abcdefood.

by Janetha on May 25, 2011

in questions answered,random rambles

it’s no secret that i have a thing for food. i also have a thing for surveys. what can i say? i like answering questions. that’s the real reason i ask them at the end of my posts.. i know how fun it is to answer questions. when i saw this FOOD SURVEY on errign’s blog, i had to hop right on it. two of my favorites in one! call me trendy, i don’t mind. i even stole errign’s title.

A is for Apple, what’s your favorite variety?

honeycrisp!

even though they are the most expensive apple around.. they are so worth it.

B: is for Bread, regardless of nutrition, calories, or whole grains what is your favorite type to have a nice big piece of?

sourdough straight from san fran. piping hot with butter, thanks.

here is a photo of my cute niece circa 2008—digging into a mini loaf of sourdough when we were in san fran. she’s got the right idea.

C: is for Cereal what is your favorite kind currently (just one!) Currently

JUST ONE? cereal is my favorite food! how can i pick? okay, okay.. if i have to.. barbara’s shredded spoonfuls is a current favorite.

but for the record, i feel bad leaving all my other favorites out.

D: is for Doughnuts, you might not currently be eating them but what kind do you fancy?

to be completely honest, i really don’t fancy donuts. BUT, if i was going to eat one, i would go with plain old glazed. fun fact: to find photos for this post, i am searching my archives to find old photos. i searched “doughnut” and this post came up, where i said the EXACT same thing. no photos of doughnuts, though.

E: is for Eggs, how would you like yours prepared?

i like eggs any way they come, but my favorite way is over easy or over medium or poached.. just as long as i can get some runny yolk!

F: is for Fat Free, what is your favorite fat free product?

i don’t buy things based on their fat content, but i do LOVE 0% plain greek yogurt, which is fat free, so i will go with that.

chobani, please.

G: is for Groceries, where do you purchase yours at?

i am going to correct you, mister survey, and say you should not end this question with “at”!

but anyway.. my groceries come from:

• costco
  • sunflower market
  • whole foods
  • smith’s marketplace
  • sometimes target

i rarely shop elsewhere.

H: is for Hot Beverages, what is your favorite hot drink?

coffee, coffee, coffee.

Wedding Photography In Utah

we love coffee so much, we got our wedding photos taken in front of a huge coffee sign.

I: is for Ice Cream, pick a favorite flavor and add a fun topping.

oh! ice cream! that is my favorite topic. favorite flavor is definitely vanilla bean, preferably homemade. favorite topping is oreos.. or, in my case, newman o’s, like this one here..

i am also partial to homemade cookie dough as a topping..

J: is for Jams or Jellies, do you eat them, and if so what kind and flavor?

i don’t eat a lot of jam because i would rather eat a piece of fruit, but i have no problem picking my favorite. it’s momma b’s homemade raspberry freezer jam. IT IS THE BEST STUFF ON THE JAM PLANET.

even better when you slather it atop a hot piece of toast with peanut butter.

or on a piping hot scone made by momma b. recipe here.

K: is for Kashi, name your favorite Kashi product?

i love kashi! kashi golean is probably my favorite..

it is also the one i eat most often. although i love all the kashi products, especially the cereals. go figure.

L: is for Lunch, what was yours today?

L is for leftovers. leftover chicken, black bean and sweet potato enchiladas!

they were great, thanks for asking.

M: is for microwave, what is your favorite microwave meal/snack?

hmmm the only time i use the microwave is to warm up homemade leftovers, to make my egg white pillows or to cook spaghetti squash… do those count?

OH! i love deb’s microwave protein cake. DUH.

N: is for nutrients, do you likes carbs, fats, or proteins best?

as i led you all to believe in my last post, i am a carb lover and i get a carb lover’s high every time i eat them. let’s just say i would be perfectly content surviving off ice cream, bread, fruit and cereal for the rest of my days.

yes, i am a protein queen, but i am a carb lover at the core.

O: is for oil, what kind do you like to use?

motor oil for my car, olive oil for my cooking.

P: is for protein, how do you get yours?

how don’t i get mine? i eat protein at every meal! my favorite types:

• low fat cottage cheese
  • plain greek yogurt
  • chicken breasts
  • eggs
  • protein powders

Q: is for Quaker, how do you like your oats?

with a scoop of vanilla protein powder and a hefty dose of mighty maple peanut butter.

protein oats are the jam! they are also good with jam.

and i guess i love that placemat.

R: is for roasting, what is your favorite thing to roast?

aside from the typical answer of vegetables (because i do love roasted veggies!) i also love to roast marshmallows.

mainly because it means i am camping, and i love camping.

