy myself at the game, so i asked him to explain it to me.  after a quick lesson in football and actually being at the game and seeing the action in a bigger setting than a TV screen, i got way more into it! i knew what was going on and by the end of the third quarter i was biting my nails from nerves!

during the fourth quarter, the ball changed hands a lot. not gonna lie, i got super nervous near the end. at one point, the packers were ahead by 21 points. i basically figured it was over and we’d won it,  but then the chargers quickly scored two touchdowns in a row bringing the gap to just 7 points. every time the ball was in the chargers’ possession i was a bag of nerves and literally had my fingers crossed and was repeating “don’t score, don’t score, don’t score.” who am i? a football fan?

i think we were all a bit nervous right up until the very end of the game. there was a lot of back and forth with the ball, but the packers came out  on top with a final score of 45 to 38. woohoo!

i am usually glad that the packers win for marshall’s sake (c’mon, who wants a bummed out husband?) but this time, i was genuinely stoked about the win!

we headed out of the stadium and the sun was peeking out from the clouds as it set… at like, five o’clock. that’s the downfall of falling back, i suppose.

there was a never ending line to get on the trolley, so marshall & i walked to a nearby starbucks and grabbed a coffee and a treat while waiting for our ride.

it was SUCH a great day and a great game. i am really happy (and grateful!) we were able to go. what are the chances that the packers were playing the chargers the same weekend as lucy’s baptism? it was totally meant to be.

well, we are leaving for the airport in less than six hours. i better get packed and maybe squeeze in some sleep! hope marshall gets on the plane… fingers crossed.

later skaters!

sb November 7, 2011 at 12:11 am

holla for the packers! 74 is my bff from high school!! so proud!!

Lauren November 7, 2011 at 12:40 am

Looks like you had an awesome time! Minus the cold and wet feet, of course.
It’s great to see the ones you love enjoy themselves. Such a great feeling :)

Also, your oldest niece is your Mini-Me. Just sayin’

– Lauren

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 7, 2011 at 1:47 am

The weather was awful today. Just horrible (by my standards…I hate cold and rainy weather!) and it’s one of those days I was grateful not to be out in it but you are so chipper after spending a day outside at the stadium…better you than me :)

Marshall’s wallet…whoa. I hope things go okay for you at the airport!

Glad you guys had a great weekend here with your family even if the weather was not at all typical.

cathy@1970kikiproject November 7, 2011 at 4:49 am

fingers crossed for marshall and getting thru security!
loved this blog post, j! you got to see such an exciting game! it does make all the difference to see a game live vs on tv. and also to know the rules. football and hockey are my two favourite team sports to watch.
and yes – totally meant to be that the packers were playing the chargers this weekend – just sorry it was rather soggy weather conditions!
maybe sunday afts will find YOU hooked to the tv, watching with marshall, now!

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope November 7, 2011 at 5:39 am

I hope everything goes okay with getting through security!! Good luck!

So awesome that you went to a professional NFL game! I went to an Eagles game one time and it was preseason game. So none of the players or fan’s were really into the game much. I would love to go to one before it gets really cold out. It’s so hard to get tickets though!

Betty November 7, 2011 at 5:45 am

Marshall looks SO happy in that first pic of you guys! Love it!

Hope you make it home safely!

Missy November 7, 2011 at 5:53 am

I figured you’d be a convert once you went to a live game! There’s nothing like it – such excitement! I’ve never been to a Pro (although I’m waiting to go to NOLA for a Saints game) but when I went to a big college SEC game, I was a convert! I guess the football fairies sprinkled the dust on me :). Of course, learning how it works helps. Once I understood it, I was a nailbiter too! That Ravens-steelers game last night was awesome!
I’m just so so glad for Marshall – he’ll be walking in air all week!
Well hope you have dried out and warmed up by now!

And Happy Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day!!!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 7, 2011 at 5:56 am

Sounds like such a great weekend! Glad you both had a wonderful time :D

Heather (Heather's Dish) November 7, 2011 at 6:07 am

we were going for the packers too…#26 is one my husband’s friends from texas! they used to play together all the time. it’s so cool how excited he gets when charlie’s playing!

