to market.

by Janetha on October 2, 2011

in love life

it’s really sad that our days at the farmers market are numbered… less than a month before the downtown farmers market in salt lake city comes to an end. we are soaking up every saturday we can until that time comes.

on the upside, walking through the market is better than ever right now because of the cooler weather, the changing leaves and the plentiful produce that isn’t available during the hot summer months.

we started our morning out with coffee (for me) and fresh juice (for marshall.)

IMG_5066IMG_5068

we began by wandering through the craft section of the market, doing a bit of early christmas shopping.

IMG_5074IMG_5083IMG_5084

yep, that means i can’t post our purchases. i can, however, show you these awesome face masks that look like beards. the product paired with the clever name, five o’clock shadow, is one of the smartest ideas to hit utah winters.

IMG_5078IMG_5081

like how the last reason to wear one is “being awesome”?

we made our way to the produce area.

IMG_5134IMG_5097IMG_5130

we picked up peaches, pears, fresh goat cheese and homemade jam.  essentials.

IMG_5088IMG_5132IMG_5104IMG_5091

after the market, we headed across the street to bruges waffles & frites so marshall could get an order of frites.

IMG_5118IMG_5137

he dipped them in an andalouse aioli that was made up of basil, orange bell pepper, mustard and cayenne. it was tasty!

i do love winter and snow.. but saturdays at the farmers market is one thing i am really going to miss.

1. what is one thing you will miss about the warmer months?

2. what is on thing you are looking forward to this upcoming winter?

Lauren October 2, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I’m definitely gonna miss the outdoors farmer’s markets, but there is an inside one every 2 weeks during the winter! It’s literally a 1 min walk from my apt too, which is so convenient.

Jess@atasteofconfidence October 2, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Our farmers market is open 52 weeks a year and I am so glad…but it does have less stuff as it gets colder. I still enjoy going, though.

Missy October 2, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I already miss the strawberries and peaches – you can still get them in grocery stores, but too much money!
For winter, I’m looking forward to possible snow (we dont usually get much in the south) as well as the holidays ;)

I’m so jealous of the Farmers Market y’all have!

Sable@SquatLikeALady October 2, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I gather that I don’t get a winter since I moved to south Florida. Ah well.

Those paintings (I think?) of owls are SO cute. So so cute. I wish I went to your farmer’s market…I could totally have gotten a few of them for my Christmas list ;-)

Diana October 2, 2011 at 3:15 pm

those beards are amazing…if they will ship to Missouri I think I have half of my xmas list taken care of!

Diana October 2, 2011 at 3:17 pm

just checked. they do. DONE.

Carrie@shrinkingcarrie October 2, 2011 at 3:49 pm

You’re lucky, our Farmers Market ended on September 22. Boo. I love SLC’s FM, and we go with my dad every time we’re in town in the summer. I won’t miss summer very much. Only the festivals and maybe the longer days.
I’m looking forward to hoodies and soup for winter! Yay!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Growing up in MN, I had plenty of face masks like the 5oclockshawdown ones, nothing quite so cute or cozy looking.

And you’re already doing xmas shopping…I am.impressed.big.time.

Eden October 2, 2011 at 4:59 pm

AND…..this is why you need to move to LA! We have the market 365 days a year. Everyday there is a market SOMEWHERE. Always. Plus I live here, that should be reason enough.

I miss having a metabolism of a 10 year old.

momma b. October 2, 2011 at 5:34 pm

The absoluetly exquisite hot hot days….. love the heat!

Clogs, vests, jeans and getting back to bikram yoga!

xo

Erica October 2, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Love the market! Christmaa shopping? That scares me. Peaches are awesome right now! I will miss flip flops most. I like winter…. Squash?

melissanibbles October 2, 2011 at 6:01 pm

The first picture of Marshall is a great shot! Nice picture taking skills girl!

julie October 2, 2011 at 6:43 pm

okay i’m not hitting on your hubs or anything but dude look swanky in that first picture! get it gurrrrrrl

Paige @ Running Around Normal October 2, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Sadly, I have not been to the farmer’s market once this year!! Blasphemy, I know.
Farmers markets are excellent places to do Christmas shopping – so many unique gifts!:)

Denise October 2, 2011 at 9:06 pm

I will definetly miss the Farmers Market but will be happy to go snowboarding:)

Elizabeth @ reads recipes runs October 2, 2011 at 9:25 pm

How can I never find the fresh juice at the farmers market? Next time I am there I refuse to leave until I find it! Haha.

I will miss having such a small gas bill haha. I am not a fan of summer really at all…

This will be my first full winter in Utah! I am excited for fall and I am excited to actually experience a real winter. I want to try to get out there and do wintery things, even if it’s just drinking cocoa while my husband snowboards haha.

Janetha October 3, 2011 at 1:04 pm

It’s right next to the Great Harvest tent and ATMs! Basically at the “T” where the food strip and produce area connect.

Carly October 2, 2011 at 9:35 pm

I have a toque that is wraps around my chin to look like a 5 o’clock shadow! It is the best invention ever for snowboarding! And being awesome.