S: is for sandwich, what’s your favorite kind?

turkey avocado! i order it ALL. THE. TIME.

most recently last weekend. and the weekend before that. oh and also here.

T: is for travel, how do you handle eating while traveling?

are you kidding? the main reason i travel is for the food! i eat healthy and clean the majority of my life.. but when i am traveling, all healthy guidelines go out the window and i eat whatever i want.

yes, sometimes what i want is healthy.

raw vegan tasting plate at cafe gratitude in san francisco.

other times it’s not.

best cinnamon bun of my life at tartine in san francisco. same trip.

i just roll with it. because i love food SO much, i like to soak up all the local cuisine because i never know when i will be back to a certain location. this is a topic i feel very strongly about, can you tell?

U: is for unique, what is one of your weirdest food combos?

some people are really skeeved out with my addiction to sweet potatoes+cottage cheese+sunflower seed butter+ketchup.

i love it. don’t knock it ‘til you try it! then, if you don’t like it, feel free to knock all you want.

V: is for vitamins, what kind do you take?

lots.

you can get a full rundown here.

W: is for wasabi, yay or nay?

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it’s great with sushi..

but i especially love it in the form of WASABI PEAS.

oh, yum.

X: is for XC Foodie, why is she so awesome? XRAY. if we xrayed your belly right now, what food would we see?

um. okay, i had to change this one because i don’t know who that XC foodie is. SO.. yep. changed. to xray. because that’s what i came up with.

if you xrayed my stomach, you would see my snack!

it was a parfait with plain chobani+fresh raspberries+justin’s hazelnut butter. and dang, it was good.

i bet it doesn’t look this classy in my stomach.

Y: is for youth, what food reminds you of your childhood?

so many! a few that come to mind:

• flintstones pushups
  • fruity pebbles (okay, i am seeing a flintstones theme here..)
  • pace’s dairy ann popsicles that came in the PINK PAPER wrappers (if you are from bountiful you know this one well)
  • english muffin pizzas
  • totino’s pizzas
  • my mom’s crock pot sunday dinners including pot roast with mashed potatoes and pork chops with rice
  • dipping potato chips in cottage cheese or sour cream with a chip-to-dip ratio of 1:4.

okay, i will stop.

Z: is for zucchini, how do you prepare it?

i don’t.. because marshall hates it. but i really like it! if i do buy it, i like to eat it roasted or grilled. it’s also super good to grate it into strips, steam it and top it with a laughing cow cheese sauce.

THE END.

that was more fun than i could ever have hoped. i guess i am not quite ready for “normal” blogging just yet…

YOUR TURN.

quick! what are your initials?

take the two to three letters from your initials and find the corresponding questions, then answer them. that will be fun.

Heather May 26, 2011 at 9:15 am

Hot beverage: Zhena’s Coconut Chai Tea (I am obessed)

Roasted food: Roast chicken (plain and simple)

cbrady3 May 26, 2011 at 9:21 am

Totally stealing this survey and doing it this afternoon! I love it!

My initials are CDB

C – the cereal I eat the most is Kashi Go Lean. But I love me some cinnamon toast crunch and honey bunches of oats! And Special K red berries.

D – Donuts. Don’t eat them much, but used to love getting chocolate long johns when I was little!

B – Bread. Yes please. Irish soda bread. Whole wheat bread. Pumpkin Bread. It’s all good

Abby May 26, 2011 at 9:26 am

My initials are ALS.

A-My favorite apple variety is the Pink Lady! :)

L-I haven’t had lunch yet today!

S-My favorite sandwich is crunchy peanut butter with cinnamon and banana on Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel bread.

Megan May 26, 2011 at 9:30 am

MCB are my initials!

M: I don’t use my microwave that often either, but I do “bake” sweet potatoes in my microwave on an almost weekly basis :) YUM!

C: I think cereal might be my favorite food too… And since I”m pregnant, I usually eat two bowls per day (one at morning, one at night!). My current favorite would have to be… Cinnamon Chex! So good yet soooo not good for you.

