WOW! blown away by all the comments on my dos años post. you guys are sweet. and i just realized that my entry requirements may have sounded like i was fishing for compliments. HA! not the case, i mainly wanted to hear what else i could do to improve the blog, but it sounds like things are smooth sailing.. so i will just keep on keepin’ on.
i have a busy day/night and so i won’t be doing a typical post.. so i typed up something somewhat entertaining. or it could be totally boring.. you decide.
in honor of today being the two year mark from my very first post on meals & moves, i thought it would be fun to copy, paste and critique my first post.
original words are in regular font. my current remarks are in bold italics.
so here i am, starting up a blog for accountability and documentation of everything i eat and all the exercise i do! while this blog is mainly for me, i hope that others can find it useful and/or entertaining. i definitely do not document nearly everything i eat and very little of the exercise i do. this blog is by no means mainly for me, but for everyone.. for the friends i have made, for the family who reads, and.. yes.. still a bit for me. i still hope everyone has found it useful and/or entertaining.
since i just spent a little too much time on the little links at the top (hi, nice to meet you & body for life, it worked for me) i really do not have the energy to ramble at the moment! but i hope this blog turns into something fabulous! is it something fabulous? my guess is yes. because it’s lasted this long. and anything that isn’t fabulous usually doesn’t make it two solid years.
i have been taking photos of my food today, and i plan to post my meals just once a day.. so i will save those photos until later tonight when all my meals for the day have been inhaled. in the meantime, i wanted to throw something up here.. and what better place to start than water? i can’t believe i used to post ALL my meals & moves EVERY day. what was i thinking? how did i find the time? i still think water is a great topic of conversation, by the way.
i love libations of all kinds, but honestly if i had to pick one thing to drink for the rest of my days, water would be my first pick. usually i opt for water over sodas and juices when i am eating out. lucky for me i LOVE water, because i know some people have a hard time chugging it down. i have a daily goal of one gallon of water. yep, that is 128 ounces of delicious h2o. yes! water will always be my first pick. although, i wrote this post before the discovery of kombucha.. and i could easily drink that business for the rest of my days. i always opt for water over sodas and juices.. and yep, still have that daily gallon goal.
i got these fabulous contigo water bottles in my easter basket. i cannot rave about these things enough. they are completely spillproof, have a clip to attach them to anything and everything, and the best part they measure your fluid intake with handy marks at 8 oz, 16 oz and 24 oz (ass well as 500 ml and 250 ml for you metric folks). they come in packs of three at costco. but if they are not at your local costco, you can pick some up off the contigo website. i can’t believe i have only been using contigo water bottles for two years. it feels like a lifetime. i love them and they changed my life! okay, that’s drastic.. but really, they really are the best water bottles ever. i am even giving one away in my dos anos giveaway. make sure you check it out before saturday night at midnight.
wow, that same exact blue one was all over my post on tuesday! goes to show these babies hold up.
i down approximately 6 or 7 of these bad boys each day, which works out to be more than a gallon. this is fine with me, because i also drink coffee every morning and i try to match each ounce of coffee consumed with an ounce of water. on average, i guzzle about 140 ounces of water each day. this makes up for my daily cup’o’joe. hmm.. i drink a lot more coffee these days. i should probably up my water consumption to match.. or just cut back on coffee..
why drink so much water? people ask me this on a daily basis. they look at me like i am ridiculous when they see me carrying around 3 water bottles and refilling them on an hourly basis. it’s true. they look at me like i’m positively bonkers. well, let me jot down a few reasons why i drink SO MUCH water: oh, can’t wait to read these. i hope they all still ring true!
- bill phillips told me to. honestly, before i knew anything about why i should be drinking a lot of water, this was my reason. my body for life book said to drink a lot of water.. so i did it. that bill phillips. he taught me a lot about food and fitness.
- i have a problem with my kidneys and bladder, and if i am not hydrated i get chronic urinary tract infections. something that i have dealt with since i was 4 years old.. and the doctors do not know why. i used to be on medication, but since i started drinking a gallon of water a day, i have not had any problems. i think this is reason enough for me to stay hydrated.. the consequences are painfully brutal. this is very true. i haven’t had a UTI in ages simply because i drink my water.
- water is zeros across the board. while i hate that bottled water has nutrition info (i think it is totally useless) i do love what that info says: zeeeero! no calories, no carbs, no nothing. why drink something else that is loaded with calories and/or sugar? drinking my calories is not something i love to do. if i am going to have sugar, i would much rather eat a bowl of ice cream rather than drink a can of pepsi. and the truth is i could probably have four bowls of ice cream to equal that one can of pepsi. i was pretty smart back then.
- water keeps you full and keeps you from eating “just because”. water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps metabolize stored fat. usually when you think you are hungry, chances are you are probably thirsty. drink a glass of water and then see if you are still hungry. i need to remember to do this more often—especially when i am eating out of boredom. which happens. more often than it should.
- water is necessary for your body to digest and absorb vitamins and nutrients. it detoxifies the liver and kidneys and carries away waste from the body. when it comes to digestion, fiber along can’t aid properly in digestion on it’s own. without water, good fiber goes bad, causing constipation and discomfort. ew. ew is right, give me another glass of water.
- if you are retaining water due to too much sodium, the best way to get RID of the water weight is to drink MORE water! this tells your body it is not dehydrated and you do not need to hold on to all that water and it will flush your body out. retained water shows up as excess weight on the scales. the scales? who needs the scales? two years ago janetha did, but current janetha most certainly does not.
- water is essential in weight loss. for the reasons i named above. to aid in digestion, to get rid of water retention, to suppress the appetite, to hydrate the muscles and to metabolize the fat. true story. that’s why i drink a lot of it. but not too much. there IS such a thing as too much water. i should have mentioned that two years ago. but i am now. so it counts.
so yeah, i love my water. for more reasons than one. i am going to go drink some now..you should too. i will be posting today’s meals later! oh boy. glad i am not flashing back to that post. it was a sight to be seen—horrible photos! but i was eating protein oatmeal, greek yogurt, granola, eggs, hummus, veggies, toast with peanut butter, cottage cheese and lots of coffee.. so i guess not much has changed.
hope you enjoyed my lil’ flashback to day one. i feel like i have come a long way since april 20, 2009. i wonder what will be going on in two more years, on april 20, 2013?! only time will tell.
do you eat the same foods that you were eating two years ago, or how have your habits changed? i eat the same things for the most part.. but i eat a lot more REAL food and waaaay less sugar free/artificial foods. although i can’t give up my SF ketchup and SF syrup.