day cinco.

by Janetha on February 10, 2011

in meals

i love saying “cinco”. it is so much more than saying “five”.

the fifth day of our mexican vacation to playa del carmen was a wednesday. our group to head out for an excursion. but not before we could get a photo in our matching T-shirts. yes, we were those people. haha, oh well, only for a day!

P1010864

can you find me and the mister? hint: i’ve got bunny ears ;)

we went to a place called xplor.

mexico 149

here is the description off their website:

Xplor is a unique underground world, with 7 amazing circuits that invite you to rediscover your emotions and senses within nature.
Dare to ride our 13 zip lines among the Caribbean’s lively nature and enjoy refreshing water landings and amazing suspension bridges; take a trip through the jungle on unstoppable amphibious vehicles, explore an underground paradise where you can swim surrounded by amazing stalactites and stalagmites, discover a matchless raft route across stunning subterranean caverns while paddling with your own hands, and to complete your feat, a nutritious and light buffet, that will recharge your energy. All this awaits you at Xplor.
The Earth is inviting you… Can you hear the beat?

there were four different activities to choose from. there was a heart at the center of xplor and signs pointing to each activity.

mexico 167

we started with the zip lines. that took 2 whole hours and there were 13 zip lines and a long water slide. we couldn’t take the camera with us since we got wet.. but i can tell you that it was a workout! there were endless stairs to climb on multiple towers. it definitely qualified as a lower body workout. each zip line whizzed over the jungle with lots of different wildlife below, such as alligators and jaguars.

after the zip lines we did the amphibious vehicles. marshall drove one of the circuits and i drove the other one. it was fun!

mexico 151

the best part was probably the super sweet orange helmets.

mexico 152

i slightly resemble a chipmunk in that photo. not sure what is going on with my mouth.

the price of the entry ticket also included an all you can eat buffet. apparently they really like all you can eat buffets in mexico..

i got a salad topped with caprese, some potato wedges, marinated mushrooms and a burger that i took one bite of and threw away. i hate wasting food, but it was straight up gross. sorry, food, into the garbage you go.

mexico 160

to fill my belly, i ate more potato wedges (they were good!) and a bowl of fresh fruit.. you can’t go wrong with fruit.

mexico 162

after lunch, we were full and tired so marshall and i took an hour-long nap in the hammocks.

mexico 168 mexico 170 mexico 172

relaxing! we were kind of over the whole thing after our naps, so we caught a cab back to the resort. not without getting a photo in front of the giant heart, of course.

mexico 175

back at the resort, marshall and i did some wandering around and took photos of the wildlife. there were lots of different animals all over the place at all times!

a flamingo pond..

IMG_7547 IMG_7567

um.. oops? guilty.

swan..

not sure what this guy is, but isn’t he adorable? we only saw 3 of these the whole time.

just wandering around on the resort pathways. anyone know what he is?

random peacocks roaming around everywhere..

mexico 088 IMG_7587

what we saw the most of were these little fellows..

they are called agoutis. aren’t they cute?

we kept calling them capybaras, but it turns out they were agoutis. after googling capybaras, i can see we were way off!

i shouldn’t have to tell you guys this.. but yes, there was more ice cream.

and more beach time.

IMG_7727IMG_7724

and more all inclusive buffet food in the form of salad and cheese and bread.

it was a co-worker’s birthday on day cinco. a clown made him a real big balloon hat. what a lucky.IMG_7734

and that, my friends, was day #5.

only two days to go! and they will both be recapped tomorrow. then we will be back to regularly scheduled programming. for a few days.. then i am off to chicago. i know, how dare i be so inconsistent with you guys and take so many vacations. sorry, but i’m not sorry!

1. have you ever zip-lined? like it? hate it? if you haven’t, do you wanna? or would you never?

2. clowns: creepy or funny?

members1sttest February 10, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Haha, what a blast!!! That food actually looks gross. Ugh, what a bummer after all the good food you had up until that point. Oh well, I guess it can’t ALL be good.
You’re coworkers seem like such a fun group.

Erica February 10, 2011 at 5:52 pm

We had a business group show up the last day or so of our trip and I couldn’t help but think of you! Very cool excursion! I think these people had to do a lot of work on their work trip…which doesn’t sound like fun at all! Those potato wedges look yummy. I think I ate 25 lbs of fruit this past week :) And yayy for ice cream! I have done a mini zip line but not a big one. I would love to do a big one! Clowns=seriously creepy!

Amanda February 10, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I am way scared to try a zipline but they sound like a ton of fun! I want to go to Mexico so bad now!

Bridget February 10, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I live in Chicago. It has been freeeeezing here but it’s supposed to warm up next week so you picked a good time to visit this great city!

janetha February 10, 2011 at 6:18 pm

That’s good news! I have never been, and we are going to visit a friend. We could have booked our trip whenever, but we did it next weekend because it is a long holiday weekend. After we booked the trip, everyone told me I was CRAZY for booking my first trip to Chicago in February because it is so miserably cold. I am used to cold temps here in Utah, but I hear it is way worse there. Here’s hoping I survive ;) Any suggestions for must-do/must-eat?

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 10, 2011 at 6:04 pm

That looks like so MUCH FUN!

marisa February 10, 2011 at 6:05 pm

LOVE ziplines… I think we need to take a trip to Costa Rica and do it! Those silly animals were in Costa Rica, too. I googled it and they are called Fuzzy Coati.

Shirley February 10, 2011 at 6:17 pm

That’d be a Coati! Adorable little things!

purplebirdblog February 10, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Hehehe capybaras are HUGE! And I want one. Though I would settle for one of these cute little guys too. :) And I’m pretty sure your mystery animal is a coatimundi. I held one at an exotic pet store here once, and it wouldn’t stop sticking its nose down my v-neck shirt. Awkward.

