sunday dinner.

by Janetha on February 13, 2011

in meals

i am going to chicago on thursday to visit a friend. marshall isn’t coming. consequently, marshall is already crying, “but who will make me dinner?!”

because i feel bad for my husband (and because i love to cook), i plan to make a really good dinner every night up until i leave.. starting with tonight. “really good” doesn’t even do this dinner justice. it was fantastic.

ever since seeing hasselback potatoes on joy the baker’s blog, i knew i needed them in my life. i starred the recipe and shoved it into the back of my mind. it wasn’t until allison made them the other day that i remembered how much i wanted to try them out for myself.  (don’t worry allison, i used pre-minced garlic, too.)

i started with a few red potatoes and sliced them, careful not to sever them all the way through.

next, i lined a baking dish with foil and placed the potatoes on the dish.  then, i bathed the potatoes in olive oil.

i then sprinkled the potatoes with salt, pepper and minced garlic. i skipped the butter step, because i needed all the butter in the house for the cookies i made after dinner. that’s a story for another day.

into a 425 degree oven they went!

i basted the potatoes with more oil 25 minutes into the process and then let them bake for another 25 minutes.

voila—so pretty, no?

for the main dish of tonight’s dinner, i knew i wanted to use up my bag of lemons. marshall loves anything that involves chicken and lemons, and i aim to please. please reference a couple of my recipes for proof: one pot lemon chicken & rice and chicken piccata.

i wanted to make something new with my lemons, so, of course, i turned to google. i immediately found a few recipes that A) sounded delicious and B) i had all the ingredients for. i eventually settled on “lemon chicken III recipe”, which, if you ask me (and pretend you did) is a lame name for a recipe. i have made the executive decision to re-name my version of this recipe.

brown sugar coated lemon chicken.

adapted from allrecipes.com

• two 8 oz organic boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp coarse ground sea salt
  • 1-2 tb extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (3 lemons should do ya)
  • 1/2 cup all natural chicken broth/stock
  • scant 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1-2 tsp cornstarch or 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (dissolved in a bit of water)

i started things off by juicing my lemons.

IMG_8044IMG_8046

next, i butterflied the chicken. i always butterfly my chicken breasts because it creates more surface area which=more flavor!

i combined the flour, paprika, pepper and salt in a small bowl.

i love the color of paprika!

i had a skillet with the olive oil heated to medium high heat. after dredging the chicken in the flour mixture, i placed each piece in the hot pan.

after it sizzled for about 3 minutes, i flipped the chicken pieces.

look at that color!

i let the chicken cook for another 3 minutes on this side and then transferred it to a baking dish. next, i deglazed the pan with the chicken broth and the lemon juice. i poured the mixture over the chicken.

finally, i sprinkled brown sugar on the chicken before putting it into a 350 degree oven to bake.

after 25 minutes, the chicken was done and i pulled it out.

i set the breasts aside and transferred the liquid into a saucepan and added the thickening agent (i used xanthan gum) and brought it to a boil, then immediately removed from heat.

i steamed some fresh broccoli and cauliflower for a side dish.

all together now!

as you can see, i drizzled the sauce over the chicken and the hasselback potato. marshall put sour cream on his potato. i am sure that would be delicious!

IMG_8079IMG_8078

this dinner was time consuming, but it was simple and worth the time it took. definitely a winner.. especially the chicken. marshall went back for another piece—that is how you know it is a winner. the potatoes were fun and different, i liked them. the only thing i would change next time is i would boil them for a bit beforehand. mine was smaller than marshall’s and it was cooked perfectly, while his larger potato was not quite as soft on the inside as he would have preferred. noted.

well, one delicious dinner down, three to go! tomorrow is valentines day, which means marshall is actually doing the cooking. if you have been reading my blog for awhile, you already know what’s on the menu. the rest of you.. stay tuned!

1. have you heard of hasselback potatoes? have you tried them?

2. what did you have for sunday dinner?

Green Dog Wine February 13, 2011 at 7:57 pm

YAY! :) I’m not the only one who resorts to pre-minced garlic ;) miss you friend!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black February 13, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Your dinner looks fan-freaking-tastic!!!! And those potatoes came out GREAT- nice slicing!

Laura (starloz) February 13, 2011 at 8:10 pm

the second i saw the potatoes on joys blog, i’ve wanted them, i’m even more in need now!

