three ingredient pumpkin protein pancakes.

by Janetha on October 2, 2010

in meals

this morning, i finally had time to make something i have been craving for awhile now.

there are only three ingredients to the best pumpkin protein pancakes in the world.  they are:

• pumpkin
  • protein
  • pancakes

ha! how simple is that?

let’s start with the protein powder.

i like to use tera’s whey bourbon vanilla, but i have also used EAS vanilla whey in the past.  i think any old protein powder will do, just as long as you use vanilla.  then again, you could always integrate a chocolate element into the pancakes (oh, and even add chocolate chips! the wheels are turning…)

here are the stats for the protein powder i used. if you want your nutritional information to be similar to mine, aim for these numbers:IMG_0290

next up: the pancakes.

this is by far my favorite boxed pancake mix.  if you can find it, this is the one you want to use.  if you can’t, make sure you find one that only requires you to add water—not oil and eggs.

check out the great ingredient list:IMG_0288

and the stats, 7 grams of protein!

an now, the final and possibly most important ingredient: the pumpkin.

here is the exact recipe for the three ingredient flapjacks. i decided that spices and water don’t count as ingredients.  that’s my story and i’m sticking to it.

• 1/3 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/3 cup whole wheat pancake mix
  • 1 serving vanilla protein powder
  • 1/2 cup water
  • cinnamon & pumpkin pie spice, to taste

to make the pancakes, put the pumpkin, pancake mix and protein powder into a bowl.

add the water and start mixing. IMG_0295

stop mixing when it reaches batter-like consistency.  add more water if necessary.

heat your griddle to 325 degrees, or a pan over medium heat.  pour your pancakes onto the greased, heated surface.

this single-serving recipe should make 4 good sized pancakes.

this is when i add my spices.

alternatively, you could add your spices straight to the batter, but i prefer this method. i sprinkle both the cinnamon and pie spice right onto the pancakes.

IMG_0303 IMG_0302 IMG_0304

these don’t bubble up like your typical pancakes, so you need to watch them closely.  when the edges start to crisp a bit, it’s time to flip!

let them cook on the other side for another minute or two.  i like mine a tad gooey in the middle for the full pumpkin pie effect ;)IMG_0308

you can top your pancakes with whatever you’d like, but i decided to go all the way with the pumpkin theme today.

IMG_0309  IMG_0310 IMG_0312

these pumpkin protein pancakes had the perfect consistency.

the pumpkin butter added the perfect sweetness with a pumpkin pizzazz.

IMG_0317 IMG_0318

paired with a J mug of coffee, this was the perfect saturday morning breakfast.

pumpkin pie for breakfast.. the only thing missing was the whipped cream!IMG_0322

here is the nutrition label for the pancakes, pre-pumpkin butter:

and may i add, these are incredibly filling.  i am now in a pancake coma and just might go back to bed.

1. do you like pumpkin / pumpkin flavored foods? one of my best friends hates both pumpkin AND whipped cream. bless her soul.

2. what did you have for breakfast?

Erica October 2, 2010 at 10:33 am

I just forwarded this recipe to friends & my inlaws! They came out perfect (…have I told you lately that all of your food looks amazing ;)). I <3 pumpkin big time. I am totally hoarding cans of it this year. Breakfast was a mish mash because I ran a race this AM

janetha October 2, 2010 at 10:42 am

thanks! i hope you rocked your race. i am sure you did.. i haven’t read blogs in a couple days but i can’t wait to check out your recap :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 2, 2010 at 10:37 am

Pumpkin is a weakness for me! Seriously, I have to ration it. I don’t know why I love it so much, but I do. Pumpkin pancakes are my all time favorite! Yours look perfect and you took them right over the top with that pumpkin butter! YUM!

I had apple cinnamon oats and they were delicious! Have a great day…no doubt after starting out with the pumpkin pancakes…it will be perfect!

janetha October 2, 2010 at 10:42 am

hey, at least it is healthy! i don’t think a pumpkin addiction is so bad ;)

kristastes October 2, 2010 at 10:40 am

I love pumpkin flavored foods! Especially in muffin form. I made pancakes this morning too…of the blueberry variety :) holler!

Hallie October 2, 2010 at 10:40 am

Oh fun recipe! I wanna try….this morning I had Greek yogurt, pumpkin, cereal, and almond butter for breakfast. So almost like the lazy (wo)man’s version of what you had…well not really but there was pumpkin and protein, haha.

Paije October 2, 2010 at 10:42 am

What is the difference between Libby’s pumpkin and all the others?? Is it that much better?