B: I’m not a huge bread lover, but I love the sweeter dark wheat breads that you get at places like Cheesecake Factory, Outback, etc. I’m assuming they have molasses in them? YUM! Or, if I’m being completely glutonous, I would pick a fresh buttery croissant :) That counts as bread, right?!

janetha May 26, 2011 at 12:21 pm

YES croissants count. YUM, they are so good! And I eat two bowls of cereal daily and am not pregnant.. hahaha

Megan May 26, 2011 at 9:33 am

And can I answer J as well???? Because I had the most AMAZING jam while in Europe last fall… Black currant preserves. They were so good, and so fresh! I had them in London and Prague. I looked for them everywhere here, and finally found a jar at our Safeway. It’s good, but not the same :(

ashley May 26, 2011 at 10:01 am

Two of mine are the same so I will cheat and use my bf’s first initial too!
A – apple, honeycrisp as well! Hands down the best.
D – doughnuts, not really a fan either but if I had to choose, sour cream glazes can be pretty tasty.
S – sandwich, sun dried tomato turkey and havarti..yummm
New reader btw, I love your blog from what I’ve read!

lowandbhold May 26, 2011 at 10:11 am

K – I like several Kashi products. The Berry Blossoms cereal is awesome, off the top of my head.
S – I like all sandwiches, but my top fave is probably caprese.
B – Potato bread or that really dark brown bread at some restaurants, slathered in real butter.

Holly May 26, 2011 at 10:26 am

janetha bean,

i heart you. i heart that you heart carbs. i heart your nieces and nephews (i want to steal them, for the record). i heart that you heart coffee. i hearted your palm springs recaps with deb and eden (seriously jealous i wasn’t there). i heart that you strut your muts. i do not heart that you got sick – i hope you are better. i heart this survey. i think i would heart momma b’s jam. raspberry is the ONLY flavor i buy. i heart that cinnabon bun from tartine. dayum, that was good. and it makes me think of our time in san fran, which was also heartful. i heart how cute you and marshall are. i heart the major haul of groceries you buy and just you really.

have a lovely day friend :)

holly

Holly May 26, 2011 at 10:30 am

p.s.

H: coffee, obvs.
A: apples! braeburn or pink lady or honeycrisp. my fave 3.
W: wasabi – NAY!

Annette @EnjoyYourHealthyLife May 26, 2011 at 10:34 am

Okay LOVED this post. And your pictures rocked. SO fun!

AEP
Apple: Gala or Honey Crisp!
Eggs: egg whites in the microwave, or slightly underdone with runny yolk!
Protein: EGGS! Cottage cheese! Chicken/turkey! Cheese! Prot powders! Nuts! BEANS!

awesome sauce, Janetha :) p.s. I add to the ice cream comment, BEST stuff ever!

Jessica Rose May 26, 2011 at 10:51 am

What a fun idea :)

J: Smucker’s Strawberry Jam (not very creative, but what can I say)
R: I love roasted corn
L: Tuna Salad on a bed of Romaine with Cherry Tomatoes & Almonds

Sami May 26, 2011 at 10:58 am

SAC. And yes, my last name is COX :P

S-is for sandwich, what’s your favorite kind?
TURKEY with laughing cow and apricot jam <3 sweet+savory!

A-apple: JONAGOLD. They are huge, juicy, and sweet!

C-cereal: I'm an oat bran kinda girl :)

Jillian May 26, 2011 at 11:06 am

OOOH!! This is FUN!

J – JAM.. Polaner Raspberry w/ fiber

V – Vitamins…Biotin for my hair and nails

T – I added my confirmation name initial…Travel: I eat the way you eat when I travel, enjoy it all and don’t hold back!

L – Lunch today was Dr. Praeger’s veggie burner w/ goat cheese, side of veggies and hummus… fiber stomoch ache much?

PS. Thank you for writing extra long posts because I load them before I get on the underground no-cell phone service train to work and read it on the my ride!

janetha May 26, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Haha I am glad at least one person appreciates my long-windedness!

Little Miss Fitness May 26, 2011 at 11:19 am

Love this post! :)

S: fav sandwich is a veggie with some yummy hummus.

E: fav eggs are over easy with a piece of wheat toast.

P: fav way to get protein is eating greek yogurt to start my day! :)

McIntosh May 26, 2011 at 11:46 am

Love surveys…good time fillers when you need a mental break. Alphabetical favorite activities is a fun one too.

I had to laugh when you corrected the question for letter G. Spelling and grammar errors frustrate me (:

N for nutrients: Probably carbs though protein is a close second depending on what form. Never was good with fats though.

A: Love apples. Hard to pick a fave. Jonagold or Empire right now.

K: Have only tried the Kashi Go Lean so I guess I have to pick that one.

coffeeandthepaper May 26, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Been loving your grab bag posts lately girl!

S – peanut butter sandwich all the way!
L – lunch was baked tofu, a salad, and watermelon!
M – warming my cereal in the micro for 20 seconds is a must!

janetha May 26, 2011 at 12:23 pm

warm cereal?! just like.. a bowl of cereal and milk, but warm? i am intrigued.

Beth May 26, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I liked reading this a lot. So fun.