Laura February 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm

I love hassle back potatoes! A trick I use is to put the potatoes on a wooden spoon and cut them on that. The dip in the spoon is the perfect size to keep the potato in one piece while still being able to cut deep :)
Your dinner looks amazing. Feel free to move to New Zealand and make me dinner every night :)

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 13, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Awesome dinner! Can I come over tomorrow night?

janetha @ meals and moves February 13, 2011 at 8:17 pm

haha YES, we can have a romantic vday dinner for 3!

actorsdiet February 13, 2011 at 8:15 pm

i’ve always wanted to make those potatoes! but in my mind i keep calling them elizabeth hasselback potatoes.

sofia February 13, 2011 at 8:22 pm

holy yumminess, that chicken looks amazing. not a huge potato-eater but this might convert me?

my sunday dinner was an easy night out at the cheap-y asian fusion place across from the boyfriend’s new apartment. tons of veggies, chicken and good sauce at a super low (for NYC standards, at least!) price. a+ meal, especially since i haven’t been cooking very much at all lately. what’s up with that?

edenseats February 13, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I wish my sunday night dinner was as good! I was tired, so I took a nap at 6pm and actually just woke up to your lovely post!

I have indeed heard and made hassleback potatoes, Its my favorite way to eat potatoes (second to french fries, of course!).

susan February 13, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Those potatoes look so good – like little armadillos! Whoa that sounded weird. I don’t eat armadillos…or do I?

I think you should leave a camera with Marshall to document his dinner adventure in your absence.

jackie February 13, 2011 at 8:42 pm

i have made hasselback taters and they are delish! i have a similiar recipe for lemon chicken that came from a ward cookbook so you know its goood!

we ate steak and oven french fries and a big salad. week 5 of bfl and am feeling pretty good! the oven fries were salty and just as good as fried fries. yum.

janetha @ meals and moves February 13, 2011 at 8:47 pm

dude. ward cookbooks are the best. i use the one from my childhood ALL the time.

Amanda February 13, 2011 at 9:05 pm

I book-marked the Hasselback potatoes too. They look like they’d go perfect with the chicken. We have a ton of lemons to use up, I should make this! I don’t make chicken often enough. (I did make chicken parm tonight though!)

With the chicken parm we also had broccoli with lemon and a side salad with honey mustard, carrots, red cabbage and feta cheese. I used the Pioneer Woman’s recipe for the chicken parm. Holy lord it was good!

simplyshaka February 13, 2011 at 9:06 pm

OMG. I am starring this on my Google Reader, I must try this meal.

I havent tried Hasselback potatoes but I am sure from now on I will call them Hasselhoff potatoes haha. This looks like a fun way to mix it up with the standard chicken and potatoes though–thanks for sharing!

I have spinach dip stuffed mushrooms, they were delicious and easy to make!

Ashley @ 365 things February 13, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Nice work! Those potatoes are now on my list of things to try. :)

I made Italian crockpot chicken…which was deeelicious! Served with roasted broccoli. The Mr. went back for 2nds, so it was a hit. Love when that happens. :P

janetha @ meals and moves February 13, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Oh, I would love the recipe!

kristy @ ksayerphotography February 13, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I have THE BEST tip for hasselback potatoes that I just have to share, next time when you’re cutting them place the potato in a big serving spoon/cooking spoon and then cut, that way your knife will stop when it hits the outside edge of the spoon and not cut all the way through :)

purplebirdblog February 13, 2011 at 9:14 pm

LMAO at lemon chicken III. I wonder what I and II were.

Heather February 13, 2011 at 9:16 pm

i thought about making hasselback potatoes for project food blog but went with a seafood theme instead…but they’re so yummy :)

i absolutely love that lemon chicken recipe…and am actually making it tomorrow!

TheNewHealthy February 13, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I’ve never heard of Hasselback potatoes–but they sound (and look) delish!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 13, 2011 at 10:04 pm

my mom used to make potatoes like that when i was a kid…had no idea there was a proper name for them! now, i need to make them!!

and sometimes my parents would wrap them in foil and throw them on top of the grill. Because anything and everything that COULD be grilled, was.

Have fun in Chi Town!

Runeatrepeat February 13, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I’ve never seen that kinda potato. Weird, but intriguing…

MelissaNibbles February 14, 2011 at 2:48 am

I’ve never heard of those potatoes, but they sound tasty!

Cathy K February 14, 2011 at 4:24 am

way to go on the sunday night supper, janetha! can’t wait to see what else you have planned for this week…and for dinner tonight (i guess i have not been reading long enough to know what is on the menu!!!).
you know that sayii=ng, “a way to a man’s heart is thru his stomach” ?? haha, how often does that not come true, eh!
happy heart day!