I just got a waffle iron yesterday so I had waffles for breakfast! And dinner last night, too heh heh :)

janetha October 2, 2010 at 10:44 am

HOORAY for waffle irons! seriously! they are the best! this recipe would work as waffles, too. i don’t think libby’s is WAY better than the others, i am not picky with my pumpkin. BUT, libby’s is at costco :)

Amanda (The Nutritionist Reviews) October 2, 2010 at 10:42 am

Yum! Those look awesome! Especially with the pumpkin butter!

Ariffa October 2, 2010 at 10:43 am

I’ll bet a scooop of greek yogurt would make a decent sub for whipped cream! I love yogurt with pancakes anyways =D

I had a yogurt mess for breakfast! plain yogurt+strawberries+necraine slices+raw oats+honey+pb

janetha October 2, 2010 at 10:45 am

ariffa, that is a brilliant idea! next time, for sure.

trisha December 3, 2012 at 1:26 pm

YES!!! When I make pancakes (pumpkin usually as well) or french toast, I love making a greek yogurt “sauce/spread” .. this a.m was 2 TB of greek yogurt with 1 TB of betty lou’s organic powdered pb..with a few drops of vanilla stevia. I spread in the middle of the 2 slices of bread, or between the pancakes, then put my reduced frozen fruit sauce over top! (today made a pb and “jelly” french toast.) YUM

Kailey (SnackFace) October 2, 2010 at 10:59 am

GD, Janetha, these look friggin amazing! Hungry again….! Do you think I could get away with using peanut flour in lieu of protein powder? Or are there gums in the protein powder that help with the perfect pancake texture? Thanks, J!

janetha October 2, 2010 at 11:18 am

truth be told i am too lazy to walk to the kitchen to see the ingredients. BUT, the pancake mix works without the protein powder, so i think adding peanut flour would work brilliantly (and add great flavor!).. give it a go and report back. over and out!

Carbzilla October 2, 2010 at 11:03 am

I’m so in love with the Kodiak mix that when it went MIA I had a little freak out. Now that it’s back in the stores, I have a back-up box at all times. :)

Lisa Marie October 2, 2010 at 11:05 am

Janetha, you terrible terrible woman! Number one pregnancy craving is… Pancakes! I’ve tried SO hard to stay away from them, I was eating plates of them every day.. Now, off to the kitchen to make these.
However, I don’t have any protein powder.. Hmmm guess I should buy some.

<3 you and congrats on the 'getting hitched' btw! (I've been out of the loop, all things considered.)

lovelyliller October 2, 2010 at 11:12 am

Jummy!!

Meg October 2, 2010 at 11:17 am

Pancake coma = my kinda coma! These look AMAZING, Janetha.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 2, 2010 at 11:23 am

Uh, YUM!!! I really want to try that Kodiak mix but have never seen it before. Whenever I see it used the pancakes always look the perfect consistency…and with HEALTHY stuff.

inmytummy October 2, 2010 at 11:27 am

Where do you find the Kodiak mix? I have never seen it before.

janetha October 2, 2010 at 12:07 pm

they are a local brand, but i do know they are available in other states because other blogger friends (like tiffany up there) love their products. you can find them online in a 6 pack, trust me.. it is worth it.. http://www.amazon.com/Kodiak-Cakes-Frontier-Flapjack-24-Ounce/dp/B003EJ9KLO

crunchygranolagal October 2, 2010 at 11:30 am

Holy cow, these look phenom… definitely comment-worthy in my book. My question: where do you buy kodiak mixes? I’ve never seen them in stores!

crunchygranolagal October 2, 2010 at 11:31 am

PS was being facetious about the comment-worthy thing ;)

closet365project October 2, 2010 at 11:59 am

I am so making these this week! Thank you!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black October 2, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Wow, that breakfast looks mighty good, even though no, I am not big on pumpkim foods! However, since the blogosphere has been exploding with pumpkin recipes, it’s making me wanna change my mind and try it again! My breakfast was much less exciting- plain oatmeal to fuel my mornin workout.

Maren October 2, 2010 at 12:52 pm

so where did you find that Kodiak Cakes pancake mix? I seriously need to get some. And I need new protein powder…I just don’t know what to buy! Plus I’m poor so I’m avoiding the purchase:) I love ALL things pumpkin! I had a pumpkin breakfast cookie! YUM!

Maren October 2, 2010 at 12:53 pm

p.s. I just creeped above and see that they’re local. DARN!