Sarah@The Flying ONION November 7, 2011 at 6:07 am

Ahh!! This looks like such fun. I’ve never been to a game, so I’m living vicariously through you. ;)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 7, 2011 at 6:28 am

Sounds like fun! To bad it was soo cold :)

Cheri Z November 7, 2011 at 6:56 am

I love it! It looked like Marshall was about to bust with sheer joy. So cool! Good luck at the airport, and safe travels.

Cat @Breakfast to Bed November 7, 2011 at 7:03 am

I think alcohol could’ve warmed you faster. Or I just like to drink beer at games. could go either way.

Erica November 7, 2011 at 7:34 am

Oh no! That stinks that he lost his wallet. SO fun that you got to go to a game. It is a lot of fun once you understand it. I started to “get it” in college because Penn State football is HUGE. My favorite line of this post: “so we could get a better view of the players’ butts,” followed by a picture of Marshall looking through the lens…hahahha

Emily November 7, 2011 at 7:45 am

What an awesome coincidence! Glad you had a great time. Wishing you safe travels!

Krissie J November 7, 2011 at 8:02 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed the game! Scott has San Diego’s QB and a couple other players on his fantasy team, so we were rooting for San Diego to do well. But, that didn’t mean they had to win. Haha. He got the points he needed. I definitely didn’t quite get football til I met Scott, and now I yell just as much (if not more) than he does! :)

natalie (the sweets life) November 7, 2011 at 8:16 am

it makes me so happy that marshall is a packer fan (and that you are now too ;)) yesterday got intense toward the end–i imagine even moreso being there in person! glad you got to experience it…even if it was cold!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) November 7, 2011 at 8:27 am

The cheese heads make me lol. You are a smart wife to get on boARD the football train early in the marriage. Thankfully for me, I married a Brit who doesn’t care a lick about sports but in college I had a basketball loving boyfriend and I got really into it. It was fun!

Hope you got home ok!

sarah (sarah learns) November 7, 2011 at 8:27 am

woohoo! the game was SUCH a nail biter at the end. i am so happy the packers won though!

i was thinking of you guys during the game – i’m glad you had fun.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning November 7, 2011 at 8:36 am

okay, you definitely SOUND like a football fan! (or maybe just a football butts fan??)
I hope everything went okay with Marshall getting through security this morning! I’ve always wondered what you would do if you lost your ID while on a trip… keep us posted! (and get some sleep!)

Sara @ Sara Says... Bake. November 7, 2011 at 8:40 am

My boyfriend went to his first NFL game yesterday with my brother- the Jets vs the Bills in Buffalo. They sat in the front row at the 40 yard line- right behind all the Jets players. My brother is SUCH a big Jets fan, so he was in heaven. It was so exciting just watching them and seeing them on TV. It looks like you guys had fun even though the weather was crappy! (And in Buffalo it was gorgeous- even hot! Dillon came home with a sunburn!)

Kelly November 7, 2011 at 8:46 am

I hope you and Marshall get back but I do find it unsettling that someone could get on a flight with zero form of identification.

Bonnie November 7, 2011 at 9:03 am

What a fun day! And a great post too…you guys both really DO look so happy in those photos and I love the colors of the sky and stadium…beautiful, especially for a sports-thing. ;) I guess I’d say I’m a football fan – I understand the game and like it – and my brother grew up as a big time Packer’s fan so I’ve always loved whenever they’ve won too! Love going to sports games with friends/Mikey – always makes for a fun experience. Hope the flight home doesn’t wipe you out too much – early morning!

Susan November 7, 2011 at 9:32 am

I always feel bad for pro sports cheerleaders. It just seems like such a crappy job! They don’t get paid much, have to endure all kinds of weather, and they probably have to deal with sexual harassment on a regular basis. Sorry for the random comment, but I was thinking about this while I was watching football this weekend!

Errign November 7, 2011 at 10:48 am

Hope the airport thing goes well.

I always say I don’t like sports because I don’t understand them. I’ve always told boyfriends that I would maybe like them if we went to a live game and they explained them, but they always look at me like I’m a little slow and invite their boyfriends instead haha.

Laura November 7, 2011 at 10:50 am

I’ve always wondered what TSA does if someone loses their ID. I was super paranoid in DC about getting pickpocketed and then not being able to get home.

Gotta love those Packers! My husband was screaming curse words at the end of the game, first angry ones, then happy ones. I hope you said hi to my boyfriend, Clay Matthews, for me!