Sana October 2, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Warm slippers :)

Karen October 2, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I already miss the longer day light hours! I don’t like that it’s getting dark so early : (

Kelsey October 2, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I really like those leather purses/bags, especially the turquoise ones. Also, I hate mayo, but I love aioli. What does it mean?!?! Haha. :-) The aioli you described sounds amayyyyzing!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats October 2, 2011 at 10:12 pm

The owl pictures are so cute! :)

One thing I will miss about the warmer months is the wonderful fresh produce and wearing sandals.

Something I am looking forward to this winter is graduating!

Ida October 2, 2011 at 10:15 pm

I am going to miss all of the daylight. Short days are the worst part of winter for me.
But I am looking forward to honeycrisp apples, and using the fireplace.

Laura October 3, 2011 at 1:35 am

I’m going to miss not having to wear a jacket and carry an umbrella all the time. Also, muddy dog feet will be rough since we have 8 paws instead of 4 now.

I’m so excited for the holidays though :) I love Christmas!

Also, this winter I’m going to do a couple months of crossfit while I take a break from the long running. That will start up again in the spring.

cathy October 3, 2011 at 5:55 am

glad you got out to the market while you can, janetha! what lovely sunshine!
love those face masks, and that IS a great name for a company.
haha – love that you started xmas shopping. i have one gift purchased already. will start in earnest in a couple of weeks.
so, i am looking forward to xmas prep but i am really really going to miss warm weather and long days. it was FREEZING here this weekend!

Jena October 3, 2011 at 6:30 am

I love the farmer’s market that you go to! Those 5 o’clock shadows are pretty stellar!

The only thing i miss about summer is being able to go to the beach. Fortunately, or unfortunately our winter in FL is short. We went to the beach on Saturday where I obtained an awesome sunburn. And, we are headed to the beach next weekend as well.

I’ve been begging for cooler days for weeks, running in this heat is awful. Sunday it was in the 50’s-60’s a good portion of the day & I had a glorious 10 mile run. I’m definitely looking forward to better race times and delightful long runs!

Erika - The Teenage Taste October 3, 2011 at 6:40 am

I’ll miss reading about your weekend trips to the Farmer’s Market, Janetha! My Farmer’s Market is a joke compared to yours! :-P

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 3, 2011 at 8:45 am

I’m going to miss the farmers market and the fresh produce. I’m definitely looking forward to the fall squash though. :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning October 3, 2011 at 9:36 am

Wow- your farmers’ market is awesome! The local market that I go to has a lot of veggies, fruits, meat, eggs and dairy- but not a lot of prepared food or artisans/craft-makers.
I will definitely miss our market- it always ends the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Time to stock up on apples and squash- luckily they last forever!

sarah October 3, 2011 at 12:10 pm

That frite dip does sound good! I’m looking forward to the farmer’s market.. lol, oddly the Ohio State farmer’s market opens in October! I’m not looking forward to trudging through campus in snow boots though. Put me in front of the fireplace with a mug of coffee and a good book :)

Amanda October 3, 2011 at 12:23 pm

I love Farmer’s Markets. We have one within walking distance on Tuesday nights. It’s nice to have it so close.

I need to start Christmas shopping. Kind of scary to think about now. But I always get behind with it.

The weather is always the same here I swear. I’m excited for it to get a few degrees cooler.

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition October 3, 2011 at 12:45 pm

The beach!! And the warm Sun and my bikinis!!

Although I do love pumpkin anything and wearing boots!

Nicole C October 3, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I will probably only miss the warmth of the sun and sitting under trees at the park. No shorts or bathing suits for this girl!

I’m pretty jazzed for fall clothes, hoodies and hopefully my birthday trip to Europe that I still need to book. :)

Jenn@slim-shoppin October 3, 2011 at 2:07 pm

That’s a fancy farmers market you go to! If mine had fries, my kids would definately go! :)

And those face masks are awesome too. I live in Chicago and walk to work year round – I wonder if you can order those online? I’m going to check it out.

I, for one am ready for cooler temps. I love fall and love winter more than summer

Kelly October 3, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Those owl prints are amazing!! I would totally buy some if I saw them while out and about. :)

Toronto Girl West October 6, 2011 at 12:09 am

Our last Farmer’s Market is this Sunday. And come to think of it, since we’re moving it will likely be my last Farmer’s Market here. :(

I live in a small place but I love the vibrancy that the weekly market brought to an otherwise sleepy town. It made it seem so cosmopolitan and like a cohesive community!

I’ll definitely miss the Farmer’s Market days of summer!

Lou October 9, 2011 at 5:34 am

That looks like an awesome farmer’s market – love LOVE markets of any description. How cool are those beardy face-masks!?! mmm goats cheese :)

Leasa October 12, 2011 at 1:22 am

This farmers market is amazing and I’m curious if you know the vendors name that does the leather purses??

janetha October 12, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Aw man, I am sorry.. I have no idea! If we make it on Saturday I will be sure to check for you.

Janetha October 23, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Okay, I found out! It is a vendor called Loriano Tolaini our of Bountiful, UT and their phone number is 8018084521. I tried to find a website but couldn’t… maybe you could call them to see if they sell online?

Leasa October 24, 2011 at 8:23 am

Janetha!!!!
Thank you so much for taking the time to find them!!! I truly appreciate it and will give them a ring! May your day be great!