Jenny October 2, 2010 at 1:31 pm

I LOVE pumpkin! Every Halloween we make Pumpkin Chili, with fresh pumpkin and served in a pumpkin. It is SOOO good. I went to the Farmers Market this morning mostly because I was CRAVING a feel good buckwheat pancake. Have you tried them yet? I’m not sure what the name of the booth is but they only serve the pancakes. They put peanut butter, chocolate nutella, oats, raspberries, dried cranberries and bananas on top. AMAZING!!! When I got home I was hungry again so I mixed up some of your pumpkin Greek yogurt. It’s YUMMY! And pairs perfectly with my iced Americano.

julie October 2, 2010 at 1:43 pm

i hate you. hahahahaha you know i love you. but i hate you for not posting this recipe last night so i could have made these THIS MORNING. and i can’t even make them tomorrow morning because i have to be at work at the buttcrack of dawn. so that is why we’re no longer friends.

and also why i’m coming over for 3-ingreed pancakes next weekend

mom October 2, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Hey Julie I thought I held the corner on the phrase “buttcrack of dawn” haha!!
xoxo momma b.

Sarah B. October 2, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I love pumpkin! Fall is one of my favorite seasons because every restaurant brings out their pumpkin food. This morning I had pumpkin, sugar free syrup, and cinnimon mixed into greek yogurt and then I topped that with a chocolate vita top. It was amazing!

Those pancakes look amazing! I will have to make them tomorrow for breakfast :)

homecookedem October 2, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I love pumpkin!! This recipe looks fantastic!! I will have to make these SOON!! :)

For breakfast this morning, Andrew made us a pot of oats with homemade fig preserves on top. Omg, sooooooooooo GOOD!! :)

Have a great Saturday, Janetha!! :)

Kelly October 2, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I burned myself out on pumpkin a few year ago and I still haven’t gotten over it! :(

Marie October 2, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Mmm, I am soo obsessed with all things pumpkin! Your pancakes look so good. I keep hearing about that pancake mix; I’ll have to scope it out. When I saw Libby’s back on the shelves last week, I bought 12 cans. I didn’t know they sell them at Costco! I’ll have to check it out!

I had a breakfast burrito with leftover roasted potatoes we had for dinner last night. ;)

mom October 2, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I smiled when I got to the end of your photo journey today because I KNEW there would be a photo of an empty plate and fork – and what do you know – there it was! Love when those things happen to me.

I love, love, love the pumpkin flavor!! And for breakfast today I had my last banana bread muffin mmmmm good, thanks for sharing! (I think dad may have had just one slice, oops, guess I ate the rest) xoxo

melissadishes October 2, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I LOVE pumpkin. I made that Mac and cheese you posted the other day and it was divine. Had all things I love: pasta, cheese, cottage, and pumpkin!

For breakfast I had mocha-brownie oats before I ran my Saturday long run. Afterwards I had a skinny cinnamon dulche latte from Starbucks. Almost went for the pumpkin spice latte, but I didn’t want any real sugar after my run, wasn’t in the mood ;-)

Texas Gunslinger October 2, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Oh wow, those really DO look so good and SO EASY! 3 ingredients? Now, that’s *my* kinda cooking!

It’s a little disappointing that I can’t buy that pancake mix in stores, but I bet I could find another brand of mix with equal stats (or close to it) if I look hard enough. Here’s hopin’ at least!

I had the usual oatmeal w/ almond milk, cinnamon and SF cookie dough syrup + bee pollen and truvia and egg whites w/laughing cow cheese on the side. I NEVER get sick of this breakfast (good thing, too, since I eat it every.single.day!

Tay October 2, 2010 at 3:27 pm

UM YUM!!! You know I love pumpkin flavored things. A bit too much…

This AM I had a yogurt mess. And damn was it good! But I’ve been craving pancakes for a while now.

Mary (A Merry Life) October 2, 2010 at 3:37 pm

LOVE these. I really want some pumpkin or sweet potato pancakes, but I haven’t gotten around to making any. These look amazing.

