fancy shmancy breakfast.

by Janetha on August 14, 2011

in recipes

don’t you think crepes are fancy?

no? just me?

maybe it is because i grew up eating pancakes, french toast and waffles—but never crepes. i have only eaten crepes at restaurants and have never, ever made them (or had them made for me) at home.

marshall always orders crepes for breakfast if they are on the menu.  he is constantly asking me to make him crepes. i keep putting it off because, well,  they intimidate me!

my blog-reader-friend mcintosh sent me a crepe recipe ages ago and i filed it in the “recipes to make” folder of my email (along with 1,542 others) and actually kind of forgot about it.

until today.

this morning, marshall asked me to make him crepes. my mother-in-law had given me a special crepe making pan, i knew i had all the ingredients from mcintosh’s recipe on hand and i had a whole morning to kill.

i agreed to make him crepes.

the recipe looked like it made quite a bit of batter, so i reduced it to 1/3 of the original.

classic crepes (from mcintosh):

• 1 cage free, organic egg
  • 1 TB organic evaporated cane juice
  • 1/3 tsp salt
  • 2/3 cup + 2 TB 2% milk
  • 1/3 cup + 1 TB organic all purpose flour
  • 1 TB vegetable oil

directions:

combine egg, sweetener & salt in a bowl. add milk, mix well. add flour, mix well. add oil, mix well. let stand 10-15 minutes before cooking crepes. heat a skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. pour 1/4 cup batter into skillet and cook each side until golden (~2  minutes each side.)

while the batter sat, i prepped the filling and toppings.

fresh farmers market peaches + raspberries for the filling.

fresh vanilla bean whipped cream for the topping.

i plugged in the crepe maker and was ready to go!

turns out, the super awesome crepe maker that my MIL gave me didn’t work! it wouldn’t heat up.  i was so bummed.. and kind of nervous that my crepes weren’t going to turn out if i had to use a skillet.

the batter was already made and i was committed, so i pressed on.

turns out, cooking crepes is pretty easy. they seem a lot fancier than they really are! i followed the directions above and (after only botching one crepe) i ended up with eight superthin crepes! (good thing i reduced the recipe!)

i filled them with the fruit and rolled them up—using my enchilada rolling skills, naturally.

then topped them with the fresh whipped cream and sprinkled with cinnamon.

IMG_2249IMG_2245IMG_2247

fancy, shmancy.

these were delicious! thanks to mcintosh for the awesome recipe.  i am really happy with my new crepe-making abilities. marshall is, too. i can’t wait to experiment with different combos—both sweet and savory.

1. what item/dish are you intimidated to make yourself?

2. do you like crepes? do you prefer sweet or savory crepes?

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 15, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Your crepes look amazing – my favorite filling is peanut butter/chocolate chip! I’m scared to make any kind of large meat roast – I wouldn’t know where to start!

Shanna, Like Banana August 15, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I’m a sweet crepes girl….the savory ones just don’t do it for me..it’s like they are having an identity crisis.

Yours turned out great!

LauraJayne August 15, 2011 at 3:44 pm

I adore crepes, but I’ve been totally afraid to make them too! My grandmother makes amazing ones, but the amount of work I remember her putting into them (and the filling she makes, a Scandinavian one that I can’t pronounce, let alone spell) always scared me! I’m totally impressed by your culinary skills… but I think I’m still to chicken to try to make them myself.

debbie@accidentlydelish August 15, 2011 at 4:05 pm

is the recipe you posted for the reduced version or the original? i’ve always wanted to try crepes!

Janetha August 15, 2011 at 4:06 pm

This is the reduced version! It’ll make about 8 crepes give or take–so I assume the original makes well over 20!

Kim @ Imperfectly Perfect August 15, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Your crepes look terrific! I’ve never had or made them, but just might have to give them a shot now. My boyfriend isn’t much of a breakfast eater. The most he’ll have is a Starbuck’s breakfast sandwich that he chokes down during the car ride back home. I like to be able to sit down and enjoy my meal.

You have a “recipes to make” folder too? I’m afraid to even know how many recipes are in mine. I always go back to look through and then get excited. ;)

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food August 15, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Crepes definitely intimidate me and I DO think they are fancy! Like we are having a glamorous French breakfast! :-)

Christin August 15, 2011 at 5:26 pm

oooh those look yummy! I am terrified of making crepes…I burn pancakes easily enough as it is! :)
I prefer sweet crepes usually, but i’ve had some good savory ones.

I am part of a pirate guild (dork alert!) and at the renaissance faires we attend there is usually a “crepe guy” (german food stand during fair hours) that sells crepes to the guilds in the mornings before fair opens…I got one with strawberries, bananas, and Nutella one time…it was delicious! :)

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers August 15, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Crepes and pancakes both intimidate me. I’m always scared they’ll stick to the pan and burn. Maybe one day I’ll actually make the hubby some pancakes, but he better not hold his breath.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) August 15, 2011 at 7:45 pm

well done, janetha!!! wow I am super impressed! I am so scared to ever make crackers or biscotti..anything that turns out hard in the oven…just intimidates me!! i always want to try my hand at homemade graham crackers or biscotti but I just cant get myself to make them!!!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather August 15, 2011 at 7:58 pm

You aren’t the only one… Crepes are fancy! And fabulous. I love crepes.

julie August 15, 2011 at 8:56 pm

crepes are so depressing to me because they remind me that i will never get to paris hahaha

megan @ muncher cruncher August 15, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Fancy Schmancy is right! Looks SO delish! Utah peaches REALLY are the best. Like…really.

Kat August 16, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I’m too intimidated to cook meat – I’m terrified I’ll undercook it. I should probably figure it out though, my parents can’t cook for me forever lol.

Crepes take me back to my senior trip to France and Italy last year – we stopped in a couple cute little villages along the way and got homemade, still warm hazelnut crepes! Nutella crepes are amazing too, silly lactose intolerance :/

elise August 17, 2011 at 4:39 pm

crepes are so fancy – look at you!
those raspberries just reminded me i havent had ANY this season. wtf is wrong with me?? noted for my next farmer’s market visit.
my recipes-to-make folder is also ridiculous. seriously, i need to quit my job and take up full time cooking or they arent going to get done ever. bc thats a reality in my life…