Lauren February 14, 2011 at 4:48 am

Awwww, poor Marshall! But what a sweet wife he has to not leave him on an empty stomach. Your dinner looks amazing! I love the recipe for the chicken. I think this would also be fantastic on fish.

Have a wonderful time lady!! Eat some Deep Dish Pizza for me! :)

Erica February 14, 2011 at 4:52 am

I’ve been wanting to make those potatoes- they look amazing! Josh is the same way when I go out of town! Happy happy Valentine’s day <3 We had breakfast for dinner last night :) I made Josh his favorite- waffles!

Erika February 14, 2011 at 5:14 am

That meal looks fabulous! I’ve never tried Hasselback potatoes – they look really cool though.
Yesterday my family and I had homemade pizza for dinner. It’s a family tradition – every Sunday we have pizza.
Happy Valentine’s Day! :]

Katie February 14, 2011 at 5:18 am

Happy First Valentines Day celebrating as a married couple!!!!!!!!!! xoxo

The chicken dish looks AMAZING! I hope Marshall can stop crying now , lol! I know he will miss you and your cooking!

Love u!!!

Jessica February 14, 2011 at 5:48 am

If you are planning on being in Chicago over the weekend, Chicago Restaurant week starts on the 18th. For someone thats a foodie its an opportunity to get great food for a cheaper price. If I weren’t currently in prep mode for a competition- I would be hitting up a few myself.

inmytummy February 14, 2011 at 5:57 am

I have only heard of them because I saw them on Alison’s blog. They look good though.

naomi(oneifitfoodie) February 14, 2011 at 5:59 am

wow those potatoes look So good! i have never heard of them ever but now I have! what a fun recipe

i LOVE lemon on chicken its the best flavor! :)

Nicole February 14, 2011 at 6:15 am

I hadn’t heard of those potatoes until I saw the recipe on a different blog- I made them immediately, but with sweet potatoes! So good!

lowandbhold February 14, 2011 at 8:28 am

I always forget about trying that potato cooking method. Looks so neat! I don’t even like chicken and I’m salivating over that entire meal. Marshall is one lucky husband!

Stephanie February 14, 2011 at 8:50 am

I made a maple glazed salmon that was soo good. Ryan would love the lemon chicken dish! I’ll have to try it! Hasselback potatoes look so great!

Rachel (Olalliberry) February 14, 2011 at 9:37 am

I’ve been wanting to try those potatoes! Your whole dinner looks great.

Elise February 14, 2011 at 9:39 am

yum. i love how fancy the potatoes look, for something so ‘simple.’ its amazing what a little bit of presentation can do. and they sound fantastic too :)

Steph February 14, 2011 at 9:42 am

Dinner looks awesome! No butter – no bueno – at least it went towards the cause of cookies. We’ve been experiencing some rationing of baking supplies in my pantry – someone keeps stealing all the goods for booze. Imagine that…

Rose February 14, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Those potatoes are beautiful!

I went out to a ramen place last night and had something delicious. I have no idea what it was, though. hahhaha.

Kate February 14, 2011 at 1:48 pm

I have never heard of Hasselback potatoes, but they look good!!

We had Enchiladas (recipe from Cooking Light) with Trader Joe’s Harvest Grain Mix and a salad. It was yummy!!

I’ll have to try your Brown Sugar Coated Lemon Chicken dish soon!! Looks super yummy!!

Also, I’ve only ever had the chobani from Costco. I’ve never tried the other flavors, but after looking at your poll, I’ll have to go try some pineapple! (and raspberry, just because I love raspberry anything!)

I seriously love your blog. Thanks for taking the time to share!!

cbrady3 February 14, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Never heard of it, but it sounds awesome. I want to do it with a sweet potato and cinnamon sugar!

krobb February 14, 2011 at 6:11 pm

wow this looks delicious!! i’m totally going to make it!

Heather February 15, 2011 at 6:43 am

Oh my gosh, that chicken looks incredible! I am totally bookmarking this recipe!

Meagan April 23, 2013 at 8:45 am

Sounds yummy! The only thing I would change to keep this a “clean recipe” would be to ditch the brown sugar. It is just as processed as regular white sugar. Try coconut palm sugar instead!

Lorrie May 21, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Oh my!!! This is AMAZING! Can’t wait to try some of your other recipes. And I LOVE that you include the side dishes, makes it so much easier as I’m planning meals. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us!