Patricia Braithwaite October 2, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Pumpkin is a favorite of mine. For my birthday last week I had pumpkin pie instead of cake! Yep, it was the best. I must make your pumpkin pancakes as well as the yogurt. I actually went out to buy pumpkin today. I saw it at costco and didn’t get it thinking that I didn’t need that many cans of pumpkin. Went to another store and they didn’t even have any! Can you believe it? I’m going back to costco. One can never have too much pumpkin I told myself. Soooooooooo……happy fall and pumpkin eating :)

Andrea@WellnessNotes October 2, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Your breakfast looks great!!! I love pumpkin butter!!! In fact, last year I bought extra jars, and I still have two left… :)

I had oatmeal with just a bit of pumpkin butter, Greek yogurt & walnuts. Love your oatgurt (? is that what you called it???) idea and eat it almost every morning… :)

janetha October 4, 2010 at 11:36 am

yoatgurt! i need to have some soon!

kbwood October 2, 2010 at 5:15 pm

amen girl- i am LOVING those 3 easy ingredients!!! YUMM!!!! seriously craving everything pumpkin these days!!

christine October 2, 2010 at 5:41 pm

just made these for dinner (i heart breakfast for dinner) and they were AMAZING! with a little blob of dark chocolate peanut butter they were the perfect dinner. this will definitely be a fall staple…thanks!

janetha October 4, 2010 at 11:36 am

mmm what a great topper! i will have to do that next time–i have some chocolate hazelnut butter. yum.

actorsdiet October 2, 2010 at 6:34 pm

pump pump pump pumpkin!!! love it. yet i haven’t had it yet in months – what is wrong w me?!?

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) October 2, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Those look fantastic! I LOVE pumpkin things. Especially oats, muffins, lattes and beer. :P

This morning I went out and got a bagel with garlic & herb cream cheese for breakfast!

xo
Kris

runningaroundnormal October 2, 2010 at 8:34 pm

LOL I love that you don’t count the spices and the water :D Three ingredients has a much better ring to it, I agree;) They look delicious either way!
I had a protein waffle for breakfast this morning – very tasty!

GetHealthyWithHeather October 2, 2010 at 8:42 pm

I am cracking open a can of pumpkin tomorrow morning! I can never get enough of pumpkin in my system. I’ve seen that pancake brand before and thought about trying it.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 2, 2010 at 9:38 pm

tera’s whey bourbon vanilla–omg i would love to try that. I think the whey would obliterate my intestines though. oh i want it. I love TJ’s bourbon vanilla and this would just be the end all be all!

love your recipe does not call for eggs or dairy. as long as i get a box of GF mix, I am so there!

and i love the pumpkin butter AND those spice islands spices. I have all of the above in my cupboards!

Heather October 2, 2010 at 11:54 pm

Oh my gosh! Those pancakes look incredible! I love ANYTHING with pumpkin in it, whether it be sweet or savory!

This morning, I actually did it up pumpkin style too with some pumpkin oats! Been playing around with the recipe…this was run number 2…getting close, but still not as WOW! as I want it to be!

Valerie October 3, 2010 at 1:18 am

those pancakes look great! here’s a really good and simple pumpkin butter recipe thanks to Kristin at Iowa Girl Eats:

1/4 cup apple juice/water

15 oz pumpkin puree

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

3/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Cook on high for an hour, then cook fofr 5-6 hours on low, stirring about every hour until the butter is dark brown.

It’s heavenly :)

janetha October 4, 2010 at 11:37 am

thanks for the pumpkin butter recipe!

BroccoliHut October 3, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Love this! I have had epic failures in trying to make my own pumpkin pancake recipe…

fitmypants October 3, 2010 at 8:11 pm

These pancakes look absolutely delicious! I just bought some Libby’s myself, so I’m definitely going to be trying this recipe out!

lowandbhold October 4, 2010 at 7:41 am

I do not like pumpkin. I wish I did, but it just doesn’t do it for me. I like it baked into things okay, but that’s about it. I really, really don’t like pumpkin flavored things like pumpkin beer or pumpkin coffee. Ick.

I had a breakfast burrito this morning, it was super yum!

Freckled Foodie October 4, 2010 at 7:58 am

gosh darnnn it, where do you find tera’s whey protein?! haha. do you have to order yours online?

these look FAB.

janetha October 4, 2010 at 8:03 am

Whole foods!

elise October 4, 2010 at 10:30 am

oh buddy. i want those now.
ps i recognize that cinnamon spice container!!

janetha October 4, 2010 at 11:30 am

C&B represent! i get excited when i see your C&B coffee mug :)

Lara (Thinspired) October 4, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Just catching on your posts, J! Loved the one about commenting. Consider this an odd comment since it will encompass my thoughts on your last three posts or so ;)

“Top shelf” gin…my kinda girl ;)
These pancakes…DROOL
And lastly, I am so glad you told me about National Cookie Day last week because it gave me an excuse to eat the ones I had just baked :)

a taste of health with balance October 5, 2010 at 8:45 am

ohhh these look sooo goood!! now i only have to find the batter mix where you just add water..