B: I love Challah or brioche. Anything buttery and rich.
E: I will only eat eggs one way. Poached.
M: I don’t own a microwave.
D: I love donuts like you love ice cream. Apple fritters are my fave, but I only eat one once or twice a year in the fall from a local orchard that makes them from scratch.

Rachel C May 26, 2011 at 1:06 pm

R. Roasting-it has to be mashmallows, but I like them charred!! ;)

J. Jam-Orange Marmalade

C. Cereal-Kashi Vive (they no longer make it-bummer)

This was fun!! Thanks.

Julia May 26, 2011 at 1:11 pm

J: I love jellies! My favorite is Knott’s boisenberry or any Trader Joe’s jam (besides strawberry)
A: Fiji apples! with cheese :)
D: old fashioned donuts! or apple fritter if I’m feeling really crazy

The Sometimes Healthy Girl May 26, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Oh this IS fun! JLH

J – Jellies and Jams! I love them both. Quite honestly, while I love the special stuff, the plain ol’ Smuckers grape also makes me a happy lady. I made OIAJJ – Oats in a Jam Jar today!
L – Lunch was a frittata with grilled chicken, mozzarella, tomatoes and mushrooms, plus sweet potato fries. YUMMY
H – Hot beverages? Coffee first all the time any time all day every day. Followed a close second by hot chocolate. yummmmay

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 26, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Push-ups will always remind me of my childhood too :)

Olivia May 26, 2011 at 2:07 pm

ahhh I’m the same way, I LOVE answering questions and doing surveys!! (and filling out paperwork, is that weird!?) this survey looks so fun though and i’ve seen it on a few blogs now…it might just enter mine within the next few days;) i always have to have the runny yolk eggs too:) and plain greek yog. 0% is my fave! fage rocks the most! lovvve costco and whole foods and wow, this is becoming quite the lengthy comment! hehe love your blog though and really we have so freakin’ much in common…i love all these same things! like oats with nut butta, pb &jammed toast, ICE CREAM, newman o’s! the list goes on and on.. :)

janetha May 26, 2011 at 2:09 pm

We do have a lot in common! Ha! I love filling out paperwork, too.. strangely exciting.

Olivia May 26, 2011 at 2:08 pm

PS!! I have TOTALLY had sweet potatoes with sunflower seed butta’, ketchup and cottage cheese…I swear, who else eats that! Twinsies!?! Love it!!

Missy May 26, 2011 at 2:32 pm

I just love the way you catch that the sentence should not end in prepostion, yet your sentence starts out with an uncaptilized “I”!! I know I read where you don’t capitilize anything, I just thought it was funny!

Great survey, but I wish for X the question would have been Xanthan Gum – do you use it or not? (of course I do!)

But my initials are AMC

A – Favorite apple – Honeycrisp or Pink Lady, love em both

M – Microwave snack? Well it used to be those apples, sliced and cored, sprinkled with cinnaomon and Canadaian Sugar Twin microwaved about 2-3 minutes and sprayed with butter spray (so good like apple pie) but now since I have made Deb’s muffins, that is my favorite!

C – Kashi Go Lean , hands down. That is why I am so jealous of the generic brand you can buy at Sunflower! I could take out a whole box easily!

Thanks for neat survey – I fully expect to see 50 of them by tomorrow!

fittingbackin May 26, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Your enchiladas look insane! And good for you for taking so many vitamins!

My F is fat-free sour cream.

My L is a turkey wrap.

My O is for olive oil for most recipes; canola for others. Even sesame oil a few times!

Dana@TheSundaySweet May 26, 2011 at 4:02 pm

This was an awesome post to read! Just found your blog.
Come say hi @ The Sunday Sweet

Monica May 26, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Super fun posts this week. Keep ’em comin’! (no pressure) :D

M: Like you I don’t microwave much except for water and leftovers.

Y: Foods that remind me of my youth: Pop Tarts, cream chipped beef, Pringles, spaghetti with meatballs, Cheerios, ice cream sandwiches, white rice with gravy, and Monkey Bread!! (Good lord…it’s a wonder I wasn’t overweight! Ahhhhh, the metabolisms of our youth.)

Q: I like my oats the way I have them most mornings, with vanilla protein powder, almond butter or raw almonds, flaxseed meal, blueberries, cinnamon and a splash of almond milk! (That sounds like the biggest bowl of oatmeal ever but it’s only 1 Tbsp each of all the add-ins. :))

I agree with so many of your other ones too…Kashi Go Lean, fat free Greek yogurt, coffee coffee coffee and wasabi!!!!!!