Jessica @ The Virtual Scrapbook February 10, 2011 at 6:35 pm

I love ziplines! I did it on a 5 month adventure in the South Pacific. Super fun!

edenseats February 10, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Flamingos, hammocks, ice cream???? I”m in heaven!

I love ziplines! I only did it once on a retreat when I was like in 9th grade but it was awesome!

Clowns always creeped me out! My dad took me to a circus when I was four and apparently I cried the whole time because the clowns scarred me. So much so, I peed on my dad (and I was potty trained by then!!!). ok tmi….shut up eden!

Becca B February 10, 2011 at 6:56 pm

that’s a coatimundi!! my family and i used to go to mexico all the time and they were everywhere!! they are like little mexican raccoons!

Katy (The Singing Runner) February 10, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I have never zip lined but I’m supposed to when I go to Costa Rica next month! I’m so excited!!!
Clowns- SCARY! ;)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 10, 2011 at 7:33 pm

Zip lines…yes, once I went in Costa Rica. It was over the (amazon) rainforest and holy beautiful. I only wish I could do it again! Maybe one day….with Skylar when she’s older.

Clowns. I dont think they are scary but whenever i post kiddie party decorations on my blog, i get at least a handful of comments about ppl freaking about clowns. I never knew there was such an uproar over them til i became a blogger!

1970kikiproject February 10, 2011 at 7:48 pm

clowns = creepy and scary!!! my earliest childhood memory EVER is of being scared by a clown who stuck his face in my two year old face – scarred for life, yup!
haha, before i paged down on this post, i saw the four options for your xplor day and thought you’d choose ziplines first- correct, yippee! glad you had fun except for the gross burger!!!
and very happy you got beach time later on!

Carbzilla February 10, 2011 at 7:51 pm

I think clowns are creepy but I had a very particular creepy clown experience when I was little.

I actually don’t think I ever have zip lined. I would though.

inmytummy February 10, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I went zip lining in Cancun and it was awesome! My poor husband had a case of Montazuma’s Revenge though. He didn’t exactly enjoy it as much as I did. The zipline, I mean.

Heather February 10, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Ziplining is pretty amazing…totally not up my alley but I love it anyway ;)

dana @ my little celebration February 10, 2011 at 8:36 pm

clowns, creepy for sure. Ewwwwwwwwwww.

Erica D February 10, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Oh, the matching shirt group! I remember my 6th grade field trip to Boston, where we all had to wear white school t shirts (they had a huge “2002” on the back) and khakis. What a horrible, horrible fashion combination!! geesh.

While I’m diving into the past, I think I last zip-lined at camp 6 or 7 years ago. It was a blast! I’m going back as a counselor this summer, so I’m hoping I can worm my way into an opportunity to do it again…

Balloons = fun. Clowns = creepy.

Erika February 11, 2011 at 5:15 am

The animals are so exotic. I love the flamingoes – they’re really bright pink! :]
Glad you had a great time. The picture of you and Marshall in front of the heart was too cute!

kristastes February 11, 2011 at 6:15 am

I have never tried ziplining, but I want to! I am loving your trip recaps, but they make me want to plan a tropical vacation :)

kristastes February 11, 2011 at 6:17 am

Oh and clowns: straight up CREEPY.

withasideofhope February 11, 2011 at 6:22 am

What a fun day! That looks like a fun time! I have never gone ziplining before. It looks scary but I think it’s something that I need to try at least once in my life. :) I hate clowns! They are so creepy and scary to me.

Errign February 11, 2011 at 7:15 am

I like cinco better than five too!

I have ziplined before, at my work in New Hampshire & while skiing in Big Sky, Montana. We actually got to ski down to where the zipline started and then got to zoom out over the ski slopes. So rad.

I love that the don’t feed the monkeys sign was in German too, btw. :)

lowandbhold February 11, 2011 at 8:32 am

1. Never, but I would!
2. Creepy. Like, pervy creepy. Ew.

Looks like such a fun trip love. And yay Chicago!

Freckled Foodie February 11, 2011 at 8:44 am

XPLORE looks SO totally awesome! i wish there was something like tha in my area!
xo.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) February 11, 2011 at 8:50 am

YES! I ziplinned in costa rica nad LOVED it it was so fun!!! I want to go sky diving soon!

Bleh I hate clowns, they just bug me and somewhat creep me out!!

I am so jealous of your time in mehiiiico!!!!

Little Miss Fitness February 11, 2011 at 8:52 am

The first and only time I zip lined was in Costa Rica. It started to rain and it was soooo beautiful. I loved it. :)

Have a wonderful time in Mexico!

todayilovemylife February 11, 2011 at 9:35 am

Ok, the one time I zip-lined, I straight up thought I was going to die. I was so freaking terrified the whole time. Not fun! I’m such a baby :)

Nicole C February 11, 2011 at 9:40 am

1 – Totally have done a zipline! We did one in Whistler, Canada from mountain to mountain over the FitzSimmons creek. AMAZING! I would do it in a heartbeat again!

2 – clowns = creepy and i hate balloons so that makes me want to punch them even more.

Have fun in Chicago, I’ve always wanted to go you lucky duck.

Tamizn February 11, 2011 at 10:04 am

Awwwwww so jealous I would love to do something like that! x x

Jess February 13, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I went ziplining in Belize, and it was fun- but again in Vancouver and it was amazing and terrifying at the same time- it was over mountains so you looked down over the valleys, it was incredible!