Kristina @ spabettie November 7, 2011 at 11:02 am

GO PACKERS!! :D

great day (great SEASON!) for Packer fans, indeed. Marshall looks so dang excited. isn’t it so much more fun when you get what’s going on? I spent high school Friday nights standing in the cold watching my boyfriend play football… the first few games not really knowing what was going on, but I learned quick! :D

hope all was smooth with no id…

Lauren November 7, 2011 at 11:33 am

Ok I’ve always been the exact same way as you with football, and after siting down a few times with my husband and having him explain it to me, (and continue to explain it to me), I actually find myself enjoying it too! And you’re right, it’s so nice to like the same things as your spouse. We watched the game and I thought of you guys and were happy they won, even though my hubs didn’t want them to win since we live outside of Chicago and cheer for the Bears. :) Glad to hear you had fun, and I bet you made Marshall soooo happy being so enthusiastic like that-and not even bumming out with the rain! Major wife points to you!

elise November 7, 2011 at 12:53 pm

yes!!! now we can talk football talk – haha. aaron is such a stud. unfortunately my QB on my fantasy team is phillip rivers, so i would have liked fewer interceptions by him…but obviously it helped the packers win, so i was happy.

elise November 7, 2011 at 12:53 pm

ps if you have no clue what i mean by my fantasy team, sorry. i got excited that you may understand fantasy football now too.

Christin November 7, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Sorry our sunny California wasn’t so sunny this weekend…I missed the warmth and sunshine too! (especially during my Saturday run) :(
Safe flights and have a great day! :)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List November 7, 2011 at 1:52 pm

YAY!! So now you’ll join my fantasy league?!? ;)

Pure2raw twins November 7, 2011 at 2:21 pm

you two are too cute! love seeing you both smile and happy

what a game ;)

LauraJayne November 7, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Glad you got to go to the game – I love NFL football, but actual games are pretty much my favorite things in the whole world! Hope everything goes (went?) okay at the airport!

Courtney November 7, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Haha! How you are about football is kinda how I am with soccer. We don’t watch a lot of pigskin, we watch a lot of the real European football! I’ve totally gotten into it. And I love that my husband and I follow it together – and that my Fantasy team is kicking his ass! Buahah!

Just want you to know though, I am a big Charger fan. That is all.

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife November 7, 2011 at 7:37 pm

how fun that you went together to the game! I love seeing my husband so delighted with games like that. Hehe :)

Cute pics of your guys!

kathleen @ the daily crumb November 7, 2011 at 8:09 pm

so i have to tell you… i really, really LOVE your blog, but don’t know if i can continue reading. you see i am a loyal bears fan and it seems there may be a conflict of interest :)

glad you enjoyed the game in san diego. have you ever been to lambeau? we are going up christmas day… i have a feeling it will be freeeeezing!

Candice November 7, 2011 at 11:26 pm

The game looked so fun!!! Good luck at the airport!!

Sami November 8, 2011 at 5:31 am

ohh my goodness! your nieces look a lot like you! glad you had a blast with the fam at the game! that’s what it’s all about ;)

xo.

Bobbi McCormick November 8, 2011 at 9:28 am

I can’t believe you were in SO CAL and I was in NO CAL :) Looks like you guys had a wonderful time in Cali and I hear ya on the packers winning (my hub’s loves them) know one wants a bummed husband! We will meet soon I know it!

Jenna November 8, 2011 at 9:37 am

Best.post.ever.
I’m a Wisco girl– born & raised. My husband is a HUGE packers fan and I have to admit, it wasn’t until the end of last season that I started to get into it myself. Now I watch every game & I actually CHEER to the TV. I’m really starting to understand the game.

I’m so jealous that you got to be there! It was such a nerve wrecking game… I was definitely biting my nails as well!

P.S. I found that hoodie on the VS website & added it to my Christmas list :D

Jessica @ Healthy Dairyland November 8, 2011 at 12:32 pm

What a game! I was definitely getting nervous towards the end! Go Packers!!!!! :D

Kim November 8, 2011 at 1:57 pm

yay for a W!!! you guys look super stoked at the game.. i love it

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats November 10, 2011 at 8:26 am

This looks like such a blast! :) I love the picture of you and Marshall with that big grin on his face! Definitely frameworthy!