Juliette May 26, 2011 at 5:27 pm

JMJ

I love Hero raspberry jam – the best!
Best snack that I microwave is tortillas with swiss cheese.
I don’t really like jelly.

Juliette May 26, 2011 at 5:28 pm

PS. Have you tried the Wasabi flavored almonds (Blue Diamond)? They are really good.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) May 26, 2011 at 5:46 pm

omg this post totally reminded me of the cottage cheese, sweet potato and nut butter combo! I remembe ryou had that alot last year and I stole it from you :) it is SO good! i would skip the ketchup on top but I know you love that sweet n’ savory thing!

barbaras shredded spoonfuls is SO GOOOOOOOOODDDDD I also love PB puffins, and honey bunches of oats and kashi go lean crunch…gosh why is cereal so addicting?!

LauraJayne May 27, 2011 at 1:05 am

love love love your design!

L – Amy’s Frozen Meal. Teriyaki. Not a surprise.
J – My mother’s homemade peach jam is my favorite, followed closely by her freezer-Raspberry jam. I eat them plain, like ice cream.
P – Nuts, beans, and dairy. It’s the vegetarian trifecta. Or so I like to tell myself to make me feel hardcore. Or something like that.

mering4 May 26, 2011 at 6:13 pm

M: I use the microwave mostly for leftovers and deb’s protein cake’s, too!!
E: I love when my grandma makes scrambled eggs…she puts loads of cheese in there and they are so delicious!! I also love a good omelet!
R: mmmm roasted chickpeas! yum!

I love this survey!!

lifttorun May 26, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I could totally relate with the foods from your youth. I lived off of those foods.
I never had wasabi peas or whatever those were. They look good.

julie May 26, 2011 at 6:15 pm

haha so cute! let’s seeee….

jmp

j is for JAM can i choose my favorite song of the moment? which would be for some odd reason the country strong sound track

p is for PROOOTEIN hahahaha lets see…fish fish fish, canned fish, shrimpie pimpies, protein powder, EGGSSSSSSSSS uummmmm i wish greek yogurt if my stomach didn’t hate me

Angie May 27, 2011 at 1:27 am

Fun idea!

A – I eat an apple almost very day, so I know the varieties well. My favorites that are always in my fridge are Fuji and Pink Lady.
M – If I am in a hurry I make oats in the microwave, or if I am in the mood for eggs in the am, I will make eggs in a mug.
R – Last night for dinner I roasted baby red potatoes and onion as a side with flank steak on the grill.

BroccoliHut May 26, 2011 at 6:52 pm

What a fun post!
C: Cereal–favorite is GoLean!
W: Wasabi is amazing–I am slightly obsessed with wasabi peas as a tuna salad accompaniment.
Y: Youth foods–I actually just talked about this in my post tonight! For me it’s Pop Tarts, Teddy Grahams, and Goldfish.

marissa May 26, 2011 at 7:48 pm

MC

Microwave: mainly leftovers

Cereal: my faves are not healthy ones, so i rarely eat them (pebbles, cinnamon toast crunch, frosted mini wheats, raisin bran).

janetha May 27, 2011 at 9:30 am

YES! i flippin love those.

elise May 27, 2011 at 10:45 am

i like this! ECD – eggs, rarely eat them, but i had a looooot of tortilla espanola in madrid recently. cereal – well shoot, cereal alone could take a year to list out. after church when we were youngins my parents would let us have donuts. i was always partial to the old fashioned with maple glaze.

Kayla May 27, 2011 at 12:59 pm

YAY! I loved this post! You always make surveys so fun and interesting to read!

I love that photo of your niece with her hand in the sourdough! Hilarious.

Susan May 27, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I have been reading your blog for so long, I found myself already knowing the answers to some of these questions! Anyways, because it sounds fun:

S: Favourite sandwich is a toss-up between my Nana’s egg salad and fluffernutter. One for the meal, one for dessert ;)

E: Poached! That’s how I always order them in restaurants because I’m scared of doing it myself at home. Yolks HAVE to be runny.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 29, 2011 at 7:52 pm

This was GREAT! I definitely stealing this…I’m such a sucker for question/survey thingies!

H: Favorite hot beverage: Duh, COFFEE!!

L: Today’s Lunch: I went out to eat at a place called Noodles & Company and ordered the Bangkok Curry (noodles, shrimp, veggies, and curry sauce)…sadly it sounded MUCH better than it actually was! What’s that? Oh, that’s the sound of me flushing 8 bucks down the toilet! Haha!

P: How do I get my protein? Pretty much the same way as you!

-cottage cheese
-EGGS (love, love, love!)
-protein powder